Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Stacie posted:

Hey guys, we added a new coupon code 'goons' which will give you 50% off on any product we offer (except service extras) when selecting a monthly billing cycle.

Pretty much allows you to purchase a shell hosting or a web hosting package for under a buck.

Enjoy and let me know if you run into any problems.

http://www.amdwebhost.com

Went to sign up today (I think it's in the queue) - is that coupon dead now? I didn't get any confirmation (even to reject it) but the total rang up as normal.

I figured best not to tempt fate so decided to switch away from pre-paying for a few months to just one. Even at full price, I suppose I'd like to try out the service (been years since I had a shell account, bit o' nostalgia, really), but the coupon made it a no brainer. Sounds ridiculous to say given the dollar amounts we're talking about, but I'm trying and experimenting with a few different projects concurrently (some web, some not) so there's at least a psychological aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleksey
Nov 7, 2005

Fayk posted:

Went to sign up today (I think it's in the queue) - is that coupon dead now? I didn't get any confirmation (even to reject it) but the total rang up as normal.

I figured best not to tempt fate so decided to switch away from pre-paying for a few months to just one. Even at full price, I suppose I'd like to try out the service (been years since I had a shell account, bit o' nostalgia, really), but the coupon made it a no brainer. Sounds ridiculous to say given the dollar amounts we're talking about, but I'm trying and experimenting with a few different projects concurrently (some web, some not) so there's at least a psychological aspect.

I went ahead and activated you, sorry the weekends are a bit slow when it comes to processing orders.

The coupon only works on monthly basis, but I will go ahead and refund the difference.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Stacie posted:

I went ahead and activated you, sorry the weekends are a bit slow when it comes to processing orders.

The coupon only works on monthly basis, but I will go ahead and refund the difference.

Thanks, especially considering it being a weekend. My query about whether new accounts were resolved on the weekend was only really to make sure nothing had gone wrong.

I don't mind the monthly aspect, I was just not sure if it expired (being a month old) or something else broke. Thanks again for the awesome service.

Good first impression so far.

Aleksey
Nov 7, 2005

Fayk posted:

Thanks, especially considering it being a weekend. My query about whether new accounts were resolved on the weekend was only really to make sure nothing had gone wrong.

I don't mind the monthly aspect, I was just not sure if it expired (being a month old) or something else broke. Thanks again for the awesome service.

Good first impression so far.

:) Thank you. If anything is bugging you, please feel free to get in touch with me!

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Anybody here happen to have a coupon for Linode or Slicehost?

My current host is getting kinda choppy lately.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

drcru posted:

Anybody here happen to have a coupon for Linode or Slicehost?

My current host is getting kinda choppy lately.

No coupon, but Linode increased the RAM in all their packages a few days ago.

http://blog.linode.com/2010/06/16/linode-turns-7-big-ram-increase/

The numbers are very favorable compared to Slicehost now:

Linode
512MB/16GB/200GB/$19.95
1024MB/32GB/400GB/$39.95

Slicehost
256MB/10GB/150GB/$20
512MB/20GB/300GB/$38
1024MB/40GB/600GB/$70

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

I'm thinking about getting the 768MB plan on Linode. I usually have a 1024MB plan but I haven't been using more than 200MB lately. Does the extra RAM really help a lot?

Also I can't seem to find how much IPs and extra space/bandwidth cost on Linode...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

drcru posted:

I'm thinking about getting the 768MB plan on Linode. I usually have a 1024MB plan but I haven't been using more than 200MB lately. Does the extra RAM really help a lot?

Also I can't seem to find how much IPs and extra space/bandwidth cost on Linode...

After you create your account you can add them through the Linode Manager. IP's are a buck a piece.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

No coupon, but Linode increased the RAM in all their packages a few days ago.

Linode
512MB/16GB/200GB/$19.95
1024MB/32GB/400GB/$39.95

Linode looks and sounds pretty good (speaking as someone with nearly no experience in this realm, but just learning a bit recently out of curiosity) - especially with the recent changes.

As a hobbyist though, I wish they almost snuck a cheaper/budget plan in at the new bottom-end. There are cheaper VPS hosts, but they all just seem like such fly-by-night operations. I was thinking (short of the $5 shady ones) that rackspace cloud stuff sounded decent for the ~$11 range. Maybe my standards are mis-calibrated.

Stacie posted:

:) Thank you. If anything is bugging you, please feel free to get in touch with me!

What is the proper/best contact method? I had some feedback (nothing I need fixed for myself, but might save trouble down the road or smooth things over for new people) if it's useful.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Fayk posted:

As a hobbyist though, I wish they almost snuck a cheaper/budget plan in at the new bottom-end. There are cheaper VPS hosts, but they all just seem like such fly-by-night operations. I was thinking (short of the $5 shady ones) that rackspace cloud stuff sounded decent for the ~$11 range. Maybe my standards are mis-calibrated.
What are you using a VPS for?

The WHT VPS Offers forum is an easy way to find a cheap VPS and be able to easily check if they're fly-by-night; if their account is old they're probably not going to run off with your money. (Though they might still suck, lol Santrex)

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

What are you using a VPS for?

The WHT VPS Offers forum is an easy way to find a cheap VPS and be able to easily check if they're fly-by-night; if their account is old they're probably not going to run off with your money. (Though they might still suck, lol Santrex)

Nothing, yet.

For one of my little side projects that I thought a VPS'd be appropriate for I went with a shell account instead (it's not web-related at all). For the rest I'm just in the hunting-around and research phase, trying to bring myself up to speed.

I suspect my needs (assuming I get around to making anything) are pretty lightweight. Mostly ruby/python stuff with a pretty tiny bit of SQL usage. Hobby/self-teaching stuff. Some of it could be done on shared hosting I suppose -- I have a wiki and such I run for a small community on shared hosting.

I'll comb through WHT if I pick something that isn't widely used/vetted, then. Thanks.

Fayk fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 23, 2010

Aleksey
Nov 7, 2005

Fayk posted:

Linode looks and sounds pretty good (speaking as someone with nearly no experience in this realm, but just learning a bit recently out of curiosity) - especially with the recent changes.

What is the proper/best contact method? I had some feedback (nothing I need fixed for myself, but might save trouble down the road or smooth things over for new people) if it's useful.

stacie.w aaaaat amdwebhost.com.

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Thanks to the WHT vps deals forum, I got a new vps from 2host.
512 ram guarenteed, burstable to 1 gig
5 tb of bandwidth, on a gigabit line

On a i7 I think. Threw CentOS 5.5 on it, and I'm pretty drat happy for like 95 dollars for the year prepaid.

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

This Motherfucker is Dead
I like RapidXen

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

tinselt0wn posted:

Thanks to the WHT vps deals forum, I got a new vps from 2host.
512 ram guarenteed, burstable to 1 gig
5 tb of bandwidth, on a gigabit line

On a i7 I think. Threw CentOS 5.5 on it, and I'm pretty drat happy for like 95 dollars for the year prepaid.
This is insanely cheap compared to what I pay at linode -- ignoring server specs, you're paying $0.0015/GB. Are these low-end companies legit? (i.e., should I trust my sites to them?)

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

The Ron Jeremy of the coding world
They oversell, just like Dreamhost can give you 10000 TB.

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

R1CH posted:

They oversell, just like Dreamhost can give you 10000 TB.

Yup. No denying that. If I were to go anywhere near that I would probably start getting bitched at.

So far though I haven't had my resources squeezed out by either terrible QOS monitoring or heavy users on my box, so I'm pretty happy. I just need this as a quick dev box/proxy and something I can screw around without worry about destroying my install.

They also say their servers are located in dallas and seattle(?), but maybe thats only dedicated. My VPS is in nl, which is sorta shady.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Somethings totally funky with my host:

19:07:56 up 1 day, 52 min, 1 user, load average: 19.54, 12.67, 6.11
19:11:11 up 1 day, 55 min, 1 user, load average: 41.70, 22.72, 11.02
19:15:18 up 1 day, 59 min, 1 user, load average: 55.38, 43.12, 22.42

I can't even get a ps aux out.

edit: I pulled the trigger and bought a Linode 512.

How do you guys lay out your configurations?

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 23, 2010

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I've been looking for a decent shared host the past month and I've signed up with a few companies to test things out. Most recently I tried Bluehost, but I canceled within an hour after experiencing their piss poor management of add-on domains. They force you to put add-on domains within a subdirectory of your primary domain's public_html folder. The only way around it is with a mess of htaccess rules.

To top it off, when I wanted to cancel, they had me confirm the last four digits of my password, so you know they are storing it in plain text.

I've also tried dreamhost (I know, I know), and they seemed okay despite everyone's hatred of them.

I was previously with 1&1 but my site was always down, and when I asked them for help they said it was my ISP rather than their service. I switched hosts and the problems disappeared (hmm!)

I am currently with mediatemple, but they are incredibly slow and I don't need to be paying $20/mo for stuff I don't need.

My main concern is with add-on domains more than anything. I would like to configure their locations on the server so I can install stuff outside of the html directory easily (like zend framework) without having to mess with htaccess

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

The Ron Jeremy of the coding world
Welcome to every cPanel host.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

R1CH posted:

Welcome to every cPanel host.

Pretty much this. But having to reference the last 4 characters of your password is really way off par...

stephenm00
Jun 28, 2006
Fixed

stephenm00 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 21, 2017

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Can someone recommend a windows reseller provider? Host Dime is goon run, but are those prices as good as I'm going to be able to get? I only need ~2GB of space and ~20GB of transfer with no plan on expanding.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

atastypie posted:

Can someone recommend a windows reseller provider? Host Dime is goon run, but are those prices as good as I'm going to be able to get? I only need ~2GB of space and ~20GB of transfer with no plan on expanding.

I've been using Web.com for years for a few sites, they're always up. They're nothing big or complicated though.

http://www.web.com/hosting/windows.aspx

nooge
May 1, 2009

Because every channel I know has been a total failure, I come here to ask if Dreamhost just loving picked up and left?

No panel access, all servers I have are down, no way possible to contact support.

I'm going to loving kill someone.

Or switch to linode.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

nooge posted:

Because every channel I know has been a total failure, I come here to ask if Dreamhost just loving picked up and left?

No panel access, all servers I have are down, no way possible to contact support.

Or switch to linode.

I seem to be able to access their website.

This loads for me: https://panel.dreamhost.com/

edit: I'd switch to Linode either way lol.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

nooge posted:

Or switch to linode.

Doesn't seem like any problems, maybe there is a routing issue at your ISP

http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/

For future use, check out http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy
I'm looking for a shared (preferably) provider that supports .NET 4.0, MVC2 and SQL Server 2008 at least. I'd like if they offered SMTP but most of them should already. Anything else is gravy, but it would be nice to have some auto backup capabilities.

Any recommendations? So far I've been looking at Softsys, WinHost and DiscountASP.NET.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

nooge posted:

Or switch to linode.
don't switch to linode
find a host in the WHT VPS Offers forum and use one of those, pretty much guaranteed you can find one better for cheaper or the same price as Linode

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

optikalus posted:

AngryHosting

I just wanted to chime in to say that I just started an account with Angryhosting and got a domain through them as well. This is my first experience with webhosting and the setup was relatively painless. One thing that I would like to have seen is some sort of list of links on how to get started, especially since you are offering $1/month rate that would attract all sorts of inexperienced people.

It does what it says on the tin, I put up some html and it showed up when I pointed the browser at the domain. I haven't gotten into any of the software yet.

I have a question about domains, when I searched for a domain, the most desirable version was taken of course, but instead of just saying that it was unavailable, it said that it was 'backordered'? Does that mean that I can stake a claim on the domain when it comes up for renewal? I am thinking of taking advantage of that if that is true, the domain that I want is just a redirect at the moment.

Ok, something bizarre happened. I just went to whois.net to see when the domain that I want expires and it said that my url was available for purchase as though it wasn't in use! I checked the whois and it came up correctly, so I am pretty confused.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

DLCinferno posted:

I'm looking for a shared (preferably) provider that supports .NET 4.0, MVC2 and SQL Server 2008 at least. I'd like if they offered SMTP but most of them should already. Anything else is gravy, but it would be nice to have some auto backup capabilities.

Any recommendations? So far I've been looking at Softsys, WinHost and DiscountASP.NET.

I've been using Softsys for loving around projects for a while and haven't had any issues with it. The few times I've had to hit up support they've been very responsive.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

stizu posted:

I just wanted to chime in to say that I just started an account with Angryhosting and got a domain through them as well. This is my first experience with webhosting and the setup was relatively painless. One thing that I would like to have seen is some sort of list of links on how to get started, especially since you are offering $1/month rate that would attract all sorts of inexperienced people.

It does what it says on the tin, I put up some html and it showed up when I pointed the browser at the domain. I haven't gotten into any of the software yet.

I have a question about domains, when I searched for a domain, the most desirable version was taken of course, but instead of just saying that it was unavailable, it said that it was 'backordered'? Does that mean that I can stake a claim on the domain when it comes up for renewal? I am thinking of taking advantage of that if that is true, the domain that I want is just a redirect at the moment.

Ok, something bizarre happened. I just went to whois.net to see when the domain that I want expires and it said that my url was available for purchase as though it wasn't in use! I checked the whois and it came up correctly, so I am pretty confused.

The welcome email usually provides all the information most people need, but yes, I've been working on a new control panel for the last year or so and included with that is a in-depth help system.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

stizu posted:

Results are cached on most whois databases so it can take 4 to 48 hours before everything shows up properly.

As for backordering, you might be waiting forever if the person just renews the domain again. Backordering depends on the idea that the current owner will forget to renew.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

And you have to think about the majority of people have their domains set on "Auto-Renew" until they know they don't want it anymore.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
Does anyone have experience with Hostway? I can't rage about its horribleness enough. I started managing my company's website about a month ago, but since it was on (outdated) Wordpress, I didn't have to muck around on FTP or deal with the host until this week. I finished designing a new custom theme and organization system for the site and went to upgrade Wordpress to the current version...

All I got was 500 errors, PHP errors, my mangled Wordpress files telling me all the specs were insufficient, more errors even after restoring the older version. I couldn't do installation tests because I would have had to pay extra per additional MySQL database. I tell support the specs are insufficient and I am lied to. Then I learn that the 'database has insufficient permissions for running WP 3.0', it's passed to Tier 2 support. Then a few hours later the database gets wiped. Days later no response. I had an XML export backup though.

These guys can go gently caress themselves.

I showed the boss some of the universally bad reviews for Hostway, got the go ahead and got us some 5-star goon hosting. We do tons of research with lithium batteries so it's totally appropriate.

Oh, and for the sake of demonstration, I installed the same old version of Wordpress the site ran on the new Lithium hosting plan, and upgraded it... one click and it was flawless. Should have been soooo simple....

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
Okay so here's the deal: I'm starting at least one, if not a couple of blog networks based on Wordpress (using the 3.0 multiple blog system and domain mapping) with a few business partners. I'm looking for a host that has fast serving speed but isn't super costly. The hosting doesn't need to have a ton of bandwidth or space, speed is the important factor for now--slow sites are a sure fire way to kill any potential audience growth. Once we have a growing audience we'll reconsider our needs for scalability and possibly switch hosts at that time. As this is a new project(s), page views will be low for a while while we build up audience, so I'm open even to shared hosting. Cost per month shouldn't be higher than $10-15 and the hosting should include unlimited domain mapping, I don't want to pay extra per month per domain I own as there will be potentially multiple dozens of domains. A host that allows you to easily scale up your hosting would be great. Note that as this is a Wordpress project cpu utilization will likely be kind of on the high side, despite all our best intentions, as WP makes so many DB calls.

Should I be looking at VPS solutions or is there a shared host that can handle this, and which hosts are known to have very fast serving speeds? Is Amazon ec2 something I should be considering?

mcsuede fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 31, 2010

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Honestly, HostGator has never failed me, and I run a pretty large site.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

eightysixed posted:

Honestly, HostGator has never failed me, and I run a pretty large site.

They're definitely in the top of my initial research of shared hosts. Seem quite fast, great options. I'm sure they oversell like every shared host but oh well. I'm also thinking I could base the network on a shared host like HostGator and simply use cloud serving for media if the demand starts to spike before having to move to a full VPS solution.

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

mcsuede posted:

They're definitely in the top of my initial research of shared hosts. Seem quite fast, great options. I'm sure they oversell like every shared host but oh well. I'm also thinking I could base the network on a shared host like HostGator and simply use cloud serving for media if the demand starts to spike before having to move to a full VPS solution.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I see a lot of people do what you are doing and I think there are some things you need to re-think. You're worried about speed and future growth on a site that hasn't even launched yet. There's nothing wrong with doing a little planning ahead, but you're already talking about VPSs and cloud serving before the site is even up and drawing a regular audience. And then you're wanting to start out on a host spending a maximum of $15 a month.

If you're really sure that you need to be putting a lot of thought into expansion at this point, then you should just be starting out on a good VPS to begin with rather than a shared host. Otherwise, I think your focus is better spent on getting the site up and running and building up an audience, and you can worry about expansion later on when that time comes. It takes much more work getting regular readers than it does to move a Wordpress site to a new host.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

mcsuede posted:

You'd be surprised how low the load reads, and it's on a 16 core server, then again I'm on one of the reseller servers.