Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

TheGopher posted:

Hey, that's the same background my friend used when he had desktop extend across three monitors. Middle was white because there was always something fullscreen on it. Was a pretty cool effect from afar.

What's up with all the desktop icons? And why the clock in front of your monitor?

If I'm in a fullscreen program or something I can glance at the clock for the time. It's usually faster than bringing up the taskbar and looking at the time there.

As for the icons, I had a mass icon purging where nearly everything was condensed into folders, but now the folders have proliferated. :(

Most of the icons are just one-time things that I made when I was doing something, I should clean it up one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
I just disabled icons on my desktop because that always happens to me and I'm not vigilant with keeping it clear. Now the desktop is just essential an easily accessible temp folder.

Oh and I made the comment about the clock because it was in front of the monitor. I have my alarm clock on my desk for exactly the same reason you described, but it's on the back right corner of my desk. v:shobon:v

TheGopher fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 24, 2010

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
I read through this thread a year ago and decided I was tired of my old setup. It took me this long to finally get it the way I wanted.

Ikea Galant desk with more space than I really need and surprisingly cheap considering everything else I came across. It's also amazing what two cable organizers on the bottom of the desk can do for the look of the desk. The only two cables you can see without getting under the desk go to the power strips. I'm not too worried about those.

To the guy on the last page trying to hack up his Galant desk, you know they make a U-shaped piece right? It'd probably cost $120-150 to add on to what you have with the added bonus that it would look good.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I read through this thread a year ago and decided I was tired of my old setup. It took me this long to finally get it the way I wanted.

Ikea Galant desk with more space than I really need and surprisingly cheap considering everything else I came across. It's also amazing what two cable organizers on the bottom of the desk can do for the look of the desk. The only two cables you can see without getting under the desk go to the power strips. I'm not too worried about those.

Awesome, I have the same setup of desks but the other way around forming my little command center:

This was when I first put it together, so the computers/cabling is all different (I now have 2 monitors and laptops are to the right). But it's fun to see the different options using the same desks.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

tuna posted:

Awesome, I have the same setup of desks but the other way around forming my little command center:

This was when I first put it together, so the computers/cabling is all different (I now have 2 monitors and laptops are to the right). But it's fun to see the different options using the same desks.

That's definitely an interesting setup, didn't even think about that layout. You could almost do surround sound with that.

I had a basic idea what I wanted but once I was staring at that sheet they give you for the desk and all the parts needed to make it happen... I was surprised they didn't make it easier to figure out. I guess that's also what it was cheap.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Can I get a link to that wallpaper? Very nice.

plannerpirate
Apr 21, 2010

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Can I get a link to that wallpaper? Very nice.

It looks like this one. http://kionee.deviantart.com/art/Rainy-Day-Wallpaper-137770752

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

That's definitely an interesting setup, didn't even think about that layout. You could almost do surround sound with that.

I had a basic idea what I wanted but once I was staring at that sheet they give you for the desk and all the parts needed to make it happen... I was surprised they didn't make it easier to figure out. I guess that's also what it was cheap.

Yeah it definitely took a while to get it built. It makes sense once you decipher the diagrams. I now feel like I've passed the honorary Swede entrance exam.

The only reason my desks are setup like that is because I have a TV off of screen-left of the photo that I'd like to watch while using the computer. So facing forwards as much as possible was the main goal. Ugliness factor comes in a distant 2nd.

Trapdoor
Jun 7, 2005
The one and only.

Click here for the full 1920x1088 image.

This is my desk at work, no it's not overkill, I really need that many monitors.

Trapdoor fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 26, 2010

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Trapdoor posted:

Click here for the full 1920x1088 image.

This is my desk at work, no it's not overkill, I really need that many monitors.

What is it you do that requires so many monitor on the water?

tuna posted:

Yeah it definitely took a while to get it built. It makes sense once you decipher the diagrams. I now feel like I've passed the honorary Swede entrance exam.

Hey there fellow Galant owner. I just got mine, the fact they include every possible combination in their instructions does not make it any easier. I'll have to post a picture later.

Man, I have a Galant AND a Steelcase. I'm in two clubs here now. :coal:

PirateDentist fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 26, 2010

Trapdoor
Jun 7, 2005
The one and only.

PirateDentist posted:

What is it you do that requires so many monitor on the water?

I push buttons and find oil.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

Trapdoor posted:

I push buttons and find oil.
That explains why you are on a ship. I've been on a lot of seismic vessels and they love hanging things off of plywood.

Cityhunter
Mar 3, 2008

Click here for the full 1440x1080 image.

The setup in my room, would love to have a better method of hiding wires but unfortunately behind that wall is concrete block so hiding things in the wall is a pain.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So with all this love for the Galant, my wife just showed me this weekend that they're rear end cheap. So I think I'll be picking up one of the A-frame straight models this week. I feel like the curved model will dominate my office.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Cityhunter posted:

Click here for the full 1440x1080 image.

The setup in my room, would love to have a better method of hiding wires but unfortunately behind that wall is concrete block so hiding things in the wall is a pain.

It's okay, you have a Dreamcast set up there, you pretty much win already

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

Cityhunter posted:

The number one thing you can do to make it look cleaner (it's not really dirty, just messy), without redoing the wiring, is moving all the random crap to better a better spot. I'm sure you don't need instant access to several cd-r spindles, so why not store it in a box in an easily accessible closet or something? If you do that, you could probably move all the consoles down one shelf, and leave only things like controllers, mice, etc. on the very top part. Bigger shelf on the right might help, but I don't know what it looks like past that point.

Just suggestions, don't really care, but everybody wants a clean work/play area, right? RIGHT?

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

TheGopher posted:

I'm sure you don't need instant access to several cd-r spindles

:yarr:

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

BattleHork posted:

:yarr:

Hey now! He/she could be copying legitimate game discs so he doesn't have to handle them and possibly scratch them up. I keep a spindle of PS2 games on my PS2 for the same reason. Stick rare/out-of-print/Japanese games in the mix and it's an even better thing to do.

Surely there's a better place for that garbage can, though. Yikes.

Cityhunter
Mar 3, 2008

TheGopher posted:

The number one thing you can do to make it look cleaner (it's not really dirty, just messy), without redoing the wiring, is moving all the random crap to better a better spot. I'm sure you don't need instant access to several cd-r spindles, so why not store it in a box in an easily accessible closet or something? If you do that, you could probably move all the consoles down one shelf, and leave only things like controllers, mice, etc. on the very top part. Bigger shelf on the right might help, but I don't know what it looks like past that point.

Just suggestions, don't really care, but everybody wants a clean work/play area, right? RIGHT?

You are right I don't I just don't have access to a better place to put them atm, those shelves are full of DVD's and for the people wondering why i have so many of them, they are used for backups for things like quickbooks, appreciate the input though and do plan on adding more storage space for things like that, unfortunately the one thing this room doesn't have is a proper closet to store things in.
Also the can just has wastepaper/cardboard in it so not too worried aobut it's location, again this isn't my living room.

Trapdoor
Jun 7, 2005
The one and only.

tonelok posted:

That explains why you are on a ship. I've been on a lot of seismic vessels and they love hanging things off of plywood.

It's sort of a seismic vessel, just that we use electromagnetic pulses generated from generators pushing 140V at 5000A instead of sound waves/explosions.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Ferg posted:

So with all this love for the Galant, my wife just showed me this weekend that they're rear end cheap. So I think I'll be picking up one of the A-frame straight models this week. I feel like the curved model will dominate my office.

Check your local craigslist first. I got my setup for $65. It would cost me $285 to get it from Ikea today.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

:sigh: I have to sell my Galant and my beloved Jerker. It's a crying shame, I'll tell you.

Not That Into You
Oct 29, 2007

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Cityhunter posted:

Check out my 5.1 surround sound! :downs:

DrOgdenWernstrom
Sep 9, 2009

I reject your reality
And substitute my own

And to the left of that
Dell PowerConnect 2716
Cisco 2950
Dell PowerEdge 2650

I have two more cisco routers and another poweredge 2650 coming tomorrow and a rack coming friday

EvilPsych
Jul 19, 2004
Ask me about my 'LiveJournal' :rollseyes:
Dang you guys have such clean desks.. something feels staged about those.. here's my atrocity. Soon we're moving to a bigger office and I'll get a new desk setup to spread out/get better organized.

Click here for the full 2048x1360 image.

Tharax
Jul 15, 2009

EvilPsych posted:

Dang you guys have such clean desks.. something feels staged about those.. here's my atrocity. Soon we're moving to a bigger office and I'll get a new desk setup to spread out/get better organized.

Click here for the full 2048x1360 image.

you cant have all that cool stuff lying around your desk and then blur something below the right monitor. what is it?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Tharax posted:

you cant have all that cool stuff lying around your desk and then blur something below the right monitor. what is it?

probably a business card with his name on it.

EvilPsych
Jul 19, 2004
Ask me about my 'LiveJournal' :rollseyes:

GoldenNugget posted:

probably a business card with his name on it.

DING DING DING.. we have a winner.. I try to avoid internet detective assholery whenever possible. Keeping work and private life separate is always a challenge.

I will answer some limited questions about what's on the desk and why though.

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
I love this thread so much! It convinced me to get an Ikea Galant! I've never had this much extra space on a desk before. It's nice to be able to actually paint my Warhammer models in the office again.

Anyways the black looked so blaa so I went to Target and pinked and greened it up a bit with some accents. Girly enough for you? =P

Candy Dawn fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 30, 2010

Mecha-Tech
Nov 3, 2008

Click here for the full 2048x1530 image.

Here's my desktop. I've been made the Mac repair guy, so I get an iMac along with the random Dual-monitor dells. The stuff to the right is just the anti-static repair area on my table. Nothing amazing to look at.

Kruzen
Sep 3, 2003

I need to engage in homicidal behaviour on a massive scale. It can not be corrected but I have no other way to fulfill my needs.
Everyone hates my post :(

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Candy Dawn posted:

I love this thread so much! It convinced me to get an Ikea Galant! I've never had this much extra space on a desk before. It's nice to be able to actually paint my Warhammer models in the office again.

Anyways the black looked so blaa so I went to Target and pinked and greened it up a bit with some accents. Girly enough for you? =P

Is that a bungee chair? How do you like it?

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!

lowcrabdiet posted:

Is that a bungee chair? How do you like it?

It is! I got it for 40 at Target. Surprisingly it's really comfy. I really love how it conforms to your tush and back. Highly recommended!

Mecha-Tech
Nov 3, 2008

Candy Dawn posted:

What are you painting in Photoshop? It looks like one of the characters from James Cameron's Avatar.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Mecha-Tech posted:

What are you painting in Photoshop? It looks like one of the characters from James Cameron's Avatar.
ruh roh

Mecha-Tech
Nov 3, 2008
No, not bad, just curious. From the little I can see (since the pic is a little blurry), the art kind of reminds me of Paul Dini's style.

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
Good eye! Yeah it's a parody image of a neytiri for the game my place of business is currently working on.

MA-Horus posted:

:sigh: I have to sell my Galant and my beloved Jerker. It's a crying shame, I'll tell you.

Why come? I love my Galant so much I know I'd hate to sell it. =(

Candy Dawn fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 30, 2010

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Picture taken of desk after installing new 24" monitor last night.

Not pictured: mess of books and boxes to the immediate left and mess of books, magic cards and action figures immediately above. This picture actually makes my work space look organized.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Candy Dawn posted:

Why come? I love my Galant so much I know I'd hate to sell it. =(

Moving to Korea. I was originally going to store everything in my grandparent's simply massive basement, however my grandmother can no longer live in that house, so we need to sell it. And nobody else has room for my stuff. So I'm selling just about everything.

Makes me sad. I sold the jerker in about half an hour on Craigslist for $70.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
I just moved into an unfurnished apartment and picked up a corner desk at a consignment shop. Right now I'm still trying to find a good configuration for my equipment. I want to try and keep my tower off the floor (dust), but I also really hate having my speakers like this. They need to be elevated a bit, and I want them to be further back:

I also need to get a drill so I can install my cable management rack without splitting the wood.