Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Horrorca posted:

psychedelic quality to them

I really like Muukalainen Puhuu by Oranssi Pazuzu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

ultraviolence123 posted:

Dude, you're completely out of your mind. Moonblood is excellent black metal of the highest quality.

I can't figure out if you're being sarcastic or not.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

MrBling posted:

I can't figure out if you're being sarcastic or not.

Me neither. I think Moonblood are pretty good, but the delivery of his post is ALL WRONG.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Just something I thought I'd share since a while ago someone was saying they can't make out screamed lyrics...

I was playing through a couple Old Man's Child albums, and I got stuck on the song "Doommaker". Found it catchy, somehow, threw it on the iPod, listened to it way to much. I looked up the lyrics, so I knew what he was saying. Then, one night, all hopped up on energy drinks, I changed a line in my head.

The night calls
as the evening light fades
cast your shadow
and cover this earth
bury the surface
and possess the nights dark
come forth und smell my FARTS!

Now I laugh every time I listen to it. :(

bjobjoli
Feb 21, 2006
Wrasslin'

Horrorca posted:

I was hoping you could recommend me some original new black metal albums, especially if they have a very layered and psychedelic quality to them (like Furze’s UTD or Leviathan’s ToH and unlike Nachtmystium’s Assassins).

In addition to catbread's recommendations, try the album Ást, by Skagos.

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

HELLO, YES, THIS IS BUBBLE BATHORY. LOOKS LIKE WE'VE GOT A BADASS OVER HERE WHO CAN'T STOP POSTING ABOUT HOW MUCH HE LOVES MEMES.

THAT'S THE JOKE.
Just checked out Kroda on the recommendation of someone on the previous page; I am a fan of Drudkh et al like the person who made the request.
WHOA! Really good poo poo.
They have a track called Cry To Me River. I picture an eastern european man botching the phrase "cry me a river" a la Borat.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Bubble Bathory posted:

They have a track called Cry To Me River. I picture an eastern european man botching the phrase "cry me a river" a la Borat.

Now I'm picturing Borat singing black metal.

Thanks, thread. Thanks a lot.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Bubble Bathory posted:

Just checked out Kroda on the recommendation of someone on the previous page; I am a fan of Drudkh et al like the person who made the request.
WHOA! Really good poo poo.
Their first two albums are terrific and the split's okay but I was really let down by Fimbulvinter. It just didn't have the character that Towards the Firmaments Verge of Life had, it just ran together too much. The Branikald cover was the best song on the album as I recall.

Giudecca
May 14, 2006

i'm so glad i'm better than you are.
The only Kroda I have is "Fimbulvinter" and hell yes it is very very good! Nice find

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
I really do encourage you to find and listen to Abyssmal Sorrow from Australia. Brilliant stuff and the recording quality is awesome. And about the least likely place you would think to find any sort of decent black metal.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

I'm really enjoying Caina now, it took me a while to just sit down give him a good uninterrupted listen, but I'm really glad I did.

Are there any new notable albums coming out soon or have come out recently? I've really been starved for new black metal.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Are there any new notable albums coming out soon or have come out recently? I've really been starved for new black metal.

Recent releases that I've been enjoying include SIG:AR:TYR - Godsaga (not 100% black metal, think blackened viking era Bathory), Csejthe - Transcendance (slow and doomy), Truppensturm - Salute to the Iron Emperors (barbaric German black metal, done in the style of Blasphemy) and Sunwheel - Industry of Death (Polish symphonic black metal). Also check out Folkvang's latest, Atmospheric Black, if you haven't already. That record was easily one of the best of '09.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, lots of atmospheric black metal albums coming out this year.

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn
Anyone else have the new Nachtmystium yet? It's loving great.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Caucasus Belli posted:

I've listened to it a few times now and can safely say it's pretty drat good. I think it's better than their last album for sure.

corpserot
Sep 29, 2009

Caucasus Belli posted:

Yeah, love it. Got this shirt yesterday in fact, with artwork by Erik Danielsson (Watain). Missed out on the White Powder/White Power :(

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Caucasus Belli posted:

It's definitely in my top 10 metal albums for the year. It felt a lot more coherent than Assassins, and more experimental - I mean, if you cleaned up Nightfall's distortion and changed the lyrics/vocal delivery a bit, you'd have the feel-good-hit-of-the-summer!

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
It apppears that TRIPTYKON is going to tour the US this fall. The initial dates are...

Oct. 07 - Middle East - Cambridge, MA
Oct. 08 - Gramercy Theatre - New York, NY
Oct. 15 - Majestic Theatre - Detroit, MI
Oct. 16 - Bottom Lounge - Chicago, IL
Oct. 17 - Station 4 - St. Paul, MN
Oct. 24 - El Rey Theatre - Los Angeles, CA
Oct. 29 - Emo's - Austin, TX

The tour will be with 1349 and YAKUZA in tow.

Hail SATAN!!! :black101:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Fuuuck and it's nowhere near NC

Oh well we get Destroyer 666 and Enthroned soon :rock:

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

QPZIL posted:

Fuuuck and it's nowhere near NC

Not yet!

While I'd like to see Destroyer 666, I'm holding out for this and the Watain / Behemoth tour in November.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Watain / Behemoth

Behemoth said they were coming back when they played at Volume 11 last, so here's hoping :kiddo:

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

It apppears that TRIPTYKON is going to tour the US this fall. The initial dates are...

Oct. 15 - Majestic Theatre - Detroit, MI

ack, this is the same day American Carnage hits Michigan as well. Buuuuttt, this is down the street from me, as opposed to across the state. Thanks for the heads up!

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Hey black metal thread, Dispirit, John Gossard's (Weakling) new band has a demo out and it is rad. It takes the amazing dissonant guitar work from Asunder into uncharted territory.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis
Bergthron - Verborgen in den tiefen der Wälder is awesome, its 30 minute long track from like 1997.

I am so behind on my black metal.

ruinedhero
Jun 6, 2010

We are only serving our Gods
Just picked up Borknagar's 2000 (and IMO best) album Quintessence on Vinyl

This album is easily one of the best black metal albums I've ever listened to. Nearly all the tracks stand out on their own. Rivalry of Phantoms, Presence is Ominous, Colossus, Genesis Torn, and Revolt being huge stand out tracks. The production sounds great on Vinyl, which is welcomed since the CD version released ten years ago was very bass less and tinny sounding.

Borknagar have a pretty big catalog, but this album stands out as a very well crafted Black Metal album that is very easy for regular Metal fans to get into due to the great melodies and mostly understandable distorted/clean vocals.

If you never heard the album or heard it years ago, I would really recommend picking up the vinyl copy - though the liner notes have mistakes all over for some reason with missing track names and other things omitted.

Also - Cornholio I think the new Borknagar is ok. I've heard the CD all the way through twice (not on vinyl sadly as it is over $50 for the loving album for some reason) and it's ok, probably next to Empire or Olden Domain as a good Borknagar album.

ruinedhero fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 2, 2010

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Not yet!

While I'd like to see Destroyer 666, I'm holding out for this and the Watain / Behemoth tour in November.

D666 hasn't toured the US much in the past and if they do it seems like it's a 2 or 3 big city only tour. Behemoth and Watain you can see at least once a year, sometimes twice for Behemoth.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
I just got Behemoth's "And the Forests Dream Eternally," and "Grom."

If you don't like Behemoth as a death metal band, try these two albums out for Behemoth as a black metal band.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

ruinedhero posted:

This album is easily one of the best black metal albums I've ever listened to. Nearly all the tracks stand out on their own. Rivalry of Phantoms, Presence is Ominous, Colossus, Genesis Torn, and Revolt being huge stand out tracks. The production sounds great on Vinyl, which is welcomed since the CD version released ten years ago was very bass less and tinny sounding.

Good choice. I really like 'Epic', though it does sound a bit too polished at times.

Another has succumbed to the evil ways of the Borkendales. :black101:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Haggins posted:

Behemoth and Watain you can see at least once a year, sometimes twice for Behemoth.

Way to jinx things for us :mad:

brewmeister
Sep 23, 2008
I chose the username "brewmeister". That tells you all you need to know about me.
I just watched Immortal's Seventh Date of Blashyrkh DVD. That poo poo was amazing.

Also, I saw Enthroned and Destroyer 666 last night. Was a pretty good show. Destroyer took almost an hour setting up and Enthroned did not start playing until 1 AM. A lot of people left because it was too late I guess. Out of the 150 or so people there, only about 30 stayed for Enthroned. Kinda sucks for them. They deserve to play in front of a much larger crowd.

brewmeister fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 12, 2010

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

brewmeister posted:

I just watched Immortal's Seventh Date of Blashyrkh DVD. That poo poo was amazing.

Really disappointing Pure Holocaust and/or Frozen by Icewinds aren't on it :(

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

brewmeister posted:

It really is loving amazing. The drums sound absolutely killer and really bump the intensity up like 1000%.

I love how he taped over Dave Mustaines' name on his guitar. Hilarious.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 14, 2010

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

Not Very Metal posted:

I just got Behemoth's "And the Forests Dream Eternally," and "Grom."

If you don't like Behemoth as a death metal band, try these two albums out for Behemoth as a black metal band.

Go further back and check out Sventevith storming near the baltic. That's Behemoth at their best.

corpserot
Sep 29, 2009

brewmeister posted:

Also, I saw Enthroned and Destroyer 666 last night. Was a pretty good show. Destroyer took almost an hour setting up and Enthroned did not start playing until 1 AM. A lot of people left because it was too late I guess. Out of the 150 or so people there, only about 30 stayed for Enthroned. Kinda sucks for them. They deserve to play in front of a much larger crowd.

Yeah, just got back from Ramona... there where maybe like 20 people there (including dudes from the other bands in the crowd) by the time Enthroned got on. Was sad and embarrassing. I give Enthroned credit though, they kicked rear end. D666 was great as always, just wish there where more people.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Mordekai posted:

Go further back and check out Sventevith storming near the baltic. That's Behemoth at their best.

That's pretty much the only Behemoth I recognise. I can't stand their death metal schtick.

I managed to buy a "Grom" t-shirt on the cheap just to piss off all the kvlt-kiddies in their "Demigod" hoodies.

I dunno if it's been mentioned earlier in this thread, but I discovered Hinsidig this week. It's possibly one of the more modern BM bands I've heard out of Norway recently and they have a definite tinge of what's going on in America right now in their sound (which I love). There's also a pretty decent (old school) Dimmu Borgir cover on their full length.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Mordekai posted:

I went ahead and ordered it, should be here on Wednesday.

I don't mind Behemoth's death metal stuff, but I'm not a big death metal fan in general. I realize it's terribly over-produced and probably pretty generic or uninspired as far as DM goes, but I still still like the band's riffing and Nergal's vocals. That said, I still like their early BM better.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

I'm not much into death metal either; I can stand some death metal from former black metal bands (i.e. Behemoth, Dissection)--but I much prefer the black metal years of all those bands. Behemoth's early poo poo is great.

quote:

I managed to buy a "Grom" t-shirt on the cheap just to piss off all the kvlt-kiddies in their "Demigod" hoodies.

That's great, but I will say one thing in their defense: at least a Demigod hoodie is from an actual metal band. I'm tired of going to shows here in Michigan and seeing people wearing Dethklok shirts or hoodies.

ruinedhero
Jun 6, 2010

corpserot posted:

Yeah, just got back from Ramona... there where maybe like 20 people there (including dudes from the other bands in the crowd) by the time Enthroned got on. Was sad and embarrassing. I give Enthroned credit though, they kicked rear end. D666 was great as always, just wish there where more people.

The truth, sucky truth, is that I've seen about half a dozen black/death metal shows around here and the most the crowd ever gets to is 25-30 people (including the other bands). A guy I knew spent about 6 months trying to get a black metal band going but said it was an impossible battle to get a show anywhere besides very nich little clubs. I saw Liturgy (pitchfork approved black metal, couldn't believe it) and they had about 20 people there.

Black metal is an amazing form of musical art that just can't latch onto any audience besides its core demographic. There isn't anything "wrong" with this in a sense that most fans of the genre do so because of their intellect and understanding of the art that masses see as "guys in paint screaming" where the fans see the true beauty of it.

Behemoth is one of the very few Black Metal bands to reach full success, and this was after over a decade of work and tailoring their style to represent a more modern metal tone on Evangelion - saw them live at mayhem fest last year and they were loving amazing. It felt good to see a black metal band being watched by thousands of people, but Behemoth is probably a one in a million to get full success from black metal.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

ruinedhero posted:

Behemoth is one of the very few Black Metal bands to reach full success, and this was after over a decade of work and tailoring their style to represent a more modern metal tone on Evangelion

Not to mention, you know, not really sounding like black metal anymore. If they didn't dress up on stage and hadn't released a few black metal albums early in their career they'd be thought of as death metal with a few black metal elements at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruinedhero
Jun 6, 2010

Tony Jowns posted:

Not to mention, you know, not really sounding like black metal anymore. If they didn't dress up on stage and hadn't released a few black metal albums early in their career they'd be thought of as death metal with a few black metal elements at most.

Yea, I don't blame them truthfully. How long can you stick with a format that has such a glass ceiling for any chance of success. I am glad that people who would have never listened to black metal were able to see them at the mayhem tour.