Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOBbmdJTLdE&feature=player_embedded

Explosions and skateboarding at about 1:20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
LOL wow, donJuanSwan just got a new favorite movie.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Nobody here itching for flame bait. Dude makes a nonconstructive post about some article in some paper without actually saying anything.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Longboards are the new fixies

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

leica posted:

Longboards are the new fixies

I liked longboards before they were cool

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

loving hipsters taking our longboards :bahgawd:

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I guess were I live is an exception cause I haven't seen anyone riding a longboard since high-school.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

BrianBoitano posted:

dammit now I can't stop imagining my board all :shlick:ing below my feet :mad:

As soon as they squirt seize the opportunity for a monster slide! haha

BrianBoitano posted:

I did this for a friend!

Very interesting, thanks! We don't play lacrosse around here but I get the point. Will definitely see to build one asap.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

RobotEmpire posted:

what is with you and explosions

it won't be long before the slalom events are on ESPN2 and eventually part of X Games. Not sure why they're not already. It's super fast, accidents are heinous, and so on. It'll experience a couple summers of booming before leveling off and becoming a 'regular' extreme sport that everyone knows about like vert or what have you. I can see it being a summer Olympics competition in 10-20 years.

It was at one point on the X games way back when ESPN 2 was known as the deuce and when the X-Games included some lame rear end poo poo like sky surfing and other dumb stuff.

I'm not really thinking there is some sort of longboard scene though.

And it won't help local skate shops bottom lines. The money for skate shops is all in shoes and clothing.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Just got a new board, one of a kind .. An awesome LBL Humu!

Some cones went with it so, in half an hour, off I am for some slalom action. If I'm not back soon you can bet I'm still stoked riding this mischievous critter.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

I put there a "mini-bennett" and "mini-tracker", wedged it somewhat, all in all should also be a decent pumper. The 62mm wheels are gorgeous to look at, and the whole package is not that different from the boards I was riding in the 70ies.

Lurch
Mar 5, 2010

by Lowtax
I did a brilliant scorpion impression onto bitumen a few minutes ago. :rock:

My poor chest...

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Lurch posted:

I did a brilliant scorpion impression onto bitumen a few minutes ago. :rock:

My poor chest...

I think I saw this maneuver on Wipeout! Did you kick yourself in the back of the head?

Lurch
Mar 5, 2010

by Lowtax
Nah I'm too tall and ungainly for that kind of silliness. I did manage to give my new board its first real battle scar though.:haw:

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
Just logged 13 or 14 miles on my ride today. I never realized how nice it was to have wide, well-kept sidewalks and dedicated bike lanes on basically every street in the Bay Area. Going that far here is essentially an exercise in survival.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
My project over the next couple of weeks is to make a press, but in the meantime I found my dads old set of waterskis that will soon be fitted with some trucks and wheels.

Here they are glued with 6 inches cut off the back end. They are now 60x6.

Stained with a couple coats of finish.

Profile of the one I am keeping.

Nice pic of it out side.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
Wow that's really sexy. Are they flexible?

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

I think they are solid teak, with a thin slice of maple laminated in the curve. They should have a bit of natural flex.
I am trying to decide where to put the trucks at.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmFavaWtUcE&NR=1
I like where these are placed but I don't know if the old Teak can handle that much bend.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I just fixed my Ripstik and I remember it being much more fun carving downhill than doing pretty much anything else on it. Any good places in Houston to do this outside? I'm guessing some kind of bayou since that's the only kind of topography we have around here.

True, it's not a real skateboard but I have enough fun on my 8" MiniLogo at Lee & Joe Jamail; I'm just looking for another fun thing to do outside just as my summer is ending :)

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
Thought some of you might enjoy this. One of the sickest longboard sliding videos I've seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHIObEZcW38&feature=player_embedded

Watch in HD imo

Snap Your Fingers
Dec 16, 2006
I've been insightful for about 17 years.
I've been skating without risers since I got my deck and seemed to like it, but now I'm re-learning FS180s and noticing a serious problem with wheel bite when I land even a little sketchy, so I'm thinking about throwing the risers on soon.

In other news an edit from my local park made it onto YoBeat(snowboard site): http://www.yobeat.com/2010/07/24/skate-day-saturday-edwrds-park/

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Very nice videos guys thanks! I have been skating quite a bit yesterday with my kids but no camera with us, so nothing from me this time.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
It's old now but I just saw Heroin's Magic Sticky Hand for the first time at the weekend. Great vid, it's all sketchy spots and skating everything. It's the closest thing I've seen to actual skating as I know it on tape.
Really got me pumped up to get out and skate whatever, rather than getting depressed over the lack of pristine ledges and miles of smooth tarmac you see in the big name vids from the US.
I've got Live From Antarctica on my list, is there anything else a bit more recent I should check out? Something with UK spots and guys skating the unskatable would be good.

Mincher
May 12, 2008

Obscuritatem posted:

It's old now but I just saw Heroin's Magic Sticky Hand for the first time at the weekend. Great vid, it's all sketchy spots and skating everything. It's the closest thing I've seen to actual skating as I know it on tape.
Really got me pumped up to get out and skate whatever, rather than getting depressed over the lack of pristine ledges and miles of smooth tarmac you see in the big name vids from the US.

This is so true! I just watched this video today after you posted this. They absolutely tear up anything and everything they can. Thanks for bringing the video to my attention.

Babysnakes!
Oct 29, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4DfVXZ1Ov0

Dirp
May 16, 2007
Nosegrinds and heelflips over a deck all day today. :c00lbert:

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

I want to meet a person that genuinely dislikes Rob Dyrdek

(besides Big Black)

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

Dirp posted:

Nosegrinds and heelflips over a deck all day today. :c00lbert:

How did you nosegrind the deck? :c00lbert:

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Sirkus posted:

How did you nosegrind the deck? :c00lbert:

I can recommend several excellent YouTube videos. :c00lbert:

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

I started my long board press today, and am making it out of reclaimed oak planks.

I also picked up some cheap plywood at the lumber supplier, these are all topsheets from when stuff is shipped, it will be perfect for some test decks.

It included a sheet of baltic birch. :dong:

Here is the largest piece of oak after being planed and having one side jointed.

Here is the cut up pile of plywood, cut in 4 1/2 foot and 3 1/2 respectively.
The longest one is for the bottom of the press.

A couple test curves.

The 3 1/2 foot birch.

Hopefully by tomorrow evening I will have a test board in the press, and can be riding around on a ghetto plywood board by the end of the week.

iCaPpY
Sep 18, 2007

WHERE'S
MY
CHIPPY??
I'm looking into picking up my first deck and was looking for an optinion on this complete http://www.boardshop.com.au/servlet/the-5276/BLACK-LABEL-GAME-BOY/Detail

I plan on mostly using this board for commuting but will be learning tricks as I go. Apart from the wheels the rest of the kit seems fine. I'll be looking at getting some softer wheels straight away just not sure on how big I can go. Any recommendations for a suitble size?

Can't wait to start, wish I had a local shop in my area, the only one I could find was a chain surf store which sold scratched up Flip completes for $250, gently caress that.

Edit: Doesn't note the truck manufacturer which worries me.

iCaPpY fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 28, 2010

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

iCaPpY posted:

I'm looking into picking up my first deck and was looking for an optinion on this complete http://www.boardshop.com.au/servlet/the-5276/BLACK-LABEL-GAME-BOY/Detail

I plan on mostly using this board for commuting but will be learning tricks as I go. Apart from the wheels the rest of the kit seems fine. I'll be looking at getting some softer wheels straight away just not sure on how big I can go. Any recommendations for a suitble size?

Can't wait to start, wish I had a local shop in my area, the only one I could find was a chain surf store which sold scratched up Flip completes for $250, gently caress that.

I was just about to say; it doesn't say anything about the trucks.

It does underline select at purchasing? If you get a choice Indy 139's is a perfect fit for an 8" board.

Edit: Also you are probably ordering from an Australian site for a reason (you are in Australia), but just incase you're stateside skate.ly is a goon run shop that is pretty good!

Sirkus fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 28, 2010

iCaPpY
Sep 18, 2007

WHERE'S
MY
CHIPPY??

Sirkus posted:

It does underline select at purchasing? If you get a choice Indy 139's is a perfect fit for an 8" board.

Edit: Also you are probably ordering from an Australian site for a reason (you are in Australia), but just incase you're stateside skate.ly is a goon run shop that is pretty good!

Aussie born and bred. Would love to by from skate.ly if they posted to Aus, might shoot them an email. In the mean time I'll enquire what trucks are included, thanks.

Edit: Love Boardshop's phone number 1300 STOKED hahahah

iCaPpY fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 28, 2010

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007
So I'm getting back into skating, after having stopped for about 6-7 years, and I'm using a lot of my old equipment. I've got a couple decks with what was good hardware back in the day, and an old longboard with thick risers and cracked wheels.

My question is, should I look into fixing up my old boards, or should I just buy a new shortboard and a new longboard? What are the steps one needs to go about to refurb old boards? I assume you can keep the deck and the trucks, and replace wheels, hardware, bushings, and bearings. I assume any rubber item on the board will be unable to be re-used.

Alternatively, it would be nice to buy a couple of blank decks with nice hardware and just paint em myself. Advice on it all?

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Money Walrus posted:

So I'm getting back into skating, after having stopped for about 6-7 years, and I'm using a lot of my old equipment. I've got a couple decks with what was good hardware back in the day, and an old longboard with thick risers and cracked wheels.

My question is, should I look into fixing up my old boards, or should I just buy a new shortboard and a new longboard? What are the steps one needs to go about to refurb old boards? I assume you can keep the deck and the trucks, and replace wheels, hardware, bushings, and bearings. I assume any rubber item on the board will be unable to be re-used.

Alternatively, it would be nice to buy a couple of blank decks with nice hardware and just paint em myself. Advice on it all?

Well, as for the longboard, the only significant difference that has been introduced with time is the new school bolt pattern, which is a different hardware (baseplate screws) pattern, some 1/4" closer to the truck. But trucks are AFAIK always drilled for both holes so even if you change truck you should be ok.

It would be easier to give advice if you told which board you have and what do you intend to do with it. E.g. if you have a mini and want to do some dancing, I'd advise you to get a new board.

As a bare minimum you'll have to replace wheels (+ bushings?) and, probably clean bearings if they are not sealed.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube

coltron4040 posted:

Hopefully by tomorrow evening I will have a test board in the press, and can be riding around on a ghetto plywood board by the end of the week.

Nice project, I'm liking this and the waterski mod. It'll be good to see how they turn out. A friend of mine made a DIY press and his (old skool shaped) deck actually turned out quite nice. I remember he had a problem with the glue or something so it fell to bits fairly quickly though.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube

iCaPpY posted:

Sorry, double post. Looking at the drop-down it seems to be a choice between Cargo and Tracker. I've never heard of Cargo (they look alright though, like Venture copies) and Tracker are an old school brand so should be ok. I'm fairly sure they'll be 7.75 though. I don't mind 7.75 trucks on an 8'' deck but I tend to skate really wide spits, so if you've got skinny base wheels they might feel a bit narrow for you.

iCaPpY
Sep 18, 2007

WHERE'S
MY
CHIPPY??

Obscuritatem posted:

Sorry, double post. Looking at the drop-down it seems to be a choice between Cargo and Tracker. I've never heard of Cargo (they look alright though, like Venture copies) and Tracker are an old school brand so should be ok. I'm fairly sure they'll be 7.75 though. I don't mind 7.75 trucks on an 8'' deck but I tend to skate really wide spits, so if you've got skinny base wheels they might feel a bit narrow for you.

Cheers for the info, I was planning on getting bigger softer wheels for commuting so that should help. I'll probably look at some wider trucks pretty soon anyways if it will help stabilize.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Bucket Joneses posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/21/sports/21longboard.html?_r=2&th&emc=th&pagewanted=all

gently caress just kill me. gently caress this stupid poo poo.

UP DA PUNX BRO

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

Obscuritatem posted:

Nice project, I'm liking this and the waterski mod. It'll be good to see how they turn out. A friend of mine made a DIY press and his (old skool shaped) deck actually turned out quite nice. I remember he had a problem with the glue or something so it fell to bits fairly quickly though.

Yeah I have access to several glues at the moment since I repair furniture. The press solid as gently caress, but I need to do some research into what glue I need to buy board wise.
As far as wood goes my neighbor works at the lumber supplier so as soon as I have cash I am ordering some maple, bamboo, and baltic birch.

I got 3 pics taken before my camera decide to give up the ghost.

Then I finished assembly last night and and put a couple of pieces of ply in to test the shape.

The reclaimed oak is pretty, since its all weathered and full of worm holes. :nature:

Pics are horrible because I had to use photobooth on my hackentosh netbook.
Empty Press

top of press

2 sheets of ply glued with 4 hour epoxy

Crappy blank ready to cut.

The plan is to try to make a drop thru, I just need to borrow my buddies boards so I can make some traces.
It looks pretty smooth except, that I need to take the belt sander to the press an fix the angle on a couple of the ribs.

All this was done with out any plans except for looking at the toothless page. http://users.telenet.be/Toothless/Toothless/pages/instructions/press/press.html
When you make stuff out of scraps and reclaimed wood it means you have to just MacGyver it and go with your gut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Loving the in-progress shots of the DIY projects.

Thanks for sharing guys, can't wait to see the end results (i.e the scars and war wounds from 25+ MPH crashes).