Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

VibrioCholera posted:

I just came back from dropping my car off from Anderson Ford in Clinton, IL and they were supposed to do a 5.0 GT build. Still can't get it and it was going to be a magazine car.

Also I'll probably do a full write up with videos once it's (finally) tuned and running but I am a SN95 and mod motor believer. This car was my daily driver last year until it started eating and blowing too much oil. It went in for a basic engine rebuild...

1996 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra still using the Teksid Aluminum Block & B-Heads

No longer is it stock though.

Bored out to ~5.0L, Comp Stage 2 Blower Cams, 9.2:1 pistons, stroker kit, Procharger F1-A supercharger cog driven and intercooled, 80# injectors, Anderson Ford PMS tuned by Anderson Ford, flaming river manual steering, Aerospace Engineering breaks, Weld ProStars wheels, 28" M/T slicks, 8.50 second NHRA certified roll cage, Strange Ford 9" rear end w/ 4.10 gear ratio and spool, MMR aluminum intake (They've sold some, they're ridiculously priced. I'm fairly certain my car is the only one out there right now running with one) tuned on VP Racing Fuel 116 octane leaded race gas @ ~$20/gal (DOH!) It can still be driven on the street as well.

Its weak link right now is the Tremec TKO500 transmission which should hold it but doesn't shift worth a drat especially at the RPM needed to create full boost. Was looking into phase tooth options but ended up decided on a Liberty LSC5000 4 speed. Refusal to put an automatic in the car. Race cars have clutches not computers. :colbert:

Best part is when it was initially getting dyno tuned the kid said, "I don't think your boost gauge is working." I was pretty sure it did. About an hour later he got the car up to around 3500 RPM and it finally moved (electric gauge so there was no vacuum display.) He goes, "Hey, it works. The car doesn't even start to make boost until 4000 RPM. It's set up for ~22 psi right now with the capability to go to 38.

I'm not too racing car inclined or anything, so this might sound really stupid. Why are you using 116 octane when you've got a low compression ratio of 9.2:1? Again, I come from an old american car history (lincoln continental '68, Jeep Wrangler '90 4.2L) where using 91 octane is common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

Steiler Drep posted:

I'm not too racing car inclined or anything, so this might sound really stupid. Why are you using 116 octane when you've got a low compression ratio of 9.2:1? Again, I come from an old american car history (lincoln continental '68, Jeep Wrangler '90 4.2L) where using 91 octane is common.

At 22 psi it probably COULD run on 93, but at 30-whatever psi and 9.2:1, no, no no no no

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Steiler Drep posted:

I direct you to the hairdryer ducktaped to the manifold.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
What kind of power is that making, 7-800ish hp?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

VibrioCholera posted:

MMR aluminum intake (They've sold some, they're ridiculously priced. I'm fairly certain my car is the only one out there right now running with one

Very interested in hearing about your results with this. It would be even better if you had some back to back runs with the stock manifold to compare it to. You know, since MMR won't give any information about it other than "IT IS TOTALLY AWESOME TRUST US AND GIVE US YOUR MONEY ON FAITH!"

I want to like MMR, I really do. I just don't trust companies who "sponsor" forums, release no information about their products, and get users who dare question their products or post bad experiences with their products banned. It also doesn't help that Mark Lutton, the owner of MMR, was the head guy at X2C, a company that went down in flames for scamming everyone that walked through the door once they built up some goodwill in the community.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

TurboLuvah posted:

I'd say at least that. A Vortech on a stock GT500 made something like 720rwhp.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Method Loser posted:

At 22 psi it probably COULD run on 93, but at 30-whatever psi and 9.2:1, no, no no no no

30PSI with a blower?!? drat.

Why wouldn't you go with a set of turbos if you had a race car that required that much boost? It seems like it would be more efficient.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

VibrioCholera posted:

I just came back from dropping my car off from Anderson Ford in Clinton, IL and they were supposed to do a 5.0 GT build. Still can't get it and it was going to be a magazine car.

Also I'll probably do a full write up with videos once it's (finally) tuned and running but I am a SN95 and mod motor believer. This car was my daily driver last year until it started eating and blowing too much oil. It went in for a basic engine rebuild...

1996 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra still using the Teksid Aluminum Block & B-Heads

No longer is it stock though.

Bored out to ~5.0L, Comp Stage 2 Blower Cams, 9.2:1 pistons, stroker kit, Procharger F1-A supercharger cog driven and intercooled, 80# injectors, Anderson Ford PMS tuned by Anderson Ford, flaming river manual steering, Aerospace Engineering breaks, Weld ProStars wheels, 28" M/T slicks, 8.50 second NHRA certified roll cage, Strange Ford 9" rear end w/ 4.10 gear ratio and spool, MMR aluminum intake (They've sold some, they're ridiculously priced. I'm fairly certain my car is the only one out there right now running with one) tuned on VP Racing Fuel 116 octane leaded race gas @ ~$20/gal (DOH!) It can still be driven on the street as well.

Its weak link right now is the Tremec TKO500 transmission which should hold it but doesn't shift worth a drat especially at the RPM needed to create full boost. Was looking into phase tooth options but ended up decided on a Liberty LSC5000 4 speed. Refusal to put an automatic in the car. Race cars have clutches not computers. :colbert:

Best part is when it was initially getting dyno tuned the kid said, "I don't think your boost gauge is working." I was pretty sure it did. About an hour later he got the car up to around 3500 RPM and it finally moved (electric gauge so there was no vacuum display.) He goes, "Hey, it works. The car doesn't even start to make boost until 4000 RPM. It's set up for ~22 psi right now with the capability to go to 38.

Jesus Christ.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

quote:

(I messed up a bit, C16 is the name of the fuel from VP, it's 114 octane but still.)
It was originally being tuned for 93 octane pump gas. The shop was okay with it that tried to tune it. They suggested maybe going to at least 100 or 110. In order to really push the tune it is a hell of a lot safer running those kind of boost numbers on a high octane. Danny at Anderson Ford explained it pretty well. Basically the problem is detonation. you really don't know if you're going to run into it (probably will) and he said it's a better safe than sorry situation in the long run. It's also a hell of a lot safer for the motor and will allow the car to see higher horsepower numbers in the future if I decide I need more boost. Could it run on 93? Yeah.

I bought a full Nitrous Oxide Systems kit but the engine builder said it was probably overkill.

quote:

It's probably going to be dependant on the dyno being used (in this case DynoJet and not Mustang Dyno) but it should be putting 900RWHP without any effort at all. It's still being tuned but everyone has said they wouldn't be surprised to see 1000+ RWHP out of it.

quote:

Very interested in hearing about your results with this. It would be even better if you had some back to back runs with the stock manifold to compare it to. You know, since MMR won't give any information about it other than "IT IS TOTALLY AWESOME TRUST US AND GIVE US YOUR MONEY ON FAITH!"

I want to like MMR, I really do. I just don't trust companies who "sponsor" forums, release no information about their products, and get users who dare question their products or post bad experiences with their products banned. It also doesn't help that Mark Lutton, the owner of MMR, was the head guy at X2C, a company that went down in flames for scamming everyone that walked through the door once they built up some goodwill in the community.

Yeah, unfortunately it never saw any stock runs. They advertised this as being "OMG SUPER AWESOME FOR FORCED INDUCTION PROVIDING X%" results but never actually posted a number and only saying they saw big improvements (I forgot the exact percentage.) Wasn't going to hurt to try it and was already in over our heads with the build so we bought it when it was 'on sale.'

They say it clears the stock hood. It didn't but the entire front end is modified. It rubbed so I had to buy a Cobra R hood and the tubing for the blower still rubs a tiny bit so it has hood pins now. There is also a remote IAC setup but the manifold itself didn't come out of the box for the average bolt-n-go guy. The IAC had to have a bung welded to the elbow off the throttle body.

Everyone on MMR forums that have it basically ran out of cash doing their builds or don't have results. I have heard they get really uppity about people criticizing their products.

quote:

Why wouldn't you go with a set of turbos if you had a race car that required that much boost? It seems like it would be more efficient.

Yeah. It really came down to reliability and simplicity. Turbos are more efficient and can put out insane power numbers but they're more complicated in my opinion. ProCharger are pretty drat easy to take care of and don't require additional electronics. Turbos felt like they'd become a problem down the road where the Supercharger is fairly straight forward. It is also is a hell of a lot less tubing all over the place and I don't have to worry about building boost and all sorts of crazy stuff at launch and then worry about cooling down. You guys probably know a hell of a lot more about them than I do.

Also, the F1 series ProCharger literally sound like nails on a chalkboard. It's absolutely disgusting sounding. ProChargers have a really distinct sound and when it comes down to it...

quote:

Jesus Christ.

Automotive Insanity.

VibrioCholera fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 23, 2010

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

oRenj9 posted:

Centrifugals are the closest to turbos anyway, so :q:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

oRenj9 posted:

Look at the race series where turbos and superchargers compete against each other, the superchargers tend to dominate. John Urist owns Hellion Power Systems, an aftermarket turbo kit manufacturer. John runs a Procharger on his race car and has won 4 championships in a row in NMRA.

Turbos are awesome, but they aren't the be all end all for performance.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Requested a quote for a GT Premium from AAFES Car Sales today. 3.55, tech and security package, HIDs. $36ish invoice from Ford, if AAFES can get it for 33 or below I'll pull the trigger. One of the guys I'm out here with got a Raptor for $6k under invoice so I think there's a decent chance.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Pudgygiant posted:

Requested a quote for a GT Premium from AAFES Car Sales today. 3.55, tech and security package, HIDs. $36ish invoice from Ford, if AAFES can get it for 33 or below I'll pull the trigger. One of the guys I'm out here with got a Raptor for $6k under invoice so I think there's a decent chance.

You might be able to with the AAFES but these cars are selling over invoice all day long around here. I put an offer in on a Red GT premium with an MSRP of ~36.5 and got a "sorry we can't do business" and a hangup. I know it's a low offer but I figured I'd get a counter offer at least.

The car is not listed in the dealer's inventory anymore so I'm assuming they sold it to someone else for more than I offered. If you're budget minded wait till after the summer, you'll probably do better.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Buy a fox body 5.0 for the money you save by waiting for the price gouging to end on the new 5.0, grow a mullet, and then trade it in in style.

Demokracy
Jul 23, 2009

Pudgygiant posted:

Just as a heads up, I did the same thing. Mine is the GT Premium, performance white with the black over the top stripes, 3.73 ratio, Brembos, and the coupe accessory pack and i'm paying $33,500 on an otherwise $38,000 car. AAFES sucks at most things, but when you're deployed buying a car isn't one of them.

Also, the AAFES sales rep can do an additional $500.00 off on top of all the other rebates you currently qualify for. Its a manual punch in for them and they don't normally do it unless they know you're "on the fence" so use it to your advantage.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

kronix posted:

You might be able to with the AAFES but these cars are selling over invoice all day long around here. I put an offer in on a Red GT premium with an MSRP of ~36.5 and got a "sorry we can't do business" and a hangup. I know it's a low offer but I figured I'd get a counter offer at least.

The car is not listed in the dealer's inventory anymore so I'm assuming they sold it to someone else for more than I offered. If you're budget minded wait till after the summer, you'll probably do better.

GT Premium manual, 3.55 rear end, comfort package, security package, HIDs. AAFES quote $32,910. gently caress this is a hard decision.

Demokracy posted:

Also, the AAFES sales rep can do an additional $500.00 off on top of all the other rebates you currently qualify for. Its a manual punch in for them and they don't normally do it unless they know you're "on the fence" so use it to your advantage.

Nice, I didn't know about that. If I switch the 3.55 for 3.73 rear end and hit that $500 off I could have this car for drat near $1000 under MSRP.

Pudgygiant fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 23, 2010

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

That's an awesome deal, I'm paying 32,400 for my car but I have the 19 inch wheels instead of the HIDs and the comfort/security packages.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Two questions
1) I'll be driving in Colorado, lots of mountains and lots of braking. Is there noticeable fade on the stock brakes? If I'm never going to track this, are the Brembos still worth it given the driving I'll be doing?
2) Is the 3.55 rear end decent for highway driving?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Pudgygiant posted:

Two questions
1) I'll be driving in Colorado, lots of mountains and lots of braking. Is there noticeable fade on the stock brakes? If I'm never going to track this, are the Brembos still worth it given the driving I'll be doing?
2) Is the 3.55 rear end decent for highway driving?

1) You're not going to fade the stock brakes with regular driving. However, I have a feeling Brembos are going to be a sought after option in the resell market.
2) At 70mph in 6th gear you'll be turning 1988 RPM with the manual or 2110 RPM with the automatic. This is based off of the stock 18" tire's 27.3" diameter, 3.55 rear gear, and a 6th gear ratio of .65 for the manual and .69 for the automatic.

Tire height and transmission ratios are taken from here, tire size conversion was done here, and gear calculations were done here in the "Transmission Final Gear Ratio Manual Entry" section.

With the 3.73s in a manual (can't get them in the automatic from the factory) you'll be turning 2089 RPM in 6th gear. This is why we tell people "don't fear the gear". We're not in 1968 anymore. Transmissions have more than 3 speeds as well as overdrive. Even 4.56 gears will only spin 2554 RPM in 6th at 70mph.

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 24, 2010

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

frozenphil posted:

1) You're not going to fade the stock brakes with regular driving. However, I have a feeling Brembos are going to be a sought after option in the resell market.
2) At 70mph in 6th gear you'll be turning 1988 RPM with the manual or 2110 RPM with the automatic. This is based off of the stock 18" tire's 27.3" diameter, 3.55 rear gear, and a 6th gear ratio of .65 for the manual and .69 for the automatic.

Tire height and transmission ratios are taken from here, tire size conversion was done here, and gear calculations were done here in the "Transmission Final Gear Ratio Manual Entry" section.

With the 3.73s in a manual (can't get them in the automatic from the factory) you'll be turning 2089 RPM in 6th gear. This is why we tell people "don't fear the gear". We're not in 1968 anymore. Transmissions have more than 3 speeds as well as overdrive. Even 4.56 gears will only spin 2554 RPM in 6th at 70mph.

Thanks phil, good information and great links to have.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

frozenphil posted:

Even 4.56 gears will only spin 2554 RPM in 6th at 70mph.

Absolutely true, but how short is first? I get the feeling 4.56 behind a stick would be very hard to launch without absolutely smoking the rears.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Absolutely true, but how short is first? I get the feeling 4.56 behind a stick would be very hard to launch without absolutely smoking the rears.

You'll get the hang of it eventually.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

So for those of you that did factory orders, how long was it until you took delivery on the car? It's only been 3 days and I'm already getting antsy. Also I'm trying to time the sale of my car now so I don't get left without a car for too long.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

I'm going on leave in September, a couple more weeks next March, and then probably not for good until July or so. If I order this and have it delivered in September other than the horses getting anxious will there be any adverse effects of it sitting around for a few months?

Demokracy
Jul 23, 2009

Pudgygiant posted:

I'm going on leave in September, a couple more weeks next March, and then probably not for good until July or so. If I order this and have it delivered in September other than the horses getting anxious will there be any adverse effects of it sitting around for a few months?

If you still have awhile in country I'd seriously consider waiting on placing your order until you're about 2 months out. It will give the car time to "cool down" if you will and the price will drop. I know AAFES does the price match thing to "lock in your price" but honestly with that much time the only way the price is going is down. not to mention it will save you the hassle of having to track the price changes yourself (which you will have to do).

Save up the money you would have spend now and in the payments (if any) you planned on making in country and drop it as one big lump sum once you're just about done with your deployment. It will lower your financing and everything.

Unless you absolutely have to have it for leave.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've(against my advice, but the customer is always right) installed '56's in several mod Mustangs, and first gear just ends up completely useless - you end up shifting at like 11mph. I also have a very strong suspicion that if you took the same car with 3.73's, it would be faster in the quarter anyway.

Of course, if you're bolting 30"+ slicks up in the back and/or have an enormous cam(or cams, in the case of mod motors :D ), then ultra-low gears are viable, but most people are just over-gearing because they listen to idiots who are stuck in 1971 when people ran close-ratio Toploaders and Muncies with 2.20 First gear ratios.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

3.66 first gear for the manual cars, 4.17 for the automatic. :laugh: I didn't say it was a good idea, just that you can do it and not have the engine sitting at 5k RPMs on the highway.

JnnyThndrs posted:

I've(against my advice, but the customer is always right) installed '56's in several mod Mustangs, and first gear just ends up completely useless - you end up shifting at like 11mph. I also have a very strong suspicion that if you took the same car with 3.73's, it would be faster in the quarter anyway.

Really depends on the setup and what you're able to live with. Bob Cosby used 4.88s in his '99 Cobra. He daily drove that car and raced it in NMRA Factory Stock where he won a championship in 2004. The DOHC engines really wake up once you start spinning over 7k RPM. Brandon Alsept shifted his old NMRA Pure Street 4v at 11,800 RPM. That is not a typo.

His new 2v "only" gets shifted at 9k RPM. He said his new cams are bigger than the MHS Stage 5 NA cams which spec at 250°/248° @ 0.050", 0.540" lift. Stock are 200°/209° @ 0.050", 0.505" lift. If you know cams then you know how insane of a jump that is.

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 24, 2010

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

frozenphil posted:

MHS Stage 5 NA cams which spec at 250°/248° @ 0.050", 0.540" lift.

drat, that's a lot of duration - fair amount of lift too.

When I say "4.56's are too much", I'm referring to the 99% of cars out there that are using stock cams/heads, of course - once you get into really big cams, things change pretty dramatically.

I used to run 4.62's in my bridgeported rotary, and that was with relatively short tires(~26"). Probably could have even done a bit better with '88's :P

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
For most people, 3.73's or 3.90's are more than enough for what they have. It just seems most people want "them big gears to make my car stand up when I stomp on the gas pedal".

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

JnnyThndrs posted:

When I say "4.56's are too much", I'm referring to the 99% of cars out there that are using stock cams/heads, of course - once you get into really big cams, things change pretty dramatically.

Pure Street and Factory Stock (naturally aspirated classes) both have to run stock heads, stock intakes, and stock plenums. Woe be unto you if tech finds grind marks or a shiny surface inside anything. Basically all they can do to the engine is a stock overbore (smidge over .020" as class max for the 4.6L is 289ci), cams, and Pure street can use aftermarket exhaust manifolds.

With that in mind, the 350rwhp they make is loving impressive because it is almost solely RPM and tuning.

But yeah, 3.73s are pretty much perfect for the 2011 GT as you'll be crossing the stripe in 4th gear right at redline with a 28" tire. If you can shift your rear end off you might as well just skip 4.10s so you can use all of 5th and head straight to at least 4.56s.

Devyl posted:

For most people, 3.73's or 3.90's are more than enough for what they have. It just seems most people want "them big gears to make my car stand up when I stomp on the gas pedal".

4.10s are pretty much the default standard for a 2v or 3v with an automatic unless you're running a turbo. There's just no good reason to go lower if plan on drag racing the car. RPM is your friend with a modular engine and the gear just helps you get to your friend faster.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

frozenphil posted:

RPM is your friend with a modular engine and the gear just helps you get to your friend faster.

My friend's name is speed :buddy:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Steeda's Tri-Ax shifter is just about ready for you manual 2011 owners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uEgBr-9RaM

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008
Discovered a couple things about the 2011 Mustang the last 24 hours...

Drove down to Shelter Island (San Diego) last night and the key fob was completely dead. Couldn't lock, unlock, pop the trunk. After dinner and the show, fob was still dead. Drove back home and tested it in my garage and all was fine. It seems as if some interference was tripping it up and it disabled itself. Could have been the naval base right across the harbor maybe.

This morning, I discovered that you don't have to hold the key on start for it to start. Just click it and let it go and it'll finish cranking automatically.

It's also way too quiet. Going to need to get an exhaust soon. I'm thinking the Bassani cat back and maybe a X pipe.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

frozenphil posted:

Yay math!

At what RPM does fuel economy go from "i'm a V8, but an efficient one" to "MORE FUEL NOM NOM!". My current vehicle has that cut off around 1800 RPM. 65 MPH = 20 MPG. 70 MPH = 17 MPG.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

Skyssx posted:

Yay math!

At what RPM does fuel economy go from "i'm a V8, but an efficient one" to "MORE FUEL NOM NOM!". My current vehicle has that cut off around 1800 RPM. 65 MPH = 20 MPG. 70 MPH = 17 MPG.

If you're asking about gear ratio and fuel economy it is almost a useless point. You can put 4.56 in the car and barely see a drop off. I can't find the thread over on Modded Mustangs forums right now (it's stickied in one of the forums) but basically it came down to the same decrease you get using air conditioning.

edit: Stolen from "The Busher" over at Modded Mustangs using a stock '04 GT:
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/modular-mustangs/30116-3-27-vs-3-73-vs-4-10-took-couple-hrs-2-complete-enjoy.html

code:
------------------------------------3.27's--------------3.73's------------4.10's 
--------------------------{1st-----41.49---------------36.37------------33.09 
--------------------------{2nd-----70.12---------------61.47------------55.92 
(MPH @ 6,000 rpm)---------{3rd-----106.24--------------93.14------------84.73 
--------------------------{4th-----140.24--------------122.94----------111.85 
--------------------------{5th-----226.19--------------198.29----------180.40 

------------------------------------3.27's--------------3.73's------------4.10's 
--------------------------{1st------39.76---------------34.86------------31.71 
--------------------------{2nd------67.20---------------58.91------------53.59 
MPH @ redline-------------{3rd------101.81--------------89.26------------81.20 
(5,750 rpm)---------------{4th------134.39--------------117.82----------107.19 
--------------------------{5th------216.76--------------190.03----------172.88 

--------------------------{1st-----36.30---------------31.83------------28.95 
--------------------------{2nd-----61.35---------------53.79------------48.93 
MPH @ peak HP-------------{3rd-----92.96---------------81.50------------74.14 
(5,250 rpm)---------------{4th-----122.71--------------107.57-----------97.87 
--------------------------{5th-----197.91--------------173.51-----------157.85 

--------------------------{1st-----27.66---------------24.25------------22.06 
--------------------------{2nd----46.75---------------40.98------------37.28 
MPH @ peak torque---------{3rd-----70.83--------------62.09------------56.49 
(4,000 rpm)---------------{4th-----93.49---------------81.96------------74.56 
--------------------------{5th-----150.79-------------132.20-----------120.27 

---------------------------3.27's-------------3.73's-------------4.10's 
rpm @ 80 MPH in 5th gear---{2,122-------------2,421--------------2,661 
rpm @ 60 MPH in 5th gear---{1,591-------------1,815--------------1,996 
rpm @ 40 MPH in 5th gear---{1,061-------------1,210--------------1,331 
rpm @ 40 MPH in 4th gear---{1,711-------------1,952--------------2,146 
From what I've learned it really doesn't matter how fast you're going despite your motor size. It's more or less are you going WOT every time you accelerate.

Before going insane mode on the car I had a 4.10 gear on my '96 Cobra. It could have used a 4.56 if I had to do it again. First gear wasn't that horrible. You shift out of it quickly no matter what. What's the difference if you're out at 15mph or 20mph? You won't be in first gear unless you're doing sub-10mph anyways. (That or being awesome and winding it to 5,000RPM with your exhaust :))

VibrioCholera fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 25, 2010

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

OK, so AAFES will lower the MSRP or add any additional rebates, but if the rebates I'm getting now disappear the price won't go up. I decided to go ahead and buy it, delivery date March 15th, 2011. Final price $35,738 for a GT Premium with the California Special pkg, Comfort pkg, glass roof, 3.55 rear end, Grabber Blue with charcoal seats. I'm excited this beast will be waiting for me when I get home.

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009

Huggable Bear King posted:

I test drove a 2008 Bullitt and it was easily the coolest car I've ever driven. I know it's just a dressed up(down?) GT but the gimmick works. I really wish I had been able to buy it but i really couldn't afford a new car at the time. I'll probably end up picking one up on the used market for way too much money in a few years...or just wait until ford makes another one :cool:

edit:
I also had a white 95 V6 5-speed Mustang when I was 18. it wasn't fast but It was a fun car, until I cut off a Dodge Durango and totaled it :( I still miss that thing

Verch101, guy with the '49 Ford F-1 project, has one... and it has completely changed my perception of Mustangs. If you have any questions about 'em I'll have him look on here. I absolutely love his car, but it doesn't stop five-oh envy for the 2011's from either of us, as quite a few bits and pieces from the Bullitt made it onto the 2010 I think (obviously not the motor).

Click here for the full 1536x864 image.

On a side note, his previous car was a New Edge '99 V6, auto, though.

e: it is a dressed up GT, not much though, but very nicely done. Intake/exhaust/suspension/tune, and largest change probably being a 3.73 rear gear. But overall it's wonderfully sleek and stealth package, no front fog lights like the gt, nor pony badge on the grill as that press photo shows, only ponies on the car are on the rims, and one more on the sun visor tint inside.

Wanderer89 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 25, 2010

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
The Bullitt is actually very interesting from a technical standpoint. It has the same differential as the GT500 (this diff is used in racing on one of the FR500 cars, can't remember if it's the C or S) and all the other stuff that made it into the 2010 GT. Whenever Ford decides to sell the 5.0 as a crate motor I am stuffing one under my hood.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Killbot posted:

Whenever Ford decides to sell the 5.0 as a crate motor I am stuffing one under my hood.

The package will be available soon, probably this fall. It comes with the complete engine assembly with all the front end accessories as well as the engine harness. Should run around $8k if the previous offerings are any indication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

frozenphil posted:

The package will be available soon, probably this fall. It comes with the complete engine assembly with all the front end accessories as well as the engine harness.

Does the harness include a 2011 ECU?