Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
My biggest question over the Deadmau5 collapsing mid-performance fiasco is whether or not the music stopped when it happened.

VenomHowell posted:

But I heard from (I think) Their 'Essential Mix' on BBC Radio that they prerecord their shows for the most part and just do minor tweaking and effects live.

Yeah, this isn't mentioned at all in their mix. They use turntables and serato so it'd be pointless for them to just prerecord a set with that kind of software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

VenomHowell posted:

I said I liked it. I am not hating on Kaskade. Besides, I can have preferences without resorting to outright childish bashing. 'gently caress Deadmau5' and 'This music is poo poo' is a lot different from 'Hey, that's alright, but to me...' and following it up with a specific statement about my preferences.
Characterizing people who have different opinions than you as "hipsters" and ascribing bad faith reasons for musical preferences like "being obscure and pompous as gently caress" is childish bashing. I tend to be fairly hands-off on this stuff, but please don't act like you have some kind of moral high ground.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

het posted:

Characterizing people who have different opinions than you as "hipsters" and ascribing bad faith reasons for musical preferences like "being obscure and pompous as gently caress" is childish bashing. I tend to be fairly hands-off on this stuff, but please don't act like you have some kind of moral high ground.

Alright, fair enough. Perhaps I'm a bit defensive on the matter because the local music scene (punk and metal) I was into before electronic music was plagued with people's annoying habit of trying to one up people. Typically they'd bash people who liked some of the more popular or 'typical' bands and would hardly have a legitimate criticism when asked why they didn't like them.

I know I might sound like I'm backpedalling when I say this, but I certainly do not think it's impossible to hate on Deadmau5 or Tiesto. There are plenty of people who have legit criticisms and I welcome hearing it as it's conducive to discourse. But you're right, my comments don't exactly encourage the same either.

slackerish posted:

Yeah, this isn't mentioned at all in their mix. They use turntables and serato so it'd be pointless for them to just prerecord a set with that kind of software.

Alright, went back and listened to it. They said on The Essential Mix show: 'we don't really record live mixes that often because we're usually really drunk and we're afraid of what they'll sound like after'. My brain seemed to have dropped the word 'record' from that quote, so I took it to mean that they didn't do live mixing rather than they just didn't record it. Honest mistake.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Furnace posted:

That being said, deadmau5 collapsed in DC at 930 club and is currently hospitalized. No matter how much I hate on an artist, I'm not one to wish anything like this upon them...even with this rat.

Divorcing the persona from the person, I agree and hope he gets better.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

OniKun posted:

Yeah, he's playing the Catalyst. I've never been to DJ sets there, but I've heard bad things. The venue itself is awesome, but it's flooded to the brim with rolling prostitots. The age limit is 16+ and they sometimes don't really check ID for the DJ shows, so you end up with a lot of little kids walking around gnashing their jaws into oblivion.

The sound setup is awesome, though, and the other DJs supporting him are pretty good. I've heard John Beaver play before, and I enjoyed his show.

I hate the crowds in Santa cruz, but still. Its Benassi at the Catalyst. poo poo'll be super fun.

And about MSTRKRFT; JFK is usually better on the decks, but Al-P is still pretty good. That should be really fun.

Furnace
Mar 31, 2004

12 teams is where it's at, right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? YEAH! SOME THINGS YOU CAN'T UNSEE, BRO!
The current emergence in the scene in Kelowna can be attributed, literally, to my friend who moved there 3years ago to expand his promotion team that has been kicking rear end in Etown for nearly a decade, I poo poo you not. AL-P will be good and worth seeing. Connected shows (with flipside prod.) are usually worth seeing.

On another note, how the gently caress can you justify being an snobby rear end in a top hat when you live in loving NEWFOUNDLAND? that's just loving absurd.

Then again being a snob in Edmonton isn't that far off but man, when you're being picky at least being in Van or Toronto makes sense.

I like how hipster gets thrown around as a cussword when really, it's just newer way to describe people who like to be on the bleeding edge of emerging trends.

Pres
Dec 20, 2005

ever since I could remember I been poppin' mah collar
I've done a mix which is going to be my last one for a while, it incorporates all the genres i've been experimenting with since I started DJing. (Mostly Blog House)

http://soundcloud.com/rpresley/2010-demo-mix

Tracklisting:
Barretso - Midnight Walk
Volta Cab - We Are Martians
Yolanda Be Cool & D-Cup - We No Speak Americano (Moonchild Remix)
Fear of Tigers - Sirkka
Miami Horror - Sometimes (G.L.O.V.E.S. Remix)
Vitalic - Second Lives (Lifelike Remix)
Twelve Door Cinemia Club - What You Know (Cassian Remix)
Fake Blood - I think I like It (Tommie Sunshine & Figure EC$TACY edit)
Daft Punk - Aerodynamic
Daft Punk - Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger (Beatbot Remix)
Mustard Pimp & Hot Pink Delorean - Rock
Refused - New Noize (The Bloody Beetroots Remix)
Beastie Boys - Sabotage (Alex Metrix Remix)
Beastie Boys - Sabotage (DJ Kue Remix)
Mightyfools - Baguette
The Subs - Heat
Bit Funk - A Question For You
Katy Perry - California Gurls (MSTRKRFT Remix)
Barletta - Set it off

Any opinions/critiques are appreciated. :)

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Furnace posted:

On another note, how the gently caress can you justify being an snobby rear end in a top hat when you live in loving NEWFOUNDLAND? that's just loving absurd.

I don't see what being from Newfoundland has to do with anything. Are you suggesting people from Newfoundland are lesser than people from mainland North America or something?

Anyway, I hardly think saying I prefer actual discussion about why people like or dislike music, as opposed to wholesale bashing of popular things, makes me a snobby rear end in a top hat. As I said I fully accept that there are real reasons to dislike the music of (just using an easy scapegoat here) Deadmau5 and Tiesto. In my experience though I've just seen more baseless bashing and 'gently caress Deadmau5' kind of comments than any real reason to hate him. I've just met a lot of people, from listening to metal and punk at least, who like to hate on things for no better reason than it being popular.

This is a pretty silly discussion though, particularly on my part. I may have jumped the gun on it.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Azure_Horizon posted:

If any of you like chill house, deep house, or jazz house (like Kaskade or some such), I recommend Samantha James

I really like most things that come out of Om records. They do a lot of good things.

That After Dark by The Count & Sinden (posted earlier) is such a JAM.

Edit: also, I'm assuming you've all seen the new Grum video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N_yF7I1VIE

Furnace
Mar 31, 2004

12 teams is where it's at, right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? YEAH! SOME THINGS YOU CAN'T UNSEE, BRO!

VenomHowell posted:

I don't see what being from Newfoundland has to do with anything. Are you suggesting people from Newfoundland are lesser than people from mainland North America or something?

I just don't think NFLDers should be so elitist considering that they probably don't get a lot of shows their way.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Furnace posted:

I just don't think NFLDers should be so elitist considering that they probably don't get a lot of shows their way.

Considering we tend to eat up whatever acts come our way because of this, I doubt we're elitist. Doesn't matter who comes, if there's a 'rave' (we don't have any real rave venues mind you) or a decent dance act coming our way, it generally ends up with an overwhelming amount of people. It seems to be working, because like I said, we're getting a lot more acts coming here than we used to. Would be unheard of for MSTRKRFT or Wolfgang Gartner to play a few years back.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

a milk crime posted:

I really like most things that come out of Om records. They do a lot of good things.

That After Dark by The Count & Sinden (posted earlier) is such a JAM.

Om Records is awesome, and Samantha James stands out to me in the house music genre because her voice is incredible. She has fantastic control over her cadence.

JimmyJazz
May 22, 2007

VenomHowell posted:

Anyway, I hardly think saying I prefer actual discussion about why people like or dislike music, as opposed to wholesale bashing of popular things, makes me a snobby rear end in a top hat.

you called a prolific producer and an entire genre 'samey' in barely two full sentences. guess what, you too are a hater

Furnace
Mar 31, 2004

VenomHowell posted:

Considering we tend to eat up whatever acts come our way because of this, I doubt we're elitist.

I was talking about snobby assholes you labelled glorified hipsters.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Furnace posted:

I was talking about snobby assholes you labelled glorified hipsters.

Ahh, that makes more sense then. They don't exist in the EDM scene in Newfoundland from what I can tell, but as far as punk or metal acts... Newfoundland gets pretty much gently caress all in terms of bands except local talent (which is surprisingly prolific). I'm kind of bitter because one of my favourite bars on George Street was pretty much taken over by hipsters and ended up pushing all the regulars to another bar. Change is as it is though. I find new places to hang and new people to hang with.

JimmyJazz posted:

you called a prolific producer and an entire genre 'samey' in barely two full sentences. guess what, you too are a hater

I called an album samey, and suggested that maybe the genre seems samey to me. I specifically said 'I don't know', because I don't have enough of a background in deep house to say that with any sort of certainty (Not to mention the guy posted the songs directly citing them as 'for people who like Kaskade'). The appearance of samey-ness tends to die though, when I gain more experience with a particular genre and realize where the differences and variation lie, and I'm eager to hear more from the genre.

Regardless, some of my favourite artists have produced samey albums. Hell, I initially felt that way about Rush's Snakes and Arrows but after giving it a few listens it became one of my favourite albums they produced.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 1, 2010

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Pres posted:

Fake Blood - I think I like It (Tommie Sunshine & Figure EC$TACY edit)

The whole thing was pretty good but this song. Holy poo poo.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

a milk crime posted:

The Om party at WMC this year was awesome, they've got some of the best chill music. I have an Om shirt. :3:

Related to the popular music chat, are there any songs that those of you who really really really dislike Tiësto/deadmau5/Swedish House Mafia/whatever actually like? I mean, I honestly like only a handful of deadmau5 tracks, kind of like a few of them, and a lot just sound samey to me. FML, Ghosts 'n' Stuff, Strobe, and Some Chords are just amazing though. I'm far from a Tiësto fan, but Escape Me is pretty neat and so is Knock You Out (but I have a hardon for Emily Haines so v:shobon:v)

I don't know I'm just more curious about "does [popular thing] universally suck or is there something that appeals to your tastes?"

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.

a milk crime posted:

Oh wow Grum has two videos now, and they both rule, although this one was maybe a bit too "lol homosexuality is funny right guys" for my liking (or maybe I'm missing the point). Anyway it was still pretty drat entertaining and fits the song perfectly. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I'm glad that song became a single because it's probably my favourite on the album. Either that or the one with Electric Youth on it.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Hammsturabi posted:

Oh wow Grum has two videos now, and they both rule, although this one was maybe a bit too "lol homosexuality is funny right guys" for my liking (or maybe I'm missing the point). Anyway it was still pretty drat entertaining and fits the song perfectly. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I'm glad that song became a single because it's probably my favourite on the album. Either that or the one with Electric Youth on it.

I don't think it's so much poking fun at homosexuals as it is poking fun at corny buddy-cop-flicks. They tend to be very 'alpha male' but have some pretty homoerotic overtones.

Kind of like football.

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.
okay well now I dislike it for being "What's the deal with Top Gun? You know what I mean!": the music video.

Nah just joking there's still plenty to love about that video and I hope Grum's next one is as good as this and "Can't Shake this Feeling".

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

VenomHowell posted:

I said I liked it. I am not hating on Kaskade.

A lot of those guys pretty much try to sound the same just because they know DJs are piling through tons of releases and the DJs want to know the new Kaskade is pretty much the same as the old rather than "oh, I guess Kaskade is into dubstep now". Obviously there's a lot of gray area there.

That's why a lot of producers use a different name entirely for stuff that has a different sound, or will even have multiple record labels.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

evensevenone posted:

A lot of those guys pretty much try to sound the same just because they know DJs are piling through tons of releases and the DJs want to know the new Kaskade is pretty much the same as the old rather than "oh, I guess Kaskade is into dubstep now". Obviously there's a lot of gray area there.

That's why a lot of producers use a different name entirely for stuff that has a different sound, or will even have multiple record labels.

Oh certainly, I agree here. But even within a genre there should be enough variation that the songs don't sound like they run together, is all. Like I said, my knowledge of deep house is pretty limited... Mostly just Kaskade actually. I probably just don't appreciate the differences in his tracks as much as someone more well versed in it would?

I guess what I mean to say is this: Take someone who doesn't listen to metal, and give them a Megadeth track and a Slayer track. They'd probably say all thrash metal sounds alike; but to someone who's into thrash metal they can appreciate the nuances and differences a lot more?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I think it's kind of "you have to know the specific artist," when I saw Tiësto live I didn't know 99% of his songs and I was with friends and I really wanted to hear Adagio for Strings. Every. Single. Song. sounded like it was leading into it, and over a four hour set that just got frustrating and kind of put me in a mind of "wow, this all sounds the same."

Furnace
Mar 31, 2004

Im just tired of people throwing out "hipster" as a derogatory term. I know people who, if they read this thread, would call every one of us who've posted music or links in this thread as such.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Whats the deal with We Speak no Americano? A lot of my friends are over playing this and lots of clubs are playing this. Sorry its really hard for me to keep up with this scene since it moves so goddamn fast, but I don't understand how people like this song.

Also adding to the hipster thing, you're always gonna have people like that, there's nothing you can do about it but keep arguing that you can (hopefully) keep outside the thread.

Furnace
Mar 31, 2004

Its like that accordion track that's out right now. A catchy old sample with some synth stabs and tweaks and boom! you have the makings of a crossover hit. It's harmless yet kinda forgettable, imho.

In other news, I showed some of my older family members an iPhoto slideshow of my recent trip to Barcelona, and couldnt find anything for music that would fit so I just threw on The Field, and I'll be damned if I didnt see a group of East Indian uncles and aunties tapping their toes and patting their hands to the beat.

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

PonchAxis posted:

Whats the deal with We Speak no Americano? A lot of my friends are over playing this and lots of clubs are playing this. Sorry its really hard for me to keep up with this scene since it moves so goddamn fast, but I don't understand how people like this song.

the most annoying thing about the song is that they're getting festival slots in australia because of that one track

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Oh come now, its not like yolanda be cool is getting premo-time spots.

We've seen worse douchebaggery from people riding on one track.

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

you're probably right, i'm just loving sick of hearing it out 7 times a night.

i don't really get what's douchebaggy about that video either.

JimmyJazz
May 22, 2007
its not the first track yolandas put out to get some play so its not like theyre riding it all the way to the EDC main stage, its also a fun one to get overplayed compared to something like One atleast. and the message owns..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9DWPYsMMrc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4q2hbJqKyQ

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

incoherent posted:

Oh come now, its not like yolanda be cool is getting premo-time spots.

We've seen worse douchebaggery from people riding on one track.

Implying that Swedish House Mafia weren't a well established group before 'one'?

JimmyJazz
May 22, 2007
like all but a handful of those people were there to hear anything else

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Lysis posted:

Implying that Swedish House Mafia weren't a well established group before 'one'?

This was my thought exactly in reply to that comment. While now, they have gotten a lot of attention for 'One' they also had "Leave the World Behind" with Laidback Luke, also, the three of them have done stuff individually, and obviously former member Eric Prydz has done a lot on his own. I'd say that Swedish House Mafia was definitely a well established group/entity/Mafia before One.

I personally am not a huge fan of "We Speak No Americano" and I don't think it will be considered a classic song in a few years. Like, there are songs that came out a few years ago that I could still feel more than fine dancing to (actually, Adagio for Strings I could easily still dance to, sorry) but I can't even really enjoy dancing to We Speak No Americano now. It just feels kinda lame/corny to me.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Furnace posted:

Im just tired of people throwing out "hipster" as a derogatory term. I know people who, if they read this thread, would call every one of us who've posted music or links in this thread as such.

A lot of people seem to hate something just because it's popular and love the hottest new thing that nobody has ever heard of, and for that the term "hipster" sees to be appropriate.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

BYOB posted:

A lot of people seem to hate something just because it's popular and love the hottest new thing that nobody has ever heard of, and for that the term "hipster" sees to be appropriate.
No, they don't. This doesn't describe a lot of people, it doesn't describe most people or even 10% of people. That's the problem with that phrase, this phenomenon, if it exists at all, is incredibly exaggerated and is just a cheap, lovely way for people to dismiss negative opinions.

When posting in this forum, you should basically come in under the assumption that absolutely nobody in the world exists who "only hates stuff because it's popular" or "only like stuff nobody's heard of". That may not be true, but focusing on this minority of questionable existence (no I don't want to hear about That One Guy You Know Who Totally Does This, btw) does absolutely nothing for discussion but drag it down.

edit: just removing "hipster" from your vocabulary entirely is probably a good idea, and any time you find yourself ascribing taste in music to uniformly unflattering personality traits, you should probably stop and think some more about the situation, because that happens a lot less than you might think.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

a milk crime posted:

This was my thought exactly in reply to that comment. While now, they have gotten a lot of attention for 'One' they also had "Leave the World Behind" with Laidback Luke, also, the three of them have done stuff individually, and obviously former member Eric Prydz has done a lot on his own. I'd say that Swedish House Mafia was definitely a well established group/entity/Mafia before One.

I wrote a lot of :words: regarding this, but then I realized how stupid it would be to debate the merits of swedish house mafia. It was my attempt to provide a contrast to Apolis comment.

I will say, however, it is pretty cool to see a legitimate supergroup in this genre.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
http://www.eventbee.com/view/avaberlinab/event?eid=722355252

Does anyone know what this venue is like? I was thinking about trudging up to SF to see this show but I have no idea what the place is like. But seriously 15 and change to see A-Trak alone would be worth it. Looks fun.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

The Fresh Prince posted:

http://www.eventbee.com/view/avaberlinab/event?eid=722355252

Does anyone know what this venue is like? I was thinking about trudging up to SF to see this show but I have no idea what the place is like. But seriously 15 and change to see A-Trak alone would be worth it. Looks fun.

Peanut butter wolf alone should sell you, regardless of the venue.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

incoherent posted:

I wrote a lot of :words: regarding this, but then I realized how stupid it would be to debate the merits of swedish house mafia. It was my attempt to provide a contrast to Apolis comment.

I will say, however, it is pretty cool to see a legitimate supergroup in this genre.

Probably the most perfect sentence I've read all day.

In content, I'm assuming that people have seen the Chromeo video for Don't Turn the Lights on. I think they have enough electro/synth/accompanying genre feel to them that they could count for this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDkGFYmVOFM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003

a milk crime posted:

Probably the most perfect sentence I've read all day.

In content, I'm assuming that people have seen the Chromeo video for Don't Turn the Lights on. I think they have enough electro/synth/accompanying genre feel to them that they could count for this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDkGFYmVOFM

Haha holy poo poo. I'm going to have nightmares. Hilarious nightmares.