Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
So the rear differential on my '89 Cherokee decided it didn't want to make it to 400,000 KM. Only 3,000 more to go :( Was just outside of town and doing about 100 KPH when I heard a loud KABANG! and thump thump thump thump as the jeep slowed to a hault. gently caress. Got it back home the next day and found a surprise in my diff.

The pinion gear is mostly gone, shredded into bits. Took out some of the ring gear, and part of the housing. It still had plenty of oil in it, I guess it was just over stressed from 397,000KM of abuse. Goodbye, Dana 35, you served me well. :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
Ouch, good thing it didnt lock up. I had the ring gear explode in my volvo 740's rear axle in a parking lot. Locked my tires right up, I could go forward and backwards about 2 feet before locking. I have some pics around here somewhere.

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
I dont know who's bike this was, but they managed to saw the chain clean through the derailleur. I wonder how long they pedaled, slowly grinding away at it?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

hippynerd posted:

I dont know who's bike this was, but they managed to saw the chain clean through the derailleur. I wonder how long they pedaled, slowly grinding away at it?

For someone who daily drives a 10 speed, this took me entirely too long to rationalise what I was looking at.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

It looks more like it just snapped, you wouldn't be able to shift into any higher gear and still have it rubbing against the chain. Hell, the only way I can see you sawing through would be if you had such a poorly adjusted derailleur that it was rubbing in the smallest gear, and that wouldn't break it that high up.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Ephphatha posted:

Hell, the only way I can see you sawing through would be if you had such a poorly adjusted derailleur that it was rubbing in the smallest gear, and that wouldn't break it that high up.

Well, how did it snap then? That's not exactly a high stress area. I was justifying it as either riding on the larger gear or chain flex. Other than that I've got absolutely nothing.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
The chain was on the middle of the three larger sprockets, and the deraileur was bent in towards the frame. The bike would be unable to shift to the largest gear but could seat on the middle one while rubbing.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Requesting picture of the USAF truck that crashed into the nose of some high performance aircraft parked on the flight line.

I don't have a picture but I have a story. In 1988 I saw a mid 80's GM truck that looked like this can on the side of highway 4 in the bay area in California.

I saw the same CHP officer later and asked him what happened. He told me the guy used a tow strap to tie down a load in the bed. He never secured it after dropping off the load he threw the excess strap into the bed. It came partially loose and it got caught in the driveshaft. It fell down between the cab and bed and squeezed the frame rails together, it was still attached to both sides of the frame and "up and over" the bed. it crushed the bed and pulled the cab back and down into the bed.

Luckily nobody was injured.

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 28, 2010

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

B4Ctom1 posted:

Requesting picture of the USAF truck that crashed into the nose of some high performance aircraft parked on the flight line.

I don't have a picture but I have a story. In 1988 I saw a mid 80's GM truck that looked like this can on the side of highway 4 in the bay area in California.

I saw the same CHP officer later and asked him what happened. He told me the guy used a tow strap to tie down a load in the bed. He never secured it after dropping off the load he threw the excess strap into the bed. It came partially loose and it got caught in the driveshaft. It fell down between the cab and bed and squeezed the frame rails together, it was still attached to both sides of the frame and "up and over" the bed. it crushed the bed and pulled the cab back and down into the bed.

Luckily nobody was injured.

That would loving suck, driving down the road and CRUNCH. I would be so confused to what just happened.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Well, how did it snap then? That's not exactly a high stress area. I was justifying it as either riding on the larger gear or chain flex. Other than that I've got absolutely nothing.

Side impact from clipping a rock/stick? But that'd require some pretty unlucky trajectories to get past the pedals.

Micros theory would work as long as they never changed down a gear. (Which in a fairly level area isn't an unreasonable assumption.)

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

Ephphatha posted:

Micros theory would work as long as they never changed down a gear. (Which in a fairly level area isn't an unreasonable assumption.)
Given how poorly adjusted his derailleur obviously is if it's impossible to go to the 3rd cog, it's possible he couldn't change.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

ExtremeODD posted:

That would loving suck, driving down the road and CRUNCH. I would be so confused to what just happened.

Imagine the :(:hf::( when the person changes moods from "some fuckers just hit me!" to "oh god why was I so stupid"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MrZig posted:

So the rear differential on my '89 Cherokee decided it didn't want to make it to 400,000 KM. Only 3,000 more to go :( Was just outside of town and doing about 100 KPH when I heard a loud KABANG! and thump thump thump thump as the jeep slowed to a hault. gently caress. Got it back home the next day and found a surprise in my diff.

The pinion gear is mostly gone, shredded into bits. Took out some of the ring gear, and part of the housing. It still had plenty of oil in it, I guess it was just over stressed from 397,000KM of abuse. Goodbye, Dana 35, you served me well. :patriot:

I had this happen to me....same axle as well. Didn't lock up, so I dragged myself home in 4x4 mode using the front axle, cringing as I heard the metal shards in the back scraping and popping and clanging.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

CommieGIR posted:

I had this happen to me....same axle as well. Didn't lock up, so I dragged myself home in 4x4 mode using the front axle, cringing as I heard the metal shards in the back scraping and popping and clanging.

That's word for word exactly what I did. Haha! Everyone was looking at me, and my dad driving behind me could hear it. Oh those were bad sounds.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Cross posting from my thread. I was doing a timing belt and water pump on my friends' '94 Galant after the water pump hucked the belt off the pulley. Think I found the problem.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.
So how many little bits of metal are now circulating around the engine? :gonk:

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Revolvyerom posted:

So how many little bits of metal are now circulating around the engine? :gonk:

I'd rather have those bits in the coolant than in the oil... :smug:

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.
Yeah, but with chunks of metal, all of that might meet each other in one friendly seal-busting soup. Party in the engine block! :dance:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

post youtubes of spectacular mechanical successses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=364dzVsBs2o

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

"Washing machine self-destructs" yea because you THREW A BRICK IN IT. Flagrant false advertising :colbert:

BlackShadow
May 31, 2009

Ola posted:

That channel is a glorious source of :science:.

"We're not going to get the bubbling over till we hit 100-150 Kilowatt. Obviously I haven't got that in the house, but we'll get it from somewhere don't worry about that."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJI39lZoGpI

As an engineer myself, this man is now a loving legend.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

BlackShadow posted:

That channel is a glorious source of :science:.

"We're not going to get the bubbling over till we hit 100-150 Kilowatt. Obviously I haven't got that in the house, but we'll get it from somewhere don't worry about that."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJI39lZoGpI

As an engineer myself, this man is now a loving legend.

N'awww, it's a cute little transformer. :3:

I mean hell, my solid-state exciter isolation transformers are at least 40kVA with a high K-factor to boot. I don't consider a transformer "big" until you get over 10MVA. I am curious where he's going to get the 100-150kVA from.

Anyways, it's also kind of neat to see that people this British actually do exist. And he's going to hook it to 300A at 240V, wow. That's greater than 4/0 cable.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 1, 2010

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Awful crash in the Super League racing during the weekend. Driver is alive...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je71qzTdzx0

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

You Am I posted:

Awful crash in the Super League racing during the weekend. Driver is alive...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je71qzTdzx0

That's a picture of a horrible mechanical failure?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

meatpimp posted:

That's a picture of a horrible mechanical failure?

You didn't see the pieces flying everywhere? :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I used to work in white goods testing & we did highspeed video of drums failing at high speed, in an armoured underground bunker. They tend to be fine up until 11000-11500 rpm before they wobble. Then you have to go see how much of the video kit survived :v:

Unfortunately I have no video to show.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

post pictures youtubes links to a blogspot with embedded google video of horrible mechanical engineering failures

quote:

The now generally accepted explanation is that a miscalculation by Texaco regarding their location resulted in the drill puncturing the roof of the third level of the mine. This created an opening in the bottom of the lake, similar to removing the drain plug from a bathtub. The lake then drained into the hole, expanding the size of that hole as the soil and salt were washed into the mine by the rushing water, filling the enormous caverns left by the removal of salt over the years. The resultant whirlpool sucked in the drilling platform, eleven barges, many trees and 65 acres (260,000 m2) of the surrounding terrain.

http://rootsgpk.blogspot.com/2009/01/what-14-drilled-hole-in-wrong-place-can.html

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

Ola posted:

post pictures youtubes links to a blogspot with embedded google video of horrible mechanical engineering failures

http://rootsgpk.blogspot.com/2009/01/what-14-drilled-hole-in-wrong-place-can.html

That video was pretty damned cool.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Ola posted:

Someone's wife is going to be pissed about the tomato plants.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Ah man... I still can't believe nobody died in that, saw the original video on TV years ago. At least Diamond had good safety practices....

Also "intense sucking power" :dance:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Ola posted:

I laughed really really really hard at this. My wife was nonplussed. I think she was thinking what a waste of a machine that was.

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
The guy that broke this was pretty freaked out, he didnt want to ride the bike anymore :(

I replaced the gooseneck, and another guy took it away.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

hippynerd posted:

The guy that broke this was pretty freaked out, he didnt want to ride the bike anymore :(

I replaced the gooseneck, and another guy took it away.

What part is that exactly? And how did he do that?

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

Ola posted:

Thanks for that. I had this version, and it's quite funny but it's always good to see the original. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lIR2NKY98c

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZKsWhpa73k

This is what happens when you pull 700hp out of a GTR

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma

Beach Bum posted:

What part is that exactly? And how did he do that?

Its the part the holds the handlebars to the forks tube thing.

Heres another view that may help.

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

Powershift posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZKsWhpa73k

This is what happens when you pull 700hp out of a GTR

I'd be tempted to count the 5 minute ad after the 5 seconds of footage a mechanical failure too.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

hippynerd posted:

Its the part the holds the handlebars to the forks tube thing.

Heres another view that may help.

I believe that part is called a stem.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Hillridge posted:

I believe that part is called a stem.

A quill stem for a 1'' threaded headset to be exact :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Crossposting my ill fated Chevy 283. Dropped a valve while I was doing a celebratory burn out. It didn't make any warning sound, it just stopped mid burn and then smoke came out everywhere.