Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Noxville posted:

I've been watching Breaking Bad, what an awesome show. About to start the second season but about the third: it's not on DVD yet (at least in the UK) so am I going to be stuck watching censored episodes should I not bother airing for the DVD release?

Just to clarify, pretty much what you see on the DVD is usually what they showed in the original broadcast version of Breaking Bad. All the risque stuff like Hank telling Walt that he got dealt a lovely hand in life, Walt's rear end shots, lame handjobs, whatever, those were actually shown in the original version.

But there is one scene in S3 where they mute the word 'gently caress'. Everybody knew what that character was saying, and it was one of the more "Holy poo poo," moments in a show filled with "Holy poo poo," moments.

So yeah, you should go watch S3 of Breaking Bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

Twin Peaks - after the first season was finished, I watched a bunch of David Lynch films to simulate a hiatus. This show has made me nerd out harder than anything I've ever before experienced

poronty
Oct 19, 2006
a hung Aryan
Just finished a mad two-day rush through the entirety of Party Down. What an absolutely brilliant show. The dialogue was so incredibly sharp at times it made me all giddy and dizzy. I wonder how much of it was improv, because I seriously can't decide if the writers or the actors are the bigger geniuses here; so I'll just tell myself everyone involved is loving brilliant.

My only quibble is that by now I'm starting to get a tiny bit tired of seeing the same handful of actors crop up in every good comedy show and movie – the (by now admittedly quite sizeable) circle of friends from The State, Reno 911, Apatow movies etc. –, however awesome they all might be. Seriously, there is only so many times a Thomas Lennon cameo can stay fresh and funny, although I do love the poo poo out of the guy.

the aftermath
Jul 20, 2002

Things Fall Apart
Just binged through Community. Absolutely brilliant stuff!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Mrens posted:

I also powered through all of Nip/Tuck and have decide I'm in love with the 'Family Drama based around unusual professions' Genre, any other recommendations?

Big Love, if you haven't seen that. Most recent season was a huge mess but the first three are pretty much the gold standard of unconventional family drama.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Mrens posted:

I just powered through the entirety of Six Feet Under, the 5th season of that show is a kick in the teeth. Whenever Claire broke down after Nate died I would lose it, women crying does it to me every time I also really REALLY liked the final 5 minutes of that show, good work writers :)

I also powered through all of Nip/Tuck and have decide I'm in love with the 'Family Drama based around unusual professions' Genre, any other recommendations?

Already seen Weeds and Soprano's though.

Well, there's Brotherhood. It's like the Sopranos crossed with The Wire. It's a bit uneven quality-wise, but it has some absolutely brilliant episodes and the two lead actors are both named Jason. As an added bonus, the first two seasons are available for Netflix Instant streaming.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

Ratatozsk posted:

Well, there's Brotherhood. It's like the Sopranos crossed with The Wire. It's a bit uneven quality-wise, but it has some absolutely brilliant episodes and the two lead actors are both named Jason. As an added bonus, the first two seasons are available for Netflix Instant streaming.

Did that show end on a cliffhanger or did it get a passable resolution?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Zero Karizma posted:

Did that show end on a cliffhanger or did it get a passable resolution?

Just about everything was wrapped up. I think that they had a sense when they closed the last season that it could be the end of the series.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am
I just binged through I, Claudius, which is amazing, and anyone who hasn't seen it must do so forthwith. Go on, it's only 12 episodes, we'll wait. Good. Great, wasn't it?

I've moved on to the Sopranos now, and while I'll definitely keep watching, I'm slightly ambivalent so far. A lot of it is very good, like the whole character of Tony Soprano and he's played wonderfully, but some elements don't quite gel for me. Livia, for example, just annoys me - and not in the 'ooh you're a well-written and acted character who I love to hate' way, just in the 'you are done badly' way. I also find the notion that Tony's family don't know about his job a bit tough to swallow. Does it get a little less overdramatic as it goes on?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

the aftermath posted:

Just binged through Community. Absolutely brilliant stuff!

Is Community out on DVD already, or did you DVR it? I really want to get into the show, but I never saw any during the season.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

I also find the notion that Tony's family don't know about his job a bit tough to swallow.

How far in are you? The fourth and fifth episodes of the first season, "Meadowlands" and "College", both deal very explicitly with the extent to which each member of his family is aware of how Tony provides for them.

e: I'm about halfway through the first season of The Larry Sanders Show. I'm enjoying it, it's a very likable show, especially the performances of Jeffery Tambor and Rip Torn, but I'm just not finding it that hilarious. A few possibilities: maybe it's just not quite to my taste; maybe it worked better for audiences of its time; or maybe the marked improvement in the quality of TV shows across the board in the last ~15 years due to the proliferation of cable networks creating original series has simply made it seem less impressive to a modern viewer. Like I said, I enjoy it and will continue watching, but it's not having the impact I expected given its reputation. Thoughts?

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 1, 2010

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

I just binged through I, Claudius, which is amazing, and anyone who hasn't seen it must do so forthwith. Go on, it's only 12 episodes, we'll wait. Good. Great, wasn't it?

I've moved on to the Sopranos now, and while I'll definitely keep watching, I'm slightly ambivalent so far. A lot of it is very good, like the whole character of Tony Soprano and he's played wonderfully, but some elements don't quite gel for me. Livia, for example, just annoys me - and not in the 'ooh you're a well-written and acted character who I love to hate' way, just in the 'you are done badly' way. I also find the notion that Tony's family don't know about his job a bit tough to swallow. Does it get a little less overdramatic as it goes on?

I don't think The Sopranos has aged very well, but it's responsible for inspiring a lot of good TV from HBO and even other channels. We wouldn't have Mad Men or Spartacus (it's surprisingly awesome) if it weren't for The Sopranos existing.

the aftermath
Jul 20, 2002

Things Fall Apart

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Is Community out on DVD already, or did you DVR it? I really want to get into the show, but I never saw any during the season.
Doesn't come out until September 21st apparently.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

If you don't like it after "College", you won't like it.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I've started rewatching The Wire, which is awesome. Also sometimes watching an episode of Breaking Bad or Pushing Daisies.

The girlfriend and I are currently watching Rescue Me and Sons of Anarchy. We're on season 1 of Rescue Me... I hear that show's quality comes and goes, though. Any seasons I should particularly look forward to, or dread?

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I've been mainlining True Blood all week, and now I'm super exited for tonight's episode :woop:

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."
I just binged all of Pushing Daisies and I am sad it's over. Can anyone recommend another similar show?

I'm presently watching Dead Like Me but I miss the happy tone, striking visuals, and excellent alliteration of Pushing Daisies.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I finished The West Wing this morning around 5:45am. No regrets whatsoever, I enjoyed the whole run.

It's tough to let go if you watched 2-4 episodes of a show everyn night for 7 weeks straight, though.

Soooo.... "what's next?"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

mcbexx posted:

I finished The West Wing this morning around 5:45am. No regrets whatsoever, I enjoyed the whole run.

It's tough to let go if you watched 2-4 episodes of a show everyn night for 7 weeks straight, though.

Soooo.... "what's next?"

The pilot episode of Studio 60 is pretty good

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

mcbexx posted:

Soooo.... "what's next?"

Sports Night if you still need your Sorkin fix. Don't worry, they eventually get rid of the laugh track.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Kinda stupid but I've been binging through Survivor lately. I only watched the first 2 seasons when it started, thought Africa sucked, never watched again. Saw Heroes vs Villains, I like Big Brother USA as it is so I enjoy the format, and am trying to go through a bunch of seasons. I just finished Samoa and Tocantins. Tocantins was awesome once the merge hit, and the entirity of Samoa sans who won was wonderful. What are some other really good seasons?

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 1, 2010

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Ratatozsk posted:

I'd hesitate before calling The Wire a police show to begin with, given everything else going on, but a procedural?

Just trying to nip fellow Wire fans in the bud.

Oh, and this:

quote:

That aside, Homicide is a pretty darn good show, even if I'd take Dutch and Wyms over any pair of Baltimore schlubs.

Is goddamn fighting words.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I really liked the political parts of The Wire, are there any shows that are similar? I've seen West Wing but I didn't really like it all that much; it seemed really idealistic and even cheesy at times. I'd like something more realistic like The Wire was. UK suggestions are welcome since I'm not even sure there has been anything like what I'm asking for on US TV.

e: huh, I thought there was a recommendation thread

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 2, 2010

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I really liked the political parts of The Wire, are there any shows that are similar? I've seen West Wing but I didn't really like it all that much; it seemed really idealistic and even cheesy at times. I'd like something more realistic like The Wire was. UK suggestions are welcome since I'm not even sure there has been anything like what I'm asking for on US TV.

e: huh, I thought there was a recommendation thread

Watch the Thick of It. It's the anti-West Wing and is extremely funny.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I'm 4 episodes into Arrested Development. So far, it is pretty good, but I like 30 Rock better because the dumb characters are funnier on 30 Rock.

I've been told it's one of the best comedies ever. Does it get better or does it stay consistent at where it is?

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

Superrodan posted:

I'm 4 episodes into Arrested Development. So far, it is pretty good, but I like 30 Rock better because the dumb characters are funnier on 30 Rock.

I've been told it's one of the best comedies ever. Does it get better or does it stay consistent at where it is?

Definitely gets better. You'll see why.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
I just noticed that "Leverage" is now a show that gets stickied in TVIV. Is that show worth binging the first two seasons? The only TNT show I watch is Southland (which is fantastic btw.)

Reading the synopsis for Leverage it seems similar to the type of shows USA has (Burn Notice & the like). I wouldn't say I really 'like' those shows but they can certainly be entertaining when you're bored.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Kaleidoscope posted:

I just noticed that "Leverage" is now a show that gets stickied in TVIV. Is that show worth binging the first two seasons? The only TNT show I watch is Southland (which is fantastic btw.)

Reading the synopsis for Leverage it seems similar to the type of shows USA has (Burn Notice & the like). I wouldn't say I really 'like' those shows but they can certainly be entertaining when you're bored.

Leverage is really one of my favorite shows on right now. I consider it this generations A-team.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Superrodan posted:

It gets better, and it gets better with repeated viewings. It is so self-referential and has so many subtle jokes that it's impossible to see it all the first time.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I've been watching Veronica Mars this past week or so. I used to be really surprised at how popular it was on the boards back when it was airing. The goon opinion of it is the only reason it got a chance from me. (Of course the same happened with Glee and absolutely hated it.) But VM is really quite spectacular. I don't think I've seen such complex characters on a show in a high school setting before. Plus I'm a sucker for good detective stuff.

LorneReams posted:

Leverage is really one of my favorite shows on right now. I consider it this generations A-team.

I saw an episode of this the other day and just couldn't take it seriously at all. The acting was just really bad. My roommate digs it though.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Currently binging through American Dad just started Season 2, the first part of Season 1 was terrible but it started picking up steam half way through. Also, the animation got much better.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
More than halfway through season 2 of Arrested Development.

The callbacks in this show are brilliant. They're getting more and more subtle (like the line "I had to remove all the pumps from the attic a while ago") and that's the best kind.

Also, the way they set up Buster having the stuffed seal and his hand chair in the room a long time ago and just now made him lose his hand to a seal then glance around the room at everything in fear was AMAZING.

EDIT: Also, I just realized where one of the dances from 1vs100 came from. It's Gob's chicken impression. Every time he did it it seemed so familiar, I just assumed I had seen a gif of it or something.

EDIT2: Ok, so I've now seen three family members do chicken impressions that are completely wrong. I really hope that in the last episode we get to see Michael's chicken impression, but I don't know if it would be funnier if he did a good one that nobody else understood or a bad one like everyone else.

EDIT3: Four family members now... getting closer.

Ok, that was underwhelming. He made a chicken noise but didn't get to do any dance as he was driving.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 9, 2010

Narev
Oct 9, 2005

Something about FIR3 makes me wanna DANCE!
I've been catching up on The Practice via Hulu. My encyclopedic knowledge of lawyer shows let me coast through the criminal justice 101 course I took out of curiosity. I watched a season of some cancelled show with a super cliche title (Murder One? I don't care enough to look) where that slimy bastard lawyer from NYPD blue was the protagonist. They also spent the whole first season on one case. Bleh.

I also watched some show called Vanished about a kidnapping until they KILLED OFF THE MAIN CHARACTER like halfway through the first season. Why are all cops or FBI agents always divorced (Or borderline) with a daughter? The guy from Lie to me, Stabler, This Vanished dude, Briscoe (His daughter wasn't around much, and they killed her off), Medevoy... It's like cops can't be married unless it's to another cop or a DA.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Narev posted:

I've been catching up on The Practice via Hulu. My encyclopedic knowledge of lawyer shows let me coast through the criminal justice 101 course I took out of curiosity. I watched a season of some cancelled show with a super cliche title (Murder One? I don't care enough to look) where that slimy bastard lawyer from NYPD blue was the protagonist. They also spent the whole first season on one case. Bleh.

I also watched some show called Vanished about a kidnapping until they KILLED OFF THE MAIN CHARACTER like halfway through the first season. Why are all cops or FBI agents always divorced (Or borderline) with a daughter? The guy from Lie to me, Stabler, This Vanished dude, Briscoe (His daughter wasn't around much, and they killed her off), Medevoy... It's like cops can't be married unless it's to another cop or a DA.

When Homicide started Pembleton was happily married and did not have a daughter until later in the series. You also find out Briscoe banged Munch's first wife.

Narev
Oct 9, 2005

Something about FIR3 makes me wanna DANCE!

bobkatt013 posted:

When Homicide started Pembleton was happily married and did not have a daughter until later in the series. You also find out Briscoe banged Munch's first wife.

I actually live in Baltimore, I've seen the police station they used over on Fell's point, but I never really got into Homicide. The few episodes I've seen though, it's fun when they pass a landmark and you think "I've been there!"

As soon as I found out Hodges on Criminal Minds was married (with a young SON) I predicted divorce. A few seasons later, BAM! Divorce. I think they went into witness protection or something, I haven't watched it in a while.

Then there's the dead wife and daughter, like Gibbs on NCIS, or Jane on the Mentalist. Is it so hard to stop using the same old crap? I'd be interested to hear if anyone knows if the real divorce rate for cops is unusually high.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I first started binging on Lost while the show was in the third season to see what the hubbub was all about. Got hooked at the first episode. By the end of the fourth season I stopped watching.

Two weeks ago I decided to start season 5 and now almost at that season's finale. I can't stop now.

Zeluth fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 11, 2010

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Kaleidoscope posted:

If you enjoy con-man criminal caper films like Ocean's Eleven or The Sting, then you might enjoy Leverage. It isn't high drama, but it's not attempting to be. It's a fun show, with fun characters, where every week they go steal a <blank> to bring down a bad guy. And there isn't a huge amount of continuity dragging it down, so even if you decide to just hop in on the next episode you'll probably like it.

The biggest argument I'd have against binging through the first two seasons, is that it can tend to be a bit formulaic, but it is buoyed up by great characters.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
After Lost season five finale, now not sure if I want to actually see what season six has in store.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Zeluth posted:

After Lost season five finale, now not sure if I want to actually see what season six has in store.

In the Lost threads, some people's opinions improved through the last season, some people remained the same or indifferent and my personal opinion went up and then declined. It's a risk I think. The show deserves a conclusion though and eventually, if it hasn't been spoiled to you already, it will be, so you should definitely watch. Even though I wasn't satisfied like I was hoping, it was a personal preference and I really loved watching all of the episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
Since you've got that far you owe it to yourself to see it through. It's not that bad despite the odd nutty episode, it's just not amazing sci-fi like it arguably could have been based on early seasons.

--

I am coming to the end of watching the last season of Star Trek Enterprise. I almost gave up at the start of season three, but someone here persuaded me to keep watching and I'm glad they did, because it's been pretty good fun. Consistently watchable if rarely outstanding, but never poor quality.

My plan is to watch all the rest of Star Trek in chronological order as well as I can. The only other Trek I've watched before is Voyager (most of the first two seasons), and the odd episode of TOS. And most of the films.

So.. Trekkies, how exactly should I go boldly now? TOS -> TNG -> DS9 -> Voyager? Skip TOS? (my preference) Painstakingly interwatch all the overlapping TNG/DS9 DS9/Voyager episodes? Watch the movies in place of TOS? Not sure really.

After everyone has talked about it in this thread I started watching Breaking Bad a few weeks ago, and I finished season two the other night. The show is unlike anything else on TV. Was not expecting it to be quite as remarkable and different as it is, and brilliant. Certainly up there quality wise with the best of what TV land (HBO) has to offer.

The only downside is that Skyler is just an unmitigatingly stupid, annoying person and I've given up caring about her as a character. Personally I find her less sympathetic even than a certain someone who Six Feet fans lumped most of their criticism on. Other than that, good.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 11, 2010