Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

there's plenty of tools out there for doing copper pipe etc. that stop the pipe caving in on itself although they're probably all too big for fiddly modelling crap. do you need a perfect 90 degree bend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

enri posted:

there's plenty of tools out there for doing copper pipe etc. that stop the pipe caving in on itself although they're probably all too big for fiddly modelling crap. do you need a perfect 90 degree bend?

I might be able to get away with something not quite 90. I was thinking of bending the pins I use to pin models to bases so it's an L shape with the bottom part of the L hooking under the bottom of the base and giving it more surface area to glue to.

Looking at it from underneath the base:

FoulWeatherFriend
Apr 10, 2006

Huh, okay...
Pliers are fine. Bend them a bit with the pliers and then press them down further.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Aranan posted:

I might be able to get away with something not quite 90. I was thinking of bending the pins I use to pin models to bases so it's an L shape with the bottom part of the L hooking under the bottom of the base and giving it more surface area to glue to.

I do that kind of thing with paper clips all the time. Pliers work fine.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

Need to do hair, bottle, pig and base, but

Beffah
Jul 8, 2010

Aranan posted:

Is there a tool out there that would easily allow you to bend brass rod at a 90 degree angle? I'm thinking of some sort of pliers that have a V shape to them.

For like $5 for a cheapy at an autoparts store, look for a brake-line bender, if you want exact angles. Also useful if you ever actually need to do your brakes.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Has anybody here ordered any of the Trollforged miniatures stuff? Any opinions on their casting?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Aranan posted:

Get a cheap pair of needlenose pliers, they'll come in handy for a shitload of modeling activities.

(also, Firefox's spell check catches 'needlenose' as inappropriate, but 'shitload' is just fine :haw: )

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Fix posted:

Has anybody here ordered any of the Trollforged miniatures stuff? Any opinions on their casting?

I ordered one of those modular demon lords from them. Pretty pleased with it. Plastic, almost zero flash. Pretty clean mold overall, though I've yet to assemble it.

I can take some pics if you want, I haven't touched it since it arrived.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'll give it a shot with my cheap needlenose pliers that I have. I just didn't want to accidentally slip and bang a model against the desk or something. :)

Has anyone tried "juicing" as a painting method as described in this article? I'm pretty sure someone linked to it early in in this thread's life, but I can't find the page it's on. Anyway, it sounds pretty interesting. It's kind of like layering, but instead of putting down successive layers of shading and highlights, you're putting down successive layers of the same color, but just doing it in steps with the color super thinned. So maybe one pass of Ice Blue on the highlight areas, then another pass on just the edges to make it stand out a little more.

Aranan fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 2, 2010

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Aranan posted:

Has anyone tried "juicing" as a painting method as described in this article?

That's the first time I've heard of this being called "juicing" but this technique is, as far as I know, older than dirt. Setting a base color at a mid range and then adding shades and highlights with several thin layers of your shade and highlight colors isn't anything particularly new, and with practice, can produce some pretty awesome effects. If I'm not mistaken, this sort of technique was originally a 2-D painting technique applied to a 3-D surface, which as of late has become a more commonplace practice.
I've personally tried doing this once or twice way back when, and I hated how it looked. But, having gotten a bit more skill and technique under my belt now, I might have another go at it, because as I said, with practice, you can make some super smooth transitional highlights and shading.

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006

Aranan posted:

Has anyone tried "juicing" as a painting method as described in this article? I'm pretty sure someone linked to it early in in this thread's life, but I can't find the page it's on. Anyway, it sounds pretty interesting. It's kind of like layering, but instead of putting down successive layers of shading and highlights, you're putting down successive layers of the same color, but just doing it in steps with the color super thinned. So maybe one pass of Ice Blue on the highlight areas, then another pass on just the edges to make it stand out a little more.

I've given it a couple tries and I really like the results but the only time I'd use it was for painting display models, I find it much too slow for batch models. Also I prefer this article by Seb for juicing as you can see him actually applying it.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Juicing works, but you have to use paints that are somewhat transparent, otherwise your transitions are too obvious.

Glazing is the same way, you have to use paints that have a non-opaque pigment

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
So I've been kinda looking at Iwata airbrushes on amazon, will I be able to make suitably nazi tank camo with something like this?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Iwata is a good brand with good reputation. That setup should be able to do your camo and then some.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
Here, more pictures of Eldrad :v:

Click here for the full 981x1473 image.

Click here for the full 1098x1443 image.

Click here for the full 882x1158 image.

Right shoulder is in the process of being redone, I found a mould mimatch, not a line; so I had to take a hobby knife to it.

Purple gems still need some blacklining and another level to really make them pop.

C&C me up.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

No, gently caress juicing. It's unacceptable when Barry Bonds or Mark MacGuire do it, why do warhams get a pass?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

No, gently caress juicing. It's unacceptable when Barry Bonds or Mark MacGuire do it, why do warhams get a pass?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Jesus gently caress:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

I remember way back when, PV always told us that there are painters far more skilled than he is.

And no one believed him.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So what makes those so infinitely better than PV's stuff.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation
I'd say it looks like they airbrushed on those highlights. . . but poo poo, is it possible to get that type of control with an airbrush?

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I think your eyes are broken sir.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Fix posted:

Jesus gently caress:

Oh god so hot :fap:

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Just got my AoBR (thanks PV) and have a question: are there any good articles on preparing miniatures to be painted, ie removing mold lines, etc? I went to town on a few and I think I might be getting a bit overzealous with the file and knife. I've never seen what removed mold lines look like and what's good enough and what is going to show after priming. I imagine this is one of those learn by experience things, but if you guys have any tips I'd appreciate it.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Prefect Six posted:

Just got my AoBR (thanks PV) and have a question: are there any good articles on preparing miniatures to be painted, ie removing mold lines, etc? I went to town on a few and I think I might be getting a bit overzealous with the file and knife. I've never seen what removed mold lines look like and what's good enough and what is going to show after priming. I imagine this is one of those learn by experience things, but if you guys have any tips I'd appreciate it.

errrm... removed mold lines don't look like anything v:shobon:v

In a nutshell, for plastics you're better off using a hobby knife. Hold it at a 90 degree'ish angle to the mold line and 'scrape' the mold line away. It's a piece of piss with plastics and you'll pick it up in no time whatsoever.

Metals on the other hands, I hate removing mold lines on metal models :(

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

So you shouldn't be able to see any sort of crease or residual line? I've been scraping them and using the thin edge of the file mostly, but also worried I'm doing more harm than good. Oh well, have to learn somehow.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

lighttigersoul posted:

I'd say it looks like they airbrushed on those highlights. . . but poo poo, is it possible to get that type of control with an airbrush?

Yeah, I know a guy way back when who did a grey knights army on commission and I think for 95% of it he used an airbrush, on the guys and the land raiders and whatever. Damned if I could find pictures of it now though.

Of course if you're really loving good at blending, the airbrush isn't necessary for that effect.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Devlan Mud posted:

Of course if you're really loving good at blending, the airbrush isn't necessary for that effect.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Fix posted:

Jesus gently caress:

Those are Jamie Downward's models. Basically they were painted with a mix of airbrush and just brush. He airbrushed on the main colour (the grey green) and then airbrushed on a highlight from above the model to get a zenithal light effect, that he then went and refined with a paintbrush. This dude has won a heap of Australian Golden Demons. No offence meant to PV, but they blow his models out of the water

The dude with the double handed axe and horned helmet was painted by Sebastian Archer, and he didn't use an airbrush. He has won a couple of Australian Slayer Swords and a heap more Golden Demons, I thinka couple in the UK as well.

They both post on Oz Painters, which has some ridiculous number of good painters posting fairly regularly (from around the world, not just Australia)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Anything with good zenith lighting and blends like that = super rad

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Anything with good zenith lighting and blends like that = super rad

You got it. I basically take anything that Sebastian Archer says as gospel, and Jamie Downward is hugely influeced by his painting as well, especially in colour choices. I will be trying out some of Sebs techniques in painting the 2000 GD Black Orc for display, and possibly entry into the Golden Demon next year.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Big Willy Style posted:

No offence meant to PV, but they blow his models out of the water

This is like saying big sportsman no. 1 is better than big sportsman no. 2 - they both blow the pants off of whatever the rest of us can do :allears:

When I'm rich PV, I'll hit you up for a commissioned army :dance:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Captain Invictus posted:

The Stormtroopers are nice, but I liked PV's Grey Knights better. :colbert:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Not sure if anyone here reads no quarter (privateer press rag) but there is a "speed painting" article where the painter basically uses primer to created zenith highlighting, then just uses washes over it.

So a coat of black primer, then a light coat of white, sprayed downward on the model. After that dries he uses a bunch of thinned paints/inks.

It looks ballin, and it seems pretty easy to do.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

PaintVagrant posted:

Not sure if anyone here reads no quarter (privateer press rag) but there is a "speed painting" article where the painter basically uses primer to created zenith highlighting, then just uses washes over it.

So a coat of black primer, then a light coat of white, sprayed downward on the model. After that dries he uses a bunch of thinned paints/inks.

Which issue is that in?

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

PaintVagrant posted:

We have a warmahordes player locally who uses this technique to do fast zenithal lighting and it does produce pretty good results. I'm still trying to get the basics down and haven't had the inclination to try it just yet - I'd rather learn the old fashioned, slow way first and then the quick and dirty later.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Curse or Beers is a commission painter over on The Warhammer Forum and does something like this as well, up close the models aren't that great, but across a unit or army, it looks amazing.

Here are some links to his threads:

http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=45082&start=0

PV, does the effect end up something like this? I think me might spray black, base coat, then spray white then do washes though.

High Elves: http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=45082&start=0

VC with a lot of source lighting, meant to look like an army at night time:
http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=40191&start=0

I think using an airbrush would work better than spray cans, as you should be able to get a finer mist, in some pics of those army you can see splotchy spray, but you should be able to eliminate that with an airbrush.

Big Willy Style fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 3, 2010

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Yeah ideally youd use an airbrush for your first layers of zenith lighting, but if youre just going for quick TT quality stuff you can use the 2 spray can technique.

Ive never really done either, so its all theory for me.

Cool links, that elf army is ballin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
There two insanely awesome looking armies in this thread, Wood Elves and Demons:

http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14104&sid=15a2004a977c5ee41fca11dc359b5f29

The amount of work he puts into every model is mind boggling.

• Locked thread