Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
This is more pie in the sky than anything, but how much can a miata tow? A friend just went down to the "dragon" and while I may go next year on my motorcycle, I know I'd love to do it in the miata as well. The perfect solution would obviously be towing the bike down with the miata.

Would a 4'x8' + motorcycle + storage box with random junk in it be too much?

'91 Miata and a BMW F650 (probably ~450lbs wet) are the vehicles in question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
I believe the NA manuals state 900lb as a max, but don't quote me on that.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You can't tow a bike with a Miata. Just towing tires can be sketchy with one.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Phone posted:

Odd. I haven't heard anything negative from the tire towers in my club.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You can do it with relatively no problem, but you're in a 2200lbs car towing a few hundred pounds worth of trailer, tires, and tools. Doing an actual bike would be sketchy as gently caress. Not to mention sweet 10mpgness.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Damnit. Well, I probably wasn't going to do it anyway, so there is that.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Phone posted:

You can do it with relatively no problem, but you're in a 2200lbs car towing a few hundred pounds worth of trailer, tires, and tools. Doing an actual bike would be sketchy as gently caress. Not to mention sweet 10mpgness.
Typical EE talk :v: there's no way you're going to get 10mpg. I'd say low 20's at worst.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
There's a goon in the cycle subforum that have done it in 2700lb Honda Civic hatches. It can't be THAT bad.

Can it?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think you are better off towing the miata with the motorcycle.

BatDan
Apr 30, 2003

dreesemonkey posted:

This is more pie in the sky than anything, but how much can a miata tow? A friend just went down to the "dragon" and while I may go next year on my motorcycle, I know I'd love to do it in the miata as well. The perfect solution would obviously be towing the bike down with the miata.

Would a 4'x8' + motorcycle + storage box with random junk in it be too much?

'91 Miata and a BMW F650 (probably ~450lbs wet) are the vehicles in question.

I once saw an NA Miata towing a motorcycle that appeared to be prepped for the track west of Cleveland. I don't have any idea how far he was going though. I bet it could be done.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

destructo posted:

Typical EE talk :v: there's no way you're going to get 10mpg. I'd say low 20's at worst.

But.. I get low 20s normally in my miata.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Ziploc posted:

There's a goon in the cycle subforum that have done it in 2700lb Honda Civic hatches. It can't be THAT bad.

Can it?

My dad tows his Hobie 16 (fiberglass sailboat...about 400 pounds plus the trailer) with my mom's Focus and it only weights 2600...

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Inspect your foot for traces of lead.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Tactical Bonnet posted:

I'm glad I'm not alone. :)

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

Tactical Bonnet posted:

If you're getting more then you aren't driving it properly.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Yes I know. :3:

Whenever people ask me about my mileage they always look so shocked and surprised. My boss was like "My F150 gets 22, how do you only get 20?!" I just laughed and told him it was because I have more fun driving my miata that he does his truck.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If you don't have a poo poo-eating grin at least once every time you're in your car (especially a Miata), you're doing something wrong.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I'm getting tray to replace the stereo in my 2006. I have the face plate adapter and wiring harness. To remove the old one, do I pry off the panels on the sides of the radio with a flat head screwdriver?

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.
My shifter bushing has obviously shat itself recently. Where is the best place to pick up a new one and what else should I pick up with it? Is it something I can get locally (for a price more reasonable than online + shipping)?

I'm thinking at least getting new rubber boots but I didn't know if there were other pieces I should consider replacing simultaneously.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Picked up a '94 today and loving it. There's a squeaky belt noise when I turn the AC on, but just at the moment when I push the button then goes away. The guy I bought it from only drove it in nice weather and didn't use AC i'm guessing, could not using AC to me using it cause that?

Aside from that it was pouring down rain on my way back home and having never driven rwd car experienced lift off oversteer for the first time :D

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 31, 2010

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

ChiliMac posted:

My shifter bushing has obviously shat itself recently. Where is the best place to pick up a new one and what else should I pick up with it? Is it something I can get locally (for a price more reasonable than online + shipping)?

I'm thinking at least getting new rubber boots but I didn't know if there were other pieces I should consider replacing simultaneously.

Quoting myself from a few pages back:

That's the full shifter rebuild kit, as far as I could tell. Disclaimer: haven't personally done this yet. Chance the parts may be incorrect.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

What is going on with your bumper texture btw?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Piano posted:

What is going on with your bumper texture btw?

The bumpers are plastic and are damaged by the sun much more quickly than the rest of the car. My bumpers look like that too, even faded to almost white in a few spots.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Phone posted:

respek

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

BusinessWallet posted:

When you look at the exhaust manifold, you can see the O2 sensor that I replaced in the picture below

I was rechecking my wiring when I noticed a second sensor, very close to the first one, and I'm not sure what it is. Any ideas?

Does anyone know any solution to getting rid of this P1135 code other than buying new O2 sensors every few months? And does anyone have any idea what that sensor is?

From what I've read, the second sensor is an O2 sensor as well, but it's not suppose to be there because my car is CA emissions and it has the first O2 sensor right on the exhaust manifold like the first picture?

I have a 99 as well. It has 2 cats and 2 sensors around the front cat. You've been replacing the front sensor, you should also replace the rear sensor as well. There is also the possibility that your front cat (aka pre-cat) is clogged. In that case you have 3 options, you can replace it, or get a 01+ manifold which doesn't have a cat and will give you more power or get a replacement header. If you do either of the latter 2 you will have to extend the o2 wires and put the front o2 where your rear one is now, and weld in a bung behind your 2nd cat for the rear o2 sensor.

I got a Raceland header from Ebay for $110 and lengthened the o2's and welded in a rear bung. The fitment was pretty terrible on the header and it took a couple days to get it installed, but what do you expect for $110. I had leaks and had to open up some holes. http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=320531

I did get a noticeable power bump though

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Phone posted:

Phone posted:

sry but I have disagree

I've been towing street motorcycles for years with my little 2200lb Scirocco. Two bieks at a time and it's even FWD. There is no problem with stablity on the freeway or in heavy winds, acceleration is fine, the only thing is braking needs a bit more care but you're towing poo poo so that's a given.

Plus you get the best looks driving down the freeway :D

I tow 400 miles at a time to the track and back.

The one caveat is that I welded up the hitch to my Scirocco. I got some massive class III hitch for an International off craigslist and basically replaced the rear bumper with it.

I haven't seen any off-the-shelf Miata hitches that I would trust because they all look flimsy going down and under the bumper. Maybe if you cut up the rear bumper cover and made a solid mount to the frame it would work.

poisoned pie
Jan 15, 2005

Can you feel the colors?
Been competing in a autocross series this year, currently coming 3rd in class after the weekends last race. Am considering moving to some semi slicks.

Thoughts on these? 225/50/15
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=307550895

seem cheap enough to be a decent improvement over the econo tires on it atm.

Is 225/50 likely to rub? Car is fairly low:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Is there a good tire site that will give us an idea of what is available? Hankook RS-3, Bridgestone RE-11, Dunlop Z1 Star Spec or Kuhmo XS are your top choices for autocross street tires. Although I'm not sure what you have available there.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

poisoned pie posted:

Been competing in a autocross series this year, currently coming 3rd in class after the weekends last race. Am considering moving to some semi slicks.

Thoughts on these? 225/50/15
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=307550895

Can't speak to those tires, but I was just at a track day yesterday and for the first time I ran these Nitto NT-01's 205/55-14's on my stock Miata 14's and they are awesome. http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireProductCategoryDetailStyl.do?tc=NITHZ8&typ=Competition

They are so much faster than my 16" Yokohama street tires it's insane, and they held up all day in 100 degree heat.

I'm always wary of used race tires because even if the tread is still good they can go off quickly with too many heat cycles.

edit: sorry I don't know if this applies to auto-x

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
225/50 is probably gonna rub, you can just use the miata.net tire calculator to figure out how much clearance you're going to lose.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

94 from a few posts up, it's so tiny compared to everything else I can't wait to park it to my step dad's avalanche. What do auto shops usually charge to do the timing belt/water pump/seals all at once? I'm debating if it's worth paying someone else to do it or just going to our friend's lift in his garage and taking a weekend to do it ourselves.

Edit: AC squeak went away.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 3, 2010

Mezmerized Machine
Dec 29, 2008

Russian Bear posted:

Edit: AC squeak went away.

After we changed the belts, my car did the same thing for awhile. It only got worse and worse until I couldn't have the AC on without a loud screech. Turns out we didn't have the belt on tight enough, and it just got more loose as I drove. Tightened it up and everything was 100% again.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Russian Bear posted:

What do auto shops usually charge to do the timing belt/water pump/seals all at once? I'm debating if it's worth paying someone else to do it or just going to our friend's lift in his garage and taking a weekend to do it ourselves.

It's not hard work at all, and the lift will be convenient a few times but the vast majority of the work is done from up top anyway.

I've seen quotes on the order of ~$1k for the whole job; you can do it yourself for about a fifth of that. It is a lot of work (I took two days to do mine) but it really is all easy work to do, nothing absurdly tedious or anything like that.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's not hard work at all, and the lift will be convenient a few times but the vast majority of the work is done from up top anyway.

I've seen quotes on the order of ~$1k for the whole job; you can do it yourself for about a fifth of that. It is a lot of work (I took two days to do mine) but it really is all easy work to do, nothing absurdly tedious or anything like that.

I was just reading up on miatanet about the whole ordeal and I guess the lining up of the timing belt sounded something that's really easy to gently caress up and it spooked me a bit. My friend with a lift is into cars(uhh he has a lift in his garage) but I don't know if he's worked on miatas before, but I think with his help we'll get it done. Where is the cheapest place to source all the OEM parts?

I also had a question about changing oil; I've seen some guys on miatanet use full synthetic in their cars and go for 10k intervals which seemed a little long, i would probably feel better with a 5k interval on synthetic since it's suppose to last longer and all that. Should I use synthetic oil and if so, is there a preferred brand?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Mobil 1 10w30 has been great to me. You can get all the parts (good ones too) off of ebay for ~$100 for the timing belt change. Should include timing belt, water pump, valve cover gasket, accessory belts and tensioners.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I've never personally done it but I heard a trick that involves cutting the old belt in the middle lengthwise all the way around, slipping off the front half, putting on the new belt half way, snipping off whats left of the old one and slipping the new one all the way on. Actually ends up being more work I'm sure but it sounds 100% idiot-proof.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Piano posted:

I've never personally done it but I heard a trick that involves cutting the old belt in the middle lengthwise all the way around, slipping off the front half, putting on the new belt half way, snipping off whats left of the old one and slipping the new one all the way on. Actually ends up being more work I'm sure but it sounds 100% idiot-proof.

Cool idea, but don't think that will work if you're doing the w/p too as it's behind everything

poisoned pie
Jan 15, 2005

Can you feel the colors?

destructo posted:

225/50 is probably gonna rub, you can just use the miata.net tire calculator to figure out how much clearance you're going to lose.

These are another option of mine:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=307732014

The reason I ask, is because auto-cross in NZ is a bit different from autocross in the USA. Over here, its closer to 'run what you brung and go hard'. This series has 6 rounds, and 3 classes (AWD, engine over drive, engine not over drive). Your placing in each round awards you points, and your total points places you in the series. Only 5 rounds count, as you have to drop your 'worst' round. It's nowhere near as spergy or technical as the way autocross comes across from the states.

Anyway, currently I'm placing 3rd, as the person who is doing slightly better than me did not run at the last event. So he can drop 0 points, but I will need to drop some points (my worst round). Because of wanting to hold my 3rd place, I'll need to step up my game to try and best him in the last two rounds.

I figured some used semis would be a good advantage over the road tires I use now, as there is only 2 rounds left and I don't want to spend $1000 on new semi slicks for just two rounds of auto-cross.

Some footage of my car from the last round here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTrP7aBz2GQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

poisoned pie posted:

Some footage of my car from the last round here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTrP7aBz2GQ

That looks like a lot of fun. I wish there was an autox track near me :(