Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

dvgrhl posted:

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I see a lot of people do what you are doing and I think there are some things you need to re-think. You're worried about speed and future growth on a site that hasn't even launched yet. There's nothing wrong with doing a little planning ahead, but you're already talking about VPSs and cloud serving before the site is even up and drawing a regular audience. And then you're wanting to start out on a host spending a maximum of $15 a month.

If you're really sure that you need to be putting a lot of thought into expansion at this point, then you should just be starting out on a good VPS to begin with rather than a shared host. Otherwise, I think your focus is better spent on getting the site up and running and building up an audience, and you can worry about expansion later on when that time comes. It takes much more work getting regular readers than it does to move a Wordpress site to a new host.

I'm not new to this game, neither are my partners, this is simply the first time we've decided to conglomerate holdings on new ventures due to Wordpress going MU in core. I just personally don't have a lot of experience with hosting decisions and I'd like to go into discussions a bit better armed. I'm not taking the advice the wrong way it's just a bit off the mark. We're fine on the audience development front and fully understand the complexities and difficulties, we aren't putting the cart before the horse. We're considering starting shared, scaling media to our AWS acount as necessary, then moving to VPS or ec2. Now if we can find a VPS that has what we're looking for at a low no contract price, it'll be high in the considerations--hence the questions. We want to keep startup costs low for a variety of reasons and committing to more hosting than we need while we're building is wasted money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

optikalus posted:

The welcome email usually provides all the information most people need, but yes, I've been working on a new control panel for the last year or so and included with that is a in-depth help system.

Well, uh, I didn't get a welcome email. While searching for it I did find the email from angrydomains in the junk folder (mail.app). I will send an email to you guys to request a welcome email.

fake edit, I found the welcome email in gmail's spam folder. What is going on?

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

stizu posted:

Well, uh, I didn't get a welcome email. While searching for it I did find the email from angrydomains in the junk folder (mail.app). I will send an email to you guys to request a welcome email.

fake edit, I found the welcome email in gmail's spam folder. What is going on?

AngryDomains is actually a GoDaddy reseller. I've just got all the prices as cheap as they'll let me set them, which keeps going up and up unfortunately :( I used to be able to beat their own prices by almost a buck, but no more.

There has been problems with some of the more overzealous filters due to us allowing people to forward their mail. We can't obviously not allow people to forward mail, but when they forward even if we use SpamAssassin to flag/defang their junk, the dumber filters don't differentiate us from the spammers :(

This has been annoying me to no end recently, and I've been considering a few options: disallow forwarding off-site (not really a good option); force spam to a new folder and not forward when forwarding (people wouldn't like this as ham would be a pain to get back especially if they haven't used IMAP before).

auruspex
Oct 17, 2005

atastypie posted:

Can someone recommend a windows reseller provider? Host Dime is goon run, but are those prices as good as I'm going to be able to get? I only need ~2GB of space and ~20GB of transfer with no plan on expanding.

Sorry for the delay on responding to this but I can explain slightly why our prices are a bit higher. HostDime is a more unique host because we own and operate our own Datacenter and do all support (from level 1 to network operations) in house, meaning absolutely no outsourcing at all. We also have 24/7/365 phone/live chat/ticket support with responses within 20 minutes normally. We aren't the cheapest host on the market but we are one of the most unique in the fact that we are completely self-sufficient and do not rely on other companies nor venture capital to move forward. If you have any other questions or need a coupon code to start up your account, let me know and I can defiantly work something out for you :)

Full disclosure: I am the Support Manager at HostDime and run all Support Operations for the Company, from level 1 to 3.

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

optikalus posted:

AngryDomains is actually a GoDaddy reseller. I've just got all the prices as cheap as they'll let me set them, which keeps going up and up unfortunately :( I used to be able to beat their own prices by almost a buck, but no more.

I appreciate your answers. I kind of figured it was a godaddy thing when I kept getting the upsell popups. At least you get a cut, right?

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

stizu posted:

I appreciate your answers. I kind of figured it was a godaddy thing when I kept getting the upsell popups. At least you get a cut, right?

I'd rather not get a cut, though. When I originally created the reseller account, I was just getting enough to cover the $99/year agreement, which I was perfectly happy with. It is only about providing my customers cheap domains.

Oh, to clarify, only the domain registrar is a reseller -- AngryHosting is on my own servers in datacenters in Los Angeles and Chicago.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
What's the scoop on good UK/Euro hosts?

Jackhammer Rape
Oct 19, 2006
She had it coming...
Not meaning to threadjack but it is semi related, is anyone else here using Nixihost? It seemed to go down last night (UK time) and still isn't back up with zero information / contactability.

It was originally goon run (still is as far as I know) and the service was good. Any other users got any idea what's going on?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

c0burn posted:

http://server.lu/ is a pretty great dedicated server host out of Luxembourg. (also, very cheap for what you get)

doubtful
Jan 27, 2004
I'm on nixihost as well, they are having routing problems...it's been down for nearly 48 hours now though I wonder if something else is up

http://twitter.com/nixihost

E1M7
Aug 25, 2005

You can hear my music, in your pulse, faster and faster thumping... you are doomed.
They went down sometime a month ago as well but it was only for a half of a day. I just launched a full blown redesign and two days later their router shits the bed :( what horrible timing. at least last month they gave out some credits to peoples accounts for the outage.

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

doubtful posted:

I'm on nixihost as well, they are having routing problems...it's been down for nearly 48 hours now though I wonder if something else is up

http://twitter.com/nixihost

They're doing an un-planned move to a different data center it looks like. That has to be something more than just a routing issue.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

I am also on Nixihost, and thought it was me at first, because we just got a new cable modem and had a setup fiasco over the past couple of days. When my FTP wouldn't connect just now, I was like "gently caress do I have to call the cable company again?" Then I realized, "oh hey Nixihost is hosed". I'm honestly glad I don't have to call Comcast tech support though.

Hopefully they come back soon.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Kinda surprised at how calm some of you are for having more than a few minutes of downtime :ohdear:. Aren't people complaining?

Bicycle SexFucker
Aug 15, 2007

I have zero interest in marriage.

drcru posted:

Kinda surprised at how calm some of you are for having more than a few minutes of downtime :ohdear:. Aren't people complaining?

I run a website with 700 plus users, about 100 of them daily. I've had a lot of emails so far. It sucks, and I'm going to complain and get free hosting out of this.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Bah, I just migrated my hosting from Dreamhost to Lithium and my google apps hosted mail is broken which is what I expected. However, I'm having a bitch of a time figuring out how to get google to recognize my new hosting without nuking the whole account and starting over which would also blow away all my previous mail. Any thoughts?

I've updated my MX records with Lithium but I can't seem to get google to generate a new CNAME verification string without deleting my account for my domain and making it again.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Shaocaholica posted:

Bah, I just migrated my hosting from Dreamhost to Lithium and my google apps hosted mail is broken which is what I expected. However, I'm having a bitch of a time figuring out how to get google to recognize my new hosting without nuking the whole account and starting over which would also blow away all my previous mail. Any thoughts?

I've updated my MX records with Lithium but I can't seem to get google to generate a new CNAME verification string without deleting my account for my domain and making it again.

Define broken, is it just not receiving mail yet? It can take up to 48 hours for DNS to resolve after moving to a new host.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

drcru posted:

Define broken, is it just not receiving mail yet? It can take up to 48 hours for DNS to resolve after moving to a new host.

The hosting transition happened 6 days ago and by broken I mean whenever I send mail to that account it gets bounced back.

Edit: nm, works now. My impatience got the better of me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Does anyone know of a place that offers OS X shell accounts?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

c0burn posted:

http://server.lu/ is a pretty great dedicated server host out of Luxembourg. (also, very cheap for what you get)

I'm also a customer of theirs. Fantastic for the price but be aware that as a high bandwidth host who bill per month with no setup fee, they have a habit of attracting a certain kind of person (like OVH and Hetzner do/did).

For VPSs, I liked bitfolk (based in the UK) but they're no longer the cheapest people around unfortunately.

a llama
Mar 10, 2010

by T. Finn

auruspex posted:

Sorry for the delay on responding to this but I can explain slightly why our prices are a bit higher. HostDime is a more unique host because we own and operate our own Datacenter and do all support (from level 1 to network operations) in house, meaning absolutely no outsourcing at all. We also have 24/7/365 phone/live chat/ticket support with responses within 20 minutes normally. We aren't the cheapest host on the market but we are one of the most unique in the fact that we are completely self-sufficient and do not rely on other companies nor venture capital to move forward. If you have any other questions or need a coupon code to start up your account, let me know and I can defiantly work something out for you :)

Full disclosure: I am the Support Manager at HostDime and run all Support Operations for the Company, from level 1 to 3.

its manny!

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Can someone give me a recommendation on exactly what sort of service I need?

I work for a small industrial HVAC equipment distributor, and we need to do an off-site backup on a regular basis of our critical accounting and financial data. Our database is only about 750mb in size, and we'd like to upload a new copy to some cloud storage somewhere on a nightly basis, retaining old databases for 30 days. So, we wouldn't need much storage, 30gb should be plenty.

I see a lot of web hosting plans that offer plenty of storage and unlimited bandwith for pennies a month. But, and this is probably a retarded question, if we just bought one of those cheap hosting plans from GoDaddy or something, and uploaded our files to it, could someone access them as easily as typing in our domain name and then the file name? That is NOT what we want.

It seems like what I want is so simple, but most all hosting places I've seen offer way more then we actually need.

What should I be looking for, and can someone point me in the right direction?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Just use Backblaze, Carbonite, or whoever for $5 a month.

If you use a web hosting account, you will have to transfer files with FTP or install and configure a third party application on your site to enable file transfers.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
That's what I would prefer, using FTP to transfer files rather then having to install their applications on my shiny new server. Looking at Carbonite, it seems their only option it to use their software, and it determines when things need to be backed up. I don't think this would work, as we want to keep the old databases around for at least 30 days.

Really, that's all I want is some web space with FTP access.

Tsaven Nava fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 11, 2010

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

c0burn posted:

I can't say I've moved around enough to make that many direct comparisons, and I'm sure you can find cheaper, but I've always been more than happy with 34sp.com.

auruspex
Oct 17, 2005

a llama posted:

its manny!

Dennis actually :) I am curious how you know Manny though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Tsaven Nava posted:

Really, that's all I want is some web space with FTP access.

Alright, then you can use whatever host you want. Just pick a good one that does backups. You might have trouble finding a VPS with enough storage space+transfer at a low cost.

Just make sure you don't put the files in /www or /public_html ;)

Make sure your host allows you to use sftp, so your stuff is secure. And if it's a shared host and it's confidential poo poo, encrypt it before you upload it.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Bob Morales posted:

Alright, then you can use whatever host you want. Just pick a good one that does backups. You might have trouble finding a VPS with enough storage space+transfer at a low cost.

Just make sure you don't put the files in /www or /public_html ;)

Make sure your host allows you to use sftp, so your stuff is secure. And if it's a shared host and it's confidential poo poo, encrypt it before you upload it.

Also make sure your host allows you to use your shared hosting for file storage. Some host require your hosting be used for web hosting and not offsite data storage.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Why not Amazon S3? There are tons of scripts that will automatically back up to it for you once you cron them up. There are also some pretty decent (free) apps that will mount the S3 drive for you to access whenever you want.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

atastypie posted:

Why not Amazon S3? There are tons of scripts that will automatically back up to it for you once you cron them up. There are also some pretty decent (free) apps that will mount the S3 drive for you to access whenever you want.

Now that would be quite perfect, but I couldn't seem to get a straight answer out of Amazon's web page (in the three minutes I spent poking at it) that would tell me how much it would cost per month.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Tsaven Nava posted:

Now that would be quite perfect, but I couldn't seem to get a straight answer out of Amazon's web page (in the three minutes I spent poking at it) that would tell me how much it would cost per month.

http://aws.amazon.com/s3/#pricing

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I'm considering starting a hosting company myself. If I decide to pull the trigger, I intend to start small and keep the personal touch. Since I'm not really advertising here I don't think i need to show off my credentials, though I will say I am a storage and VMware admin by day. I wanted to ask about pricing here. If/when I start I don't plan to have HA anything, and I will make that clear in any marketing. I think I can turn a profit on a plan like this:

1 vCPU
512MB RAM
25GB storage
250GB transfer
1 IP

for $15/mo, with the following options available

Extra RAM $3/256MB
Extra disk $2/5GB
Extra IP $1 per
Transfer $1 per 25GB

I can do this without terribly overselling, based on my experience with virtual workloads. If I can turn any profit whatsoever with this, I have a plan to expand and provide much better reliability options, including offsite data backups and HA for both storage and servers.

The real question here is, will I look like too much of a fly by night rear end in a top hat to even get started?

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
Not if you have say $10K or so to spend on branding and marketing. Maybe $5K if you know a talented designer that can cut you deals and you're comfortable managing your own online reputation. This is really a business question not a hosting question.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

adorai posted:

The real question here is, will I look like too much of a fly by night rear end in a top hat to even get started?

Not if you target the right people (other fly by night assholes).

Joking aside, I offer the same kind of deal as you're planning on doing and was able to get lots of interest off the back of my forums reputation alone. With work, it's fairly easy to make this kind of business sustainable. There doesn't seem to be any shortage of people looking for cheap VPSs (just keep an eye on what people are doing - e.g. I offer uncapped bandwidth which has a habit of attracting trouble).

I suspect the problems arise when you need to hire extra staff.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

adorai posted:

I'm considering starting a hosting company myself. If I decide to pull the trigger, I intend to start small and keep the personal touch. Since I'm not really advertising here I don't think i need to show off my credentials, though I will say I am a storage and VMware admin by day. I wanted to ask about pricing here. If/when I start I don't plan to have HA anything, and I will make that clear in any marketing. I think I can turn a profit on a plan like this:

1 vCPU
512MB RAM
25GB storage
250GB transfer
1 IP

for $15/mo, with the following options available

Extra RAM $3/256MB
Extra disk $2/5GB
Extra IP $1 per
Transfer $1 per 25GB

I can do this without terribly overselling, based on my experience with virtual workloads. If I can turn any profit whatsoever with this, I have a plan to expand and provide much better reliability options, including offsite data backups and HA for both storage and servers.

Are you counting the costs of paying Vmware for ESX licenses? You can't use free ESXi in a hosting environment, if that was your plan.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Maneki Neko posted:

Are you counting the costs of paying Vmware for ESX licenses? You can't use free ESXi in a hosting environment, if that was your plan.
Even if I was planning on paying for esxi, it's pretty cheap. Luckily I am not, and I have spent a lot of time playing with KVM, so that is my intended platform.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

adorai posted:

Even if I was planning on paying for esxi, it's pretty cheap. Luckily I am not, and I have spent a lot of time playing with KVM, so that is my intended platform.

Well god speed then, I think those prices are pretty decent overall, as long as you don't end up spend every waking moment dealing with idiots doing terrible things. :)

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
What domain registrar's are you guys using that are cheap and reliable? Godaddy's prices have gone up a lot over the years.

Bicycle SexFucker
Aug 15, 2007

I have zero interest in marriage.

Phiberoptik posted:

What domain registrar's are you guys using that are cheap and reliable? Godaddy's prices have gone up a lot over the years.

namecheap.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Phiberoptik posted:

Namecheap.com
Name.com
Moniker.com

I have about 50 domains between these 3 guys.

Just FYI, ICAAN controls domain prices, so when a registrar raises their prices you can usually expect other registrars to follow suit.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 26, 2010