Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

krustster posted:

maybe you should stop complaining :mad:

hey eff u buddy I'm just trying to take everything in. Album owns, the lyrics are vicious and the guitars are a new level of sludgy brown wonderment from these guys. I am content. Beast may be my favorite face-melting first track since Carbomb. The Impaler is this album's "JFC"

etc

are we still friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Guys, I'm a huge Acacia Strain fan. Wormwood loving blows...

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Wamsutta posted:

hey eff u buddy I'm just trying to take everything in. Album owns, the lyrics are vicious and the guitars are a new level of sludgy brown wonderment from these guys. I am content. Beast may be my favorite face-melting first track since Carbomb. The Impaler is this album's "JFC"

etc

are we still friends.

ya.

ShoogaSlim posted:

Guys, I'm a huge Acacia Strain fan. Wormwood loving blows...

statements are incompatible

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Im listening to it right now and I hate the distortion and I hate the over produced vocals. The whole thing tries to sound like sludgy Meshuggah. There is no bounce and no groove. The lyrics aren't fun anymore, they're just straight forward hate... which isn't a bad thing, but its not Acacia Strain. There are weird synth parts which are really out of place and embarrassing. And I read that they wanted to make an album where every song has its own feel and they didn't want to have a unifying theme for the album, meanwhile every song sounds exactly the same.

Im sure the songs will sound nasty live, but the album is terribly boring.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
Apologies for interrupting the Acacia Strain love, but the new Norma Jean album surprised the hell out of me with how not-terrible it is. I've always been kind of indifferent towards the band; I appreciate that they're a bit more chaotic than most of their peers, but they've never really been able to hold my attention for more than a song or two. Plus The Anti-Mother was loving atrocious so I'd lost hope in the band completely, but the new album is actually a pretty great culmination of everything they've done until now. They've mostly moved on from capable-if-uninteresting Botch worship to a nice mixture of Dillinger Escape Plan madness, memorable songwriting, and crushing, dissonant breakdowns that actually aren't overused. It's great stuff.

A Media Friendly Turn for the Worse sounds identical to Under A Killing Moon by Thrice though.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

ShoogaSlim posted:

Im listening to it right now and I hate the distortion and I hate the over produced vocals. The whole thing tries to sound like sludgy Meshuggah. There is no bounce and no groove. The lyrics aren't fun anymore, they're just straight forward hate... which isn't a bad thing, but its not Acacia Strain. There are weird synth parts which are really out of place and embarrassing. And I read that they wanted to make an album where every song has its own feel and they didn't want to have a unifying theme for the album, meanwhile every song sounds exactly the same.

Im sure the songs will sound nasty live, but the album is terribly boring.

to each they own then :)

elTeddy
Jun 19, 2004
Where boys fear to tread

Faux Shoah posted:

New Acacia Strain leaked :ssh:

edit: and yes, it's loving sweet

oh poo poo
*cancels date tonight* :D

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Does anybody know what's going on with Genghis Tron? It's like the released Board Up the House and fell off the earth.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007
The new Acacia Strain is okay. All the songs sound exactly the same, so I'm probably going to get tired of it soon. Tactical Nuke is terrible too. Disappointing way to end the album.

Finally got around to listening to Returners by The Ghost Inside though.....totally blew me away. The breakdown at the end of Between the Lines is siiiiiiiick. This might be my favorite album of the year so far. Really makes Parkway Drive's new effort seem completely awful even though sound kind of similar (same tuning).

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

The Dirtyness posted:

The new Acacia Strain is okay. All the songs sound exactly the same, so I'm probably going to get tired of it soon. Tactical Nuke is terrible too. Disappointing way to end the album.

Tactical Nuke is such a loving bummer. I don't get what they were doing with it. Cut it at a minute and it's awesome.

The following songs are awesome: Beast, The Hills Have Eyes, BTM FDR, Terminated, Nightman, The Impaler, Jonestown

The rest do sorta blend together. It's the Meshuggah vibe that does it. This whole album is slower than the rest of their work, and the slow pace combined with the 8 strings and chugging really makes everything meld together if you're not paying attention.

I like the record and it was awesome weight lifting music this afternoon. I do not think it will unseat Continent or 3750 for me, though.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

Tactical Nuke is such a loving bummer. I don't get what they were doing with it. Cut it at a minute and it's awesome.

The following songs are awesome: Beast, The Hills Have Eyes, BTM FDR, Terminated, Nightman, The Impaler, Jonestown

The rest do sorta blend together. It's the Meshuggah vibe that does it. This whole album is slower than the rest of their work, and the slow pace combined with the 8 strings and chugging really makes everything meld together if you're not paying attention.

I like the record and it was awesome weight lifting music this afternoon. I do not think it will unseat Continent or 3750 for me, though.

Don't forget "The Carpathian" which is straight up the bess. Everyone knows The Dead Walk is their best tape though. This new one is steadily getting better the more I listen to it. It's just so ridiculously mean.

Think
Sep 20, 2005

3750's the best, gently caress off :colbert:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

A friend of mine put me onto the new Tony Danza album and I don't know if it's been discussed before but it is pretty sick. I haven't listened to them since their first poo poo and since had gotten a little tired of them. I wasn't expecting the heaviness I encountered. Much more exciting to listen to than new Acacia.

Also, there's a band called I Declare War which I think has been brought up before here. They have some new(ish?) tracks on their MySpace and the first one "Purification of the Population" .. while being pretty generic throughout, has a sick slammin' beatdown towards the 3/4 mark.

PS. Casting my vote for Dead Walk being the best Acacia album.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Dead Walk may be my favorite too. I change my mind all the time about this. But 4x4 and Pity make a strong case.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I feel like a tool over-posting about Wormwood here, but not much else is going on in this thread, so...

BTM FDR may be in my top five Acacia Strain songs now. I love it. Classic Acacia Strain, "Vincent may have issues with women, just possibly, maybe" lyrics, groovy, bouncy swagger riffing. Song owns.

Tracks 1-9 are just straight awesome, the final three tracks fall kinda flat for me. I can't share your love of The Carpathian, sorry Krustster. It's :cool: and all, but not memorable, yet.

It's growing on me, just like Continent did. :)

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

I feel like a tool over-posting about Wormwood here, but not much else is going on in this thread, so...

BTM FDR may be in my top five Acacia Strain songs now. I love it. Classic Acacia Strain, "Vincent may have issues with women, just possibly, maybe" lyrics, groovy, bouncy swagger riffing. Song owns.

Tracks 1-9 are just straight awesome, the final three tracks fall kinda flat for me. I can't share your love of The Carpathian, sorry Krustster. It's :cool: and all, but not memorable, yet.

It's growing on me, just like Continent did. :)

:c00l:

I really like that it's significantly different from their other tapes but still sounds unmistakeably like them. It does have "Meshuggah tendencies" but they've been doing stuff like that since The Dead Walk and who cares, it owns. "The Carpathian" isn't actually the best song on there but the main riff combined with the drum part is so ridiculously cool and groovy. I luve it~

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

A5H posted:

It's miles better than horizons.
I really hate that lame wooooaaaaaah-oooooohhhhhhhhhhh song though.

The only reason don't hate it is that it's Brett Gurewitz from Bad Religion providing the WOAAAH's. But yeah, can't say I am a fan of the song otherwise.

Just out of interest US goons. Parkway are Australias biggest metalcore band and the press always talk about them making waves overseas and touring the US etc. What's the reception been like in the US? Are they big in the metalcore scene over there?

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

xcore posted:

Are they big in the metalcore scene over there?

Probably one of the biggest.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Parkway Drive is far from being mainstream here but among fans of the "scene" they are definitely a household name, and are probably the top band as far as "real" metalheads grudgingly agreeing that they aren't terrible. I have honestly never heard or read any bad things about them aside from a real life friend of mine who likes to be contrary and claims their new tape is terrible. I saw them live twice and the crowd was packed as well as loving bananas, not that that means anything because anyone going to a concert headlined by a band probably likes that band already, but yeah they're pretty hot poo poo around here as metalcore goes.

AND FOR GOOD REASON. :c00lbert:

...bout time for a new thread I'd say. stay tuned!

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

as for the "whoa-oh song" I hate it on principle because the very beginning is annoying, but upon further inspection the song itself is actually really good. I think even the whoa-oh works pretty well when it's in context of the song. Really there's not a single song on the tape that I don't love! OH MY GOD WHAT A GOOD BAND

MalConstant
Mar 16, 2008
http://www.myspace.com/asbloodrunsblack

As Blood Runs Black have finally posted a new song. It sounds pretty much like their old stuff. New vocalist sounds really good and the drumming is sick. I was a fan of Allegiance so this could be awesome.

Think
Sep 20, 2005

Sweet. Allegiance is basically what I default to when working out.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

xcore posted:

Just out of interest US goons. Parkway are Australias biggest metalcore band and the press always talk about them making waves overseas and touring the US etc. What's the reception been like in the US? Are they big in the metalcore scene over there?

I saw them a few years ago on a package tour, playing late afternoon, and they got the best crowd response of anyone that day, and they got pretty much everyone in the building into it. Still, they are still playing around bands that are certainly not among the biggest metalcore bands (they played several slots below Darkest Hour, who headlined). They are well received by metalcore fans, but they are mostly unknown outside of that to both casual listeners and metalheads (as far as I have seen).

Back on the hot topic, Wormwood arrives tomorrow and I can't wait to hear it.

rgrdgr Karnage
Feb 2, 2006

What the hell is that on the ceiling?
The new Ion Dissonance record, Cursed, is pretty awesome. At first I was turned off a bit by it because it didn't quite sound like Minus the Herd. I came to realize that it's different in a very good, chaotic way.

Also, the new East of the Wall album, Ressentiment, is incredible. I've never heard of these dudes before, and they are just... all over the place, so to speak, with their music. If you like proggy post-hardcore, I suggest you check them out.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

rgrdgr Karnage posted:

The new Ion Dissonance record, Cursed, is pretty awesome. At first I was turned off a bit by it because it didn't quite sound like Minus the Herd. I came to realize that it's different in a very good, chaotic way.

whoa wait a minute, it's finished??? for some reason I thought it wasn't going to be out for months! wait... the release date was august something and it's like the end of june now... hmmm

:fap:

:flashfap:

:gizz:

GOTTA HEAR THIS TAPE

edit: I loving love this band. It seems like aeons since "Breathing is Irrelevant" came out but for some reason I seem to remember listening to it on the old mp3.com. That might be wrong though so maybe it was myspace. Either way, I know a lot of THE CRITICS didn't like "Minus the Herd" because it was too catchy and didn't have the same vocalist, but to hell with them, I think it might have been their best tape to date and I still love the older stuff. drat I reallse want to listen to "Solace" now for the "Kill yourself or someone you love" song.

krustster fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 21, 2010

AchmedTheSnake
Apr 6, 2006
This title is clever.

MetaKaiser posted:

Also, a favorite of mine that I've seen locally a few times, but by no means a local band, We Came As Romans. Some of the breakdowns are just the sickest things I've ever heard and the clean vocals are actually very well done. Definitely worth checking out.

Would love to see these guys live. I recently picked up their new album and it's been rocking my world. Definitely recommend them. Also can anyone tell me what the gently caress Greeley Estates is considered? I have also been listening to them recently, but can't quite figure out why I like them.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
We butter the bread with butter have a new album out, mostly continuing their deathcore-with-goofy-lyrics-and-synthesizer-sprinkled-on-top sound. They got some dudes to play the live shows with, so its not just singer and guitarist anymore. Makes for more interesting live sound, but less unique show. :)

A lot of people hate on them for being silly and playing lovely music, but I really like their stuff. As long as they are just having fun and don't take themselves serious, it's all cool by me.

Ramseyk
May 30, 2005
hi
If anyone cares, The Eyes of a Traitor - Breathless has leaked. Great follow up to A Clear Perception (which I enjoyed very much, I felt it was quite underrated as far as metalcore releases of '09 were), basically all I have to say about it is that it slays and everyone should listen to it. Right now. And if you haven't heard A Clear Perception already, do yourself a favor and check it out if you're a fan of Misery Signals (although they blend a couple other styles). Extremely tight album with plenty of enjoyable breakdowns. But Breathless shows a much greater evolution of their sound and a tighter execution overall with less reliance on leads and more of a focus on grooves and heaviness---well I'm loving it already.

I feel like the productions worsened somehow though, I can't really put my finger on it. Also, there aren't as many standout tracks so far I'm realizing (compared to their previous effort), but the more I listen to it the better it gets.

Ramseyk fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 22, 2010

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

elbkaida posted:

We butter the bread with butter have a new album out, mostly continuing their deathcore-with-goofy-lyrics-and-synthesizer-sprinkled-on-top sound. They got some dudes to play the live shows with, so its not just singer and guitarist anymore. Makes for more interesting live sound, but less unique show. :)

A lot of people hate on them for being silly and playing lovely music, but I really like their stuff. As long as they are just having fun and don't take themselves serious, it's all cool by me.

I really was dead set on hating this band reading your description and their myspace, but the songs I heard are pretty unique and at times pretty cool.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

elbkaida posted:

I listened to their first CD for a while, but it eventually got really old and boring. This new stuff is pretty cool, though.

MalConstant
Mar 16, 2008
OH MY GOD YES!!!!!!!! NEW WITHIN THE RUINS SONG!!!! The riff at 2:40...dear god....

:gizz: :gizz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V39IgI6HEA&feature=sub&videos=WpaiqOrwH7Q

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

MalConstant posted:

OH MY GOD YES!!!!!!!! NEW WITHIN THE RUINS SONG!!!! The riff at 2:40...dear god....

:gizz: :gizz::gizz: :gizz:

I can't loving wait for this album!!!!!

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

MalConstant posted:

That's the riff they posted in that studio video a couple months ago, and it sounds even better.

m3talh3ad
Jan 28, 2005

xcore posted:

The only reason don't hate it is that it's Brett Gurewitz from Bad Religion providing the WOAAAH's. But yeah, can't say I am a fan of the song otherwise.

The three or four shows I've seen them headline here in the states were REALLY small. One didn't even have a stage, they just set up equipment on the floor of a Knights of Columbus hall (really small cafeteria area it seemed like). They tore it the gently caress down still, but I dont know if that says anything about them being huge here in the metalcore scene. If you're asking if they are as big as, say, KsE or ATR here? Unfortunately not. Parkway should headline a tour and have those faggots support :smugbert: But like Kruk said, the shows I've seen them headline were insane. People going through ceiling tiles, massive amounts of stage diving, and the last show in Jersey a bunch of girls chased Winston and Luke backstage.

Now that my parkway fanboigasm is over... That ghost inside poo poo loving owns. Thanks!

And what are some good Texas in July songs to start off with? I have heard them compared to August Burns Red, which immediately gives me a big chubchub.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

We were talking about the new Ion Dissonance tape a few posts ago, and I've had a chance to try it for myself--I can verify that it is ridiculously awesome. It's a little more chaotic than Minus the Herd and the vocals sound kind of different as well. Chronologically speaking, if you swapped this with Minus the Herd it would make sense because it sounds like a direct progression from Solace. If that makes sense. Basically it sounds a bit more like their older stuff.

It's really incredible though. Oddly enough there is some clean singing on the very last song, "Pallor", but even more bizarre is that it actually sounds good and is not out of place at all. Frankly I think that might even be the best song on the tape but "We Like To Call This One...gently caress Off" is pretty close too. This album temporarily bumped Wormwood off my listening rotation, it's that good.

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong
I really need to listen the new Ion D. I'm aware that I'm in a very small minority, but I actually preferred Minus the Herd over their previous stuff. It'll be interesting to see how it stacks up.

The song titles are throwing me off a little though. Especially No Care Ever, which is a reference to the Lambgoat message board?

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

bleedbackwards posted:

I really need to listen the new Ion D. I'm aware that I'm in a very small minority, but I actually preferred Minus the Herd over their previous stuff.

:cool::hf::cool:

quote:

The song titles are throwing me off a little though. Especially No Care Ever, which is a reference to the Lambgoat message board?

I don't know what it's a reference to but Acacia Strain did use that phrase in their song "Dr. Doom", it's probably some sort of internet fad unrelated to Lambgoat

edit: looked it up and internet says I am wrong and it is lambgoat related, oh well who cares

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
Shot in the dark here, but by chance are any goons going to Summer Slaughter in Atlanta Tuesday night?

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

m3talh3ad posted:

If you're asking if they are as big as, say, KsE or ATR here?

Hey lay off ATR, they're only faggots as of "Overcome" they owned before that :(

And KSE do such a fun live show, I love going to see those dudes.

Also still can't stop listening to Wormwood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m3talh3ad
Jan 28, 2005

Wamsutta posted:

Hey lay off ATR, they're only faggots as of "Overcome" they owned before that :(

And KSE do such a fun live show, I love going to see those dudes.

Also still can't stop listening to Wormwood

I completely agree about ATR owning before Overcome. Now however, I just don't know man. I can even get behind some of Overcome (call me a polesmoker too I guess!), but the difference between The Fall of Ideals and Overcome was too stark.

And KSE has plunged downhill in the passed few years. Opening with Serenade was the straw that broke the camel's back for me, and closing with Holy god drat motherfucking bullshit rear end Diver :argh: I know they're trying to take the band in a different direction with Hojo, but god drat dude. Its My Last loving Serenade! How do you NOT CLOSE WITH THAT LIKE USUAL.

I'm bitter :(