Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
My NA has about 16K miles and the shifting is very tight and precise, as nice as any I've ever felt. It's logical that a Miata with 100K could benefit from replacing the parts which help hold the shifter in place though nothing is guaranteed.

Here's the link with part #s and some good before/after results later in the thread and other discussion:
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=329664

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I need to do this before I replace my motor mounts. However the fact that my exhaust almost broke in two right after the cat makes me think they are shot as well.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

omgitstheinternet posted:

Finally did my 100 mile commute in the miata today for the first time, really the first time I've driven the car outside of the bronx to brooklyn when I picked it up. Here are some weird things I noticed.

One, it sounds like a school bus. In fourth and fifth gear especially, while either accelerating or decelerating in gear, it makes a sound like a school bus, that's the best I can describe it. If I hold the gas perfectly steady it goes away, but as soon as i accelerate or take my foot off the gas to decelerate it comes back. Seems to be the most noticeable at lower RPMs.
By school bus, do you mean a "grunch, grunch, gruuuuu" sound like when you're grinding between gears but kind of softer? Poorly sound-insulated transmissions generally sound like this when you're decelerating; my WRX box sounds like this all the time and my J-body was like that in second gear. It might indicate that your synchros are going or your gear oil is old.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 20, 2010

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Recently my '95 has been making a faint but audible squeaking/squealing noise when I'm on the accelerator near or at WOT and the engine gets up around 5000-7000 RPM. It's completely independent of the gear I'm in or the speed I'm going. It's the same sound whether I'm at 6000 RPM in first or 6000 RPM in fourth. It comes on pretty quick right after surpassing ~5000 RPM, and goes away immediately if I get off the gas or shift gears. The car doesn't feel any different or any slower, and there's no vibration/shuddering/shaking or anything like that.

It kind of sounds like it's coming from the rear of the car, but it's hard to pinpoint given the conditions that it occurs in. It almost sounds like brake squealing. I know that my brakes are due for a full refresh, but I'm not confident that that is the issue unless things are in need of some serious adjustment (which I'll do soon when I do pads/rotors/lines/fluids).

Any ideas on what it might be? I really hope it's not a problem with the differential. :sweatdrop:

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 20, 2010

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Guinness posted:

Any ideas on what it might be? I really hope it's not a problem with the differential. :sweatdrop:

It shouldn't be. Otherwise it would be gear/speed specific. Not rev specific regardless of gear.

Could it be a vacuum leak?

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Wouldn't you hear a vacuum leak all the time though?

My 95M makes the same high rpm squeal and I have been at a total loss as to what it could possibly be.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Wouldn't you hear a vacuum leak all the time though?

My 95M makes the same high rpm squeal and I have been at a total loss as to what it could possibly be.

Slipping belt. Water pump or power steering. Check your tensions and pulley resistance.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Could it be something belt related? Maybe it can't "keep up" at high rpms?

e:fb.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Granite Octopus posted:

Could it be something belt related? Maybe it can't "keep up" at high rpms?

e:fb.

That was one of my thoughts. I said it kind of sounds like it's coming from the rear of the car, but considering it's a convertible with almost no sound-deadening and going WOT, that could be totally deceiving. Next time I'm out for a drive I'll try to pay extra special close attention to where it's coming from. I can't test at a stand-still since if I rev it to the limiter in neutral it doesn't put any real load on the drivetrain and doesn't make the sound - however that definitely does not rule out slipping belts under high load. I will try to investigate further.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 20, 2010

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Happy (Belated) 20th Miata.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100719/CARNEWS/100719872

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Guinness posted:

That was one of my thoughts. I said it kind of sounds like it's coming from the rear of the car, but considering it's a convertible with almost no sound-deadening and going WOT, that could be totally deceiving. Next time I'm out for a drive I'll try to pay extra special close attention to where it's coming from. I can't test at a stand-still since if I rev it to the limiter in neutral it doesn't put any real load on the drivetrain and doesn't make the sound - however that definitely does not rule out slipping belts under high load. I will try to investigate further.

YOu could try simulating it at low speed by putting the air con on high, moving at very low speed and turning lock to lock (putting strain on the ac compressor and power steering system). Load up the electrical system as well by turning on the blower, high-beams, defroster etc

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
I went to change my belts today(unrelated to the squeal noise mentioned above, my ac belt chirps whenever the ac cycles), and my tensioner things just sort of refuse to move. I changed the a/c belt with a hammer because I had to get it done before I went insane.

Is there another bolt holding the power steering pump/alternator in place other than the two tensioner bolts and the two bolts that hold them in place once the tension is set?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Granite Octopus posted:

YOu could try simulating it at low speed by putting the air con on high, moving at very low speed and turning lock to lock (putting strain on the ac compressor and power steering system). Load up the electrical system as well by turning on the blower, high-beams, defroster etc

Nah, if the Alt was putting up that much resistance he'd hear...

wait a minute, the squealing could be the alternator itself at high speed. I know that when mine is charging the battery after not moving the car it makes a funky squealing noise for a bit. Granted, I have an E30 and not a Miata, but alternators are mostly the same. It might not be a belt at all!

GO makes some good points, try it out.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
Could the bearing in the alt be on its way out? I had one go in my OEM Suby alt, it was the loudest underhood squeal I'd ever had.

Hopefully I'll be posting a bit about the 90 I picked up in Feb. Up on stands right now for some work & wiring (LC-1).

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

omgitstheinternet posted:

I've joined the Miata club:

Silly wheels
Blown shocks, shot motor mounts, garbage brakes

picked it up for $1500, pretty much the cheapest Miata I could find within 50 miles, happened to be about 10 miles from me. I set myself a budget of $2400, so after the purchase and $150 registration/tax I have about $750 leftover, which should cover everything that I've found wrong so far.

Tomorrow I'll be giving the car a serious once-over, changing oil, plugs, filters, and fresh gas (it's been sitting).

Other than the small issues it has, it runs beautifully, timing belt, water pump, and clutch were done about a year ago. Car has a cheap respray but it's not too bad, the nose doesn't match though, but I can live. I bought the car to have a cheap city car/commuter that gets good gas mileage but isn't boring as sin. From the driving I've done in it so far, I love it.

It'll help out handling and acceleration immensely if you ditch those boat anchor sportmaxxes. Even if you just switch back to stock daisies it would be an incredible improvement, only downside is having to give up that steamroller contact patch.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

But if he changed wheels he'll lose all his flush-ness. :whatup:

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Aceshighxxx posted:

It'll help out handling and acceleration immensely if you ditch those boat anchor sportmaxxes. Even if you just switch back to stock daisies it would be an incredible improvement, only downside is having to give up that steamroller contact patch.
I doubt that. I'd imagine he'd be faster on whatever tire he can fit onto those sportfags than a pair of daisies, retarded fitment or not.

That said it'll be more "fun" to get some skinnier tires on wheels that fit right so he can throw the end out a bit more.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

destructo posted:

I doubt that. I'd imagine he'd be faster on whatever tire he can fit onto those sportfags than a pair of daisies, retarded fitment or not.

That said it'll be more "fun" to get some skinnier tires on wheels that fit right so he can throw the end out a bit more.

I don't know man, I had some sportcraps on my old miata for a while and it felt like poo poo compared to anything 12 lbs or less. It gripped like a mofo with the extra rubber, but the acceleration and "tossability" seemed to be significantly diminished.

e: granted this was on a stock 1.6 so maybe that had something to do with it too...

Sex Weirdo fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 22, 2010

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

I could tell a huge difference going from my heavy winter steelies to my light Daisys. It really woke the car up. I didn't have good tires really, so that wasn't the difference.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

When Iw as shopping for my miata I test drove quite a few, and the ones not on steelies always seemed a little more peppy and fun, so I bought the 95M, with wheels made of hopes and dreams.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I do love the BBS 15s on my 95M. I can definitely corroborate Tactical Bonnet's experience of Miatas on light alloys vs. steelies/heavy alloys. If you're going to add weight to the car (or any car, really), wheels are one of the last places you should be putting it. And conversely, one of the first places to look to if you're trying to shed weight. A couple pounds lost in the wheels, especially on a Miata, feels like losing a couple dozen pounds in the car.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 22, 2010

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Just spent 2 hours looking for the OBDII port on my 96. That's two hours of contorting my body backwards to look up underneath the dash. The PO broke off the connector and decided to shove it way up in the back of the center console and be done with it :psyduck:

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

Guinness posted:

I do love the BBS 15s on my 95M. I can definitely corroborate Tactical Bonnet's experience of Miatas on light alloys vs. steelies/heavy alloys. If you're going to add weight to the car (or any car, really), wheels are one of the last places you should be putting it. And conversely, one of the first places to look to if you're trying to shed weight. A couple pounds lost in the wheels, especially on a Miata, feels like losing a couple dozen pounds in the car.

They're great wheels. Have you ever had to lift one? I almost knocked myself in the face the first time I changed my brakes. Lightest wheel I've ever lifted.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Yeah they're feathers compared to the supposedly lightweight 17x8s on my old E34. Naturally, 17x8 is a hell of a lot more wheel (and tire) than 15x6. :)

Plus I mean, come on, BBS basketweaves? No one in their right mind can hate on that.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 23, 2010

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
I finally got around to polishing and waxing my car, but now I have little specks of wax all over my soft top. What can I use to get it off that wont gently caress up the wax on the rest of the car.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

On black trim I've used peanut butter. Something about the oil in it cleans it off really well. Just make sure to clean that off after or it'll smell like peanuts. :v:

Not sure about the top though.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
On a 1997 can you re-use the outboard lap belt bosses for a 6 point harness? I know the inboard side you need to drip/backing plate and the same for the sub belts.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

DreamOn13 posted:

On black trim I've used peanut butter. Something about the oil in it cleans it off really well. Just make sure to clean that off after or it'll smell like peanuts. :v:

Not sure about the top though.

Use peanut oil instead? I shudder at the thought of globs of PB on my car... :snoop:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Bleh, so another problem just cropped up on my 95M. Today I tried turning on the AC for the first time in a LONG time, seriously like almost a year, and I'm 99% sure the compressor isn't getting engaged when I press the button on the dash. The little blue AC light turns on beneath the button, but it doesn't seem to actually be doing anything. I can't feel/hear the AC compressor sapping engine power like is so patently obvious when it's working. And (duh) there's no change in temperature of the air blowing out the vents.

I'm a total noob to AC systems. Is it a seized compressor? Wouldn't it at least try to engage it if it were seized? What things should I look for to diagnose whatever the problem is?

And could this somehow be related to the subtle squealing problem I described a few posts back (faint squeal that only happens at 5000+ RPM under hard acceleration, regardless of gear/speed)?

Guinness fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 26, 2010

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Check in the looking glass to see if you have refrigerant first.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
How complex is it to replace the gearbox (manual) and clutch on a 1990 Eunos, for a novice mechanic who's experience is basically limited to oil changes and changing ARB bushes?

poisoned pie
Jan 15, 2005

Can you feel the colors?

GazChap posted:

How complex is it to replace the gearbox (manual) and clutch on a 1990 Eunos, for a novice mechanic who's experience is basically limited to oil changes and changing ARB bushes?

as far as miata work goes, its probably around a 7or 8 out of 10 (10 being difficult, 1 being easy).

You will most likely need to invest in some 3/8 drive extension bars and a 3/8 drive universal joint to get to the gearbox bolts around the bellhousing.

Basic technique is to drain the gearbox oil and unbolt the powerplant frame from the gearbox and diff. unbolt the drive shaft from the diff and slide it out of the back of the gearbox. support the gearbox with a trolley jack.

disconnect reverse gear switch, unbolt shifter and remove

unbolt bellhousing bolts with jack supporting gearbox

pull gearbox off the back of the engine until the input shaft is free form the clutch assembly

lower gearbox on jack and remove it from under the car

lock engine from rotating

unbolt pressure plate from flywheel

remove pressure plate and clutch disk

unbolt flywheel

send flywheel away for machining, replace rear main seal at this point if you wish

install machined flywheel, clutch disk, pressure plate

install gearbox, ppf, driveshaft etc

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

Not "if you wish" change the drat seal.

I didn't when I did the clutch on my camaro and, of course, about a month later it started leaking.

It's also a good idea to put a new clutch and pressure plate/throwout bearing/et cetera while you have it all apart anyway.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Guinness posted:

Bleh, so another problem just cropped up on my 95M. Today I tried turning on the AC for the first time in a LONG time, seriously like almost a year, and I'm 99% sure the compressor isn't getting engaged when I press the button on the dash. The little blue AC light turns on beneath the button, but it doesn't seem to actually be doing anything. I can't feel/hear the AC compressor sapping engine power like is so patently obvious when it's working. And (duh) there's no change in temperature of the air blowing out the vents.

I'm a total noob to AC systems. Is it a seized compressor? Wouldn't it at least try to engage it if it were seized? What things should I look for to diagnose whatever the problem is?

And could this somehow be related to the subtle squealing problem I described a few posts back (faint squeal that only happens at 5000+ RPM under hard acceleration, regardless of gear/speed)?
Well it's too late for this but for preventative care AC should be run regularly, even during the winter, as it keeps the compressor and seals etc lubricated.

I'm not a mechanic but I'd guess the compressor is seized up. Check the fuse though; I don't know if it's on the same circuit as the AC light.

E: one other thing and this could be retarded so get a mechanic's opinion first. A friend who is an AC technician once got my home AC compressor running by hitting it with a hammer a few times while it was off. It was only a short term solution but it worked.

Sten Freak fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 26, 2010

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

What's a reasonable offer to make for 94 miata(107k miles) no maintenance records except for a replaced radiator? I drove the car, the clutch seemed fine, top is a year old and it's been garaged all it's life. The only thing i found wrong with it is a cracked windshield that's not spreading and it doesn't obstruct vision. Guy wants 3900 for it, I was thinking more like 3200. This is in the midwest.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Tell him that he has no records and the timing belt and water pump need to be replaced at either 60k or 105k intervals.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
So I've had my 99 for 3 years now, and about 2 months after I got it the CEL turned on. Checked the codes and it was P1135, Heated O2 sensor bank 1 sensor input low. It was suggested that I change the O2 sensor in the front bank, so I ordered the part for front O2 sensor for Cali emissions cars (which it is) and installed it. It ran fine for about a month, then the CEL came back on. P1135 again, I was pretty annoyed so I just left it for a while. After a few months the car started running pretty rough and I had to get it inspected so I ordered the Bosche part and replaced it. It passed inspection, but about 250 miles later, the CEL came back on. Checked it, P1135. Today I pulled every single fuse just to make sure, they're all intact. The weird thing is, I'm looking at my car and noticing something strange:

When you look at the exhaust manifold, you can see the O2 sensor that I replaced in the picture below

I was rechecking my wiring when I noticed a second sensor, very close to the first one, and I'm not sure what it is. Any ideas?

Does anyone know any solution to getting rid of this P1135 code other than buying new O2 sensors every few months? And does anyone have any idea what that sensor is?

From what I've read, the second sensor is an O2 sensor as well, but it's not suppose to be there because my car is CA emissions and it has the first O2 sensor right on the exhaust manifold like the first picture?

BusinessWallet fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 28, 2010

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I'm not sure but in my experience there are two of most sensors, one that goes to the ecu and one that controls something mechanical.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
In regular emissions cars there are 2 O2 sensors, one at the header, and one before the muffler. It appears that I have two before the cat, which doesn't make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iscariot
Oct 7, 2001
I'll prefix by saying I don't know NB's that well, but

There's some weird pre-cat cat in the header in california cars. Replacing the cali header with the "normal" header is supposed to be a decent power bump.

The 2nd o2 sensor that you have there is where normally the pre-cat o2 sensor would be in a NA.