Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Playtime is absolutely essential. There's no other film like it.

For that matter, Trafic is worth seeing if you find a stray copy or wish to shell out for it on Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Egbert Souse posted:

Playtime is absolutely essential. There's no other film like it.

Agreed. Before I saw Playtime I saw Trafic, which I thought was kind of charming. I was blown away by the delightful cleverness of it all and it immediately became one of my favorite comedies.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I brought only one coupon since I was planning on getting the Yojimbo/Sanjuro two pack, but the guy said it wasn't in their computers. He went onto the Criterion site to verify its existence so he wasn't being a douche about it but :argh: Barnes & Noble :argh:

Still, averaging to 16 each isn't so bad.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Thanks to my inability to keep track of all my orders, I've got two copies of Le Doulos en route to me. Whoops. Anyone know if you can return an online B&N order to a brick & mortar store? Maybe I'll swap it for For All Mankind or something.

Criminal Minded posted:

If I do decide to get another blu-ray or two, which do you guys recommend?

Stagecoach (seen, really liked)
Playtime (haven't seen, saw Mr. Hulot's Holiday and really liked)
El Norte (haven't seen)
Close-Up (haven't seen)
Wages of Fear (haven't seen)
Complete Monterey Pop (haven't seen but have heard so to speak)

My picks would be Playtime and El Norte, with Close-Up as a close third. But if you know you like Stagecoach then that seems like a no-brainer.

Anyone blind-buying Monterey Pop is taking a huge risk.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
What's the window between "out of print" and "Jesus Christ, there's no way to get this at a reasonable price!"? I just noticed something I want was on the recent OOP list.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Make sure to check your local store first, my B&N still had tons of stuff that was recently taken out of print.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Make sure to check your local store first, my B&N still had tons of stuff that was recently taken out of print.

Yeah my old B&N (it closed permanently a few months back :( ) had a DVD of Ran for months after it went OOP. Sometimes you get lucky.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
I know that blu-ray of Ran that came out had a lot of critics, if I don't have a copy of Ran is it worth tracking down the criterion or should I just get the blu-ray?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

LightsGameraAction posted:

I know that blu-ray of Ran that came out had a lot of critics, if I don't have a copy of Ran is it worth tracking down the criterion or should I just get the blu-ray?

The Blu-Ray is not as good as it could be, not by a longshot. One of the weakest Blu-Rays I own. But it still looks better than the Criterion. It's also the only version I've seen where the colors didn't look slightly off.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
Yeah, the Ran Blu-Ray is highly problematic, but it's still the best-looking version out there. Don't even bother with the Criterion DVD.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

What's the window between "out of print" and "Jesus Christ, there's no way to get this at a reasonable price!"? I just noticed something I want was on the recent OOP list.

It depends. Pierrot Le Fou is still for sale at MSRP or lower.

I was fairly close to stockpiling The Third Man to resell at my cost to throw off all the $50 used listings on Amazon. :v:

Eric WK
Apr 10, 2008

i'm a festival,
i'm a parade.
Is there a list floating around of which Blu-Ray releases have replacement cases? I own a few of the early releases (The 400 Blows, Chungking Express, etc.) so I know those do, but I have about twenty new Blus coming from the Barnes & Noble sale and wouldn't mind ordering the replacements early. And is there anything that comes in a Digipak with no replacement available?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think every Blu Ray that came in a digipak has a replacement case.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I'm curious, what's the reason to switch from digipak to a different case? Is it just so all your movie spines look the same?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

mod sassinator posted:

I'm curious, what's the reason to switch from digipak to a different case? Is it just so all your movie spines look the same?

lots of people hate the digipacks for various reasons; i think people complained about them falling out of the slipcases when they took them off the shelf, didn't bother me since i just threw away the slipcase.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

They're a bit flimsy and tend to form more of a rhombus shape instead of a rectangle, unless you work on them a bit. I don't really mind them.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

mod sassinator posted:

The digipak is cardboard, easier to damage. The plastic is much more durable and the same height as other Blu-Ray cases.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
They're so drat small, my copy of The Third Man looks puny next to the big sturdy plastic cases. And they're definitely more irritating to handle. I have no idea why they went with the open top and bottom design, either.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

FitFortDanga posted:

They're a bit flimsy and tend to form more of a rhombus shape instead of a rectangle, unless you work on them a bit. I don't really mind them.

Yeah, I actually kind of prefer the way the digipaks look to the regular plastic cases but only when they're pristine and still rectangular. Unfortunately every digipak at every Barnes and Noble around here is squashed.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
Not to derail the digipak conversation or anything, but I wanted to chime in with the blu-rays I picked up during the bn sale....

Bigger Than Life- I picked this up based on the reactions of some people on here, and was it ever great. James Mason's performance is just all over the place (in a great way), and it's a gorgeous movie to look at. Ray's use of shadows and light is so cool...it's like noir in color. I highly recommend picking this one up during the sale.

Days of Heaven- What an absolutely beautiful film. I had heard mixed things about it going in, and I hadn't seen any Mallick before this one. Now I'm convinced that I have to see all of his other films. Are they all this beautiful?

I also picked up Mystery Train and Gimme Shelter, but I haven't watched either of them yet. Any one pick either of these up?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

Days of Heaven- What an absolutely beautiful film. I had heard mixed things about it going in, and I hadn't seen any Mallick before this one. Now I'm convinced that I have to see all of his other films. Are they all this beautiful?
I can't think many films, period, that beautiful. I think all of Malick's films are striking, but Days of Heaven (1978) is the most visually spectacular.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

SubG posted:

I can't think many films, period, that beautiful. I think all of Malick's films are striking, but Days of Heaven (1978) is the most visually spectacular.

The one I really want to see is Badlands, which is supposedly rumored to be getting a Criterion release.

Also, to contribute to the digipak discussion, I almost all of mine, except for Last Year at Marienbad. The digipak on that one is pretty drat cool, what with the raised lettering and all.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

The one I really want to see is Badlands, which is supposedly rumored to be getting a Criterion release.
Badlands (1973) is a great film. It and Days of Heaven are the real `keepers' from Malick as far as I'm concerned. The Thin Red Line (1998), which I think is a favourite among internet reviewers, is merely okay and I can barely even remember The New World (2005).

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

The New World is absolutely gorgeous, in a different way. A very natrual depiction of, well, nature.

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

Also, to contribute to the digipak discussion, I almost all of mine, except for Last Year at Marienbad. The digipak on that one is pretty drat cool, what with the raised lettering and all.

The only digipaks I have are Marienbad and the Last Emperor and I don't want to change them because they're both very pretty.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Yeah, The New World isn't as photographically beautiful as Days of Heaven, but has a very strong thematic/emotional beauty to it. John's scenes among the natives (who are, perhaps, propped up as noble savages, but whatevs) are simply gorgeous.

I love how Malick can make me respect actors I would normally not take very seriously (Gere, Farrell, like half the cast of TTRL).

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 22, 2010

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of TTRL, since Criterion is sticking with the sub-three-hour version, is it safe to assume we'll probably never see the fabled five-hour cut of the film?

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

I love how Malick can make me respect actors I would normally not take very seriously (Gere, Farrell, like half the cast of TTRL).

This is what really caught me off guard watching Days last night. Even though he doesn't have much in the way of dialogue, Richard Gere has some intensity in the film, which is something I've never noticed in him.

I'll have to check out The New World ASAP.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Yesterday I've watched Everlasting Moments. I don't think i ever saw it mentioned here, and it was a blind purchase. I do not regret it one bit, a very fine movie. And the blu-ray is gorgeous, of course.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

This is what really caught me off guard watching Days last night. Even though he doesn't have much in the way of dialogue, Richard Gere has some intensity in the film, which is something I've never noticed in him.
Richard Gere is a pretty good actor that sorta got stuck doing a lot of stupid leading man poo poo and then got old.

I just watched the Criterion Blu Ray of Days of Heaven recently, and before I that I hadn't seen the film in probably 20 years. Before the re-watch I probably would have said that the Richard Gere role was played by Warren Beatty. It's been a couple weeks since I watched it and I still see Warren Beatty in the film instead of Richard Gere. I think this means I can't distinguish between late '60s/early '70s prettyboy actors with occasional real acting chops.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I did a blind buy of "The Leopard" on blu-ray today, thanks to the B&N sale + coupon ect... I figured for $17.50 it is worth the risk. It has two discs, the dubbed American version and the subbed original.

My question is, having never seen the film, which should I watch first or will it make a difference?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

RustedChrome posted:

I did a blind buy of "The Leopard" on blu-ray today, thanks to the B&N sale + coupon ect... I figured for $17.50 it is worth the risk. It has two discs, the dubbed American version and the subbed original.

My question is, having never seen the film, which should I watch first or will it make a difference?

Watch the subbed version. I'm pretty sure no one takes the U.S. version seriously. It's all cut up and the restoration is worse too.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

I also picked up Mystery Train and Gimme Shelter, but I haven't watched either of them yet. Any one pick either of these up?

I've seen Gimme Shelter. It's a good film in my opinion, but it's not a typical concert film. In fact, I'd say that it's far less of a concert film and more of a documentary about that particular time in the Stones' career as well as the fall of the Love Generation; the film ending with the disastrous Altamont Free Concert performance. Before I saw Gimme Shelter I never knew there was actual videotape evidence of one of the Hell's Angels fatally stabbing Meredith Hunter.

So yeah, it's kind of a downer and, to be brutally honest, the Stones' live performances during this period weren't exactly stellar but it's still very interesting if you're fascinated with that period in history.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The latest Criterion Contraption is on Gimme Shelter, and it's a really good one. I love that guy. Even when I haven't seen the film he's talking about, he's still a joy to read.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Anyone else order from the B&N website and have their order mysteriously split up? I ordered 4 films but today only 2 showed up and the invoice only lists those two. I hope the other 2 are just in a different shipment...

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

mod sassinator posted:

Anyone else order from the B&N website and have their order mysteriously split up? I ordered 4 films but today only 2 showed up and the invoice only lists those two. I hope the other 2 are just in a different shipment...

I've had that happen before with their site, no idea why. The stuff has always arrived though.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

I like it better than the promo one that was posted before.

I do hope that the promo for Darjeeling is the official though.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Why is Kirk Douglas' name bigger than Kubrick's? That doesn't seem right, or even necessary considering the cover's already a big picture of Douglas.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Why is Kirk Douglas' name bigger than Kubrick's? That doesn't seem right, or even necessary considering the cover's already a big picture of Douglas.

Might be required by the studio or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
God the BD transfer of Walkabout is so pretty. After dealing with a horrible DVD transfer I got last year it's like a whole new film.