Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I think it also had to do with his girl friend at the time - Lara Flynn Boyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

Well, you know, given Cooper's current state, I think a "romantic entanglement" with Audrey is only a matter of time, if you know what I mean.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I read that David Lynch absolutely hated the idea of Cooper ditching his suit and trench coat and wearing flannel. It was a move Mark Frost did when Lynch left during the middle of Season 2, but by the end of the season when Lynch was more involved, he had Cooper back in his familiar clothes (which I greatly preferred as well).

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I just finished the movie. I enjoyed it, even if the tone was completely different from the series. I'm surprised it was released to theaters, being that it hardly makes sense even if you've seen the show.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Cromulent posted:

I just finished the movie. I enjoyed it, even if the tone was completely different from the series. I'm surprised it was released to theaters, being that it hardly makes sense even if you've seen the show.

Well, the first portion with Chris Isaak and Jack Bauer sort of makes sense by itself, in its own way. I actually adore that section, it's one of my favorite things Lynch ever did with Twin Peaks, and I can't perfectly articulate why. Deer Meadow is like the mirror universe version of Twin Peaks (the town itself, that is). The Sheriff and his deputies are assholes, the lady who runs the diner is an ugly hag, that sort of thing. And it's just filled with this odd tension and humor, I love it.

I've heard Lynch originally wanted to make 3 different films. One about the Teresa Banks investigation, one about Laura Palmer's last days (which comprises most of FWWM), and one that takes place after the end of series. I think he sort of did himself a disservice by smashing together the first two and ignoring the third, because what we got, while very good on its own terms, simply does not function as what everyone was hoping for in a "Twin Peaks Film". And that really gives it a bad reputation, the fact that it was largely unintelligible if you hadn't seen the show and ultimately unsatisfying if you had.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
So is it worth watching all of season 2? I kind of got bored with it some episodes in, probably not even half-way. I definitely saw the killer reveal but is there anything really awesome at the end of the series worth watching for?

Spiky Ooze fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 1, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Spiky Ooze posted:

So is it worth watching all of season 2? I kind of got bored with it some episodes in, probably not even half-way. I definitely saw the killer reveal but is there anything really awesome at the end of the series worth watching for?

YES. The middle of season 2, after the killer reveal, is universally reviled for good reason, but stick it out. The last episode and a half, I would say, are mind-blowing.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

If you slog through the latter half of season 2 then the final episode is really rewarding, while also being a kick in the balls with all the cliffhangers. There's still some fairly entertaining stuff in season 2 once the reveal is out of the way :

Ben Horne thinks he's fighting in the civil war
Nadine goes to high school/joins the wrestling team
Cooper dorking about in flannel and hanging out with Major Briggs.

Its not season 1 good, and it tries way too hard to be off-the-wall and wacky just because thats what they think the audience wanted (loving pine weasel) but it does have its moments. And as silly as the Windome Earl thing was, Kenneth Welsh hamming it up is really fun.

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

I think the last 3 episodes are top notch, not just the last one

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I actually really like the Windom Earle plotline, especially with the character development it gives to Cooper. But literally every single side story after the Laura's Killer reveal is horrible. Little Nicky? Who's the father? Nadine? James? Audrey and jet boy? Pure garbage.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Spiky Ooze posted:

Yes. As mentioned, there is a huge dip after the season 2 reveal, but the series recovered by the end.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

regulargonzalez posted:

Little Nicky? Who's the father? Nadine? James? Audrey and jet boy? Pure garbage.

Urgh I forgot about Little Nicky. The whole Billy Zane thing is horribly out of place as well, and Audrey's line near the end of the arc "Wait!....I'm a virgin!" was hilariously bad.

I enjoyed the Windom Earle plot, it just feels a bit too much compared to the first season. It also goes a bit too far, for me, in the way it delves into the Black/White Lodges. It takes Lynch's return in the finale and then the way he uses the Black Lodge in the movie to bring back the original feeling of terrifying weirdness the place had initially.

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

And don't forget the later part of season 2 has David Duchovny in drag! So, if nothing else, at least there's that.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

aniero posted:

And don't forget the later part of season 2 has David Duchovny in drag! So, if nothing else, at least there's that.

This was years before (I don't know why we're spoiling this but whatever) The X-Files, so I'd wager that David Duchovny put a little bit of Dale Cooper into his portrayal of Mulder. It seems like he said as much in an interview or something, although I could've just made that up. It's pretty likely though, since Cooper inspired a lot of similar eccentric characters.

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

Cooper basically WAS the first "eccentric genius" on TV, wasn't he? Well, not the first, but he made it popular?

Also, the movie is recommended right? You watch it after the series to tie things up?

Alberto Basalm fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 2, 2010

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Alberto Basalm posted:

Cooper basically WAS the first "eccentric genius" on TV, wasn't he? Well, not the first, but he made it popular?

Also, the movie is recommended right? You watch it after the series to tie things up?

I do recommend it but I would not say it wraps it up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Alberto Basalm posted:

Ever hear of a guy named MacGuyver?

Also, I love the movie, but it's a very, very different tone from the show.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Ever hear of a guy named MacGuyver?

Also, I love the movie, but it's a very, very different tone from the show.

Genius, yes, but I'd say that apart from having hundred of friends in either high places of power or deadly danger, Angus wasn't really eccentric. I believe that this man, however, had both the eccentric and the genius points nailed.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

If I had to pick someone, I'd say Columbo was the first eccentric genius on TV.

EDIT: Also, something I've been wondering. What was the deal with Laura's glasses? In the diner scene, Maddie has them on and suddenly starts talking a lot more seductively, and breaks her giant eyeglasses. Then Donna puts them on, also starts acting weird and starts smoking. But then nothing else becomes of it. It's almost as if they were gonna use them as some sort of plot device where they project Laura's personality on whoever wears them, but nothing ever became of it.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 2, 2010

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Alberto Basalm posted:

Recommended, yes. Tie things up, no.

Cromulent posted:

EDIT: Also, something I've been wondering. What was the deal with Laura's glasses? In the diner scene, Maddie has them on and suddenly starts talking a lot more seductively, and breaks her giant eyeglasses. Then Donna puts them on, also starts acting weird and starts smoking. But then nothing else becomes of it. It's almost as if they were gonna use them as some sort of plot device where they project Laura's personality on whoever wears them, but nothing ever became of it.

In The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer (I think) Laura mentions something about her clothes or her stuff being important to her or part of her. Somewhere its suggested that when other people come into contact with her things, especially wearing her clothes, they start to take on some aspects of her personality. Either its some very vague supernatural thing or its them filling a hole that Laura has left.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Crackerman posted:

Recommended, yes. Tie things up, no.

In The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer (I think) Laura mentions something about her clothes or her stuff being important to her or part of her. Somewhere its suggested that when other people come into contact with her things, especially wearing her clothes, they start to take on some aspects of her personality. Either its some very vague supernatural thing or its them filling a hole that Laura has left.
This comes up in the movie too, when Laura freaks out on Donna in the club because Donna's wearing Laura's sweater and acting very out of character.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Posting again to quote Dale Cooper:

quote:

All things considered, being shot is not as bad as I always thought it might be. As long as you can keep the fear from your mind. I guess you could say that about most anything in life. It's not so bad as long as you can keep the fear from your mind.
I repeat that last part to myself every once in a while, and I finally remembered tonight that I got it from Twin Peaks. It's quite a comforting thought, so thank you for teaching me that, Coop. :tipshat:

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
I still don't really understand why Josie shot Cooper at the end of season 1

octothorpopus
Jan 22, 2010

JUST KEEP PLAYING!!!
Twin Peaks was pretty drat cool. I was really looking into watching all of David Lynch's works, and I came across it through those means. I watched it all in the course of a few weeks. It can tend to be a tad cheesy in a '90s kind of way, but I still really like it. I watched FWWM, but found myself mostly making fun of it because I was with a friend and we got bored. I'd say it was pretty good, but obviously there's some parts that are less than likeable. I find it too fascinating that it's a sequel and prequel simultaneously.

Also, totally claiming The Log Lady as my favorite character ever.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Palmtree Panic posted:

I still don't really understand why Josie shot Cooper at the end of season 1

She was afraid that during the course of his investigation that he'd find out that she "killed" her husband, etc. etc..

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

aniero posted:

That blew my mind more than most of the things in the series.

Also I watched the last couple episodes and I didn't really get much out of it. I mean I get where the story went but the tone has all been spent by then and the goofiness that's comic relief in the first season seems to have taken over. Windham Earle I especially hated since he's all camp and incapable of scaring me. But I do love the first season, and even a little bit of the second. It's a shame the production seemed so dogged by problems.

Spiky Ooze fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 11, 2010

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I really like the super powered Nadine part :( It was silly and absurd but that highlighted to me how absurd it was that Ed and Norma were behaving like children the whole time. But otherwise the Season 2 subplots are pretty awful. Literally every scene with James after he decides to leave Twin Peaks to clear his head and get involves with the ugly blonde woman with the small pointy teeth is skippable and you will not miss a single thing. It's straight up bad television.

Mad props to the 'Just You and I' song for being so offensively awful, followed by one of the scariest moments television programming has ever offered.

octothorpopus
Jan 22, 2010

JUST KEEP PLAYING!!!

President Anime 2008 posted:

Mad props to the 'Just You and I' song for being so offensively awful, followed by one of the scariest moments television programming has ever offered.

Ugh, THIS. That song was terrible and went on just too long without a lot of progression.

Anyone know what was up with the alteration on James' voice? He sounds like a woman in it.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

octothorpopus posted:

Ugh, THIS. That song was terrible and went on just too long without a lot of progression.

Anyone know what was up with the alteration on James' voice? He sounds like a woman in it.
I figured that was tongue-in-cheek because it's clearly not that guy singing.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Unfortunately, all the YouTube clips of that song seem to be lacking the half minute after the song where Maddy storms out and we get an eye-gougingly horrendous moment of James screaming "WHYYYY??" to no one in particular.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I don't really care for the latter half of season two either, but David Lynch's role is worth it. Everything is funnier when you shout it.

BUT BREAKFAST IS ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 11, 2010

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Cromulent posted:

I figured that was tongue-in-cheek because it's clearly not that guy singing.

I have a feeling that it was actually him. He released an album a few years ago.

I only ever heard samples, but goddamn was it terrible.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

octothorpopus posted:

You've obviously never heard an actual song from the 50s then.

octothorpopus
Jan 22, 2010

JUST KEEP PLAYING!!!

Doctor Zero posted:

You've obviously never heard an actual song from the 50s then.

No, I haven't, because I didn't even know the name of the song until just now.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

octothorpopus posted:

No, I haven't, because I didn't even know the name of the song until just now.

:eng101: It was very common for male singers to sing in really high voices.

Automatic Jack
Aug 6, 2010
I've been watching the show for the first time over the last few weeks and just finished the last episode about ten minutes ago. *****MILD SPOILERS**** as I ruminate on what I have just witnessed, though I've tried to use tags where possible.

I'm taking a break from picking the shattered remains of my skull off the floor to post this. It probably won't have a whole lot of new content; after all, people have been processing this show for twenty years, and I've been putting it off since I tried and failed to get into it in high school via DVD rentals at the library. My first impression of the ending, knowing in advance that it was pretty divisive, was that it strongly reminded me of both endings of Neon Genesis Evangelion in terms of people's reactions to it. Actually, with that in mind, TP comes off as borderline straight-forward compared to a show that ran out of money and descended into demented pseudo-psychoanalytical imagery on the first go round and then... well... did it again with better animation and more religious subtext the second time.

In any case, one could probably draw parallels with the idea that both David Lynch and Hideaki Anno were simply flipping a massive bird at their collective audiences, but I liked the ending to both shows. Knowing that there wasn't going to be another chance to continue with more episodes, I prefer that TP went out the way it did rather than try to cram something more conclusive in; at least the people most likely to be able to help Cooper escape the Black Lodge are still alive, namely Briggs, Truman, the Log Lady, possibly Andy- and if Catherine's guardian angel can save her from a burning mill, maybe the same thing will happen to at least one of the trio caught in the bank explosion? Which by the way was basically on par with a Roadrunner cartoon in terms of execution. I personally thought it was hilarious.

So yeah, in terms of being a custodian of the characters he helped to create, I can see how people might think Lynch didn't do his job properly. But there was just something oddly fitting about they way it played out, even the down-beat non-resolution of some of the subplots... It reminded me of the oft quoted Yeat's poem, The Second Coming:

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the center cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

I'd say that sums up what happened to Cooper and the rest of Twin Peaks pretty well. At the time of the series, right up to the finale, Twin Peaks is the entire world, and this is how the world ends. Not with a whimper, but a really effed-up bang against a mirror that pissed people off and alienated others, satisfying almost nobody completely. I'd at least give Lynch points for audacity, if nothing else, even though I thought it worked for the circumstances the production was under.

I suppose one could take the fate of the puzzle box Eckhart left to the Martells as being symbolic for how the show was resolved: Instead of opening it properly, taking time to solve the problem, they instead just smashed each one open as they come to it. Their reward? Dynamite to the face. Which is also similar to what Cooper gets when he rushes in and starts bargaining his soul with shady entities without properly considering his actions. It all comes full circle...

As for what Laura says in the last ep to Cooper about seeing him again in 25 years: I thought this was a reference to the first time he had the Red Room dream and was an old man in season 1. Which would make sense considering time, and everyone's actions and speech, seem to flow backwards while in the Lodge. And anyone who's seen Lynch's other films knows that playing with time and space is natural as breathing to him.

Regarding the series as a whole...

There was an understandable blip between the Laura Palmer and Windom Earle/Black Lodge stuff in season 2, but nothing I couldn't handle. When you get fluff such as this, lay your head on it and take a little nap until the gears start turning again, although the subplot with James and the adulteress was admittedly a little more padded than I needed at that point. Nobody likes filler but at least it wasn't offensively bad, and I didn't mind seeing Cooper in flannel. IF YOU COULDN'T HANDLE GORDON COLE'S VOICE, STAY AWAY FROM A PRAYER FOR OWEN MEANY. Against all reason, I liked Ben's Civil War fixation and Nadine's superpower/teenager phase, because hell why not; the Nadine stuff smacked a little of magical realism in that nobody seemed to think it was that weird, which I enjoyed. Josie had a lot of potential; she encapsulated so many of the themes of the show, her ambiguity, her dual or even triple lives, her ability to adapt to any situation being both a blessing and a curse- but she was a little too reactionary and her subplots dragged without being very revelatory. As for Hank, whom everyone seems to have forgotten about by the end of the series, I imagine that, in his usual fashion, he'll pop up somewhere, having slithered his way out of getting his just desserts yet again, and start his master plan to... lick more dominoes ominously while blackmailing widows out of their rightful inheritances, or whatever it is he does. I'm glad Bobby, Shelley, Andy and Lucy seem to be happy for now, and I personally think Pete was behind everything all along, including the explosion, because he is immortal and beyond even the power of the Lodges.

And the music was aaaamazing.

Well, that's all for now. I just needed to unload. By the way, Deadly Premonition was mentioned at least once in this thread. If you loved TP and own an Xbox360, you owe it to yourself to pick up this game. There seems to be a small wave of people going directly from one to the other, usually from the game to the show, because even though it's Japanese it's set in the same town that inspired TP (North Bend) and has the same plot of a coffee-obsessed FBI agent investigating a small town murder while being beset by vaguely defined supernatural forces. That's only a fraction of the similarities- the game even has its own Log Lady and creepy Red Room dream sequences, and it don't stop there by a long shot- but most people will tell you it's like some messed up TP-homage as filtered through Japanese eyes with a b-movie quality to the production values. HOWEVER. The FBI agent's personality is more like Albert Rosenfeld's, he actually uses his coffee for divination purposes, and he has a split personality named Zach with whom he shares (out loud) all his thoughts about the case, ihs favorite John Hughes movies, going to a Ramones concert as a teenager, wondering why there are so many hot woman in this small Pacific Northwestern community (ahem, Miss Twin Peaks), and whatever else comes to mind. It helps if you have a passing familiarity with video game conventions and especially what parts of the weirdness stem from it being a Japanese take on a very American setting, but there is definitely a crossover audience in the Venn diagram between Twin Peaks and Deadly Premonition.

Also, while I admired TP's ending in an intellectual sort of way, the game wraps up the way you wish the show had ended. Such fantastic stories; they will both remain side by side on my bookshelf forever. :allears:

AND NOW, TIME TO FIRE WALK WITH THE MOVIE...

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Were the commentary tracks on the older DVDs interesting at all, or do the special features in the gold box do a pretty good job of telling you the important behind-the-scenes info?

I liked how in the interviews on the bonus disc, many of the cast and crew had a David Lynch impression to do when they were talking about something he said.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

ElwoodCuse posted:

I liked how in the interviews on the bonus disc, many of the cast and crew had a David Lynch impression to do when they were talking about something he said.

This is slightly off-topic, and I don't remember where I saw it, but there's an interview with Naomi Watts about working on Mulholland Drive where she's talking about the scene where she had to furiously and aggressively masturbate while crying, and how hard it was for her to film. Anyway, she does this truly hilarious impression of David Lynch giving her direction during that scene which I'll never forget.

I have to think that pretty much every actor who works with him is compelled to do some sort of impression of his voice and general affectation, because it's so distinctive.

edit: Found the clip on youtube right here! If anyone is interested. It's an excerpt from Inside the Actor's Studio so it also features amusing awkwardness from James Lipton trying to talk about the scene. The conversation starts at about 4:15 in the clip and ends with her utterly hilarious Lynch impression. Beware that it contains huge spoilers for Mulholland Drive :ohdear:

kaworu fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 27, 2010

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

I picked up this print from Tim Doyle called "En Los Arboles"

It's really a stunning print and really sums up the show in every possible visual way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Jack
Aug 6, 2010
That interview was awesomely upsetting.

That poster is upsettingly awesome.

EDIT: There's COMMENTARY TRACKS on the older DVDs?!!

• Locked thread