Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Those backgrounds are fantastic but I almost made a record-scratching sound out loud when I got down to the character designs. I really, really hope they look better in motion.

I mean, Tartakovsky has earned my trust many times over, and I'd watch an episode of Teletubbies if it had his name on it, but right now I don't know what he's thinking.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

MadScientistWorking posted:

You know speaking of Duck Dodgers did you guys know that Tom Jones did a complete version of the song?

He did? Where?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

There will be no third season of Batman: The Brave and the Bold. Not really surprising since the show was treated like poo poo by Cartoon Network, but it's still disappointing. They did a good job of using the campy Batman instead of the dark, gritty Batman of the '90s animated series.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

haveblue posted:

Those backgrounds are fantastic but I almost made a record-scratching sound out loud when I got down to the character designs. I really, really hope they look better in motion.

I mean, Tartakovsky has earned my trust many times over, and I'd watch an episode of Teletubbies if it had his name on it, but right now I don't know what he's thinking.

Those character designs are basically inspired by really old school anime/manga. They have a real Tezuka/Ishinomori(Cyborg 009/Kamen Rider) look.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

muscles like this? posted:

Those character designs are basically inspired by really old school anime/manga. They have a real Tezuka/Ishinomori(Cyborg 009/Kamen Rider) look.

Ishinomori Superiority :c00l::hf::c00l:

That one kid has Ryoma Nagare Sideburns, I'm sold.

EDIT: Also, not sure if the IGN preview clip has been posted here yet. gently caress it, I am in.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

Also the teacher looks to be hilariously similar to one of my college professors, so I'm all for it.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Is it bad I quite enjoy the Total Drama series? The first series was so-so but it really kicked off. The animation is far from great, but it's fairly well written and entertaining.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

404GoonNotFound posted:

EDIT: Also, not sure if the IGN preview clip has been posted here yet. gently caress it, I am in.

Is it just me, or is the Titan animated in a different way and seemingly edited into the scenes? The design is awesome but the animation is...jarring?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Inspector_71 posted:

Is it just me, or is the Titan animated in a different way and seemingly edited into the scenes? The design is awesome but the animation is...jarring?

The Titan is a cel-shaded 3D model put in a 2D world. Same trick as the spaceships in Clone Wars.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.

Andrew_1985 posted:

Is it bad I quite enjoy the Total Drama series? The first series was so-so but it really kicked off. The animation is far from great, but it's fairly well written and entertaining.

I watched some of the first series with my nephew a few times and it was pretty hit and miss, but certainly it had some decent gags. It didn't seem bad enough to deserve the ire it gets in this thread, at least not from what I saw.

I also wanna find a way to check out Megas XLR thanks to this thread. I can't help but admit a running gag of destroying Jersey City really carries a lot of weight in my mind.

Was watching Ahhhh! Real Monsters(God, some of the under the radar stuff on that show: "I love you. I love you. I love you.") on Netflix last night, and was wondering if Krumm reminded anyone else of Seth Rogen to an almost startling degree.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 23, 2014

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Kipory posted:

I also wanna find a way to check out Megas XLR thanks to this thread. I can't help but admit a running gag of destroying Jersey City really carries a lot of weight in my mind.

Well I'll just warn you now, the dialogue gets to be very bad and repetitive after a few episodes.

edit: And I just watched that Titan preview and it looks fine, much better than a lot of the cgi that pops up in cartoons these days. To be honest I'm more worried about the dialogue. Samurai Jack had some woefully bad episodes dialogue-wise and this looks to be similarly atmospheric.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 27, 2010

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

kefkafloyd posted:

He did? Where?
Its on Youtube. I honestly don't know why they made a complete song but its actually really good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gtyGF4zKA8

quote:

Frozen in a time and space divide
But how would the universe survive?
For long they were out of luck,
But now they’re saved by the duck.

Duck Dodgers of the 24 and ½ century,
Defending the powerless and the weak.
Duck Dodgers of the 24 and ½ century,
The fighter of Martian tyranny.

Oh, but he’s the duck of persuasion.
All soon made decisions dissolve
A definite duck beyond all temptation
Ensuring the universe still revolves.

Space is such a lonely place
But it’s not lonely for this duck.
For hordes of Martians run
When he shoots his duckbilled laser gun.

Duck Dodgers of the 24 and ½ century
Protecting the powerless and the weak.
Duck Dodgers he’s fighting tyranny
In the 24 and ½ century

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 27, 2010

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
On a completely different note, why are almost all E/I programs so condescendingly sugary-sweet, they make your teeth hurt? Is the government worried that children won't learn if they're having too much fun? Some of these shows are so bad, I don't think I'd even let my hypothetical children watch them.

If the cartoon world were a playground, even Yug-i-oh and Johnny Test would be in the long line for administering swirlies to CBS' whole Saturday morning lineup.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

haveblue posted:

The Titan is a cel-shaded 3D model put in a 2D world. Same trick as the spaceships in Clone Wars.

Aside from scenes in Futurama when the ships are flying around without any characters, cel-shaded CGI is pretty much universally poo poo on TV cartoons for some reason. We watched an episode of Justice League in class a while back and a really, REALLY awful-looking and out of place chopper popped up and literally drew groans and laughter. Family Guy also has a hard-on for using it for literally every vehicle as well.

Honestly, the only time this technique was really pulled off well as far as I know was Iron Giant. A lot of people would probably never guess the giant was entirely CG unless you told them.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Tartarus Sauce posted:

On a completely different note, why are almost all E/I programs so condescendingly sugary-sweet, they make your teeth hurt? Is the government worried that children won't learn if they're having too much fun? Some of these shows are so bad, I don't think I'd even let my hypothetical children watch them.

If the cartoon world were a playground, even Yug-i-oh and Johnny Test would be in the long line for administering swirlies to CBS' whole Saturday morning lineup.

Networks (at least ones under the jurisdiction of the FCC, iirc) are legally required to air a certain amount of programming that qualifies as educational. I can only guess that they go out of their way to make it friendly and educational so the FCC doesn't go "Oh hey, this isn't teaching kids anything valuable and wholesome at all! Here's a fine!" Plus they probably have to be all flowery to get an E/I certification in the first place.

Crummers
Dec 30, 2008

Y-Hat posted:

There will be no third season of Batman: The Brave and the Bold. Not really surprising since the show was treated like poo poo by Cartoon Network, but it's still disappointing. They did a good job of using the campy Batman instead of the dark, gritty Batman of the '90s animated series.

gently caress :smith:

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Networks (at least ones under the jurisdiction of the FCC, iirc) are legally required to air a certain amount of programming that qualifies as educational. I can only guess that they go out of their way to make it friendly and educational so the FCC doesn't go "Oh hey, this isn't teaching kids anything valuable and wholesome at all! Here's a fine!" Plus they probably have to be all flowery to get an E/I certification in the first place.

Some networks seem to just slap the E/I descriptor on their entire Saturday morning lineup, such as ABC, whose lineup consists solely of reruns of horrible Disney Channel sitcoms and old Power Rangers episodes (at least until the license for the latter reverts back to Saban). I fail to see what, if any, educational value can be found in, say, The Suite Life of Zack and Cody, unless it's teaching children how not to write a sitcom, in which case ABC is doing a great public service.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

mobo85 posted:

I fail to see what, if any, educational value can be found in, say, The Suite Life of Zack and Cody, unless it's teaching children how not to write a sitcom, in which case ABC is doing a great public service.

Well, there's also the moral that Hooch is crazy.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Y-Hat posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I love this show! It's one of the only two shows I watch regularly. What... what is this madness? Why would this happen? Everyone I know loved it!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Behonkiss posted:

Honestly, the only time this technique was really pulled off well as far as I know was Iron Giant. A lot of people would probably never guess the giant was entirely CG unless you told them.

Probably because it was surrounded by fully animated characters running at the same 24 frames per second. You can't pull that off on TV, there the cels are going at half that rate or lower in most cases and it clashes with the perfectly smooth CG at the full 30.

I thought Clone Wars looked fantastic, though, and the ships were never jarring. Let's hope he keeps tweaking this show.

Numb Three Ers
Jul 7, 2007
What do you mean it's pronouced "numbers"?
I was going to do a big write up about all the good Canadian cartoons but after ReBoot and The Raccoons I couldn't find any more. Now I fell bad for my country.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Andrew_1985 posted:

Total Drama X is pretty awesome. The first season too, especially, is a straight up parody of Survivor with a dash of other lovely reality shows thrown in. If you actually like Survivor, it's great. Season 2 was I guess a take on Fear Factor and other such shows, which didn't work as well for me, but the characters and knowing the general premise of what the deal was worked. This current season being a parody of The Amazing Race + getting even more meta has been great. I love how they introduced a creepy fangirl obsessed with some minor character.

I know the show isn't for everyone and that the art direction really turns off a lot of people, but it's an excellent parody of reality tv.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

mobo85 posted:

I fail to see what, if any, educational value can be found in, say, The Suite Life of Zack and Cody, unless it's teaching children how not to write a sitcom, in which case ABC is doing a great public service.

Ha, snap.

But, while they seem to get away with doing that, I don't think they'd ever get away with trying to claim E/I status for Batman: The Animated Series or Animaniacs, even though I found them to be extremely educational on a number of levels, back in the day.

Any lesson about not being a total dickhole, or about learning to say "Look at the pretty narwhal" in conversational Norwegian apparently needs to be spelled out in enormous, flashing neon letters--and without any snark or violence, to boot.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Numb Three Ers posted:

I was going to do a big write up about all the good Canadian cartoons but after ReBoot and The Raccoons I couldn't find any more. Now I fell bad for my country.

ReBoot's good, but The Raccoons really isn't as good as you might remember it. I watched some of those specials a year or so ago remembering renting them as a kid and they were really terrible.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Y-Hat posted:

Just so everyone knows, there's conflicting info floating around. IGN were the first to report the news from the panel at SDCC, and they've also updated their article with, what we can hope, direct clarification from Cartoon Network. There WILL be a Season 3, but it will be a shortened 13 episode season. In other words, there's 13 episodes yet to be aired in season 2, then there will be a 13 episode season 3, for a full seasons worth of episodes left to be aired.

IGN's article, with updates, is here: http://tv.ign.com/articles/110/1108206p1.html

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Ha, snap.

But, while they seem to get away with doing that, I don't think they'd ever get away with trying to claim E/I status for Batman: The Animated Series or Animaniacs, even though I found them to be extremely educational on a number of levels, back in the day.

Any lesson about not being a total dickhole, or about learning to say "Look at the pretty narwhal" in conversational Norwegian apparently needs to be spelled out in enormous, flashing neon letters--and without any snark or violence, to boot.

There were a few E/I series that were good in the early days shortly after the FCC made E/I programming mandatory. Histeria! was pretty memorable as far as the line of Silver Age WB cartoons go. And The Weird Al Show was pretty good- although the show itself was fun, the best part of the DVD release are the commentaries where Al and the producers comment on how they were forced to shoehorn in a lesson in each episode and being astonished by what the censors would let them get away with vs. what they wouldn't (they once submitted a parody of a kids show where two puppets commit suicide as a joke submission, and the censors surpisingly okayed it).

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Granted, my only source is somebody's Facebook status, but if it's true, then Cartoon Network is going to get a lot of poo poo here.

Apparently, Flapjack got canned. So that means we've lost Chowder, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, and this. Basically, it's Cartoon Network being Cartoon Network.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Y-Hat posted:

Apparently, Flapjack got canned.

...What? Why? Is it costing too much to produce or something? Or do they just LOVE to take a giant dump on the few people foolish enough to have faith in CN?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Doesn't Adventure Time share a lot of creative staff people with Flapjack? Hopefully they'll all be able to keep making awesome cartoons if it's true.

I hope it's not true either way :ohdear:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Y-Hat posted:

Granted, my only source is somebody's Facebook status, but if it's true, then Cartoon Network is going to get a lot of poo poo here.

Apparently, Flapjack got canned. So that means we've lost Chowder, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, and this. Basically, it's Cartoon Network being Cartoon Network.

It seems like CN and Nick only do like 3 seasons of any show then can them for no reason. The only exceptions I can think of are those cash cow live action tween sitcom shows where they make the lead also do really lovely autotuned music.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Amorphous Blob posted:

...What? Why? Is it costing too much to produce or something? Or do they just LOVE to take a giant dump on the few people foolish enough to have faith in CN?
Most likely the former, though it could be both considering that Cartoon Network's been doing this since the '90s. One of the comments on the person's status said that if it's not a glorified flash animation from Canada or outsourced to Korea, then it's too expensive.

IRQ posted:

It seems like CN and Nick only do like 3 seasons of any show then can them for no reason. The only exceptions I can think of are those cash cow live action tween sitcom shows where they make the lead also do really lovely autotuned music.
Also Johnny Test, but I heard that's one of those "cheap and easy to make" cartoons so it gets a pass from CN.

Google News says nothing about its cancellation- or about the cartoon itself except for its nomination at the Emmys. Then again, we first knew about Chowder's cancellation from Greenblatt's blog.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jul 31, 2010

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 23, 2014

Episode
Mar 27, 2010
The whole 'Flapjack got canceled' rumor has been floating around since Chowder got canned. I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

IRQ posted:

That's mostly Disney and, to a certain degree Nick.

Nick doesn't do much in the way of animation anymore, but shows like Spongebob and Fairly Oddparents have gone on for years and, in the case of the former, are still truckin' along.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Episode posted:

The whole 'Flapjack got canceled' rumor has been floating around since Chowder got canned. I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

That's mostly Disney and, to a certain degree Nick.

Nick doesn't do much in the way of animation anymore, but shows like Spongebob and Fairly Oddparents have gone on for years and, in the case of the former, are still truckin' along.

Not really, Cartoon Network was much more into the 52 and done rule than Nick was for awhile almost no shows got past that fourth season without at least some form of major change being added.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Behonkiss posted:

ReBoot's good, but The Raccoons really isn't as good as you might remember it. I watched some of those specials a year or so ago remembering renting them as a kid and they were really terrible.

The "specials" you refer to were done sporadically throughout the 80s before Kevin Gillis got a go to actually make the show, which is also why the first 5-10 episodes of the regular series are kinda lackluster when compared to the later episodes. I mean, the animation changes from special to special and they are either really weird (The Lost Star just makes no loving sense outside of "introducing" Broo") or completely pointless (Let's Dance is just a clip show with music... completely pointless, but at least they didn't end the series with that poo poo).

Really, the only good special for The Raccoons was The Raccoons on Ice if only because Cedric was wearing an Islander's jersey and there was his hilarious exchange with Sophia
"Pop's threatened to throw me in the dungeon, and he also took away the CHOCOLATE PUDDING?!?!?!"

"Cedric, this is bigger than chocolate pudding"

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Episode posted:

There is a new Avatar series coming next year too.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Aces High posted:

I mean, the animation changes from special to special and they are either really weird (The Lost Star just makes no loving sense outside of "introducing" Broo")

Laziest exploration of the theory of the Multiverse, ever.

You'd have to take a poll, but I'm not even sure that whole premise made sense to children. TMNT always taught me that you'd need a dimensional portal or a time machine to make contact with your doppelganger or evil twin, while Looney Tunes and Alf made it clear that alien planets were home to alien beings. DUH, Nelvana!

While I tuned in now and then, I was never really into The Raccoons, I admit. Too wholesome and nice.

(This is off topic, but I just thought of how I never cared for David the Gnome as a kid, but I like it much better, now that I'm an adult.)

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
More on the Oddparent's thing:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/cartoon-culture/fairly-odd.html

Hmm? What's this about Yogi Be----aaagggh