Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

sbyers77 posted:

In the mean time we'll have to settle on a cheap inkjet, even just using factory ink cartridges. I'm probably going to go to Fry's tonight and pick up something that doesn't suck, so keep the suggestions coming.

Gonna quote a non-sucky inkjet:

CuddleChunks posted:

Epson Stylus Photo R200 is the printer I have and is a glorious machine for printing photos, printing on CD's, and generally being an awesome inkjet.

Highly recommended.

I've got a CIS for it that I'll be hooking up tonight. The original cartridges lasted about a year with printing lots of photos and some color text as well. It was lovely to print out my own photos and have them look as good as the ones from a store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

sbyers77 posted:

It's for real estate so it mostly line art, graphics and color text with the occasional image of a house - but just on plain paper. Not like photo-quality on glossy paper or anything like that. They aren't even really professional looking if you ask me, but it what she wants.

She's pretty much dismissed color lasers as too expensive and crummy prints, but you're right, it's pretty much exactly what she needs. Thanks for letting me know about the CIS. As you describe it I don't think it what we want then.

In the mean time we'll have to settle on a cheap inkjet, even just using factory ink cartridges. I'm probably going to go to Fry's tonight and pick up something that doesn't suck, so keep the suggestions coming.

Buy one of the small brother inkjet mfps. . . I have one of these at home, because honestly, I never loving print. . . my wife prints 5-10 3x5 cards a month of recipes, and when our roomate is here she burns through 30-100 pages a day printing poo poo for law school.

The beauty of them is, you can pick up a 16 pack of carts for them from amazon for around 10-12 bucks, and with the roomate, and going on a year, I still have 2x of each color and black cart.

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

Thanks for the suggestions guys. It turns out the main reason she was against color laser is that she says envelopes and heavy weight paper can get all wavy and lovely looking from the heat, which is why she wanted the inkjet.

Not to be a goon-in-a-well, but I ended up buying the printer I linked earlier, the Canon PIXMA IP4700, if not only because of the good reviews on newegg and elsewhere but also because I picked it up at Fry's for only $29.99. Can't beat that.

I tested the borderless 4x6 image printing with the photo paper it came with and I am super impressed so far.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Figured I'd follow up my questions on the previous page - we ended up getting (against my wishes) a Kodan ESP 5250 all-in-one jobby, and it's actually pretty good so far. Only complaint is no duplex, and a couple of feeding malfunctions on long runs (picking up two sheets instead of one) but hey it's a fairly cheap photo-oriented inkjet. Speaking of which the photo prints look great, it does borderless ones fine, normal quality is very good, and it comes with some Kodak photopaper samples. Perfect for my Dad.

edit: also it helped me discover why our home' Wifi network has been driving me insane for the past 5 years, with the machines not being able to see each other etc. - the BT Voyager router/modem we have came with the setting 'isolate wireless users' as default on. Biggest facepalm in history.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Does anyone have experience with photo ID printers? I may need to get one for work soon and there a large number of brands and models I've never heard of before.

I'd like to keep it under about $2000 and expect to print no more than about 5-10 cards per month.

shao kong
Nov 6, 2002
So Oki is a good brand? This seems pretty cheap for a duplex printer, and the lack of networking is moot if I plug it in via USB to my airport express, correct?

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=45769&vpn=62431101&manufacture=Oki&promoid=1021

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
Just popping in to show love for Brother in general. I've worked with a number of them and they're pretty solid machines, with some of the more reasonable consumable costs out there.

I just picked up a MFC 9010 (color laser multifunction) for an absolute steal when the Staples up the street wanted to get rid of their floor model that was never even hooked up for demo (<10 page count, 100% toner levels confirmed when I got it home) and it's impressed me quite a bit so far. Color isn't quite photo quality, but if you use the highest settings and glossy laser paper it's more than good enough for flyers/data sheets/brochures. Better than I was expecting for a relatively entry-level color laser.

I was actually looking to buy that model when I went in for $349 and it would have been well worth it, so $39.50 was just a huge loving bonus.

EvilPsych
Jul 19, 2004
Ask me about my 'LiveJournal' :rollseyes:
seconding the appreciation of the brother printers... I was a die-hard HP guy for years until a pair of hp color lasers wore out with zero chance of replacement parts (1500, and 3600n for those keeping track). Toner cost on these were not great (think $500+ for a complete changeout) so, when the 3600n died, we got a brother HL-4040CDN. We print on average 200-400 full color sheets a week and the only issue I've had with brother is that the toner itself can spill if you don't handle it appropriately.

on B&W - we had a Hp Laserjet 5p for years and year and year (still running) but we needed a new copier - cue Canon imageclass D860 - awesome little copier/laser printer, but it committed suicide last week(the fuser ingested a whole sheet of paper with zero hope of extraction). So We bought another Brother, this time the MFC-8890DW - pros - super fast printing, wireless networking means it can be anywhere in the office without need for a print server, and it replaces the old thermal transfer Fax machine we had that I HATED the brother will scan in individual pages and not fax until you are done.. no paper feed issues. Cons - copying is a tad on the slow side compared to the Canon.

Oh, another plus side for the brothers is that if you have older SODIMM laptop memory you can easily upgrade the printer's onboard memory pretty quickly.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
3rding the Brother love. I got a 2170W a few months back after my inkjet ran out of ink. I got tired of buying expensive ink. I got the 2170W for a killer deal ($89 shipped), and I love it. The sharpness is mind-boggling, and it's incredibly fast. Setup was easy, and updating the firmware is easy too. I don't care that I lost the ability to print in color, and I don't care that I no longer have a scanner/copier because I have a nice DSLR that I can use to take pictures of whatever document I need printed and just print that (I scan or copy something maybe 1 or 2 times a year).

:love: Brother :love:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
My boss has asked me to get some quotes on a colour laser printer for around US$2000-2500. I've looked online and got a list of 4 units from HP, Fuji Xerox and Dell with reviews and prices.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations of what to take a look at or avoid in this price range. It doesn't have to do anything crazy, just the normal duplexing, networked, A4/Letter, 500-sheet feeder blah blah blah.
I figure at this price point I'd get all that as standard, as well as 30+ ppm.

It won't be seeing massive workloads, and it should fit on a normal desk as opposed to being a wheeled behemoth.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006

Gromit posted:

My boss has asked me to get some quotes on a colour laser printer for around US$2000-2500. I've looked online and got a list of 4 units from HP, Fuji Xerox and Dell with reviews and prices.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations of what to take a look at or avoid in this price range. It doesn't have to do anything crazy, just the normal duplexing, networked, A4/Letter, 500-sheet feeder blah blah blah.
I figure at this price point I'd get all that as standard, as well as 30+ ppm.

It won't be seeing massive workloads, and it should fit on a normal desk as opposed to being a wheeled behemoth.

I've worked with a few Xeroxes in that range and they were pretty good. Personally I don't think HP gets good until a little higher end than that, but some people might feel differently.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Cavepimp posted:

I've worked with a few Xeroxes in that range and they were pretty good. Personally I don't think HP gets good until a little higher end than that, but some people might feel differently.

Just don't accidentally get a Xerox solid ink printer. We're finally moving away from those because... WTF is the point of a solid ink printer?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

FISHMANPET posted:

WTF is the point of a solid ink printer?

solid ink gives REALLY GOOD color reproduction with the print speeds of color lasers.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

FISHMANPET posted:

Just don't accidentally get a Xerox solid ink printer. We're finally moving away from those because... WTF is the point of a solid ink printer?

Keeps you in a job because no end user will ever figure out what a "wastebasket" is. . .

Which reminds me, I need to order another 3 of those monday.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

CrazyLittle posted:

solid ink gives REALLY GOOD color reproduction with the print speeds of color lasers.

Yeah, we had a solid ink xerox at my last job and it was pretty nice actually. Third-party ink wasn't too expensive, either.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
We've had too many problems with idiots shoving the wrong ink into the printer.

Sure, we're out of 8560 ink, but we've got plenty of 8400 ink, let's just shove it in!

And that was one of our top (student) workers.

It was terrible because he wouldn't make it fit by shaving the blocks down, he would just scrape them against the guides inside the printer, and all the shavings would fall into the printer. The printer that melts ink. I had to have someone help me get the bad ink out of that printer. "Hey Mike, could you help me steal lunch money from this printer? I need to flip it upside down and shake it."

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Wow, even amazon's jumped in the generic ink/toner game.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...&pf_rd_i=507846

Includes toner for the venerable brother TN-350 and TN-360!

For my model it's only a $5 discount between the OEM and amazon version, but if they discount their own version more I'd totally jump on that.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Feasting on the flesh of a recently killed zombie probably wasn't the smartest of moves

FISHMANPET posted:

The little workcentre we have has stood the test of time rather well.

Any recommendations on a HP P2035 vs a Brother HL-5340D, need to order one that will do about 25 pages or so a day. The HP 1320 failure rate just sucked.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think for higher volumes a Solid Ink makes sense, though for low volume printing it sounds like a pretty bad deal, especially considering electricity costs. Remember that this thing is keeping itself hot enough 24/7 to keep a liquid pool of wax chilling around, that isn't cheap.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

SmellsOfFriendship posted:

Anyone know what Brother support is like?

Really good. Had a motherboard die in one of ours and they sent an engineer out with a new part the next day - he called 1 hour before showing up to make sure someone was there.

Easiest repair i've ever had.

We only buy brother printers now across 3 sites, up to about 45 2150/70 work horses, 15 530DW's for mobile laptop trollys and 6 4040cn's for colour - we've only had one which needed to be replaced as explained above and the rest came with a free 3 year warranty upgrade (or cashback).

AcridWhistle posted:

The little workcentre we have has stood the test of time rather well.

Any recommendations on a HP P2035 vs a Brother HL-5340D, need to order one that will do about 25 pages or so a day. The HP 1320 failure rate just sucked.

Brother all the way, purely for support + drivers.

Honey Im Homme fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 2, 2010

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

gently caress Double

Octal
Jan 30, 2003

It is haram to draw images of mythical beasts even if it never existed in reality

Hey, on another note anyone know where to even start looking for a professional printer for photos? I'm looking for a friend and I joked with them showing them a 1500 printer and to my surprise they went 'that looks reasonable' so I think money is actually no object here.

Edit: Upon talking some more his range is a bit more reasonable it's in the 500-1500 range. I'd say 1500 isn't a ceiling though. Just as long as we're not talking like $2,100 or $3000 for a printer.

Octal fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 3, 2010

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Epson r3800 series, I think it's R3880 now, seem to be very well regarded by photographers and they're around $1200.

Octal
Jan 30, 2003

It is haram to draw images of mythical beasts even if it never existed in reality

powderific posted:

The Epson r3800 series, I think it's R3880 now, seem to be very well regarded by photographers and they're around $1200.

Does it have refillable cartrdiges?

Edit: I talked to him again and it seems he actually is more around $500 and was apparently screwing with me when I showed him that 1200 printer last night. If the R3880 is refillable though that might be a good consideration.

He also looked at the Cannon Pro 9000, is that any good?

Octal fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 3, 2010

The Jizzer
Mar 19, 2003

...a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.
I need a new workgroup color / BW printer.

Right now we have 2 Brother 52xx printers (5240 and 5240DN) but the toner doesn't last all that long, print quality is mediocre, and we will be printing some letterhead and one-sheet brochures so I need color.

My candidates so far:

1) Dell 5130cdn ($1100 after discounts). Pros: fast as gently caress. Enormous toner cartridges, low cost per page. Cons: Expensive, huge, relatively unproven track record in business printer market. May be overkill.

2) Xerox Phaser 8560. Pros: Cheap to purchase and refill (Costco). Purportedly good quality. Cons: Power off = entire batch of wax wasted. Aftermarket waxes are iffy.

I'm not looking for anything photo-quality, I really would just like reliability, compatibility, and low usage costs. Any suggestions?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

The Jizzer posted:

I need a new workgroup color / BW printer.

Right now we have 2 Brother 52xx printers (5240 and 5240DN) but the toner doesn't last all that long, print quality is mediocre, and we will be printing some letterhead and one-sheet brochures so I need color.

My candidates so far:

1) Dell 5130cdn ($1100 after discounts). Pros: fast as gently caress. Enormous toner cartridges, low cost per page. Cons: Expensive, huge, relatively unproven track record in business printer market. May be overkill.

2) Xerox Phaser 8560. Pros: Cheap to purchase and refill (Costco). Purportedly good quality. Cons: Power off = entire batch of wax wasted. Aftermarket waxes are iffy.

I'm not looking for anything photo-quality, I really would just like reliability, compatibility, and low usage costs. Any suggestions?

We have an 8560. Somebody needed to print nametags,and for whatever reason they couldn't print the names and the nametags at once. So she printed the tags in color on the 8560 (just a colored border) then fed that sheet through the laser printer to print the names.

:supaburn:

I think a solid ink is good for a high usage, but otherwise your spending a lot of energy keeping that wax hot. The ink blocks also seem expensive to me (a full order of 3 of each color and 6 black is $370). Three blocks nets you 3400 pages apparently, so you're looking at 2.7 cents per page pure color, half that for pure black, or 2.1 cents per page overall assuming you use twice as much black as color (which sounds about right in our experience.)

And those numbers will vary based on your actual cost of ink. We've got a pretty good deal I think.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Large format printer time!

I'm looking to replace our ailing HP DesignJet 650C (with a speedy 10Mb JetDirect card!). I imagine it was discontinued a couple hundred years ago. It takes about 10 minutes to print a D size page and if we don't print anything for a few days there's a good chance one of the inks will have dried up.

We have a bunch of Canon copiers and workgroup printers serviced by a local company here so they were my first port of call. They have a Canon imagePROGRAF iPF610 which I would happily get but am open to recommendations of other/better devices.

We mostly print technical drawings from SolidWorks, sometimes AutoCAD, sometimes circuit board schematics. Needs to be able to print to D size paper or to a 24 inch roll.

Any recommendations?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Why not get another designjet?

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

Well, that's why I posted - are the new HP 24" models any good? The one we have (I know it's old), and most HP-branded devices I've touched in the last decade are awful so I tend to steer clear.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

How are the HP P2035 printers? Apparently this is what my boss wants to get to replace the aging HP 1022 printers we have. I've already been told "no" to the Brother & Samsung lines.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

How are the HP P2035 printers? Apparently this is what my boss wants to get to replace the aging HP 1022 printers we have. I've already been told "no" to the Brother & Samsung lines.

Based on your previous thread I'd say forget it and just get what your boss wants. "Nobody ever got fired for buying [Microsoft/Intel/Cisco/HP]"

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

ozmunkeh posted:

Well, that's why I posted - are the new HP 24" models any good? The one we have (I know it's old), and most HP-branded devices I've touched in the last decade are awful so I tend to steer clear.

The DesignJets have always managed to stay above the fray in my experience. The last ones I worked with were 1055C's and they were just as bulletproof as the 650's, 750/755's etc. Obviously stay away from the pro-sumer crap, but the current crop of main-line plotters seem to be cut from the same cloth as the old ones.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 4, 2010

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

Thanks but that's a little out of my price range at the moment. The Canon I was looking at is a smidgen under $2500. A couple years ago someone here insisted we buy them a Designjet 90r. It's a complete piece of poo poo and sits on their desk unused. I looked at the Designjet 510 but got the impression it was nothing more than a 90r on a stand.

Crazak P
Apr 11, 2003

PUNISHER > SPIDERMAN
Where do you guys read your printer reviews? I'm trying to find standard printers for my company. One printer for personal use, one for workgroup use, one for tabloid sized printing. I'll probably need to find a color one, and a large format graphics one some day as well.

Currently we have HPs, no problems with them, and haven't had much luck with the Xeroxs we've had. I'd like to see what else is out there.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Although I got the wonderful HL-2170W for myself, I retardedly purchased the HL-2140 for my mother. I figured I'd save a bit (it was like 33% cheaper) since she lives alone and wouldn't have to mess with sharing it or anything.

She's now tied down via USB, so my cunning plan of replacing her old Desktop system with a newer Laptop so she can have some wireless computing freedom won't work, as she prints crap every day, and would have to stay tied down to the printer.

I could buy a USB print hub to get the HL-2140 on the network, but those seem to cost almost as much as the printer, and it would lose printer functionality like being able to view toner levels and such.

Network printing is an amazing thing, I don't want to mess with printers that lack it any more. I really should have purchased her an HL-2170W as well. :/

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Crazak P posted:

Where do you guys read your printer reviews? I'm trying to find standard printers for my company. One printer for personal use, one for workgroup use, one for tabloid sized printing. I'll probably need to find a color one, and a large format graphics one some day as well.

Currently we have HPs, no problems with them, and haven't had much luck with the Xeroxs we've had. I'd like to see what else is out there.

Honestly, right here in SH/SC are the best reviews I've seen. Standard reviews are never going to include all the details you want to know. In a pinch, I've looked at CNET reviews and they aren't terrible.

The best way to pick a standard printer is to narrow it down to a few candidates and get one of each. There's just no substitute for using it yourself, and if you're going to be stuck with a bunch of them for a few years then it's definitely worth it.

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.

Xenomorph posted:

Although I got the wonderful HL-2170W for myself, I retardedly purchased the HL-2140 for my mother. I figured I'd save a bit (it was like 33% cheaper) since she lives alone and wouldn't have to mess with sharing it or anything.

She's now tied down via USB, so my cunning plan of replacing her old Desktop system with a newer Laptop so she can have some wireless computing freedom won't work, as she prints crap every day, and would have to stay tied down to the printer.

I could buy a USB print hub to get the HL-2140 on the network, but those seem to cost almost as much as the printer, and it would lose printer functionality like being able to view toner levels and such.

Network printing is an amazing thing, I don't want to mess with printers that lack it any more. I really should have purchased her an HL-2170W as well. :/

Replace her router with an ASUS WL-520GU and flash it with the Tomato firmware with modded USB support. It works pretty well and is fairly easy to configure.

By the way, for future reference, Office Depot around here has the HL-2170W on sale for less than $100 almost every 2-3 weeks. If anyone is considering buying one of these, check the weekly ads on their site for your area.

diehlr fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 12, 2010

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
Anyone have a recommendation for a small, travel printer? I've been tasked with making "travel kits" for a group of salesmen, and they want small printers to go along with their netbooks and cell cards. Haven't had much luck with them in the past, but I haven't looked in awhile.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

diehlr posted:

Replace her router with an ASUS WL-520GU and flash it with the Tomato firmware with modded USB support. It works pretty well and is fairly easy to configure.

By the way, for future reference, Office Depot around here has the HL-2170W on sale for less than $100 almost every 2-3 weeks. If anyone is considering buying one of these, check the weekly ads on their site for your area.

I actually bought my 2170W on Office Depot's website, and it was $90 with free shipping. It's the best printer I've ever owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

bimmian posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a small, travel printer? I've been tasked with making "travel kits" for a group of salesmen, and they want small printers to go along with their netbooks and cell cards. Haven't had much luck with them in the past, but I haven't looked in awhile.

I looked into doing this about 2 years ago and there was very little to choose from, with hardly any reviews. I think there were 2 models from Canon and that's all I could find. I ended up setting up a fax printer so the users could print to whatever fax machine was nearby.

• Locked thread