Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Muffinpox posted:

edit: NEVERMIND, it comes with an engine thank loving god.

An engine that needs premium fuel :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Slothophile posted:

The 918 just got green lit....

gently caress yes.

YOURS FOR ONLY $650,000!!! ACT NOW AND WE'LL THROW IN A $7,500 TAX REBATE! THAT'S RIGHT FOLKS THIS COULD BE YOURS FOR THE LOW LOW PRICE OF ONLY $642,500!!!!!!!

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

Slothophile same as Santa Claus but one small difference: he stop at nothing to kill you.

keykey posted:

YOURS FOR ONLY $650,000!!! ACT NOW AND WE'LL THROW IN A $7,500 TAX REBATE! THAT'S RIGHT FOLKS THIS COULD BE YOURS FOR THE LOW LOW PRICE OF ONLY $642,500!!!!!!!

It gets 94mpg on combined cycle so you'll make it back in fuel savings!

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

Naky posted:

I look at the picture for that car and the first thing I notice is for all that money and all that styling, you still don't get xenon projectors in your headlights. Guess they had to save money somewhere with those rims.
Clear rims are never going to be implemented until someone creates dust-less brakes. They show up on concept cars and sometimes showroom floors, but you're not going to see one on the road.

I tell myself this so I can pretend that car's not really coming out as pictured. Maybe they'll change enough that it won't break my heart that I'll never own one :(

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

IOwnCalculus posted:

Irony is it's a car that only makes fiscal sense if you are racking up a shitload of miles.

Only if you are doing it less than 40 miles at a time.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ozziegt posted:

I've been wondering that, how's the Volt's fuel efficiency if you were to drain the battery all the way and then drive around with the gas engine on all the time?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Slothophile posted:

94mpg @ $5/gal = 5/94 $/mi = about a nickle per mile

By contrast my Jeep costs about 40c per mile @ five dollar gas (5/12 $/mi = $0.40/mi), which is roughly five times as much. But the Porsche costs 214 times what I paid for the Jeep, and 32 times its MSRP.

You'd have to drive the Porsche well over 12 million miles to recoup the difference in used purchase price. And just shy of 12 million for the MSRP price difference.

:roflolmao:

anonumos fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 29, 2010

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ozziegt posted:

Or in chunks close to it. My daily commute would put me running on fuel for the last ten miles or so into home, which for the sake of avoiding having year-old fuel in the tank, would probably not be terrible.

Speaking of which, I wonder if a bottle of fuel stabilizer will become regular maintenance on a Volt?

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

e: woops

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
Not about cars, but car news: apparently Johnny Lieberman is jumping ship from Autoblog to Motor Trend. redscare needs to get him on AI, stat.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Slothophile posted:

The 918 just got green lit....

gently caress yes.
I wonder if there is anything that could be done to make it look any more like a Ferrari.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

PBCrunch posted:

I wonder if there is anything that could be done to make it look any more like a Ferrari.

Throw some red paint on it. It bothers me that the rendering basically kowtows to hellaflushness. I wonder what the actual suspension will look like.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

I'm willing to bet those wheels will be smaller, rims not clear, brake discs probably reduced to accommodate these changes, and the exhaust pipes sticking out right behind the door will be gone, and that's just for starters. Not sure how sold they are on a gas filler flap right by the passenger's face, but for the passenger's sake I hope it gets moved, or every trip to the fuel station will be unpleasant if you stay in the car.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Slothophile posted:

For once, it's a car you'd actually want to drive enough to make back those savings, too! Which is... ah... at about $3/gallon... roughly 1,492,000 miles vs a more conventional supercar, like a Laborghini Murcielago. You could do it over a 5-year loan, to... if you drove 6 hours a day at 150mph.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Somehow I doubt the buyers will be very torn up about that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Anyone who is analyzing the 918 as a value proposition really has no understanding of that market.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Throatwarbler posted:

LED headlights bro.

RAD. Though I don't particularly trust LEDs just yet for my headlights. It's early tech even at this stage though so I'm sure it'll improve.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Naky posted:

RAD. Though I don't particularly trust LEDs just yet for my headlights. It's early tech even at this stage though so I'm sure it'll improve.

Really? LED's have an effective service life that is FAR longer than any other bulb on the market.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

MikeyTsi posted:

Really? LED's have an effective service life that is FAR longer than any other bulb on the market.

The LEDs themselves rarely fail; rather, the soldering that bonds them to their substrate does. It doesn't look like the automakers have found a better way of doing this either - I've seen more than a few new Audis with one or more LEDs out already.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MrChips posted:

The LEDs themselves rarely fail; rather, the soldering that bonds them to their substrate does. It doesn't look like the automakers have found a better way of doing this either - I've seen more than a few new Audis with one or more LEDs out already.

Are these failures related to RoHS?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

leica posted:

Pricing for the Chevy Volt has been released, for the sum of $41,000 you can own GM's first electric car with all the teething issues to go with it!

http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/volt/2011/2011-chevrolet-volt-priced-at-41000-orders-start-now.html

What about the first electric car from GM?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

MrChips posted:

This. It's not the bulbs I'm worried about, but talk about a technology prone to premature failure and on a safety device like headlights, you'd be hosed if they failed or only half worked and you actually had somewhere to go at night. Projectors will be around for a while longer yet, I think.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Naky posted:

This. It's not the bulbs I'm worried about, but talk about a technology prone to premature failure and on a safety device like headlights, you'd be hosed if they failed or only half worked and you actually had somewhere to go at night. Projectors will be around for a while longer yet, I think.

Toyota has been using them since 2007, you can even get them on a Prius now. Escalade has had them since 2009. Maybe the Audi ones are broken because they are Audis.

KlementGottwald
Dec 24, 2009

by angerbot

Throatwarbler posted:

Maybe the Audi ones are broken because they are Audis.

This.

My Parents have a 2009 Audi A4. So far it's needed a camshaft postion sensor, the door lock switch came off it my hand, and the MMI is starting to cut out at random intervals.

Run away from these cars out of warranty.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Throatwarbler posted:

Toyota has been using them since 2007, you can even get them on a Prius now. Escalade has had them since 2009. Maybe the Audi ones are broken because they are Audis.

I've had a few acquaintances change their cars over to LED based systems, though only one dude did his headlights too, and all of them have had to replace multiple lights within 3-6 months of usage despite claims of like 15k hours of use before replacement. They're just incredibly unpredictable systems IMO. I see OEM tail lights, like those priuses, and aftermarket taillights like those crappy truck ones you can buy driving around with a couple burnt out too. It looks lovely and on the whole just seems untrustworthy to me. Maybe it's just Murphy's Law kicking in but it does seem to be a common enough failure to make me second guess it.

Choco Zulu
Oct 10, 2007

A critical mass of chocolate confectionary

Naky posted:

I've had a few acquaintances change their cars over to LED based systems, though only one dude did his headlights too, and all of them have had to replace multiple lights within 3-6 months of usage despite claims of like 15k hours of use before replacement. They're just incredibly unpredictable systems IMO. I see OEM tail lights, like those priuses, and aftermarket taillights like those crappy truck ones you can buy driving around with a couple burnt out too. It looks lovely and on the whole just seems untrustworthy to me. Maybe it's just Murphy's Law kicking in but it does seem to be a common enough failure to make me second guess it.

What about the taillights on the Infiniti G series? I never see them burnt out, and I like the bigger bulb they use. Are they just big LEDs?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Is 800 ft lb the most torque offered in a stock consumer pickup truck to date?

I can't wait to see Chevy's response - we've already got morons driving their poorly maintaned modified Duramaxes into the Christmas tree at the local dragstrip, why not throw some more power on that IFS and hand it out to everyone?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 4, 2010

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

my 245hp - 505 ft/lbs is starting to sound kinda pathetic. :(

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

Throatwarbler posted:

My 1994 Toyota MR2 with 197,000 miles has a LED lightbar and I don't think a single LED is out yet. Infinitis don't have any problems either. It just comes down to the quality of the engineering and materials.

But really, mounting a series 5mm 100mA bulbs and a 1-3W headlight LED are two different beasts.

ozziegt fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 4, 2010

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

http://www.nissanextendedwarranty.com/recalls/nissan-recalls.html

quote:

NISSAN IS RECALLING MODEL YEAR 2009-2010 NISSAN CUBE VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM JANUARY 30, 2009 THROUGH JULY 30, 2010. THESE VEHICLES FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 301, "FUEL SYSTEM INTEGRITY." WHEN THE VEHICLE WAS ROTATED FOLLOWING A REAR MOVING BARRIER CRASH TEST AS REQUIRED, THE AMOUNT OF FUEL LEAKAGE EXCEEDED THE ALLOWABLE LIMITS.

Suprised this has not been mentioned yet. Nissan recalls a year and a halfs worth of manufactured vehicles.

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

JackRabbitStorm posted:

Suprised this has not been mentioned yet. Nissan recalls a year and a halfs worth of manufactured vehicles.

It's a brilliant move on their part, since nobody would ever admit to buying one.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

ssh posted:

It's a brilliant move on their part, since nobody would ever admit to buying one.

There is a guy in my town that has a white cube, and a big sticker of a rubiks cube on the back window. It says in old english "Tricky Cube" right under it.

Apparently he was going to paint it like a Rubiks Cube as well. I hope he does, if only for the photos to put up here.

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

JackRabbitStorm posted:

Apparently he was going to paint it like a Rubiks Cube as well. I hope he does, if only for the photos to put up here.

If he's already prepared to fold and twist it, he should have looked into a Frontier. :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ssh posted:

I recall some guy here bragging about his.

Lazareth
Dec 28, 2004
haha, i'm not an '05, take that!
I worked at a gas station last summer.

One day some 55 year old guy came in and gassed up his Cube.
I asked him about it(morbid curiosity), and clearly he thought I was impressed by the car, since he wore the most :smug: face I had ever seen.

It's almost like taking pride in a large bruise or cut you have. People are grossed out by it, but you think it's pretty cool.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I can't wait to see Chevy's response - we've already got morons driving their poorly maintaned modified Duramaxes into the Christmas tree at the local dragstrip, why not throw some more power on that IFS and hand it out to everyone?

Stock probably, I know a bunch of guys that got Duramaxes and even Cummings BT6's up to 1000+ ft lbs.

I know on the Duramax, it's a warranty voiding situation if you try to run an aftermarket ECU on the engine, or try to push it past stock settings.

I've seen situations where a blown engine comes into a shop, they pull and check the block out to see if there's a crosshatch pattern that's scored or burnt, if it is, the dealer will void the warranty on the spot. Something like that.

I'm sure they'll adjust the tune a bit, and just start a numbers pissing game, there is only so far they can go before they have to start eating into warranty payouts or bumping into emissions issues.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Holy poo poo.

Holy poo poo!

Those wheels are awful, though. Link

The nose is also a bit big, but it's butch and aggressive so I'm onboard.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Oh cool, they took the XJ and made it uglier.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Oh cool, they took the XJ and made it uglier.

Apart from the wheels I don't see how they made it uglier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

travisray2004 posted:

Apart from the wheels I don't see how they made it uglier.

I don't like the front end treatment at all and the wheels are godawful and as as far as I can see those are the only changes they made.