Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons
just got back from seeing diplo. holy poo poo. was on stage with him the entire time. need to put all my clothes through the wash twice to take out the sweat.

bar none best show ive ever seen.

Threatis fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GZA Genius
Jan 29, 2009

melee beats posted:

Just go with the dress code and go out to Ruby. DJ Kue and I played there a couple of summers ago and the sound system is absolutely phenomenal, and probably one of the best club systems in the states.

Second this, I went there a couple months ago with a friend and the venue is completely awesome. Expensive as poo poo to get your drink on but the sound system is amazing. The sound travels so well, the DJ playing wasn't that good but I can only imagine if someone that was decent played they would rock it.

Mr Viper
Jun 21, 2005

Derezzed...

Threatis posted:

just got back from seeing diplo. holy poo poo. was on stage with him the entire time. need to put all my clothes through the wash twice to take out the sweat.

How many times did you have to wash your underpants? Oh, diplo! :fh:

Nah, I'm just messing with you. I haven't seen him in years and I'm totally jealous.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Mr Viper posted:

How many times did you have to wash your underpants? Oh, diplo! :fh:

Nah, I'm just messing with you. I haven't seen him in years and I'm totally jealous.

I honestly just j'd ,y p

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Errrr, what dress code at ruby skye? I've never had a problem, or heard of anyone having a problem.

The only thing they don't allow are hats, right? Which are pretty dumb to wear to a club anyways.

By the way there is no guest list :(

Retrovertigo
Aug 9, 2003
Cool.

Hammsturabi posted:

Retrovertigo posted:

This is a song I finished - it's inspired by the movie Scarface. Maybe the closest artist going by this thread is Kavinsky? A little more retro sounding but still lots of buzzy synths.

http://soundcloud.com/deetak/deetak-the-world-is-yours

Love it. I'm a fan of the Scarface soundtrack and all the music coming out lately that sounds like it. Check out https://www.valeriecollective.com if you haven't yet. It's like a HQ for musicians like you.

Thanks, Hammsturabi, and also for bringing up the Valerie Collective. I just gave a listen and liked the Outrunners the most
( http://www.myspace.com/theoutrunners ).

Retrovertigo fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 25, 2010

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
My only concern about the Ruby Skye dresscode is that the people I generally go to EDM/Trance events with are all... well, they're pretty much complete candykids, and there's no way I can really convince them to not dress like a retarded twelve year old if it involves electronic music.

I might end up seeing Sander Van Doorn by myself, but I'm fine with that, he's one of the DJs I need to see.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
Some news regarding the release of Justice's second album from an interview with that boy Busy P:

http://www.inthemix.com.au/news/intl/47410/ITM_Exclusive_Justice_are_back_in_the_studio

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

Threatis posted:

Totally glazed right over the fact that he played in Toronto on friday and I'm so gutted right now.

Unrelated news, I saw Grum last night at Wrongbar in Toronto. So much fun! Really intimate venue.

Mr Viper
Jun 21, 2005

Derezzed...

a milk crime posted:

Some news regarding the release of Justice's second album from an interview with that boy Busy P:

http://www.inthemix.com.au/news/intl/47410/ITM_Exclusive_Justice_are_back_in_the_studio

Not trying to be "that guy", but does anyone care about Justice anymore? I've seen them twice, and both times I've been seriously disappointed. I dunno if it was them or the crowd or what, but they just ... weren't that good :/

Cross was unbelievable though. Maybe they're just a good album-making group?

Stuntastic
Jul 11, 2009

weed cave weed saves

Mr Viper posted:

Not trying to be "that guy", but does anyone care about Justice anymore? I've seen them twice, and both times I've been seriously disappointed. I dunno if it was them or the crowd or what, but they just ... weren't that good :/

Cross was unbelievable though. Maybe they're just a good album-making group?

If you thought Cross was amazing and Justice is a good album making group why would you ask if anyone cares about Justice anymore when the news is about *them making another album*.

Mr Viper
Jun 21, 2005

Derezzed...

Stuntastic posted:

If you thought Cross was amazing and Justice is a good album making group why would you ask if anyone cares about Justice anymore when the news is about *them making another album*.

Because I'm curious if people still like Justice (?)

MTM_F-
May 4, 2010

its impossible viper is the only goon who cares that justice is making a new album i think

they're pretty over rated for what they've done but i get their appeal and ill listen to the new album but im not going to squirm with excitement until 2012 when they release it :rolleyes:

Furnace
Mar 31, 2004

12 teams is where it's at, right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? YEAH! SOME THINGS YOU CAN'T UNSEE, BRO!

Mr Viper posted:

I dunno if it was them or the crowd or what

Dude, I'm pretty sure it was the crowd. I saw them twice in 2007. First time was about six months before Cross came out and they dj'd with Busy P, So Me, and Mehdi, and it was retarded.

Then again in October 07, it was literally 2000 people rammed in the Commodore Ballroom and it was insanity. The more that LA people post their opinions in this thread, the more I'm convinced that LA crowds loving suck. Numerous parties I've been to has only reaffirmed this notion.

I for one look forward to any new stuff on Banger, especially this new Squarepusher track.

Stuntastic
Jul 11, 2009

weed cave weed saves

Furnace posted:

The more that LA people post their opinions in this thread, the more I'm convinced that LA crowds loving suck. Numerous parties I've been to has only reaffirmed this notion.

Probably this, I saw them at Terminal 5 when they first came through supporting Cross and then again for Ed Banger 7th and they killed it both times.

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

yeah i saw them in december 2007 and they were pretty great. why were they disappointing mr viper?

Furnace
Mar 31, 2004

12 teams is where it's at, right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? YEAH! SOME THINGS YOU CAN'T UNSEE, BRO!
My theory? Viper and his pals probably have very basic and introductory tastes in electronic. Their tastes are fleeting in the sense that they like the artist du jour. 2006 was daft punk, 07 was Justice, 08 and onwards has been Deadmau5 with a smattering of Benassi, Tiesto, and Guetta, I imagine.

Not hating on you, Viper, but the more you post, the more it's evident (to me at least) that you come from a narrow point of view when it comes to music and its standing in the populous.

It's like that dude in the Love Parade thread in GBS who said "techno peaked with Kraftwerk."

EDIT: SWEDISH HOUSE MAFIA

DOUBLE EDIT: Atrak literally just tweeted this: "Every time I stay at a hotel in Hollywood on a weekend I hear Dutch house playing outside."

I love being from Montreal.

MTM_F-
May 4, 2010

deadmau5 circlejerk imminent

Furnace
Mar 31, 2004

I honestly think we've gotten passed the whole D5 "I HATE HIM/I LOVE HIM" phase. That being said.....

Mr Viper
Jun 21, 2005

Derezzed...

Furnace posted:

My theory? Viper and his pals probably have very basic and introductory tastes in electronic. Their tastes are fleeting in the sense that they like the artist du jour. 2006 was daft punk, 07 was Justice, 08 and onwards has been Deadmau5 with a smattering of Benassi, Tiesto, and Guetta, I imagine.

Not hating on you, Viper, but the more you post, the more it's evident (to me at least) that you come from a narrow point of view when it comes to music and its standing in the populous.

hahahahahahahahaha I'm loving sick of this thread.

edit: Music is meant to be something you love listening to and talking about. I can't stand this constant retarded bickering going on. This is my last post in the thread.

Mr Viper fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 25, 2010

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Furnace posted:

It's like that dude in the Love Parade thread in GBS who said "techno peaked with Kraftwerk."

EDIT: SWEDISH HOUSE MAFIA

DOUBLE EDIT: Atrak literally just tweeted this: "Every time I stay at a hotel in Hollywood on a weekend I hear Dutch house playing outside."

I love being from Montreal.

I saw Justice do a DJ set in Chicago New Years Eve 2008 and I thought it was a pretty uninspired set. But, to be fair, bloghouse isn't really my thing and there weren't very many people over 21 at the venue it seemed like (no lines at any of the bars).

Kerk
Feb 9, 2008

Since 1992
Threw together an hour and a half or so mix of some older house from early 2000s. Check it out if your into filter/french house. Enjoy!

http://soundcloud.com/kerk-1/house-music-all-night-long-mixtape

Furnace
Mar 31, 2004

Mike_V posted:

I saw Justice do a DJ set in Chicago New Years Eve 2008 and I thought it was a pretty uninspired set. But, to be fair, bloghouse isn't really my thing and there weren't very many people over 21 at the venue it seemed like (no lines at any of the bars).

Granted, by the end of 2008, Justice were playing a lot of their tracks for nearly two years. I would be tired of that poo poo too.

And Viper, if you dont like this thread, go make the deadmau5 thread you've always wanted and sperg over in that, you petulant little loving flake douche.

edit: loving the mix so far, Kerk.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

Kerk posted:

Threw together an hour and a half or so mix of some older house from early 2000s. Check it out if your into filter/french house. Enjoy!

thanks. more stuff like this please.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Kerk posted:

Did you ever hear my top 25 disco house tracks of all time? I think it'd be right up your alley.

http://meleebeats.com/?p=34

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
every new song of afrojack sounds exactly the same.

Stuntastic
Jul 11, 2009

weed cave weed saves
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2010/07/mad_decent_jell.html

There's no excuse not to go to this if you live in Philly, NYC, LA or Chicago. Secret headliners every day unless you're in Philly in which case you get Major Lazer.

Lacool
Jun 18, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT MY DRAGON FUR SUIT BORING YOUTUBE BULLSHIT AND THEN TELL ME TO GET OUT

Furnace posted:

I like this thread, but this is literally the most pretentious thing I've ever read, I had to read it twice to be sure that you were serious and I'm still not sure.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
I guess I'm the only one who still kinda likes Justice. (Correct me if I'm wrong). I recognize their limitations, of course, in that their approach to music is kind of odd (if you've ever read any of their interviews {the one with Pitchfork comes to mind}) in that they don't claim to be musicians or anything like that, they just make sounds I guess, that they like. I really like what they do. I know they aren't perfect, and that some of their live sets suck, barring the Xmas mix, which I thought was pretty good. However, I try not to be completely philistine in my taste in electronic music, limiting me only to Justice, I've just been waiting for this new CD to come out for a while, and when they said "early 2010" and that came and passed, and then the Jamaica CD was finished, I figured I should look around for at least something.

ephex posted:

every new song of afrojack sounds exactly the same.

This, is so true. That, and I felt kind of ripped off when he only played his songs on his essential mix, not really giving us much behind the story of "what inspires Afrojack."

It seems that there are really a couple of approaches to Essential Mixes lately: 1. the whole "Past," "Present," and "Future" of ________ or 2. "What inspires" _______. Sometimes there is a 3. Just to have a real good set (Goa Mix comes to mind, the Sharam mix as well) but I find them to be rarer, with the whole advent/rise of the commodity of the DJ.

Are there any other sets like that for you, or am I wrong in this assessment?

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Kind of new to the electronic scene. Just moved to Berlin and was never really into it at all before other than the candy e pop raves we all did when we were 16. But now, since the scene in Berlin is pretty loving amazing, I'm starting to get into it a lot more.

I find I like really heavy sort of industrial type stuff, and I'm looking for more things like that. But when I was perusing the industrial thread, most of the recommendations had singers, and if it's one thing that sounds loving awful it's djs who think they can sing. I posted this in the recommendations thread, hope someone here can give me more of an idea

Guilty posted:

Some goon released an Electronic album, Downpour - Eviction Notice, and I really liked it. What kind of Electronic is that? And what other stuff like it is out there?

if I'm totally off base, please point me in the right direction. I tried Fear of Tigers, Justice, on recommendation from this thread, and didn't like either of them. I know I'm going to get blasted for this, but I did like Daft Punk, always loved Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method and Prodigy, used to enjoy EDC and Oakenfold, Propellerheads. I like really active electro. Someone got more recommendations? (other than :frogout:)

Guilty fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 26, 2010

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Guilty posted:

I did like Daft Punk, always loved Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method and Prodigy, used to enjoy EDC and Oakenfold, Propellerheads. I like really active electro. Someone got more recommendations? (other than :frogout:)

Try Portishead? It may or may not do it for you.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
OF COURSE Justice is falling off the radar, they haven't released an album or really any new material in two years (that's if you count Planisphere, which I personally think is loving AWESOME) and they play live sets with virtually the same songs everytime (correct me if I'm wrong, I've never actually seen Justice). But even then I still think they've maintained a level of popularity that's pretty shocking considering what little they do.

Also I hope I don't sound like I'm dissing Justice or anything cause I think Cross is one of the best albums of all time and would probably suck Xavier and Gaspard's dick at the same time if given the option.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

Threatis posted:

Show loving owned. Hot as hell. Fun as hell.
I'm going to post some pictures of Threatis and the man in his avatar in Phiz soon.

vossi
Mar 29, 2007

Spiderpig. Spiderpig.

Slackerish posted:

OF COURSE Justice is falling off the radar, they haven't released an album or really any new material in two years (that's if you count Planisphere, which I personally think is loving AWESOME) and they play live sets with virtually the same songs everytime (correct me if I'm wrong, I've never actually seen Justice). But even then I still think they've maintained a level of popularity that's pretty shocking considering what little they do.

Also I hope I don't sound like I'm dissing Justice or anything cause I think Cross is one of the best albums of all time and would probably suck Xavier and Gaspard's dick at the same time if given the option.

the older mix they did for a cross the universe sounds nothing like the stuff they started touring with.
and I too can't wait for new stuff (tho the let love rule and the sexy boots remix are awful)

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.

Guilty posted:

I know I'm going to get blasted for this, but I did like Daft Punk, always loved Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method and Prodigy, used to enjoy EDC and Oakenfold, Propellerheads.

No one's going to blast your for liking some of the most respected people in the biz.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Few tracks/ep i've just picked up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwfV-8WgNis
BAXEN - Bassin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-i1CTjTp4E
His Majesty Andre - The Lincolnshire Poacher EP (hint melee beats and release ur album)

Tub (Freddy Gonzales & DLopez 2010 Remix)

Next Friday (Tomb Crew remix) (more dubsteppy then their other tracks)

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

incoherent posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-i1CTjTp4E
His Majesty Andre - The Lincolnshire Poacher EP (hint melee beats and release ur album)

HMA is sick and so is that track. I'm working on it ok sheesh (pushed up from 2011 release to late 2010)

Stuntastic
Jul 11, 2009

weed cave weed saves
I ventured out to Montclair, NJ to catch deadmau5 today. The show was fun as gently caress, the new cube is incredible and the whole light show is incredible. Say what you will about his talent or what he puts out, but he knows how to get a party going.

NJ loving sucks though and guidos loving suck and why the gently caress didn't he book a NYC show???

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]
edit: nevermind!

Justin Timberwolf fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup!
Sep 14, 2003
N\A

Stuntastic posted:

I ventured out to Montclair, NJ to catch deadmau5 today. The show was fun as gently caress, the new cube is incredible and the whole light show is incredible. Say what you will about his talent or what he puts out, but he knows how to get a party going.

NJ loving sucks though and guidos loving suck and why the gently caress didn't he book a NYC show???

People were throwing glowsticks at him @ philly. Philly show had terrible openers but the wait was worth it, the show was amazing. Disapointed that his overall act is shorter now :(