Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Skarsnik posted:

chaos black, it'll work just fine, seriously

Chenghiz posted:

Paint is not primer. Primer is specifically designed to have more tooth and to stick to the model underneath.

It worked for us back in the old days you pesky youth :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Back in my day, we didn't have these fancy dancy paints you spoiled whippersnappers have nowadays.
We used to base our lead models with bleached bone and we liked it, we loved it, we got good results anyway.

Now get off my lawn!

*wheeeeeeeze*

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Chenghiz posted:

Paint is not primer. Primer is specifically designed to have more tooth and to stick to the model underneath.

Yes, but for small bits like in this case and touching up missed areas from the spray it will work just fine.

And as others have said, it worked when I was young :argh:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

TastyAvocado posted:

I'm working on two infinity forces, and pretty happy with the results, although I'm still bad at knowing where exactly highlights should go. My natural inclination is to want to go up to the very brightest colour on every edge although obviously that's wrong. I'm just not sure how to tell exactly which part of surfaces and which edges are the ones that should get the lightest colours, very confusing. Anyway here's a couple of the models I've done, I'm sorry the pictures are so bad, the colours are all off.

I'm going for a very "cartoony" style and I like the look so far. They look pretty sweet in a group.

I think youre selling yourself short, I think the highlights look very well placed overall.

These are awesome and you should post them in the inf thread

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Skarsnik posted:

Yes, but for small bits like in this case and touching up missed areas from the spray it will work just fine.

And as others have said, it worked when I was young :argh:

I agree, its just that I periodically see people talking about priming with paint and I feel compelled to correct them. Carry on!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Chenghiz posted:

I agree, its just that I periodically see people talking about priming with paint and I feel compelled to correct them. Carry on!
It's only correcting if you are right.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Pretty sure he is right

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

PaintVagrant posted:

Pretty sure he is right

Pretty sure he is right too

Ain't no way I'd undercoat an entire model by brush, even if my 1989 citadel painting guide says otherwise :v:

We are talking about different situations here, so we cool

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Haha, wow. Go GW.

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax
the new WH:TGoFB rule book tells you to use chaos black if you run out of primer. At first I was like "oh, ok" because they show techniques like highlighting/blending for the first time ever in a rule book and I thought they knew their poo poo for once, but then I said "hey, wait a minute!" because i remembered what a waste of $3.70/12ml paint that is.

for touch ups, go nuts.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Its basically: "hay you just bought our starter kit that doesnt come with primer, so use the paint that is included kthx"

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Oddly enough I find that undercoating by brush results in less of the primer rubbing off, but that may be because I'm well practiced at brush undercoats and not so much with spray. For the best part of my painting days, the times when I was putting in two or three hours a night telling myself "next year, Golden Daemon!" it was all brush undercoats. Most of my best work was done on brush undercoats, although I've gotten lazy since then and my skills have turned to mud.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Before I discovered spray primer, I used to undercoat Gundams by hand. That's a gruelling task if ever there was one.

Isnak
Sep 15, 2006
Bonyour!
Is there a way to dip miniatures without them getting that stereotypical pooly splotchy look on the highlights/flat surfaces? I got far too many goblins to paint by hand. I was thinking of dipping them to a game-able standard and then going back and highlighting them once they are all done.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
You would probably get a finish that is just as good, if not better, by taking a big brush and just glomping GW wash on. Certainly less faffing about with shaking models.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

You should check out overthefalls' models in the oath thread, he/she paints a loving ton of awesome goblins per month using washes.

Really washes or dips are your only options when paintng a horde army, unless you dont mind waiting 5 years to finish it.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
Does anyone have any good recipes for painting the colors turquoise and orange?

e: Turquoise like the gemstone

Two Headed Calf fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 23, 2010

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Two Headed Calf posted:

Does anyone have any good recipes for painting the colors turquoise and orange?

e: Turquoise like the gemstone

Orange: Citadel Foundation Macharius Solar Orange

start there and go crazy :v: add some bleached bone for highlights, bit of brown for shading perhaps?

there's not enough orange armies out there :/ I'm going to slap some of those cf orange on a spare marine I've got knocking around and see what happens.

edit: for the record, macharius solar orange doesn't cover black as well as the other foundation paints :v:

enri fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 23, 2010

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

enri posted:

Orange: Citadel Foundation Macharius Solar Orange

start there and go crazy :v: add some bleached bone for highlights, bit of brown for shading perhaps?

there's not enough orange armies out there :/ I'm going to slap some of those cf orange on a spare marine I've got knocking around and see what happens.

edit: for the record, macharius solar orange doesn't cover black as well as the other foundation paints :v:

I was thinking of starting Red Brown->Blazing Orange->Fiery Orange->Bright Yellow Highlight or something like that.

what kind of a scrub primes black?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

enri posted:

It goes on well over mechrite red... :suicide:

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax
white gesso + black gesso = gray gesso, right?

how dark/light should the mix be to get in on this sweet gray primer fad?

also,

Battlefoam question:

can I make custom trays that will hold a whole unit that is stuck to its magnetic slide tray? i.e. can i get deep foam trays with just big rear end squares/rectangles cut out?

followup:

will my models get jacked up if i do so? (thinking they'll be fine, but better safe than sorry)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

enri posted:

I was just today considering making my Lizardmen Orange and black, I think it would look pretty slick.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

:siren: PAINTVAGRANT.COM'S FIRST ANNUAL PRE-GENCON SALE! :siren:

https://www.paintvagrant.com/store

4 rad new coupon codes to use!
7/20/10 - 7/31/10

GENCON1
On any order $35 or higher, you will receive a $5 dollar gift certificate in your email for any later purchases!

GENCON2
On any order $50 or higher, you will receive a $10 dollar gift certificate in your email for any later purchases!

GENCON3
On any order $75 or higher, you will receive a $10 dollar gift certificate in your email for any later purchases, as well as 5% off this order!

GENCON4
On any order $125 or higher, you will receive a $10 dollar gift certificate in your email for any later purchases, as well as 10% off this order!

As usual, if you want to use the GOONS code, you will receive 5% off. Note that you may only use 1 coupon code per order!

I just want to pimp this again, a couple of goons have taken advantage and gotten some really nice deals!

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Prefect Six posted:

What's the best way to attach guns and stuff in a modular fashion? Say one game i want my captain to have a plasma pistol but the next i want him to have a multimelta. Do I keep different arms lying around and do the magnet thing? Do I putty in the gun and hope it holds?

I posted this and then right after some rear end in a top hat posted amazing pictures of sweet looking space marines, so I think it got lost. Either that or it's a dumb question :smith:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

You can magnetize at the arm joint, but it can be a real pain in the rear end and they sometimes fall off in game, get damaged, etc.

Personally Im not a huge fan of magnets for marine models, Id just pick a loadout and stick with it. Dread arms and poo poo like that though, thats a different story :v:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

PaintVagrant posted:

You can magnetize at the arm joint, but it can be a real pain in the rear end and they sometimes fall off in game, get damaged, etc.

Personally Im not a huge fan of magnets for marine models, Id just pick a loadout and stick with it. Dread arms and poo poo like that though, thats a different story :v:

Do you suggest using magnets for dread arms though? They got that whole peg-and-hole setup...

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ive painted a bunch of models that had them magged, it worked really well, the bond was super strong and they didnt want to fall off like marine arms want to sometimes.

That being said, I only did the actual magnetizing/drilling myself ONCE, and I used a powerdrill on forgeworld models because Im a crazy motherfucker (wore a mask)

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Wazzu posted:

The left one

enri
Dec 16, 2003

BITCHES

I need your help.

Already got: black undercoat, basecoat of mechrite red on khorne lord

Need: semi-decent looking but as easy as fuckin' possible recipe for a dark red

Because: I'm a lazy poo poo and we've got one week to complete our oath, one week is nowhere near enough time for me to paint enough layers of red on using my usual recipe so I turn to you, the collective goon bank of knowledge, to give me a dirty cheap red recipe involve a black undercoat and a basecoat of mechrite red.

What'ya got for me?

edit: tiny hams ITT

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Drybrush blood red, wash baal red or gryphonne sepia? That should give you some nice brighter highlights and darker shade.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Wash Devlan, drybrush whatever the gently caress you want, wash Baal.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I've gone back down the stupid route of giving it a thinned wash of VGC sepia again :psyduck:

drybrushing's an option at the mo though..

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

enri posted:

Already got: black undercoat, basecoat of mechrite red on khorne lord

Need: semi-decent looking but as easy as fuckin' possible recipe for a dark red

Wash baal red, wash thinned delvan mud, wash baal red again, hit up some black in the recessed areas, very light dry brush of an orange red.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Well, after this base dries and I stick the model on it, I will have finally finished a miniature. It only took me, what, 2 years? :shobon:

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
I love the feeling when I, after hours and hours of assembling and painting, finish the base and I can look at the mini and go "FINISHED!"

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Ikke en viking posted:

I love the feeling when I, after hours and hours of assembling and painting, finish the base and I can look at the mini and go "FINISHED!"

Painting my base rims is the sweetest part of the whole process.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Cross-posting from the Warmahordes oath thread:

And a non-oathed finished model:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
That color scheme loving owns

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I have never used Simple Green to strip plastic minis, and I am about to need to. Do you use it diluted or not? Do you do the whole "toothbrush until it's clean" and then wash it off with some warm soapy water and then call it a day? How good of a job will this do of getting my minis back to pre-crappy undercoat condition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

KingMob posted:

Cross-posting from the Warmahordes oath thread:

And a non-oathed finished model:

This post = a good post.

• Locked thread