Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Don't wanna be your man, just wanna play with you.
I'm not familiar enough with that pattern to steer you any direction other than emailing the person who wrote it. I have her super super cute crochet book, and since she has a blog and an etsy, chances are she'll respond to an email pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

CYCLOPS
WAS RIGHT

Paper Lantern posted:

I'm currently working on Roman Socks Toad pattern and i've become stuck on the last step of the legs

I've never Cluster Stitched before so I watched a couple of videos and got a basic idea of how to do it but for the life of me I just can't seem to make it look how its meant to and I'm pretty sure i'm doing something really wrong. Can anyone dumb down that last step for me or perhaps point me towards a good video that will explain it better?

Thanks in advance

I gave it a shot and what I ended up with was nothing like what the frog's toes look like. Someone posted what they did on the comments for the frog.

quote:

I tried a few things and ended up doing a 5 sc cluster. That is-after you *chain 4 put your hook through the chain closest to the leg and draw up a loop. **yarn over and go through one loop, 5 times. then yarn over and go through all the loops on your hook slip stitch in the same stitch where you chained 4, then chain 4 again and do the cluster again twice. If you slip sticth in the right place your toes should be facing the same way as you see in the picture.

Posted by: Katrina | April 09, 2010 at 10:40 PM
Katrina

correction to my last comment *go through chain, draw up a loop yarn over, go through one loop, 5 times from * the yarn over and go through all 6 loops on hook. that's the 5 sc cluster-then slip stitch and do chain 4 again.
Sorry about that.

Posted by: Katrina | April 09, 2010 at 10:46 PM

I love Roman Sock's designs, but the couple of patterns I've tried have all had issues. She doesn't fully explain what to do. I was so excited when I found out about her book, but there's no way I'd buy it without getting it from a library first and trying a few patterns to see if they're written any better. I've heard they're not. It's a shame because she's done some really creative and cool stuff.

ahleeshaa
Jan 24, 2007
"dicks"
I have a yarn question that google doesn't seem to be helping me with.

I usually buy the kind of cheap yarn that you can find at Michael's - Caron, Lion's Brand, Red Heart, etc. Well, I found a yarn store nearby that had a HUGE selection and I picked up something a little nicer. I ended up with Limache by Ester Bitran Hand Dyes. The only problem is I'm trying to find a pattern to use with it and I have NO CLUE what size this yarn is. On the back it says:

80% Wool 20% Cotton
117.4 mt=128 yds
size 11 USA
Needle 2.75-3 sts

I've found some charts that are supposed to explain yarn size but this doesn't really seem to fit anywhere, or I'm just obtuse. It'd be much easier to find an appropriate pattern if I could figure this out. :(

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

CYCLOPS
WAS RIGHT

ahleeshaa posted:

I have a yarn question that google doesn't seem to be helping me with.

I usually buy the kind of cheap yarn that you can find at Michael's - Caron, Lion's Brand, Red Heart, etc. Well, I found a yarn store nearby that had a HUGE selection and I picked up something a little nicer. I ended up with Limache by Ester Bitran Hand Dyes. The only problem is I'm trying to find a pattern to use with it and I have NO CLUE what size this yarn is. On the back it says:

80% Wool 20% Cotton
117.4 mt=128 yds
size 11 USA
Needle 2.75-3 sts

I've found some charts that are supposed to explain yarn size but this doesn't really seem to fit anywhere, or I'm just obtuse. It'd be much easier to find an appropriate pattern if I could figure this out. :(

The page for it on Ravelry says super bulky--the thickest weight class. It'll work up fast and you should use a big hook (N or bigger). If you're on Rav, you can use the patter browser to find crochet projects calling for super bulky yarn. If you're not on Rav, this is a great reason to join!

ahleeshaa
Jan 24, 2007
"dicks"

Devi posted:

The page for it on Ravelry says super bulky--the thickest weight class. It'll work up fast and you should use a big hook (N or bigger). If you're on Rav, you can use the patter browser to find crochet projects calling for super bulky yarn. If you're not on Rav, this is a great reason to join!

Yeah, that's what the charts I found were kind of saying, but I thought I was reading them wrong because this yarn isn't very bulky at all. I've used super bulky yarn before and it was WAY thicker than this. Oh well, I'll make sure to check ravelry next time. I use them for patterns, but I never thought to look there for yarns. Thanks!

Tatiana
Jan 29, 2001
Forum Veteran
This is how I found the cat last night.

It's totally crochet related because she is sleeping in a crochet project :colbert:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

ahleeshaa posted:

You can use Wraps per Inch to help determine yarn weight. Just wrap the yarn round something and see how many wraps you get in an inch. Super bulky is 5-6 wpi.

It's not scientific in any way but helps especially when you have yarn not on Ravelry.

Like this one:

11 wraps so it's a DK yarn.

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

CYCLOPS
WAS RIGHT

ahleeshaa posted:

Yeah, that's what the charts I found were kind of saying, but I thought I was reading them wrong because this yarn isn't very bulky at all. I've used super bulky yarn before and it was WAY thicker than this. Oh well, I'll make sure to check ravelry next time. I use them for patterns, but I never thought to look there for yarns. Thanks!

I've had yarn classified as thicker than I thought it should be and after working with it, it usually does behave like a thicker yarn.

Then there's all the yarn from big box stores that's thicker than it should be for no good reason.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Finished my Ewok, short of getting a long toothpick to pose as a spear... hehe.

http://twitpic.com/26od60

Not sure if I want to do a side project first or keep doing star wars stuffs.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

I was thinking about my aunt that passed away last year. She had great love for penguins. So, when I finished the Ewok yesterday and was thinking about what to make next, I figured I'd make me a penguin. Here's the result:

http://twitpic.com/26xdo4

I used the pattern off of https://www.lionbrand.com but changed the beak and made oval wings instead of the circular ones in the pattern.

shark farts
Nov 28, 2007

Such a cute penguin! I was just looking at that pattern (or something very similar) on Ravelry.

Finished up the pdf for my piglet pattern! Available on my etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/sarsel

I am quite pleased with him :3: and he's small, so he's relatively easy to make! I whipped up another one so I could take progress shots for my pattern.

I want to make a panda.

Put it in Your Mouf
Jan 8, 2009

shark farts posted:

Such a cute penguin! I was just looking at that pattern (or something very similar) on Ravelry.

Finished up the pdf for my piglet pattern! Available on my etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/sarsel

I am quite pleased with him :3: and he's small, so he's relatively easy to make! I whipped up another one so I could take progress shots for my pattern.

I want to make a panda.

Adorable! I am going to get your fox pattern soon, I've got the yarn ready to make it as a gift. The pig's sweater reminds me though, the one thing I wish the kitty pattern had included was the little vest your first kitties were wearing.

popgenie, your penguin is adorable. I want to toss it around, but in a nonviolent and cuddly sort of way. I love how awkward it looks with the round body and the long wings.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

shark farts posted:

Thanks! It was super easy to make. Shape and size make it very tossable.

shark farts posted:

I want to make a panda.

Now that you mention it, I thought your bipedal animal pattern would be good for a bear-like critter, so I adapted it to a panda. I've drawn up a rough pattern (though my art skills are lacking) along with pattern estimates on stitch counts etc.; will just need to see how it looks in practice. Might need to adjust the dimensions a little.

I wish that pattern maker thing that gives you stitch counts etc. for shapes worked in reverse - where you could input the number of stitches and it would model it.

TacticalGranny fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 22, 2010

Goldirocks
Mar 17, 2008
I sent out my swap presents today :3: I love the pieces I sent out, I'm just afraid that they are super girly. :ohdear: One is a piece that really surprised me that didn't get picked up at the last convention I went to, and the second is one I made to go with it. I was really iffy about selling the larger piece because I liked it so much, and I'm glad it didn't sell so I could give it to someone awesome instead of a teenager who wouldn't be able to appreciate it. I really hope my giftee likes them! :neckbeard:

shark farts
Nov 28, 2007

Put it in Your Mouf posted:

Adorable! I am going to get your fox pattern soon, I've got the yarn ready to make it as a gift. The pig's sweater reminds me though, the one thing I wish the kitty pattern had included was the little vest your first kitties were wearing.

You have a good point, I really should add some sort of clothing item to the pattern to make it a bit more interesting. It's nice and simple as-is, but maybe if I added some instructions for optional clothing it'd be a bit more of an incentive for people to purchase the pattern - as it stands a couple of people have bought it but it's the least popular one I've put up.

Trouble is that I don't know how I can make a vest. I suck so bad at flat pieces of crochet and anything that isn't amigurumi/worked in a continuous spiral. The vest on the small kitty was one flat piece with two "buttonholes" for sleeves that I had to stretch to fit the cat's arms into. That cat was small, this one is at least 2-3 inches taller so I don't know how I'd ever fit the arms through. Is it possible to make an armhole in a single, flat piece of crochet that is bigger than the typical buttonhole? I usually just make them by skipping x number of stitches and then chaining x in the row afterwards. I am so clueless :saddowns:

Maybe if the vest doesn't work out I can give him a scarf and a newsboy hat or something.

Edit: Panda panda panda!

I swear it is much chubbier and pleasant in person. It kind of looks like an emaciated panda-head in this photo. After I post this I'm going to run out to either Wal-Mart or Jo-Ann's and look for some fabled invisible sewing machine thread: I knew that because the ears were black and the head was white, the stitching would be more obvious when I sewed them on... I figured if I was careful enough then it wouldn't be too noticeable. It is. It's a pain in the butt. :mad: I've never sewn amigurumi together with anything other than yarn and a yarn needle, so I don't know how it's going to work out.

I am not looking forward to it. :( I hate sewing, regular needles and thread terrify me. It shouldn't be any different than just sewing stuff together with yarn but for some reason it just is. There is just something so comforting to me about using big, blunt yarn needles to sew stuff together. I'm a weirdo.

shark farts fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 22, 2010

Put it in Your Mouf
Jan 8, 2009
I have no idea how to properly do those things either. If I were to make something up, I would do what I think you're saying- for example, when you get to the place where you want the hole to start, skip a number of stitches. However many you skipped, make a chain of that number instead. So if you skip five stitches, chain five and keep crocheting in the sixth stitch.
Is that how you make a buttonhole? I've never done one.

It might help to use a taller stitch, like a double crochet. It would be thicker than single crochet, but also taller, so the skipped stitches would make a hole that is vertically wider.

Oooh and I would also love to know how you put the little fabric ear accents on some of the original cats. I think those really gave them a look that was really unique. When I saw the pattern, I did think the cats weren't quite the same without, but still awesome. I have no idea if it would sell more patterns though.

I agree that yarn is different than actual sewing thread. I've used that invisible stuff before, and it's even more of a pain in the rear end than regular thread. You're not the only one who avoids traditional sewing at all costs. If I were making the panda, I would probably just use a colored contrasting yarn like pink or blue, and go for the patch work look. I am terribly impatient.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

shark farts posted:

Is it possible to make an armhole in a single, flat piece of crochet that is bigger than the typical buttonhole? I usually just make them by skipping x number of stitches and then chaining x in the row afterwards.
When I made the hood for my Ewok, I used this:
code:
Round 1: Ch2, work 6 sc into 1st ch - 6 sc.
Round 2: 2 sc in each sc around - 12 sc.
Round 3: [2 sc in next sc, sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc, ch 4, sc in
next sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in next sc] 2 times – 18 sc.
Round 4: [Sc in next 5 sc, 3 sc around ch 4, sc in next 4 sc] 2 times -
24 sc.
Round 5: Sc in each sc around - 24 sc.
Part round: Sc in next 10 sc, ch 1, turn.
Row 1 - 3: Sc in next 19 sc, ch 1, turn.
Row 4: Sc in next 19 sc, ch 5.
Round 6: Sc into 1st sc of row 4, sc in next 18 sc, 5 sc over ch5 - 24
sc.
Round 7: Sc in next 7 sc, hdc in next sc, dc in next 3 sc, hdc in next 2
sc, sc in next 4 sc, hdc in next sc, dc in next 3 sc, hdc in next 2 sc, ss
in next sc - 24 st. FO and weave in end of yarn.
Started in the round, ended in the round. The chains in R3 allowed for some room for ear slots, and when working in the round later you just SC over the entire chain, which preserves your stitch appearance. The part round in R5 is a row/turn chain that adds some length to the piece leaving a larger hole at the front for the face at the "row 4" into R6.

I know that's basically for a hood, but the technique could be adapted for something else, I'm sure.

shark farts posted:

Your panda already looks better than my idea panda... this looks far more awesome.

shark farts posted:

After I post this I'm going to run out to either Wal-Mart or Jo-Ann's and look for some fabled invisible sewing machine thread: I knew that because the ears were black and the head was white, the stitching would be more obvious when I sewed them on... I figured if I was careful enough then it wouldn't be too noticeable. It is. It's a pain in the butt. :mad: I've never sewn amigurumi together with anything other than yarn and a yarn needle, so I don't know how it's going to work out.
Why not join on and do a single round of slip stitch in white at the base of the ear?
It would add it to the outside of the bottom of the ear, like a cuff, so it wouldn't change the proportions at all. Leave a long tail of white after the round of SS and you could sew with the white yarn through the cuff and minimize the visibility of it.

shark farts posted:

I am not looking forward to it. :( I hate sewing, regular needles and thread terrify me. It shouldn't be any different than just sewing stuff together with yarn but for some reason it just is. There is just something so comforting to me about using big, blunt yarn needles to sew stuff together. I'm a weirdo.

Not weird at all! I would rather not stain my creations with blood (unless it was Kratos :kratos: or something, that'd be p.awesome).

On the project side of things, I'm working on putting Toothless together so I can help with the wing/tail fin stitch patterns. I've got the body and head parts sewn together and am starting on the legs this evening.

TacticalGranny fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 23, 2010

shark farts
Nov 28, 2007

popgenie posted:

Why not join on and do a single round of slip stitch in white at the base of the ear?
It would add it to the outside of the bottom of the ear, like a cuff, so it wouldn't change the proportions at all. Leave a long tail of white after the round of SS and you could sew with the white yarn through the cuff and minimize the visibility of it.

...This is far too reasonable and easy. It's a little noticeable in the back but otherwise it worked perfectly. Thank you! You are a lifesaver.

Unfortunately as soon as I finished sewing on the ears and admired how nice they looked, I had a mishap with some glue and now I think I may have to replace the panda's left eye and eye patch. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. I hadn't fastened off the head yet, so I'll undo a few rounds, take some stuffing out and hope that brute force is enough to remove this safety eye. I know it's nearly impossible to do with my hands, but I have a Dremel tool. :v:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
So I've started my crochet lessons and look at this motherfucking sampler!

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

That's right, I have four different stitches there! And I kept the same number on every row! :black101:

Now I need help. I'm taking this class because I really want to learn how to make crochet amigurumi, and for my next class I need to bring in a pattern for one that's easy, but a little harder than "Sew two squares together and make a SQUARE MONSTER"

Does anyone know a good one?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Wandering Knitter posted:

So I've started my crochet lessons and look at this motherfucking sampler!

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

That's right, I have four different stitches there! And I kept the same number on every row! :black101:

Now I need help. I'm taking this class because I really want to learn how to make crochet amigurumi, and for my next class I need to bring in a pattern for one that's easy, but a little harder than "Sew two squares together and make a SQUARE MONSTER"

You're doing better than me. Mostly I can SC a rectangle. :(

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Wandering Knitter posted:

The penguin ami I made from the Lion Brand pattern was super easy to make; only took a small amount of time and was very simple to put together.

All the pieces are worked in the round, there's no wacky stitches or anything... it's all single crochet with increases and decreases. Even the beak, wings and feet (as their pattern is written) are created in the round using this method.

code:
STITCH EXPLANATION:

sc2tog (sc decrease) Insert hook into st and draw up a loop. Insert hook into next st and draw up a loop. Yarn over, draw through all 3 loops on hook. 

NOTES:

1) Work in continuous rnds; do not join or turn unless otherwise instructed. 
2) To change color, work last st of old color to last yarn over. Yarn over with new color and draw through all loops on hook to complete st. 

PENGUIN 
EYES (make 2) 
With B, ch 2. 
Rnd 1: Work 6 sc in first ch. 
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc around – 12 sc. 
Fasten off. 

BODY 
With A, ch 2. 
Rnd 1: Work 6 sc in first ch; place a marker to indicate beg of rnd; move marker up as each rnd is completed. 
Rnd 3: *2 sc in next sc, sc in next sc; rep from * around – 18 sc. 
Rnd 4: *2 sc in next sc, sc in next 2 sc; rep from * around – 24 sc. 
Rnd 5: *2 sc in next sc, sc in next 3 sc; rep from * around – 30 sc. 
Rnd 6: *2 sc in next sc, sc in next 4 sc; rep from * around – 36 sc. 
Rnd 7: *2 sc in next sc, sc in next 5 sc; rep from * around – 42 sc. 
Rnds 8–11: Sc in each sc around; change to B in last st of last rnd. 
Rnds 12–17: Sc in each sc around. 
Rnd 18: *Sc2tog, sc in next 5 sc; rep from * around – 36 sc. 
Rnd 19: *Sc2tog, sc in next 4 sc; rep from * around – 30 sc. 
Rnd 20: *Sc2tog, sc in next 3 sc; rep from * around – 24 sc. 
Sew Eyes to Body. Following package directions, attach safety eyes through center of each crocheted eye. 
Rnd 21: *Sc2tog, sc in next 2 sc; rep from * around – 18 sc. 
Stuff piece. 
Rnd 22: *Sc2tog, sc in next sc; rep from * around – 12 sc. 
Rnd 23: (Sc2tog) around – 6 sc. 
Fasten off, leaving a long tail. Weave tail through last rnd and gather tightly. Knot to secure. 

FEET (make 2) 
With C, ch 2. 
Rnd 1: Work 6 sc in first ch; place a marker to indicate beg of rnd; move marker as each rnd is completed. 
Rnds 3 and 4: Sc in each sc around. 
Fasten off. 

WINGS (make 2) 
With A, ch 2. 
Rnd 1: Work 6 sc in first ch; place a marker to indicate beg of rnd; move marker as each rnd is completed. 
Rnd 4: *2 sc in next sc, sc in next 2 sc; rep from * around – 24 sc. 
Fasten off. 

BEAK 
With C, ch 2. 
Rnd 2:2 sc in each sc around – 12 sc. 
Fasten off. 

FINISHING 
Fold Beak in half to make a half-circle, stuff lightly and sew closed. Sew straight edge of Beak to Body. Stuff feet and sew to Body. Sew about 1/3 of outside circumference of Wing to Body. Weave in ends. 
As far as amigurumi go, that's about as simple as they come from what I've seen or done so far. Hope this helps!

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

shark farts posted:

...This is far too reasonable and easy. It's a little noticeable in the back but otherwise it worked perfectly. Thank you! You are a lifesaver.

Glad I could help!

shark farts posted:

... hope that brute force is enough to remove this safety eye. I know it's nearly impossible to do with my hands, but I have a Dremel tool. :v:

I have a small jewelry plier set that I bought at Hobby Lobby or some such place. I found that a small bent needlenose, applied with some torsional force on the washer part will spread the back of the washer enough to allow you to slip it over the angled grooves of the eye post and remove it so you can re-use it (with a little bending back). Saved about 3 pairs of eyes this way thus far.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

My Toothless in progress. Still gotta make a tail, ears, and horns, then I can get to work on the wings/tail fins. I like making his little feet, they're all :3

I'm still debating on whether I should put some yarn through the lower part of the forelegs to hold him in an upright position... or just let him flop around.

http://twitpic.com/282nwe

shark farts
Nov 28, 2007

He looks great so far! When I sew the front legs onto mine I put barely (if any) stuffing at the top of the leg and just sew the tops shut as I stitch them to the body. When it's pretty secure I just take the yarn and sew the legs a little further down onto the body so they don't flop around. There's really no method to it, I do a hack job of sewing but it still works and they sit nice and upright.

I managed to get the washer off of the safety eye with just pliers. Hooray!

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

I made all the parts for Toothless (ears, mini-horns, tail) but have yet to attach them. After that's done, I'll get started on the wings/fins. I really wish I had a yarn ball winder - my skein has become.... deflated. Maybe one of the local folks on Ravelry will have one that I can borrow.

Idea for a bigger project: granny square afghan modeled after a Weighted Companion Cube from Portal. teehee

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, I wish I knew how to write patterns so I could share my stuff (or sell them?). I'm making the most awesome unicorn ever with wire so it stands by itself, but I make things up and sculpt on the go :(

shark farts
Nov 28, 2007

Put it in Your Mouf posted:

I have no idea how to properly do those things either. If I were to make something up, I would do what I think you're saying- for example, when you get to the place where you want the hole to start, skip a number of stitches. However many you skipped, make a chain of that number instead. So if you skip five stitches, chain five and keep crocheting in the sixth stitch.
Is that how you make a buttonhole? I've never done one.

It might help to use a taller stitch, like a double crochet. It would be thicker than single crochet, but also taller, so the skipped stitches would make a hole that is vertically wider.

Oooh and I would also love to know how you put the little fabric ear accents on some of the original cats. I think those really gave them a look that was really unique. When I saw the pattern, I did think the cats weren't quite the same without, but still awesome. I have no idea if it would sell more patterns though.

I agree that yarn is different than actual sewing thread. I've used that invisible stuff before, and it's even more of a pain in the rear end than regular thread. You're not the only one who avoids traditional sewing at all costs. If I were making the panda, I would probably just use a colored contrasting yarn like pink or blue, and go for the patch work look. I am terribly impatient.

Ah I didn't see your post, I'm sorry! The double crochet idea is good, I'll try that out. As for the fabric, they were just scraps of fabric that I cut out and glued onto the ears and the bottoms of the feet. I tried to sew them on but it looked pretty bad, so I just used some Fabri-Tac and stuck them on there.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

So after kicking around the idea of making a granny square afghan, here's what I've come up with:

Taking inspiration from the Portal cube depicted below, and also to make it easy on myself, I've decided to start out with some afghans that look like 8-bit graphics.

I used spreadsheet to make a 23x23 square field, formatted the cells to be square-ish, and used background colors to make a template. Each square on the spreadsheet represents one granny square (obviously) and scale per square is adjustable by changing how many rounds you make in each square, or by hook size.

Using a 6.0mm hook and worsted weight, a three round granny square is about 3.75". Based on this, the project size should equal about 7ft 2.25in. I've done the calculations for different size squares to get an idea of how large the project would be, and the 3.75-4" range would yield an afghan in the 7 foot range would allow for some fold-over or wrapping over the feet, which is the main reason to have an afghan :neckbeard:

code:
23 sq x 23sq	total sq: 529

scale (per sq.):	dimensions:
6”	                11ft. 6in.
5”	                9ft.  7in.
4”	                7ft. 8in.
3.5”	                6ft. 8.5in.
3”	                5ft. 9in.

I can't remember if I saw this pic here or just some random place on the interweb, but it's epic. Since I'm not quilting, granny squares make sense. It will be a present for my brother (shhh, he's also on these forums:

A pattern requested by a buddy at work, certainly will be one of a kind:

One down, one thousand fifty seven to go. :wtc: was I thinking...

Also finished sewing the bits onto Toothless, I'll get started on fins etc. in the next couple of days. Since I'm using different yarns and hooks for the ami stuffs, I figure I'll just pop back and forth from squares to amis depending on my mood.

edit: If you have a Joann fabrics handy... there are some good yarn sales through the end of the month. I picked up a Caron one-pound for $5.50. That's a LOT of loving yarn, but I have to make a LOT of loving squares in that color...

TacticalGranny fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 26, 2010

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.
From the depths of the ocean....come's a monster!!!

Ok, so not really. Ta-da! Btw, pattern is not mine but it was super easy to follow and fun to make.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Nibblet posted:

From the depths of the ocean....come's a monster!!!

Ok, so not really. Ta-da! Btw, pattern is not mine but it was super easy to follow and fun to make.

haha, that's awesome! I like the little sucker detail, and the sewn eyes... very cool!

electricgoat
Aug 17, 2009
Popgenie, I've always hated making granny squares. Unless you're a big fan of them, you could instead just go with the pixelated Companion Cube and make a blanket out of repetitions of that. Basically, do 1 pixel = 1 sc. I did a Mario Bros.-themed blanket in that style, and I found it way easier than granny squares:

Your idea sounds awesome, though, and I can't wait to see it! :D I just have literally no granny square stamina.

Also, Nibblet, that is adorable!

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.

electricgoat posted:

Pure awesomeness!! Oh my god, I want one but the thought of making all those squares makes my fingers hurt!

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

electricgoat posted:

Popgenie, I've always hated making granny squares. Unless you're a big fan of them, you could instead just go with the pixelated Companion Cube and make a blanket out of repetitions of that. Basically, do 1 pixel = 1 sc. I did a Mario Bros.-themed blanket in that style, and I found it way easier than granny squares:

Your idea sounds awesome, though, and I can't wait to see it! :D I just have literally no granny square stamina.

Also, Nibblet, that is adorable!

First off, that blanket is made of 70% win and 80% awesome. I am very, very impressed with that!

Secondly... after doing 3 of 1058 squares, I can already see myself getting sick of them. Granted, I'm not very fast at them just yet and still reading instructions instead of just going on autopilot, but drat... right now it takes me like 30 minutes (while watching tv) to make a single square. Even if I somehow pull my average down to 20 minutes, that's still over 176 hours per afghan. I'll probably still make one, at least the companion cube one... but drat. That's over 7 days of hands-on time working at it on my off hours and weekends. I like crocheting, but that number is a bit daunting.

I'm really interested in your technique for pixelating the stitches. Since each is slightly offset from the previous row, how did you manage to make that not look... skewed? I'm assuming that you did strips and then joined at the end vs. making it for the full width... then again, if I'm wrong about that, I'm 1000% more impressed just for the planning aspect.

Two questions in particular:

1. How ragged does the back of that blanket look? I can only imagine with the color changes, joining off and on... That's one thing I would like to avoid on mine. I would much rather the product be reversible and not have yarn hanging around to get snagged on things like doggie feet, etc.

2. If it was created in strips and joined, what did you do for each strip? Did you do row, turning chain, row, etc.? It looks immaculate in the picture... When I've done rows in that manner there is always a striated look to it.

Might be worth making a sample or two tomorrow :D I'll post my results. This might take a while...

electricgoat
Aug 17, 2009

popgenie posted:

First off, that blanket is made of 70% win and 80% awesome. I am very, very impressed with that!

Secondly... after doing 3 of 1058 squares, I can already see myself getting sick of them. Granted, I'm not very fast at them just yet and still reading instructions instead of just going on autopilot, but drat... right now it takes me like 30 minutes (while watching tv) to make a single square. Even if I somehow pull my average down to 20 minutes, that's still over 176 hours per afghan. I'll probably still make one, at least the companion cube one... but drat. That's over 7 days of hands-on time working at it on my off hours and weekends. I like crocheting, but that number is a bit daunting.

I'm really interested in your technique for pixelating the stitches. Since each is slightly offset from the previous row, how did you manage to make that not look... skewed? I'm assuming that you did strips and then joined at the end vs. making it for the full width... then again, if I'm wrong about that, I'm 1000% more impressed just for the planning aspect.

Two questions in particular:

1. How ragged does the back of that blanket look? I can only imagine with the color changes, joining off and on... That's one thing I would like to avoid on mine. I would much rather the product be reversible and not have yarn hanging around to get snagged on things like doggie feet, etc.

2. If it was created in strips and joined, what did you do for each strip? Did you do row, turning chain, row, etc.? It looks immaculate in the picture... When I've done rows in that manner there is always a striated look to it.

Might be worth making a sample or two tomorrow :D I'll post my results. This might take a while...

Thanks, Popgenie! :D It was fun to make, but I sure didn't know what I was getting myself into when I started. Now that I hear your estimate of 176 hours, I think you might be on the right track. My blanket took much longer than that.

Yeah, it's done in nine strips, but only because I don't know how to do a chain with more than one colour. I'm currently making myself a Doctor Who blanket in a similar style to the Mario one, and the background of the whole thing is blue, so I'm just doing it as one large piece. As for how to calculate that out, I just have a bunch of sticky notes with numbers on them. I hope it works out, but the truth is that if things look like they're fitting together wrong, you can always just stick a few more rows of background colour in there until it looks right. The joy of not having a proper pattern is that no one needs to know it didn't turn out the way you planned. ;)

I will be honest with you, though; that Mario blanket was the second thing I ever made. I don't know what the gently caress I was thinking. It also uses yarns of a bunch of different gauges, so the fact that it even came together is somewhat of a very large miracle. All the sections with characters on them are sc, and the background colour rows in between are dc. I did a ch 1 at the end of each sc row, and a ch 2 at the end of each dc row, which is probably what you mean by turning chain. Trust me, it only looks tidy when it's zoomed out. Here are the edges up close, but please be sympathetic because it was the first side I did:

The back looks like rear end. Its shittiness decreased as I went along, though, because I sure did learn a lot and improve like mad as the blanket went along. In the beginning, I was sewing in all the ends, and it looks a little sloppier. Then, I figured out that you can work the ends in as you go. How I got as far as I did without knowing that just proves I'm a bit of a slow learner. And yeah, I realize it looks like the ends aren't sewn in, but they are; I sew in ends but never trim them. I don't know why. Here's a shot of the back, with first a picture from when I was sewing in ends, then one when I was working them in (I also didn't carry the yarn very well in the beginning, apparently):

Probably the most valuable thing I learned while making this blanket is that a sc blanket takes way too long. My Doctor Who blanket is 2 dc = 1 pixel, and man, does that ever work up faster. The characters end up being larger than on the Mario one, but I think it's worth it, for sanity's sake.

I can't wait to see your blanket! I hope you're planning on giving us regular update photos.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

While I was on my way to bed in the early hours, I was thinking of ways to cover up the back side of a piece like that. The only realistic thing I could think of, aside from making another identical piece and joining them back to back, was to get a large sheet of cloth or a bedsheet and sew it on at the edges like a bunting that wraps around to create a smooth back. While it kind of takes away the traditional afghan look when you flip it over, it would at least cover some of the bumps and loose ends so they don't get pulled around.

Also... 2nd project? loving hell. When I first started making amigurumi, I wanted to make a katamari damacy ball, but then realized the total stitch count of 8,628 for the ball and the 14 nubs and said EHHHHH that can wait. I can't even imagine doing something of this scale as a relative beginner.

I can see how the 2dc for 1px would be preferable. 2dc is a WHOLE lot faster, and there's more places to hide the yarn. Sewing in ends is a lot easier on that stitch, there's just more wiggle room.

Still, don't beat yourself up over ANY of it - that blanket is drat good and you should be proud of it - A+++ would buy from again, 5 stars, I'm putting you in my will sort of good.

machinegirl
Apr 16, 2002

*sigh*

popgenie posted:

COMPANION CUBE AFGHAN

I'm going to be making one of these for my girlfriend for Christmas. Have you given thought to joining the granny squares as you go? I'm doing that on another afghan and it makes it sooooooooo much easier.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

machinegirl posted:

I'm going to be making one of these for my girlfriend for Christmas. Have you given thought to joining the granny squares as you go? I'm doing that on another afghan and it makes it sooooooooo much easier.

I've only done 6 squares so far, so I hadn't thought about it. At this point I've been concentrating on bulk production, I figured I'd make all my squares of color a, then b, c, d etc. I suppose with only 6 squares done, it's not too late to start doing this :D

Thinking about it a little more leads me to believe that this would actually be a good thing; doing squares in different colors would break the monotony a bit... I just might try this.

If you want the spreadsheet pattern I have (if you can't make it out from the picture), feel free to send me a PM and I'll forward it along.

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!
Goldirocks! I got your presents, they are awesome! I'll post pictures tomorrow, I'm cutting my hair and charging the camera so I'll be stylish. My presents should be going out tomorrow or Wednesday, my birthday was Sunday so we're still trying to get family together for dinner and fun.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

So I'm a big fan of math, projections, estimates, numbers, that whole thing...

Holy.

loving.

poo poo.

I made one of my 4" afghan squares in a different color, still using worsted weight 4-ply stuffs, just so that when it was done, I could pull all the stitches out and measure the length of yarn needed for a single square.

It wrapped around my 18" craft ruler a little over 19 times.

So, each of the squares, including some overage for the slipknot at the start and a little tail at the end, runs about 29 linear feet of yarn. There are 529 squares in the pattern.

That's about 15,341 feet. 5113 yards and a foot to spare. 2.905 miles of yarn. In one afghan. Not even counting joining them all together into a cohesive piece of work. That blows my loving mind.

I am now humbled by the thought of making an afghan.

Huh.

edit: I rethought this a little; I'll just call it 30 feet per square, and that should account for the yarn used sewing the squares together. That makes 15870 feet. 3.005 miles of yarn. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFfffff

edit the edit: After thinking more about it, using 3" squares instead of 4" squares (2 rounds vs. 3 rounds in the square) would save me a lot of time and materials, and still make a ~6 foot square afghan, which should be plenty big enough... I'll time the creation and length later tonight, but I'm guessing 15-25 minutes 3" per square (vs. my 30-40 minutes for a 4" square) and about half to two-thirds of the material usage.

TacticalGranny fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Yep, so three inch squares I think are gonna be the way to go. Takes about 16.5 feet of yarn for one of those vs. 29 for the 4" square.

That's 8728.5 feet of yarn for the whole afghan, vs. the 15870. 1.65 miles vs. 3.005 miles.

45% reduction of materials needed (which holds true across the board; 16.5 vs 29 inches of yarn, miles, feet, square footage... all around 45%) Muuuuuchhh better.

The end result? A ~6' square instead of an ~8' square.

I'm sold.