Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Cmon, game similar to Champions of Norrath/Baldurs Gate Dark alliance, have played Gauntlet. Preferably no ps2 games since my ps2 doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Brace posted:

Cmon, game similar to Champions of Norrath/Baldurs Gate Dark alliance, have played Gauntlet. Preferably no ps2 games since my ps2 doesn't work.

Assuming these didn't get mentioned, X-Men Legends 1 and 2, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2. There was also some Lord of the Rings game on PC that had co-op that was a port of a console game I think, but me and my friend didn't really like it. I don't remember the name of it but it might be up your alley if you can figure out what it was.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Hm, those seem like decent games, but I really like the loot/fantasy kind of setting of those D&D relative games.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I want to play some shadowrun like game, is there anything like this that came out in the last 5 years that I have over looked?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Bleusilences posted:

I want to play some shadowrun like game, is there anything like this that came out in the last 5 years that I have over looked?

You mean like SNES Shadowrun or Genesis Shadowrun?

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Rollersnake posted:

You mean like SNES Shadowrun or Genesis Shadowrun?

Genesis shadowrun of course :c00lbert:.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Could someone recommend me a game that I can really get lost in? I've got a job that requires me to be up at 4am and I am working on changing my sleep schedule so I need to a pull a few long nights and would love a PC game to dive into. I'm open to any genre suggestions.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Red Robin Hood posted:

Could someone recommend me a game that I can really get lost in? I've got a job that requires me to be up at 4am and I am working on changing my sleep schedule so I need to a pull a few long nights and would love a PC game to dive into. I'm open to any genre suggestions.

Minecraft. $13 and we got A thread here on it.
minecraft.net

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Red Robin Hood posted:

You have to be more specific than that. What are games you've dug in the past? What qualities in a game keep you entertained? How long are we looking at? Do you mind grinding?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

frodnonnag posted:

Minecraft. $13 and we got A thread here on it.
minecraft.net

I've got it. But I refuse to play it while the slimes are so mean :(

Barudak posted:

You have to be more specific than that. What are games you've dug in the past? What qualities in a game keep you entertained? How long are we looking at? Do you mind grinding?

Sorry, I didn't want any goons thinking I was too picky or something so I left it open. Maybe too-open?

Let's see...

I really enjoyed Oblivion once it got a ton of mods. I used to be able to play Diablo 2 for hours, and I've tried Titan's Quest but only enjoy co-op and my girlfriend will be sleeping at that time of night/morning. Deus Ex really kept me busy a few years back. I recently played through HL:2 and all the episodes because I never beat all of them, that was great fun but I think those are a unique experience.

I think a deep, rich story keeps me more entertained than anything else. Though I guess some games just don't work for me. I feel like I need to go back and give Mass Effect 1/2 another try, as well as Dragon Age: Origins. I got bored with Mass Effect 1, and 2, and never really gave Dragon Age a chance. Graphics are a plus, but, honestly don't make a game a must for me.

How long? Well I will be trying to change my sleep schedule to something like sleep 4pm-12am, awake 12am-4pm. Though we'll see how well that works out. Maybe something a little different. I'd just like to be able to occupy the late hours with something other than reading or TV/Movies. I figured this could give me a chance to try out some games I feel like I missed in the past. I'd like a long-ish game. Maybe 10-100 hours? I'm a bit weary that it might be too long and I may lose interest. I've heard The Witcher can cause boredom.

Grinding doesn't really bother me... but I guess it depends on what type of griding we're talking about. I feel like Archlord (that Korean[?] MMO) had fun grinding but I get bored quickly in end-game grinding in World of Warcraft (though I did enjoy early levels).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Red Robin Hood posted:

preferences

Sounds like some MMO's could be an enjoyable option for you, and God knows there are a ton of options.

Single-Player wise: The Witcher, although if you play it know that the job-board provides only money and is entirely optional.

You may want to retry Mass Effect 1/2 but keep in mind those games are, even with all their side-quests, only about 25-30 hours long.

Have you played Morrowind? Its basically Oblivion, and with mods, quite fun and long-lasting.

If you liked Diablo, Torchlight might be right up your alley as its basically Diablo 2.5

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Barudak posted:

Sounds like some MMO's could be an enjoyable option for you, and God knows there are a ton of options.

Single-Player wise: The Witcher, although if you play it know that the job-board provides only money and is entirely optional.

You may want to retry Mass Effect 1/2 but keep in mind those games are, even with all their side-quests, only about 25-30 hours long.

Have you played Morrowind? Its basically Oblivion, and with mods, quite fun and long-lasting.

If you liked Diablo, Torchlight might be right up your alley as its basically Diablo 2.5

I'm glad you name-dropped a few games.

I started with Morrowind years ago, and played quite a bit of Torchlight a few months back. I was thinking I should try out The Witcher, and, of course try ME1/2 again.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Bleusilences posted:

Genesis shadowrun of course :c00lbert:.
Space Rangers 2 Reboot. It's on Steam (was $2.50 during the summer sale). Similar mission structure to Shadow Run, has an RPG system and faction/reputation system, except it's in space and semi-roguelike and semi-turnbased (unless you've given it continuous orders like "fly across the solar system and warp to x" or "autoattack this dude until one of us is dead" it pauses at the end of a space day to wait for you to input a new command, but while stuff plays out everything moves at once).

Maybe, stretching it even further, the STALKER games, more specifically STALKER: Call of Pripyat. Go on missions for criminals, deal with supernatural creatures, shoot lots of things. There's even an enemy in STALKER COP, called the Chimera, that approaches (but not matches) Hellhound difficulty. When was the last time you had an enemy in a videogame put you in the kind of danger a hellhound could give you?

Edit: Oh, forgot one. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. Modern day game with supernatural elements, go about doing things in open ended urban environments, shoot things, increase stats.

Jetsetlemming fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 25, 2010

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
I need a PC game.

I've really been enjoying HoN as of late, but it's growing weary. It's really frustrating dealing with the community, and getting to a point where you could be considered "good" is a long haul, so I'm not playing it nearly as much as I used to, though I am playing regularly. I tried out LoL today and it felt too sluggish compared to HoN, not to mention the Guild Wars mmo aspect of it is kind of a turn off.

Anyway, I'm looking for one of two game types. Something multiplayer that has a unique kind of gameplay, and doesn't take a minimum of 40 hours to not completely suck. I'm pretty sick of shooters, and there's almost no innovation that is going to make me interested in playing them, though you can try. The one other absolute no is MMO's. I don't care how good it is, I'm sick of MMOs, and I'm not letting my borderline addictive personality getting anywhere near one. Other than that I'm pretty much willing to try anything.

The other recommendation is something open-world. I've been meaning to check out Saint's Row 2 for awhile now, but I don't remember if people were saying it's unplayable without a controller for driving or something. I spent a solid month doing nothing but trying to die/kill people as hilariously as possible with my roommate in GTA4, so major bonus points if there's a lot of opportunity for playing the game other than intended. Already tried Just Cause 2 and the actual game progression was so boring I wanted to gouge my eyes out. I got too lazy to install mods, but meh.

Yeah I'm picky, but I will love you forever if you can find me a game that I wont get bored of in 10 minutes.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Red Robin Hood posted:

I'm glad you name-dropped a few games.

I started with Morrowind years ago, and played quite a bit of Torchlight a few months back. I was thinking I should try out The Witcher, and, of course try ME1/2 again.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

You might also try Fallout 3 for more RPG goodness. Run around the nuclear wasteland that used to be D.C, shooting mutants for XP. The main story is pretty short and not that exciting, but the sidequests are usually pretty fun. And you don't need to have played the first two to understand what's going on, although they're both great games.

I'd also recommend giving DA:O another shot. It suffers from having probably the most cliche RPG main story possible without naming your character Cilbo Caggins, but the actual telling of the story is fairly well done.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TheGopher posted:

I need a PC game.

Unique PC Online:
How do you feel about strategy games? Starcraft II is dropping, DoTA and its clones provide a fairly unique online strategy, and theirs always things like Transformice for general unique dickery.

Open-World:
If you somehow wrung entertainment from GTAIV go buy Saints Row 2 right goddamn now and make your friend buy a copy. You can co-op everything and the game world is fun, littered with challenges, and has minigames where you shoot feces on houses and launch yourself into traffic.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

thrakkorzog posted:

You might also try Fallout 3 for more RPG goodness. Run around the nuclear wasteland that used to be D.C, shooting mutants for XP. The main story is pretty short and not that exciting, but the sidequests are usually pretty fun. And you don't need to have played the first two to understand what's going on, although they're both great games.

I'd also recommend giving DA:O another shot. It suffers from having probably the most cliche RPG main story possible without naming your character Cilbo Caggins, but the actual telling of the story is fairly well done.

I installed DA:O while waiting for your response and put about an hour into an Elf Warrior. I think I'm enjoying it but I won't know for a few more hours :P

Oddly enough I picked up Fallout 3 at the midnight release in my area with a couple of buddies. That was a long time ago though, and now that there are mods(!) I feel like I should really give that another go. I think I might check out Company of Heroes as well. And maybe STALKER? Which is the best? Does it matter if I start on the first one? I played a bit of it years ago, but didn't really give it a chance.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Red Robin Hood posted:

I installed DA:O while waiting for your response and put about an hour into an Elf Warrior. I think I'm enjoying it but I won't know for a few more hours :P

Oddly enough I picked up Fallout 3 at the midnight release in my area with a couple of buddies. That was a long time ago though, and now that there are mods(!) I feel like I should really give that another go. I think I might check out Company of Heroes as well. And maybe STALKER? Which is the best? Does it matter if I start on the first one? I played a bit of it years ago, but didn't really give it a chance.

Skip the first STALKER and expansion, going straight to the 3rd one which is standalone. It introduces so many game-play fixes and mechanics that buying the previous ones isn't really worth it given how much effort it will take to make 3/4s as playable and fun.

Give Fallout 3 a go, I would have figured you'd have played it to death by now.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

Barudak posted:

Unique PC Online:
How do you feel about strategy games? Starcraft II is dropping, DoTA and its clones provide a fairly unique online strategy, and theirs always things like Transformice for general unique dickery.

Open-World:
If you somehow wrung entertainment from GTAIV go buy Saints Row 2 right goddamn now and make your friend buy a copy. You can co-op everything and the game world is fun, littered with challenges, and has minigames where you shoot feces on houses and launch yourself into traffic.

Heroes of Newerth (HoN) and League of Legends (LoL) are the only dota clones out right now worth playing (WRU BLOODLINE CHAMPIONS BETA). I brought them up because I got into them becasue I never played Dota and the gameplay style was amazing.

I just watched a transformice video on youtube and laughed my rear end off. I'm going to go check that out.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Barudak posted:

I, II, and III offer only the scantest amount of things that could be called "cool." Skipping straight to IV, V, and VI is a good idea given how poorly the first three have aged. Especially I.

Chrono Trigger is an easy RPG without random battles which you should have no problems with. On the other hand, DQV is going to be rich with grinding for both gold and levels so be prepared for that.

I am actually trying to play through CT right now and I am not really liking the battle system. I didn't mind the ATB in FFXIII because you could queue up actions and they'd just go when the gauges were full. You can't do that in CT so it's always about SPEED MENU NAVIGATING which is sort of annoying since you don't really have time to think or strategize. Did any of the other FFs do the queue thing or are IV, V and VI going to annoy me like CT does?

Also can anyone else weigh in on how good/bad FF III on the DS is? It's turn-based which I like and it has the job system which I also think I'll enjoy, but a lot of people don't seem to dig it much for various reasons. I've also heard that it's sort of a lovely place to start if you haven't played a lot of FFs.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HondaCivet posted:

I am actually trying to play through CT right now and I am not really liking the battle system. I didn't mind the ATB in FFXIII because you could queue up actions and they'd just go when the gauges were full. You can't do that in CT so it's always about SPEED MENU NAVIGATING which is sort of annoying since you don't really have time to think or strategize. Did any of the other FFs do the queue thing or are IV, V and VI going to annoy me like CT does?

Also can anyone else weigh in on how good/bad FF III on the DS is? It's turn-based which I like and it has the job system which I also think I'll enjoy, but a lot of people don't seem to dig it much for various reasons. I've also heard that it's sort of a lovely place to start if you haven't played a lot of FFs.

Set the battle system to wait in the options menu. I know 4, 5, and 6 have this option and I was fairly certain Chrono Trigger did as well. With wait set once a character's turn comes up the game pauses and lets you choose your action without any ATB filling or enemy attacking etc.

No previous FF except XII has any semblance of an action queue, although for the most part you'll be slamming attack over and over again.

FFIII for the DS is basically hard. It requires a lot of grinding, a lot of patience since you'll constantly die without foresight and most importantly more grinding. You see, one of the main imbalancing factors in the DS remake is that Square figured since the remake made you stronger, they needed to have the bosses attack more often to compensate. Except they didn't remove the fact that lots of bosses have attacks which hit the whole party which were put in the game because bosses attacked so slowly. So now you have bosses who go faster than your party slamming the whole group with damage making a lot of boss fights reliant on over-leveling.

Not to mention the final dungeon is quite literally an hour long slog with 5 boss fights and no save point. Did you die at any point? Restart.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
I used to own FF3 on the DS. Regret the purchase - the entire game is grinding with little variety in that grinding. If you're into that monotonous gameplay, it's totally up your alley.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

HondaCivet posted:

Go into the options and change the battle system from "active" to "wait." This pauses the battle action when you're in a menu. It's exactly the same with Final Fantasy 4 through 9.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 26, 2010

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Wait still kinda sucks because you are still staring at the ATB gauge waiting for it to fill up before you can hit Attack or Tech or whatever. It only gives you extra time once you're in the Attack/Tech/Item menu. I'll give it a shot though, at least I'll be much less likely to hit the wrong attack.

Does CT's gameplay ever get more exciting? I just came to the . . . uh, whatever it's called, the place that's floating in some sort of timeless limbo, and I just learned some magic. Another fun thing about FFXIII was buffing and debuffing but my CT guys don't have many spells like that yet.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HondaCivet posted:

Wait still kinda sucks because you are still staring at the ATB gauge waiting for it to fill up before you can hit Attack or Tech or whatever. It only gives you extra time once you're in the Attack/Tech/Item menu. I'll give it a shot though, at least I'll be much less likely to hit the wrong attack.

Does CT's gameplay ever get more exciting? I just came to the . . . uh, whatever it's called, the place that's floating in some sort of timeless limbo, and I just learned some magic. Another fun thing about FFXIII was buffing and debuffing but my CT guys don't have many spells like that yet.

No need to spoiler things, the game is like 20 years old.

The game's real gimmick is once you unlock the time-machine which lets you choose to travel through time at your leisure. That and the New-Game+ which gives you like 26 other endings you can unlock.

As for buffing, no buffing and debuffing doesn't ever become a big part of the game. If thats what you really liked in FFXIII when you play other FF's jump straight into FFV as thats the one most reliant on you mastering various buffs and debuffs.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Barudak posted:

No need to spoiler things, the game is like 20 years old.

The game's real gimmick is once you unlock the time-machine which lets you choose to travel through time at your leisure. That and the New-Game+ which gives you like 26 other endings you can unlock.

As for buffing, no buffing and debuffing doesn't ever become a big part of the game. If thats what you really liked in FFXIII when you play other FF's jump straight into FFV as thats the one most reliant on you mastering various buffs and debuffs.

Haha, OK, just wanted to make sure.

I'm not really understanding the CT hype, is a lot of it nostalgia? I mean the music and stuff is good but the battles/battle system are all pretty dull so far. Maybe I'm the idiot for playing non-strategy RPGs and expecting fun battles, I don't know. It seems like a lot of people like CT and certain FFs for just the story and characters but I don't really understand slogging through lots of boring "gameplay" to see more cutscenes and dialog so I'm hoping I'm wrong.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HondaCivet posted:

Haha, OK, just wanted to make sure.

I'm not really understanding the CT hype, is a lot of it nostalgia? I mean the music and stuff is good but the battles/battle system are all pretty dull so far. Maybe I'm the idiot for playing non-strategy RPGs and expecting fun battles, I don't know. It seems like a lot of people like CT and certain FFs for just the story and characters but I don't really understand slogging through lots of boring "gameplay" to see more cutscenes and dialog so I'm hoping I'm wrong.

It is certainly a lot of nostalgia. I didn't play Chrono Trigger for the first time until about 3 years ago and it didn't wow me either. I can tell you the game picks up a bit once you've visited more of the eras and have the full party. Additionally the post time-machine side-quests are a lot of fun.

Again, FFV has probably the most interesting combat mechanics and their isn't much story so you'd be playing almost exclusively to see what sort of game-breaking techniques you can devise.

Its funny that you enjoyed FFXIII so much when the complaints about slogging for story is what turned a lot of people off the game. Keep in mind though, until FFXI none of the FFs have remotely fast-paced battles. You may want to abandon your quest if CT is this offputting, especially since a lot of people like it more the FFIV/VI

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Barudak posted:

It is certainly a lot of nostalgia. I didn't play Chrono Trigger for the first time until about 3 years ago and it didn't wow me either. I can tell you the game picks up a bit once you've visited more of the eras and have the full party. Additionally the post time-machine side-quests are a lot of fun.

Again, FFV has probably the most interesting combat mechanics and their isn't much story so you'd be playing almost exclusively to see what sort of game-breaking techniques you can devise.

Its funny that you enjoyed FFXIII so much when the complaints about slogging for story is what turned a lot of people off the game. Keep in mind though, until FFXI none of the FFs have remotely fast-paced battles. You may want to abandon your quest if CT is this offputting, especially since a lot of people like it more the FFIV/VI

I really loved XIII's battle system when the characters' abilities and such opened up towards the end. The fast pace makes it easy to spam buffs and debuffs to make sure they land, and it's fun to dump nasty attacks on a boss or tough enemy struggling under Poison and Slow while your guys are all sporting a huge stack of buffs. A lot of it's a slog, yeah, but the end of the game sorta made up for it, and a lot of the bosses and battles in between were fun too.

But yeah, I was pretty excited about playing the old FFs since everyone loves them so much but that was before I had played much CT. I'm only like 5 hours into CT but it feels like it's taken ages. Bleh. I've already tracked down copies of IV and VI so I'll probably try them anyway but at least I know not to get my hopes up for the fights. It's just sort of ironic; I skipped all these games as a kid because I thought RPGs would be boring. I've found some that I enjoy since then but it looks like I was mostly right all along. :\

Well, on that note, are there any non-strategy RPGs that do have fun engaging battles, preferably something without the ATB crap?

HondaCivet fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 26, 2010

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HondaCivet posted:

RPGs

ATB is proprietary to Square-Enix, but most RPGs use something similar.

Grandia uses a unique action bar which adds a lot of strategy to the moves, but the most recent in the series came out like 5 years ago on the PS2.

FFXIII is probably the first and fastest RPG that isn't a western style RPG. If you want to branch out Knights of the Old Republic 1/2 and Dragon Age are similar to FFXIII in the sense of mostly automatic combat at a fast pace but occasionally you pause and switch strategy/use items.

Are you exclusively looking for JRPGs? Because that makes it a ton harder.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Barudak posted:

ATB is proprietary to Square-Enix, but most RPGs use something similar.

Grandia uses a unique action bar which adds a lot of strategy to the moves, but the most recent in the series came out like 5 years ago on the PS2.

FFXIII is probably the first and fastest RPG that isn't a western style RPG. If you want to branch out Knights of the Old Republic 1/2 and Dragon Age are similar to FFXIII in the sense of mostly automatic combat at a fast pace but occasionally you pause and switch strategy/use items.

Are you exclusively looking for JRPGs? Because that makes it a ton harder.

Oh sweet, I got a copy of Grandia II with my Dreamcast.

Maybe I should just stick with strategy RPGs? I've been playing Disgaea which is pretty good and Valkyria Chronicles which owns. I just like turn-based battles where some thinking and strategy can go a long way (which is absolutely nothing like XIII, I know; XIII has some strategy at least I guess).

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I really enjoyed most of the boss fights in FFX. Most of the random encounters are fairly simple, but because the game uses a system that shows a list of every party member/enemy in the battle and when they will attack, the bosses are fun to fight and the game gives you time to think about what you need to do next without wasting your time waiting for a bar to fill. Like I said, the random encounters aren't really that great but most of the bosses are fun to think up strategies for.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HondaCivet posted:

Oh sweet, I got a copy of Grandia II with my Dreamcast.

Maybe I should just stick with strategy RPGs? I've been playing Disgaea which is pretty good and Valkyria Chronicles which owns. I just like turn-based battles where some thinking and strategy can go a long way (which is absolutely nothing like XIII, I know; XIII has some strategy at least I guess).

Grandia II uses a system where a bar at the bottom is split into a 3/4 and 1/4 section. When you or an enemy reaches the 1/4 section they select a move. Every type of move takes more or less time to reach the end of the bar where the move will execute. Connecting with any move stalls an opponents move, and certain moves cancel enemy moves all together. So a little ATB a little strategy.

If you enjoyed Valkyria Chronicles, there is a sequel that came out for the PSP pretty recently. Other good SRPG choices include the Final Fantasy Tactics games (although the playstation one is rather abusive if you don't know whats going on) and Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor.

More mediocre choices include Soul Nomad, Onimusha Tactics, Zone of the Enders: Fists of Mars and Spectral Forces 3.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Grandia series overall has an excellent battle system, but the games also generally have very weak plots. Grandia 2 was a really enjoyable experience for me when I played it just after its release. The way the IP bar works (that's what it was called right?) and the way you used moves and combos to slow, stop, or push back an enemy's progress on it was really interesting and added a lot of strategy to battles. There were other weird elements to it like the fact that your characters actually had travel time to get from their spot to their enemies and if they were too slow they'd lose their turn. It's just rare for RPGs to account for your physical location during the battles. The main pitfall of Grandia 2, aside from its weak plot, was that it was just too easy. I only really had trouble at once boss and every other boss was really easy and the other battles were also a joke. The game did very little to throw a challenge your way, and there wasn't much reason to use much of the strategy the game actually allowed you to do.

Grandia 3 had a better battle system, I think. But more importantly, it was more difficult. The bosses were more challenging, and throughout the game they threw in bigger more powerful enemies at you in unexpected places and they really made you use the most of the options the game gives you, and it was really fun. It's probably a better game because of this. But the plot is somehow even worse than Grandia 2 and has the most laughable dialog I've ever heard on the PS2, and makes you think you're watching a disney movie sometimes. It's really painful.

I firmly believe that as far as traditional JRPGs go, the Grandia series has the best battle system. It's just really involved and engaging. 3 especially.

Related to the above post, I want to ask, what is the PSP sequel to Valkyria Chronicles going to be like? Does anyone know? I don't have a PS3 and really want to play VC some time, but it seems unlikely. Is Valkyria Chronicles 2 going to have a system that's just as good as VC1, just with worse graphics? Is the plot going to be directly linked?

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Evil Eagle posted:

I really enjoyed most of the boss fights in FFX. Most of the random encounters are fairly simple, but because the game uses a system that shows a list of every party member/enemy in the battle and when they will attack, the bosses are fun to fight and the game gives you time to think about what you need to do next without wasting your time waiting for a bar to fill. Like I said, the random encounters aren't really that great but most of the bosses are fun to think up strategies for.

Have you tried Final Fantasy Tactics? It's a strategy-rpg that uses a similar system in that you can see where everyone's moves lie and plan ahead. It will easily have that same strategic planning aspect although it won't be as cinematic as FFX's boss battles were.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
I feel like playing a RTS/City Building game. I've played the poo poo out Rise of Nations, so anything similar to it will be ok. RoN had something that made me play it for hours straight, not like AoE2. I really wonder what is that "something", since objectively they seem quite similar. difficulty ramp maybe?

City building: I enjoy Caesar 3, but the fact that i can't minimize it is quite annoying (i can't play it for more than 30 minutes). I found SimCity 4 too difficult back in the day tho (well i was 15), and when i tried tropico 3 i didnt find it cool enough.

Anno 1404? Anno 1701? Settlers?

About the graphics, I don't mind if they are 2d-ish (in fact, if they have AWESOME 2d graphics they'll gain extra points), but don't want lovely simple cubes for houses or too heavy 3ds that will make my laptop melt. wow i'm so demanding.

Cable fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 26, 2010

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
You might as well try SimCity 4. In my opinion, it's fairly easy, and this is coming from someone who sucks at Caesar, Tropico, etc.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Are there any decent free online games to play with friends? (usually to kill time) or any really good co-op games for friends to play?

We usually play Alien Swarm or L4D2 or other valve stuff but get tired of it after awhile and sit in vent bored.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
So far Dragon Age: Origins is pretty cool. I wouldn't say it's mind blowing or anything but for once I'm playing a game with a pretty decent storyline! Thanks for the suggestions :)

I'm also getting STALKER CoP, and Fallout 3 + the expansions!

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

So someone just mentioned the Grandia series to me in here and it sounds cool . . . I have Grandia II for the DC but should I play Grandia I first? I know the stories/characters probably aren't directly related but would anything about II spoil I in some way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HondaCivet posted:

So someone just mentioned the Grandia series to me in here and it sounds cool . . . I have Grandia II for the DC but should I play Grandia I first? I know the stories/characters probably aren't directly related but would anything about II spoil I in some way?

Not even the same world. The only thing that carries over is the idea of "A Great Rift" and a bunch of spell names and such. No plot, character, area, setting, or any other thing carries over between the games.