Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Wood glue is not PVA glue, but it might do the job. I use Elmer's hobby glue, which is tackier than regular white glue and sticks to bases well. Painting glue isn't too hard on a brush if you wash it right afterwards, but I use an old brush just in case. You should also basically never be painting on superglue - I think this is the main reason people tend not to use superglue for basing (aside from the fact that it costs a lot more than PVA glue).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Rurea posted:

Either this or some isopropyl alcohol.

Any particular amount? I'd imagine its at least 50:50.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Any particular amount? I'd imagine its at least 50:50.

Yeah start it out at 1:1 ratio of paint to thinner. Then you can adjust if you need different results.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
If you're going to be painting PVA glue, make sure you water it down a bit. You want it to be a little bit glompy, but still smooth enough to paint. And adding a tiny bit of detergent stirred in will break the surface tension and stop it from pooling.

e: PVA glue is wood glue, but wood glue is not PVA glue. :pseudo:

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Klungar posted:

Well, here are the end results of my first (and more than likely last) excursion into miniature painting. I had fun, but the missus was unhappy with the results of hers, even though I think she did a better job than me. Neither of them compare to your masterpieces, but they are much cooler than the pre-painted plastic minis our friends are using, and that's all that matters! Thanks for all the help, goons!

If your wife did the female model tell her to paint some pants onto that loving woman for Christ's sake.

e: I see I have been beaten but fucks given are minimal.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

If your wife did the female model tell her to paint some pants onto that loving woman for Christ's sake.

e: I see I have been beaten but fucks given are minimal.

It's a different color from the skin, the camera just doesn't capture it correctly? v:confused:v

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

bhsman posted:

It's a different color from the skin, the camera just doesn't capture it correctly? v:confused:v

This. Also, I don't know about you gents, but I'm not about to ever tell my girl to put pants on.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Klungar posted:

This. Also, I don't know about you gents, but I'm not about to ever tell my girl to put pants on.

Because she doesn't exist.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Because she doesn't exist.

I'll try to get a better picture when we play in two weeks :rolleyes:

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
More stupid Airbrush questions, I've never used one but after reading HKR's short guide I know that I should be wearing a respirator, can I get away with one of the jock strap ones for the short term while I try one out or will that not do me a bit of good. Also the descriptions make it seem reminiscent of spray paint in their behavior, should I be using this outside or can I get away with working near a window and just use a fan to ventilate things?

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I have never once used a respirator when airbrushing. I do it in the garage with the door open. I don't think I have any kind of lung problems so far...

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
For the love of god get a respirator. One of the $30 cheapos at your local hardware store is all you need. Use it when priming stuff, too.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I inhale the poo poo out of paint when I'm priming indoors because I am manly as all loving hell.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I inhale the poo poo out of paint when I'm priming indoors because I am manly as all loving hell.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I inhale the poo poo out of paint when I'm priming indoors because I don't have lung fibrosis in the family, and it's time to do something about that.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Five million people worldwide are affected by pulmonary fibrosis :ohdear:

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

That disease is made up.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax
when I re-varnished my army with dullcoat after using a brushon that made them look way too shiny, I tied my finace's scarf around my face, opened a window and retreated to the other side of the room if I got any blowback from the noxious cloud.

was lightheaded as gently caress.

I mainly brush everything on, but I wasn't going to rebrush 200 models!

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
If you have a good exhaust/ventilation system, you could likely get away with a facemask. Or, if you are willing to get one of those silly Dyson fans, you can spray into the hoop and let the power of ionized air spray for you, and away from you at the same time! :v:

Honestly, if you are spray-priming outside, and you aren't huffing the fumes, and the wind isn't blowing towards you, you should be fine with holding your breath.

If you must prime inside and you don't have an industrial exhaust hood (and really, who does), then a true respirator is not only a sound investment in keeping you from getting headaches, it's a sound investment in your well-being.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Seriously guys, its not like going outside is that hard. Even if you live in an apartment and don't have any sort of yard, go to the parking lot or wherever they keep the dumpster or the roof or something. Otherwise I guess I will check in on you in the respiratory failure megathread in twenty years.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Ashcans posted:

Seriously guys, its not like going outside is that hard. Even if you live in an apartment and don't have any sort of yard, go to the parking lot or wherever they keep the dumpster or the roof or something. Otherwise I guess I will check in on you in the respiratory failure megathread in twenty years.

But then people can see you being a nerd.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Ashcans posted:

going outside

That would involve possible human interaction :ohdear:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

djfooboo posted:

That would involve possible human interaction :ohdear:

forget that, it would definitely involve exposure to the sun

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

gently caress that do you know how cold it gets out here? Besides most people who paint for a living(yes even outside) wear face masks for a good reason

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
A decent mask costs less than a single tactical squad, regiment box, whatever. Go buy one and use it you cheapasses.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I actually spray in my palatial garage that holds five cars :smug:

(with the doors shut no mask)

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

I prime my models with spray, in my garage, side door open, usually while having a cigarette. I am the manliest ham here.

EDIT: the side door is open to let out the cigarette smoke.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Plotterboy posted:

I prime my models with spray, in my garage, side door open, usually while having a cigarette. I am the manliest ham here.

EDIT: the side door is open to let out the cigarette smoke.

I smoke a fat blunt while I'm priming with the door shut and a brick of coke burning on an open fire in the corner. You have nothing.

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head

enri posted:

Fortunately this isn't a danger here. :britain:

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
the weather here means you can only get a good spray prime about 3 months out of the year, so indoors it is.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Myopic posted:

Fortunately this isn't a danger here. :britain:

That's your own fault for living in the north west! :v:

It's been gloriously sunny down here... for a bit. OK so it's overcast now, what of it eh? EH?!

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

enri posted:

Yea, who's big fuckin' idea was it to have the earth next to a gigantic ball of fire?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Mr.Booger posted:

the weather here means you can only get a good spray prime about 3 months out of the year, so indoors it is.

So what you're saying is you have to prime your entire army in those three months, then paint nonstop the other 9.

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008

bhsman posted:

Yea, who's big fuckin' idea was it to have the earth next to a gigantic ball of fire?

149,598,000 kilometers is hardly adjacent!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Fyrbrand posted:

A decent mask costs less than a single tactical squad, regiment box, whatever. Go buy one and use it you cheapasses.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

149,598,000 kilometers is hardly adjacent!

That's only 1 AU, man. Just 1. poo poo.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Still curious on weather I can use the airbrush inside, will it stay in the same spot or will I be putting a fine mist all over my room?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Still curious on weather I can use the airbrush inside, will it stay in the same spot or will I be putting a fine mist all over my room?

I airbrush in the kitchen with a home-made cardboard backboard & the extractor fan on, no funny blue mist everywhere, you should be good.

When I prime I actually do it in the attic with a mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I'm about to order a series of paintbrushes, and I wanted to ask in the opinion of the painters here, if you had to get 4/5 brushes, what sizes would you get? I figure they will all be either Winsor & Newton Miniature, Pointed Round, or Raphael 8404 brushes, I just don't know what sizes I should get. I was considering getting W&N mini 0/3, 0/2, 0, and getting W&N pointed 1. Are these too small for normal use? Should I get a size 2 or 3 as well?

So, to restate the question, if you had to buy 5 brushes for painting minis, what would they be?

• Locked thread