Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Dammit, now I'm hoping for a book where Rincewind somehow turns the Ankh Mopork Madhouse into some weird Discworld version of the NHS :(.

After resetting up the tax system, Pratchett needs to hit the NHS, we've gotten the Royal Mint and the Post Office, the health service is the next target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Izz
May 1, 2006

The Lady Sybil Free Hospital has received a few mentions in recent books and I do like Dr Lawn so a book that features it in some way would be welcomed. However I don't think Rincewind being admitted to the Havelock Vetinari Ward wouldn't be a good way in which to have it included.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Izz posted:

The Lady Sybil Free Hospital has received a few mentions in recent books and I do like Dr Lawn so a book that features it in some way would be welcomed. However I don't think Rincewind being admitted to the Havelock Vetinari Ward wouldn't be a good way in which to have it included.

I fear the Bursar has already gone there.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
My job has some unofficial yet awesome benefits:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Mister Roboto posted:

Got account back!

If no one else asks, I will gladly take those and give them to a good home with multiple fans.

They're all yours, send me your details

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 4, 2010

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

SaintFu posted:

How the hell did you get your mitts on that?

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Flipswitch posted:

How the hell did you get your mitts on that?

The library where I work sometimes gets of ARCs from our distributors. Since the library doesn't actually actually do anything with them, they go onto a cart for staff and volunteers to take if they want. Being the guy who opens the boxes when UPS drops them off, I get first crack at them.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

SaintFu posted:

The library where I work sometimes gets of ARCs from our distributors. Since the library doesn't actually actually do anything with them, they go onto a cart for staff and volunteers to take if they want. Being the guy who opens the boxes when UPS drops them off, I get first crack at them.

At this point in time I'm seething with jealousy, you lucky lucky bastard

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Scan it and post it on the internet.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

They're all yours, send me your details

Emailed.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

SaintFu posted:

You lucky bastard!

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

SaintFu posted:

That's cool, but gently caress me that cover is dreadful. The British covers are gorgeous, what's wrong with them..:(

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
The Paul Kidby covers are without reservation the best I've ever seen.

America, get on this you silly fucks.

And sort out your healthcare system while you're at it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Born agoon. posted:

That's cool, but gently caress me that cover is dreadful. The British covers are gorgeous, what's wrong with them..:(

I find it strangest that the US always changes them yet Canada gets the originals.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Mokinokaro posted:

I find it strangest that the US always changes them yet Canada gets the originals.

Why did we ever leave the monarchy? :( :911:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I will gladly keep mediocre book covers in exchange for not having to kiss the queen's rear end.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

withak posted:

I will gladly keep mediocre book covers in exchange for not having to kiss the queen's rear end.

Don't worry, we don't do that either. The monarchy is not as powerful as you'd think.

Plus we get awesome book covers. :colbert:

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Born agoon. posted:

Don't worry, we don't do that either. The monarchy is not as powerful as you'd think.

Blasphemy! You'll need to kiss it twice this year when the Royal rear end does the Christmas rounds.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Born agoon. posted:

Yep, they've got a new gum on the stamps now.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Yep, they've got a new gum on the stamps now.

It smells like cabbages. Not the best idea, but I understand they're very collectible.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
And it was a complete coincidence that the warehouse storing them spontaneously combusted.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

There are people 100 miles away who still can't get the smell out of their clothes.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm so pumped for I Shall Wear Midnight, I think the Tiffany Aching books are some of the best he's written and Wee Free Men is a freaking masterpiece.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm just now finishing up The Colour of Magic and have fallen in love with the Discworld. There's nothing that will stop me from reading the other 37 books now, jeez.

The whole second chapter about Bel-Shamharoth was so awesome!

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

QPZIL posted:

I'm just now finishing up The Colour of Magic and have fallen in love with the Discworld. There's nothing that will stop me from reading the other 37 books now, jeez.

The whole second chapter about Bel-Shamharoth was so awesome!

I envy you, as you have the bulk of his wonderful work ahead. There are ups and downs, but by and large his stuff is just fabulous.

And can I just say that if he's forced to stop writing before the next Lipwig book, I'm gonna be a horribly depressed panda. Well, I'm gonna be depressed anyway when he stops, but even more so, I imagine.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Thanks for the books ONE YEAR LATER!!!!! (five!?)

Their spines shall forever remain uncreased.

pnumoman posted:

I envy you, as you have the bulk of his wonderful work ahead. There are ups and downs, but by and large his stuff is just fabulous.

And can I just say that if he's forced to stop writing before the next Lipwig book, I'm gonna be a horribly depressed panda. Well, I'm gonna be depressed anyway when he stops, but even more so, I imagine.

What's cool about Pratchett is that he steadily gets better, instead of the first book being awesome and then petering out until a lackluster book 15 or whatever causes you to say 'gently caress it'. Normally I'd say 'book 3', but I know goons MUST READ EVERY BOOK in a series, even if they don't like it.

Yeah I'll be happy as long as Raising Taxes comes out. I say that now of course.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SeanBeansShako posted:

I always thought Lewton from Discworld Noir needed his own book.

The one thing I didn't like about Discworld Noir was that Vimes was horribly mischaracterised. I know he's different when he's not the subject (compare The Truth with Night Watch), but it still felt wrong. Was a fun pastiche of film noir though.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

pnumoman posted:

I think Pratchett knows his days are numbered, and since Discworld dies with him, he's probably got a flowchart and plan on how to wrap up the individual storyarcs. Rincewind's adventures are pretty much done, Moist is being groomed to succeed Vetinari, Tiffany has Granny's seal of approval, and Vimes has a family to take care of now.

To be quite honest, I sort of wish The Last Hero had not come out. It would've been the perfect book to end the series on, with the themes of saying goodbye while also starting an (unwritten) new story.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

To be quite honest, I sort of wish The Last Hero had not come out. It would've been the perfect book to end the series on, with the themes of saying goodbye while also starting an (unwritten) new story.

Good to know. Since I've never read it, I'll save it for last for the optimal Discworld :qq: experience.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Mister Roboto posted:

I think Pratchett knows his days are numbered, and since Discworld dies with him, he's probably got a flowchart and plan on how to wrap up the individual storyarcs. Rincewind's adventures are pretty much done, Moist is being groomed to succeed Vetinari, Tiffany has Granny's seal of approval, and Vimes has a family to take care of now.

Vimes doesn't just have a family, he's basically set up the police force for the entire Discworld. I think it was Nightwatch where Vimes said it made him a little happy there were coppers the Disc over who were trained to salute him, but I could be wrong about which book it was in. I know it was in one of the Watch books. If nothing else, Carrot could take over the Watch even if he didn't want to. I'm betting Carrot could find a good replacement if he didn't want the job, though.

As for Moist succeeding Vetinari, I see it more as Vetinari setting up a system where the most qualified people run the city, and the Patrician turns into more of a ceremonial job. Ankh-Morpork has a history of spectacularly poo poo-tastic rulers, best if it was 3 or 4 very qualified people who came up through the ranks that were in charge of the day to day running of the city than just one dude who might be completely insane. The Patrician deals with the ceremonial crap, but the Post Office, the Night Watch, the Taxes, and the Banks are run by people who actually give a poo poo and are less likely to be corrupt.

seaborgium fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 11, 2010

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
I've just reread Thud. :black101:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
^^^ The climax of Thud is my favorite Discworld moment. It's funny, scary, and :black101: all at the same time. ^^^

Thanks, ONE YEAR LATER. Small Gods actually arrived with my textbooks. My little brother is currently going through Unseen Academicals after having read Maurice and His Educated Rodents, and now I've got another book to pester him with :3:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think Vimes might die in Snuff, when Terry announced that as the new Watch book he also said "now remember Snuff has two meanings". First is that powder poo poo you snort and the second is too snuff it or die. Someone is going to die, probably an established character and we will cry.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

thebardyspoon posted:

I think Vimes might die in Snuff, when Terry announced that as the new Watch book he also said "now remember Snuff has two meanings". First is that powder poo poo you snort and the second is too snuff it or die. Someone is going to die, probably an established character and we will cry.

Maybe it'll be Pratchett's take on the Nic Cage masterpiece 8mm? :barf:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

thebardyspoon posted:

Also, y'know, the non-metaphorical version of the second meaning, to do with candles.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Iacen posted:

To this day I still hear, in my inner ear, "Hwhat do you know about a dwarf named Al-Khali?" every time I read that name in a book. That must've been a question I've asked half a million times.

Goddamn that gives me flashbacks.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

thebardyspoon posted:

He'd have to turn it into a loving horror book to find something that can kill Sam Vimes.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm hoping it has something to do with cracking down on the growing Troll drug trade with lots of Detritus and Brick in it.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Nilbop posted:

He'd have to turn it into a loving horror book to find something that can kill Sam Vimes.

Something from the Dungeon Dimensions terrorising Ankh Morpork, and Vimes strides valiantly into the breach, 'Right sonny, you're nicked' echoing back into reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

ibroxmassive posted:

Something from the Dungeon Dimensions terrorising Ankh Morpork, and Vimes strides valiantly into the breach, 'Right sonny, you're nicked' echoing back into reality.

You just know Carrot would follow him and start a game of soccer, Nobbs would walk through and steal some stuff, Colon would boot a tentacle, and Detritus would forget to use Mr. Safety Catch. Every bit of which would be goddamned hilarious.