Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
The Vandals with Harry Reasoner. Written by Andy Rooney from ABC News 1972

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT0zmvmElJU
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VnK1s7iIoA
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUDh1D8pxz4

I thought this was all going to be a pretty unfair look at black ghettos and the such, but it actually a pretty interesting look at various forms of vandalism including littering and pollution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Darkon is hilarious.

And yet, oddly touching. Wish they didn't burn that fort of theirs such a waste :(.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Srebrenica: A Cry from the Grave
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9045158223206269582

quote:

A Cry from the Grave tells the story of the Srebrenica massacre of 1995, in which the Bosnian Serb army killed an estimated 7,000 Bosnian Muslims. It follows hour by hour the story of the killings. Through the testimony of survivors and relatives of those who died it explores the pain felt when no one is brought to justice.There are interviews with investigators from the UN-sponsored court at The Hague and from the UN special prosecutor. But the underlying message of the film is bleak indeed - no matter what is done, it will never be enough. A Cry from the Grave has won numerous prizes. It has been shown at the UN, and it was used during a war crimes trial at The Hague

This made me feel dirty inside.

Judakel posted:

He recommended an insane documentary about AIDS/HIV a while back. I believe one poster took him to task on it.
You're thinking of another guy. I'm not the one who posted the documentary about AIDS. If I remember correctly, it was something about how AIDS was lab-created or something like that. For the record, I don't think such a thing.
And saying that I hate jews just because I say that I liked a documentary about a JEWISH anti-zionist is, well, pretty stupid.

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 2, 2010

Rocketfish
Jul 2, 2007

*pshew!*
Thanks!
In the same vein as King Corn and Food Inc, The End of the Line is a documentary on the impending collapses of fisheries world wide. The subject itself is pretty broad, so it doesn't go into much detail about the ten zillion different issues that makes for one hell of a problem, but it's a great overview for someone unfamiliar with the state our fisheries are currently in.

http://endoftheline.com/

I don't have netflix, but I'm almost positive you can find it on their site.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Are there any good Holocaust documentaries available to watch for free online?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Just a heads-up The Best Worst Movie was pretty drat great. It's a documentary about the movie Troll 2 (which is an old SA favorite and is considered one of the best bad movies ever made) but rather than being a back-patting look at the fandom its more about the people involved and the creation of the film. It's actually directed by the actor who played the boy in the movie, and the man who played the father (who is now a dentist in Alabama) is the centerpiece of the movie and he's fantastic: everybody talks about what a great guy he is and you can just tell that he's loving the sudden unexplained fame he gets going to screenings of the movie. The rest of the cast are just as great, the director is an egomaniac who openly berates the actors and the woman who played the mom is depressingly delusional, talking about how her big break in acting is coming up even though she never leaves the house.

One thing I really loved was the way that it turned on the fandom of the movie. In the first half you have a lot of exuberant, often neckbearded kids singing the praises of the movie and treating the dad like a rockstar, but as time goes on he grows more and more disillusioned with them until by the end he's at a horror movie convention visibly recoiling at how gross the horror fans are ("I bet less than 5% of the people here floss regularly!") before packing up and leaving for good.

Overall it's a great character study and look at the phenomena, even if you haven't seen Troll 2.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Are there any good Holocaust documentaries available to watch for free online?
http://www.youtube.com/user/damoosebelly

Adama
May 28, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just finished watching Louis Theroux's piece on the West Baptist Church- is there a thread around here where these people are discussed? Do I need archives?

Cheeze Kuyeh
Jul 5, 2008

i am monocle
I checked the last few pages and the OP so sorry if this is a repost.

In 2001 this guy went onto the British version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. With a bit of luck and a helluva lot of cheating he 'won' the million, only to have his little plan broken down by pretty much all the production crew and a couple of members of the audience and he himself convicted of deception and booted out of the Army (once he spent a year and a half in jail of course).

Its a hugely entertaining documentary as you can really watch the whole thing unfold in excruciating detail. Eight parts 10 minutes each, first part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQoNWw0G2AY

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Cheeze Kuyeh posted:

I checked the last few pages and the OP so sorry if this is a repost.

In 2001 this guy went onto the British version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. With a bit of luck and a helluva lot of cheating he 'won' the million, only to have his little plan broken down by pretty much all the production crew and a couple of members of the audience and he himself convicted of deception and booted out of the Army (once he spent a year and a half in jail of course).

Its a hugely entertaining documentary as you can really watch the whole thing unfold in excruciating detail. Eight parts 10 minutes each, first part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQoNWw0G2AY

That dickhead, he became a Z-list Reality TV star after that and still made money.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The Art of the Steal

Holy poo poo this was awesome. I'm ashamed I never knew of the Barnes Collection. Basically this awesome guy, Dr. Barnes, collects a lot of modern and post-impressionist art just as it's happening. 181 Renoirs, 69 Cézannes, 59 Matisses, 46 Picassos and others. It's worth an untold amount of money. He never wanted it moved, loaned, or sold, but after his death Philadelphia had other things on its mind.

Available in HD. loving watch it. It's so good. I promise!

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
Couldn't find this on here so apologies if it is a repost.

Trouble in Amish Paradise

quote:

The Amish arrived in America 300 years ago and settled in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, today home to around 30 000 hardworking Amish whose lives revolve around their church, families and land. As well as a strictly plain dress code, they don’t use cars, electricity and eschew modern technology. This program follows two men who let us into their private world because although their Christian faith is strong they begin questioning the all-powerful bishops’ authority and rules. They are ultimately excommunicated for not following strict Amish law, but that’s not the end of the story.

I've always been fascinated with this tight knit community and although we really only see it through the eyes of two families there is a lot of information regarding their beliefs and how their lives are ruled by a council that stick to the old ways to such an extent that their bible is printed in German and not allowed to be read to each other in English.

The ending is a bit of a let down but I really enjoyed seeing the battle for knowledge that goes on in such an enclosed community.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Kon-Tiki
Stumbled across this last night on wikipedia and turns out the whole documentary is available on google video, albeit not amazing quality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGooopCTmpg

Crazy Norwegian motherfuckers decide to prove the theory that Polynesian people emigrated from South America thousands of years ago by building a traditional native-style balsawood raft and sailing that bitch for 101 days over 4000+ miles of open ocean.

They had no idea whether they would succeed or even survive and had no external support once they set out. They never saw another ship during their entire voyage.

edit: just found some colour footage not shown in the doc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBa3oE_-b_k

Some more Norwegians repeated the voyage in 2006 with a slightly more modern raft (Solar panels and navigation equipment) but the documentary about that has yet to be released.

Just Another Missing Kid
http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/missingkid/ 2 parts with update from 1995

This documentary retraces the search for Eric Wilson, a Canadian teenager who disappeared in Nebraska in 1978. It tells how his family worked tirelessly to find out what had happened. The film focuses on how little help the various police forces were and is an indictment of the apathy and bureaucracy of the legal system on both sides of the border.

This won the Oscar for Documentary Feature and pioneered the style of having interview subjects reinact their actions, creating contraversy over the content. The filmmaker later agreed that he shouldn't have used the technique but now it is widely used.

The Fifth Estate is an amazing documentary series from the CBC that has partnered with Frontline and the BBC for programs before. They have 35 seasons worth of stories, most with a Canadian connection. Unfortunatly, only select shows are available to watch anywhere on the net, and some are buried deep in the CBC website.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Local Group Bus posted:

Couldn't find this on here so apologies if it is a repost.

I've always been fascinated with this tight knit community and although we really only see it through the eyes of two families there is a lot of information regarding their beliefs and how their lives are ruled by a council that stick to the old ways to such an extent that their bible is printed in German and not allowed to be read to each other in English.

The ending is a bit of a let down but I really enjoyed seeing the battle for knowledge that goes on in such an enclosed community.

Yeah, the ending kind of sucked, but hey. The rest of it was pretty drat good. Good on those guys for following what THEY believe in.

Thank you for this, I enjoyed it immensely.

Wandering Idiot
Jul 22, 2003

by Ozma
Horatio's Drive: America's First Roadtrip

http://www.pbs.org/horatio/

quote:

In the spring of 1903, on a whim and a fifty-dollar bet, Dr. Horatio Nelson Jackson set off from San Francisco in a 20-horsepower Winton touring car hoping to become the first person to cross the United States in the new-fangled "horseless carriage." At the time there were only 150 miles of paved roads in the entire country, all of them within city limits. There were no gas stations and virtually no road maps as we know them today. Most people doubted that the automobile had much of a future. Jackson's trip would prove them wrong.

I've found next to nothing about it online, only a few quotes here and there, and the PBS link. It's available on instant queue on Netflix, haven't taken the time to find it otherwise. Basically, if you like cars and history, it's two hours of solid story telling.

jimjob
Apr 22, 2008
A lot of good stuff here. I'm a big fan of documentaries, particularly political and conspiracy theory types. Here are some of my favorites.

Basically anything by Alex Jones..

Dark Secrets: Inside Bohemian Grove Alex Jones
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-82095917705734983
Watch a very weird, very secret ritual where the world's elite gather in a guarded wooded area and take part in a Luciferian, Babylonian ceremony called the 'Cremation of Care' in which an alleged human dummy is sacrificed and burned in front of a giant stone owl statue of Moloch. The history behind this, the sorts of bigwigs and world leaders that attend, and then seeing what goes on there is all really odd and perverted.

Other Alex Jones docs have been great such as
Terrorstorm About shadow gov't in America turning the nation towards a police state,
and quite recently,
The Obama Deception Which is actually not his usual conspiracy documentary, but a very relevant film revealing the the President's false promises and Wall Street execs running the Obama Administration. This is actually the documentary you were hoping to see when you watched "Capitalism: A Love Story" by Michael Moore.. only way more facts and way less rednecks.. Granted that Alex Jones himself is a Texan.

Aside from Alex Jones, I've taken a very personal connection with the 51-part documentary:
The Arrivals by Noreagaaa and Achernahr
http://www.wakeupproject.com/VList.asp?Series=1
This is a deeply religious documentary which talks about corruption in the world, the coming of the Antichrist, Jesus, etc. mostly from a Muslim point of view, but not limited to it by any means. A very small number of facts are a little skewed towards the end of the doc but a simple YouTube video "The Arrivals and WUP Debunked" clarifies them effectively. This documentary is very crude, with some choppy video quality, some annoying audio (such as music playing too loud over commentary), and misspellings. Not to mention a lot of recycling clips. However, the doc does touch on some very important issues in today's society, reveal dark nature of some hidden symbolisms, and effectively stretch it's message in a way that keeps you watching and agreeing, even if you have to skip some monotonous parts. All-in-all it does have a lot of factual historical information and some seemingly incriminatory, devilish plots set in place by world governments old and new. I would say this is a must-see if you are a person in search of spirituality or faith.

On a side note: Sigourney Weaver wasn't too bad, but gently caress Oprah. Seriously, ugh.. :witch:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

jimjob posted:

A lot of good stuff here. I'm a big fan of documentaries, particularly political and conspiracy theory types. Here are some of my favorites.

Basically anything by Alex Jones..

These types of docos I often cite as a good example of how people mistakenly attribute the documentary form as being completely factual.

Alex Jones is no more than a far right conspiracy theorist.
And The Arrivals is utterly horrid and completely unimaginative drivel.
Both are poorly researched and twist facts to promote their weird agendas.

A documentary at it's core should be about documenting events as they happen in a style that uses dramatics to tell the story.
In some way it's an evolved form of moralistic storytelling.

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Local Group Bus posted:

Just watched this. What an amazing community. Even though the church tells them not to have anything to do with the ex-communicated, they still come at the end to help efram and his family out. It is interesting to see the opinions of people who grew up in a culture like that learn more about their religion and then their reactions to it.

Would highly recommend this to anyone with an interest in religion versus church.

bipolarbear
Jun 15, 2005

Droppin the Funk Bomb!
The Vice Guide To North Korea is really well done. The part where they make giant pixelated images out of 120,000 people flashing colored swatches in a stadium is so loving cool. That was a highdea I had liek a year ago, but I never imagined it on that scale because I thought it would be possible to do on that scale. Apparently totalitarian dictatorships know how to get poo poo done. Seriously though, gently caress North Korea.

o3o
Nov 29, 2002

1890 - 1918

Aculard posted:

Just watched this. What an amazing community. Even though the church tells them not to have anything to do with the ex-communicated, they still come at the end to help efram and his family out. It is interesting to see the opinions of people who grew up in a culture like that learn more about their religion and then their reactions to it.

Would highly recommend this to anyone with an interest in religion versus church.
Seconding this. Wonderful documentary.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
I'm waiting for Arctic Alchemy( http://www.arcticalchemy.com/ ) to come out. It's about the oldest preserved beer in the world and the search to find the abandoned ships that contain it in the North American Arctic by a group of beer collectors and documentary makers. Looks so badass as an avid beer drinker myself.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Adama posted:

Just finished watching Louis Theroux's piece on the West Baptist Church- is there a thread around here where these people are discussed? Do I need archives?

There was a thread a few weeks ago about them protesting comicon. Also their was another documentary by a British comedian who's name escapes me.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
There's a great documentary being hosted on Pitchfork right now called You Weren't There: A History of Chicago Punk, 1977-1984. It's interesting, everyone knows about the UK punk scene and how it got started, and how Hardcore came around in California, but Chicago, never having a big breakthrough mainstream act like The Sex Pistols or The Ramones continued to stay underground and got more and more out there and abrasive as it went on. Even if you're not a huge fan of the music I'd say its definitely worth checking out just to see how local scenes get started in general, and how these subcultures start to grow and cultivate.

pablo gbscobar fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 8, 2010

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I love those BBC docs, just finished the three episodes of BBC Chemistry: A Volatile History, it's about the history of how chemistry went from being the art of alchemists to the compilation of the periodic table and nuclear science. I thought it was a good show.

Ep1 1 part of 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZLnKqv94n0

Ep2 1 of 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogg5cyWxV-4

Ep3 1 of 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHL80A93lCA

BART IM PISS
Aug 4, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

jimjob posted:

The Obama Deception Which is actually not his usual conspiracy documentary, but a very relevant film revealing the the President's false promises and Wall Street execs running the Obama Administration. This is actually the documentary you were hoping to see when you watched "Capitalism: A Love Story" by Michael Moore.. only way more facts and way less rednecks.. Granted that Alex Jones himself is a Texan.

Ive watched most of his stuff, and Its a few realities tacked on as grounding points for heaping spoonfulls of total crap.
Its better to have not watched any of this, if politics and world issues concerns you, as this just leads you astray and castrates you from any respect.

Alex Jones is no better than Glen Beck, and they even shill similar gold bonds type crap on their shows...

Funny thing about The Obama Deception is how it was supposedly made by, as per the intro, the Loose Change kid (who's just as bad IMO), but every 15 minutes the film cuts, and Alex Jones pops up to flog his show and his lovely films.

Content:

Im posting this documentary as a Skinny Puppy fan, not as a fan of its content.

The Occult Experience
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7944695466357169426

"This film interviews many Occultists from various traditions including the founders of the Temple of Set Michael Aquino and Lillith Aquino, Margot Adler, Selena Fox, Alex Sanders, Janet and Stewart Farrar, Anton Levay and H. R. Giger."

Unsure if the doco was made by/narrated by Nevill Drury, but 4 years later he released a book almost identical in content.

The real gem is spotting so many industrial music sound samples, especially from Skinny Puppy's Rabies album era.

BART IM PISS fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 8, 2010

Double Happiness
Aug 4, 2010

Quit smoking reduces heart risk
Super High Me (2007)

All of my favourite docs have already been posted, may as well put this up.

This film borrows the format of the movie ''Super Size Me'' and replaces Mc.Donalds with Marijuana. Stoner/Comedian Doug Benson smokes weed all day every day for a month. He also explores stoner culture in the USA and Canada, including the debate on legalisation and the war on drugs. Benson also interviews Marc Emery, a notorious cannabis advocate in exile as the US government are looking to charge him with drug charges, the guy is insane.

Pretty good watch if you're looking for a easy viewing documentary, some of Benson's jokes feel out of place at times though.

Double Happiness fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 8, 2010

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
really enjoyed this one:

Rich Hall's 'The Dirty South'

from the bbc website:

Rich Hall sets his keen eye and acerbic wit on his homeland once again as he sifts truth from fiction in Hollywood's version of the southern states of the USA. Using specially shot interviews and featuring archive footage from classic movies such as Gone With The Wind, A Streetcar Named Desire and Deliverance, Rich discovers a South that is about so much more than just rednecks, racism and hillbillies.

preview: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t26zf

He made a similar one about westerns.

RollingBoBo
Aug 25, 2008

living that high life
anyone have any documentaries about graffiti or street art?

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I saw "The Life of Birds" mentioned earlier in the thread, but no link. BBC officially put it up on YouTube and I highly recommend it: http://www.youtube.com/show?p=S3vPSi1o5nM&pl=D4DAC6370C221A0D

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

RollingBoBo posted:

You could try "Exit Through The Gift Shop" but I haven't seen it so I can't really say it's exactly what you're looking for.

Slippy G
Jul 2, 2007

oh shit

RollingBoBo posted:

Style Wars is a pretty good place to start http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bixgM7sUVA&feature=fvw If you're interested in New York.

Kings Destroy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JoATdlNxAw Is a massive circle jerk around Cope2 but I guess It's still pretty interesting.

Bomb it Again not really my thing but it's still goes deeper than the pure throwup after throwup movies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ5fwhfrgx4

Infamy Pretty much the same as Bomb It http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUB7QveDdYM Interviews with artists etc.

Kings and toys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2REglKo8QXA Getting up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1doHR9sPeQ Not terrible but there's only so many times you wanna hear about how a guy started writing graffiti/how they feel about writing.

Inside Outside (trailer only: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vun217yVb5Y) Is another good one to watch, worldwide coverage of a lot of street artists, not just graffiti. It's probably out there somewhere but I couldn't get quickly looking through youtube/google video.

Graffiti Instincts Is just a bunch of French writers (all the sections are on youtube but here's my favorite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNsmE8NsLno) But they're drat good at what they do.

Unrelated question hope someone can track this down. I saw an hour long documentary a few months ago at a lecture, and it's on google video but I cant for the life of me remember the name, or accurately enough what it was about to find it again. Basically it was a small crew who'd gone to an island, which had been blockaded by an army, the island was filled with a bunch of old mines long abandoned, the people who lived there had basically used all this 30 year old stuff over and over and built a pretty cool town out of whatever they could salvage. It had a pretty stereotypical crazy leader and a bunch of armed guys running the show. They had some wild claims like being able to cure some major diseases with banana (the word banana was in the title I think)

I hope someone can find it because it was drat interesting. Also those Vice Travel Guide videos are :smith: as gently caress.

Slippy G fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 9, 2010

RollingBoBo
Aug 25, 2008

living that high life

Slippy G posted:

Style Wars is a pretty good place to start http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bixgM7sUVA&feature=fvw If you're interested in New York.

Kings Destroy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JoATdlNxAw Is a massive circle jerk around Cope2 but I guess It's still pretty interesting.

Bomb it Again not really my thing but it's still goes deeper than the pure throwup after throwup movies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ5fwhfrgx4

Infamy Pretty much the same as Bomb It http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUB7QveDdYM Interviews with artists etc.

Kings and toys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2REglKo8QXA Getting up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1doHR9sPeQ Not terrible but there's only so many times you wanna hear about how a guy started writing graffiti/how they feel about writing.

Inside Outside (trailer only: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vun217yVb5Y) Is another good one to watch, worldwide coverage of a lot of street artists, not just graffiti. It's probably out there somewhere but I couldn't get quickly looking through youtube/google video.

Graffiti Instincts Is just a bunch of French writers (all the sections are on youtube but here's my favorite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNsmE8NsLno) But they're drat good at what they do.

Unrelated question hope someone can track this down. I saw an hour long documentary a few months ago at a lecture, and it's on google video but I cant for the life of me remember the name, or accurately enough what it was about to find it again. Basically it was a small crew who'd gone to an island, which had been blockaded by an army, the island was filled with a bunch of old mines long abandoned, the people who lived there had basically used all this 30 year old stuff over and over and built a pretty cool town out of whatever they could salvage. It had a pretty stereotypical crazy leader and a bunch of armed guys running the show. They had some wild claims like being able to cure some major diseases with banana (the word banana was in the title I think)

I hope someone can find it because it was drat interesting. Also those Vice Travel Guide videos are :smith: as gently caress.

Thanks. Here's one about montreal writers : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yATiI1bXLz8 . I really liked it because it shows all the writers i see everyday in action but if you don't know them I don't know if it will be cool.

Talby
Nov 28, 2002
I was a Classical Studies major, and haven't done anything with it since graduating a year ago. Anyone have any good docs on Ancient Greece or Rome? My emphasis was on the Latin language so I'd really like something about Roman literature. I doubt there's anything much specifically on Satire, but that would be awesome. BBut really, anything on any aspect of Greek or Roman culture would be super sweet.

TenTonHammer
Oct 3, 2003
Davidian

:dukedog:
I did some searching around, but come up short on the kind of documentaries I'm looking for. I'd like to find more disaster/catastrophic documentaries, or more based around stuff like Three Mile Island, man made disasters, etc. I found a really old PBS Three Mile Island one that is a VHS rip, but other than that, I haven't really found much of anything on this genre. Any suggestions?

Also anything related to construction disasters would be great, since I do work in the Safety field and would be great to show to my company.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Tohokai posted:

You're thinking of another guy. I'm not the one who posted the documentary about AIDS. If I remember correctly, it was something about how AIDS was lab-created or something like that. For the record, I don't think such a thing.

My mistake then. :)

yitsel
May 13, 2005

Double Happiness posted:

Benson also interviews Marc Emery, a notorious cannabis advocate in exile as the US government are looking to charge him with drug charges, the guy is insane.

I really enjoyed this too, and you might be interested to know that Marc Emery was recently extradited to the US to face charges :(

Dassiell
Apr 3, 2009
Alone In The Wilderness

Guy lives in Alaskan wilderness for 15 years. It explains how he lived and did things, I really enjoyed it.

Wandering Idiot
Jul 22, 2003

by Ozma

TenTonHammer posted:

I did some searching around, but come up short on the kind of documentaries I'm looking for. I'd like to find more disaster/catastrophic documentaries, or more based around stuff like Three Mile Island, man made disasters, etc. I found a really old PBS Three Mile Island one that is a VHS rip, but other than that, I haven't really found much of anything on this genre. Any suggestions?

Also anything related to construction disasters would be great, since I do work in the Safety field and would be great to show to my company.

The History Channel has a shitload of engineering disaster specials, if you didn't realize that already. They usually run at random times, rarely when people are actually home to see it.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Dassiell posted:

Alone In The Wilderness

Guy lives in Alaskan wilderness for 15 years. It explains how he lived and did things, I really enjoyed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss
http://www.dickproenneke.com/

Having always been fascinated with Alaska, I looked this up, there's a lot of clips around the net which are utterly fascinating. I lack a lot of man skills and don't think I could build my own log cabin. I don't mind paying for something like this but there's no Australia option for the online order form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

mrfart posted:

really enjoyed this one:

Rich Hall's 'The Dirty South'

from the bbc website:

Rich Hall sets his keen eye and acerbic wit on his homeland once again as he sifts truth from fiction in Hollywood's version of the southern states of the USA. Using specially shot interviews and featuring archive footage from classic movies such as Gone With The Wind, A Streetcar Named Desire and Deliverance, Rich discovers a South that is about so much more than just rednecks, racism and hillbillies.

preview: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t26zf

He made a similar one about westerns.

I can vouch for this one. I caught it on TV a couple of weeks ago and he's got a really great no-nonsense approach to his analyses of the films he talks about. I'd highly recommend it for anyone to anyone interested in film studies, or just cinema in general.