Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kippling
Jun 24, 2005

And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so?

AB posted:

I'm down to one every three days or so, cold turkey otherwise. Quitting drinking really helped; I think I'm ready to stop completely.

If you're doing one every three days, then you must be pretty much ready to quit. Good for you. Do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good_Vs_Evil
Sep 12, 2006

Brahmin Noodles posted:

I decided a couple days ago that once I ran out of cigarettes I would be done for good. Smoked the last one at around 2:30 this morning and made it to work okay without too much jonesing (I always smoke at least one on the drive to work). Right now however, my body really wants that post-lunch cigarette. Keep me honest, goons!

Granted, I've only be *really* smoking for maybe 6 months, but it's time to stop.

I've found that post-meal is one of the hardest to cope with. That, and during the summer when you're out on the deck having a glass of wine after work and relaxing. Ugh. I've been smoke-free for 6 months now and I still get a pang every once in a while when I'm outside just relaxing.

Out of curiosity, why did you *start* really smoking? I only ask because it wasn't that long ago, so I'm curious if you had a reason or if it was just a 'meh - I'm bored' type thing.

In any event, congratulations! These times are the hardest. Once you make it through these, you'll be in the (relative) clear. Now is the best time to quit since smoking doesn't have quite the stranglehold on you yet.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Good_Vs_Evil posted:

I've found that post-meal is one of the hardest to cope with. That, and during the summer when you're out on the deck having a glass of wine after work and relaxing. Ugh. I've been smoke-free for 6 months now and I still get a pang every once in a while when I'm outside just relaxing.

Out of curiosity, why did you *start* really smoking? I only ask because it wasn't that long ago, so I'm curious if you had a reason or if it was just a 'meh - I'm bored' type thing.

In any event, congratulations! These times are the hardest. Once you make it through these, you'll be in the (relative) clear. Now is the best time to quit since smoking doesn't have quite the stranglehold on you yet.

I started smoking when I was 27. It was because it gave me a little short high, other implements weren't available, and I was starting to head down the road of burnout.

Ambellina
Dec 6, 2005

Those who ride against us will be murdered where they stand
Gave in on my first quitting attempt, had a moment of weakness and bought a pack. This is going to be my last pack forever. I'm getting married next year and starting school to be an esthetician, so I would like to quit before either of those things happen.

I can't imagine anyone ever who would want to be getting a facial, and have the esthetician giving it smell like stale cigarettes.

Congrats to everyone that's quit so far!

Jows
May 8, 2002

HFX posted:

I started smoking when I was 27. It was because it gave me a little short high, other implements weren't available, and I was starting to head down the road of burnout.

Christ, and I thought I had a late start smoking because I started at 18.

Art Floyd
May 14, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
(This might have been mentioned before)
I've found that a great way of gaining control of my smoking is to buy some Snus
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2966904&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

And start doing that instead. You get your nicotine, it's a lot better for your health, and it's actually quite comfortable.
In that way, you have no craving for cigarettes.

I still smoke ciggs from time to time though, especially if I'm in a stressful state.
Like I just buy a pack of ten, but I know that I can just get a box of Snus and regain control if I wanted to stop.

Just saying!

(It's also a lot easier to quit Snus(ing), because it's not as an interesting and introspective ritual as smoking, I often forget to take them unless I feel a craving for nicotine)

Art Floyd fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 3, 2010

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I'm 5.5 days into my quit now and I NEARLY cracked just now. I bought a pack on the way home from work, but they remain unopened in the cupboard. Now the craving has subsided, I think I'm going to keep them there just to remind myself that I don't need them!

I like this feeling. Every time I want to smoke I just remind myself that I would be throwing away a week of my life, for the sake of 3 minutes satisfaction. That, and reminding myself that I don't actually like smoking, has got me through the tough ones so far :D

Well done guys!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Art Floyd posted:

(This might have been mentioned before)
I've found that a great way of gaining control of my smoking is to buy some Snus
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2966904&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

And start doing that instead. You get your nicotine, it's a lot better for your health, and it's actually quite comfortable.
In that way, you have no craving for cigarettes.

I used snus to quit smoking a few weeks ago. It was the easiest thing I've ever done (with the help of snus, of course.) I've been a casual snus user for the past few years while remaining a full-time smoker for the past ten years, but now I've cut cigarettes out entirely with only a very slight craving for the first few days. All oral fixation and craving for a cigarette (as opposed to nicotine) is now entirely gone. My sense of smell and taste have rejuvenated themselves and the smell of others' cigarette smoke reminds me of how awful it feels/tastes in the mouth, so I'm pretty sure I'm done for good.

Unfortunately, anyone opposed to traditional chewing tobacco is going to be turned off by this stuff. I was already intimate with dip, so I had no problems getting into it. Still not a fan of the colored juice that can (temporarily) coat your teeth and embarrass you at work, but it's no worse than the yellowing that comes from constant cigarette smoke inhalation.

enojy fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Aug 4, 2010

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Girlfriend and I both decided to quit smoking today. Completely cold turkey, without any weaning off. I gave away half a pack to a random man on the street while outside my office wanting to smoke it this afternoon, and threw away the one cigarette in a pack that was sitting on our kitchen counter.

I am irritable as gently caress.

ElehemEare fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 6, 2010

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
The recent passing of a $1.40 tax hike on cigarettes in New York has basically done in any lingering desires to smoke. Through college I kept telling myself I would quit after college, after that finished it was when I'd be paying more than $5 a pack, and then once I left Georgia after college and cigarettes went up to $9 a pack, I finally have stopped.

I'll still smoke the occasional cigarette, if I'm with a smoker, but I've effectively cut them out of my day to day. Which is especially tough when I do nothing all day except smoke :420: and play video games. I've done well so far.

And as others have said, Snus is definitely helping a ton. I've actually been enjoying them more than cigarettes as of late, and it's been allowing me to get back to training for soccer.

TheMilkyNutBall
Aug 18, 2008
Just got my wisdom teeth out (and haven't been able to smoke due to the horrible possibility of dry-sockets) and decided to pick up Allen Carr's book. I have read it through half-way and yea although his way of writing is sort of obnoxious, it all kind of makes sense. I probably smoked two packs a week for about three years and I haven't had one for over a week (which I can't yet attribute to the book alone...I am taking painkillers for the operation). Still though, I don't have any cravings and will just stop once they remove my stitches.

If you're wondering if Carr's book seems a little shady and 'scammy', all he does is basically reiterate several logical points over-and-over that eventually get drilled into you're head and kind of negate the feeling of 'sacrifice' when quitting. But it's not just like a broken record, he covers a bunch of different topics.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

ElehemEare posted:

Girlfriend and I both decided to quit smoking today. Completely cold turkey, without any weaning off.

Best way to quit. More people have quit cold turkey than using any other method.

http://www.plosmedicine.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pmed.1000216

Weaning off doesn't work too well because most people compensate by taking more puffs per cigarette and taking longer/deeper gasps.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 8, 2010

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

TheBandOffice posted:

I quit smoking a few months ago and took up Snusing :smug:

Yeah, I'm glad the new flavors of Camels Snus aren't that terrible, they almost taste like General or something I would have to mail order and the portion sizes are larger like euro snus.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
I've been a daily smoker since 1989. 21-Goddamn-Years!!!!

Over the past couple of years though, I can barely smoke a whole cigarette. My consumption hasn't decreased (I still go through anywhere from a pack to 2 packs per day), but I hate the way they taste now. I don't know what changed, or why, but I get 3-5 puffs into a cigarette and I have to put it out.

I'm heading back to work next week (for 2 weeks, offshore) and I'm not bringing a single tobacco product with me. I'm going to be irritable and miserable, but I really do want to come through the other side not having had anything for a couple of weeks. I figure if I can make it that long, I might as well just convince myself that I've quit and never touch the wretched stuff again.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I've been a daily smoker since 1989. 21-Goddamn-Years!!!!

Over the past couple of years though, I can barely smoke a whole cigarette. My consumption hasn't decreased (I still go through anywhere from a pack to 2 packs per day), but I hate the way they taste now. I don't know what changed, or why, but I get 3-5 puffs into a cigarette and I have to put it out.

I'm heading back to work next week (for 2 weeks, offshore) and I'm not bringing a single tobacco product with me. I'm going to be irritable and miserable, but I really do want to come through the other side not having had anything for a couple of weeks. I figure if I can make it that long, I might as well just convince myself that I've quit and never touch the wretched stuff again.

I'll be hoping you quit too, because you've smoked my whole life. Good luck to you.

Flame-san2D
Nov 29, 2002

Then oh, I have to take a breath for a second, before I wreck the impression with my confusing expression, because I know the way I do the things I do might cause a situat
I had Allen Carr's book recommended to me by the W&W goons in my thread over there. I've always been skeptical about quitting because I thought I really enjoyed the habit, saying as I had been a smoker for 12 years, but I went on vacation and took the book with me for a week. I figured what the hell, I'm out of my "stressful" environment, relaxing.. why not?

I've been done for almost three weeks now, and haven't had a single craving or anything like that. I was smoking a cigarette when I finished the book.. and I looked at it, said "This is the last cigarette I will ever smoke," put it out, and the rest is history.

Like I said in the other thread, I still stand by the fact that Allen Carr was an incredibly lovely writer. His books didn't read well at all. But his point got across very clear and his "reverse" brainwashing worked wonders, so here's some mega kudos for that.

In only a couple of weeks I've regained my sense of smell, I can run extended distances no problem, my lifts have gone way up, and I've been in a stupidly good mood. I've also lost weight, and I'm whitening my teeth at the same time so that's pretty nice. :)

I'm looking forward to a very healthy, happy life, and I've got nobody to thank but the goons from my thread & Allen Carr.

So, in short, GBS, good luck to all of you! If you're on the fence about the EASYWAY book, buy it anyway and give it a try, it's only 10bux @ Amazon.

Flame-san2D fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 9, 2010

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Checking in, quit on April 13 so almost four months clean now after having smoked since '88, and no desire to go back. Method was Carr/turkey. Previously I'd done gum, and another time Wellbutrin (or is that the antidepressant name for it, can't be arsed, I was depressed back then so it was a two birds with one stone deal).

I just want to say that the whole idea of weaning yourself off is really at best a form of torture and at worst a way to reinforce to yourself how much you "need" nicotine. I haven't done it, but as far as I can see the snus approach isn't much different than gum, which is also a form of weaning. Suffer through the Carr book despite the car-salesman prose, let it sink in. For me, I smoked after Carr but it definitely wasn't as enjoyable any more. A few months later I read half of the book again and actually quit smoking rather than have to continue reading it.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
10 days into my quit and I feel great. I've gone from being able to run for 15 minutes to running for 45 minutes. I'm spending 2 hours in the gym every other day and it keeps getting easier and easier. I couldn't make myself smoke again; not now I can feel my lungs starting to clear up.

I wasn't a fan of Alan Carr. I read him a year ago and he did pretty much nothing for me at that point. His ideas were good though, and his book definitely put me on the road to quitting. I just had to get there in my own time.

Get the audio book if you want to hear an old man slobbering, slathering and shouting in your ear that YOU NO LONGER NEED TO SMOKE!

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

4-5 cigarettes a day, last one was Friday night; if all goes well last ever. Threw away remaining ones and going to cold turkey it. Bought a bag of Jolly Ranchers for the oral fixation, I think I will be alright if I can make it past two weeks.

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.
Checking in to say that I am 8 months smoke-free via cold turkey as of August 12th. I've gained a bit of weight since then, but I honestly have no desire to smoke cigarettes at all anymore, and quite frankly feel like I never smoked in the first place. Hang in there guys, you can do it. :D

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
I started to pick up smoking last year when I turned 18 and it was one of the things I could legally do because I wasn't a minor any more and blah blah blah. Thanks to reading this thread and seeing the conviction it takes you guys to quit, I've stopped altogether. I was never addicted, but I know I'd never have half the willpower that you guys do. Congratulations to everyone who's made the decision to quit; you guys are doing a difficult but totally amazing thing. Hang in there. :)

Good_Vs_Evil
Sep 12, 2006

Tshirt Ninja posted:

I started to pick up smoking last year when I turned 18 and it was one of the things I could legally do because I wasn't a minor any more and blah blah blah. Thanks to reading this thread and seeing the conviction it takes you guys to quit, I've stopped altogether. I was never addicted, but I know I'd never have half the willpower that you guys do. Congratulations to everyone who's made the decision to quit; you guys are doing a difficult but totally amazing thing. Hang in there. :)

This is probably the best thing you could have ever done for yourself. Congratulations on learning from the mistakes of others. It's often spoken about, but hardly executed, and you are truly saving yourself a world of hurt.

I'm coming up on 6 months of being smoke-free. I still get cravings here and there, but they pass quickly. It's mostly the times when I know that I should smoke (after meals, hanging out at the campfire with friends and drinking beers, etc.). It has gotten much easier, but it still rears its ugly head sometimes.

DarkenCecil
Mar 25, 2010
Been smoking since I was 18, 25 now. Started off a few a day up to about a pack and a half a day about a year ago when I was traveling. For the past month I've been doing 2 a day, or not buying a pack for a week, then caving in. Wash, rinse, repeat. It's so hard because once I go a few weeks, my body goes "Well gently caress it, another pack ain't gonna kill ya".

I'm even working out now a few times a week and still smoking. Ugh.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

FeloniousDrunk posted:

Checking in, quit on April 13 so almost four months clean now after having smoked since '88, and no desire to go back. Method was Carr/turkey. Previously I'd done gum, and another time Wellbutrin (or is that the antidepressant name for it, can't be arsed, I was depressed back then so it was a two birds with one stone deal).

I just want to say that the whole idea of weaning yourself off is really at best a form of torture and at worst a way to reinforce to yourself how much you "need" nicotine. I haven't done it, but as far as I can see the snus approach isn't much different than gum, which is also a form of weaning. Suffer through the Carr book despite the car-salesman prose, let it sink in. For me, I smoked after Carr but it definitely wasn't as enjoyable any more. A few months later I read half of the book again and actually quit smoking rather than have to continue reading it.

For me, not smoking cigarettes is the point. I've "quit" smoking a lot of times. For now, I'm satisfied with being addicted to snus.

Nedsmaster
Mar 9, 2006

smoke brown
black for black
I quit smoking completely, and I know this is like "famous last words" but from time to time when I go out and party, I will still have one cigarette. In the last couple months since I quit, I've had about 5 cigarettes at random parties. I am smarter now though and I have willpower, I go 2-3 weeks between each one I party. I know it's inherently bad for you, but it can't be as bad as 10 a day. The only thing I'm concerned about is if this is loving up my body's ability to heal. I worry that if I go 3 weeks without smoking and smoke 1 cigarette, I'm back to being cancerous again. I'm also overly paranoid though, as you can see. Can anyone comment on this?

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007

Nedsmaster posted:

I quit smoking completely, and I know this is like "famous last words" but from time to time when I go out and party, I will still have one cigarette. In the last couple months since I quit, I've had about 5 cigarettes at random parties. I am smarter now though and I have willpower, I go 2-3 weeks between each one I party. I know it's inherently bad for you, but it can't be as bad as 10 a day. The only thing I'm concerned about is if this is loving up my body's ability to heal. I worry that if I go 3 weeks without smoking and smoke 1 cigarette, I'm back to being cancerous again. I'm also overly paranoid though, as you can see. Can anyone comment on this?

Smoking once every 3 weeks isn't going to harm you. But how long do you think it will stay at that level?

It's way to early for me to be taking the high ground, but the way I see it is if you've truly quit smoking then you don't actually want to smoke anymore.

If you are spending your whole life preventing yourself from having a cig then you're just torturing yourself. Read the Carr book, identify why you want to quit and make the decision never to do it again.

Why, at this point, would a single cig be a treat? To me it would be a huge worry because I'd know that eventually it would lead to another...and another...and another.

Flame-san2D
Nov 29, 2002

Then oh, I have to take a breath for a second, before I wreck the impression with my confusing expression, because I know the way I do the things I do might cause a situat

frozenpeas posted:

Smoking once every 3 weeks isn't going to harm you. But how long do you think it will stay at that level?

It's way to early for me to be taking the high ground, but the way I see it is if you've truly quit smoking then you don't actually want to smoke anymore.

If you are spending your whole life preventing yourself from having a cig then you're just torturing yourself. Read the Carr book, identify why you want to quit and make the decision never to do it again.

Why, at this point, would a single cig be a treat? To me it would be a huge worry because I'd know that eventually it would lead to another...and another...and another.

That's the big one, yep.

The other thing is that even JUST ONE CIGARETTE can be the one that sets of the cancer in your lungs, man. I'm not trying to shock tactic you or anything Nedsmaster, but yeah. The point of stopping smoking isn't to stop and start again randomly, it's to stop for good so you don't die a painful loving death. v:unsmith:v

Get the Carr book and read it, like frozen said. If you've already "stopped," then obviously you're ready to quit anyway. You just need a bit more structure.

Nedsmaster
Mar 9, 2006

smoke brown
black for black
Good advice you guys, but I guess I left out a piece of important information.

I don't smoke cigarettes anymore, but I am an avid e-cigarette user (I post in that thread too). If you don't know, e-cigarettes are health free vapor tools that come in a variety of flavors. You order the flavors in the desired strength of nicotine. I get 14mg nicotine, which is "Low". For every 1 milliliter, there's 14mg nicotine, and 1ml is supposed to be equatable to a "pack" of 20 cigarettes. This evens out to .7mg of nicotine per "vape session" with the e-cig, which is even less than a Marlboro Light.

So yeah, I quit smoking a while back, and I occasionally hit the e-cigarette for my nicotine fix. Most of the times I think cigarettes taste gross now, but sometimes when I'm drunk I'll opt to have one. Like I said, I've smoked like 4-5 cigarettes in the past month and a half or so. The risk of me getting re-addicted to cigarettes isn't really a factor because I'm still addicted to nicotine anyways, with the e-cig. I am just more concerned about my lungs healing now, and I wasn't sure if smoking a real cigarette every 2 weeks would immediately ruin all my progress and put my lungs back into "hosed up shape", despite weeks of cessation. Because if it is, I'll stop smoking them altogether.

fyo
Mar 9, 2007
smugly conventional

Nedsmaster posted:

Good advice you guys, but I guess I left out a piece of important information.

I don't smoke cigarettes anymore, but I am an avid e-cigarette user (I post in that thread too). If you don't know, e-cigarettes are health free vapor tools that come in a variety of flavors. You order the flavors in the desired strength of nicotine. I get 14mg nicotine, which is "Low". For every 1 milliliter, there's 14mg nicotine, and 1ml is supposed to be equatable to a "pack" of 20 cigarettes. This evens out to .7mg of nicotine per "vape session" with the e-cig, which is even less than a Marlboro Light.

So yeah, I quit smoking a while back, and I occasionally hit the e-cigarette for my nicotine fix. Most of the times I think cigarettes taste gross now, but sometimes when I'm drunk I'll opt to have one. Like I said, I've smoked like 4-5 cigarettes in the past month and a half or so. The risk of me getting re-addicted to cigarettes isn't really a factor because I'm still addicted to nicotine anyways, with the e-cig. I am just more concerned about my lungs healing now, and I wasn't sure if smoking a real cigarette every 2 weeks would immediately ruin all my progress and put my lungs back into "hosed up shape", despite weeks of cessation. Because if it is, I'll stop smoking them altogether.

I only feel comfortable saying this because I know I've sounded just like you countless times, but you are being absolutely ridiculous. The only rational advice that this thread can give you is to cut out nicotine entirely. Even if you can find some nicotine replacement loophole that allows you to take nicotine without any (yet known) health effects, the fact of the matter is that when you're addicted to nicotine all it does 90% of the time is take away the cravings/irritability. Meanwhile you're stuck relying on this little plastic device day to day like someone out of a dystopian movie.

I'd love to be able to find some magic method where I can enjoy cigarettes once in awhile without worrying about messing up my health, but it just isn't going to happen.

Nedsmaster
Mar 9, 2006

smoke brown
black for black

fyo posted:

I only feel comfortable saying this because I know I've sounded just like you countless times, but you are being absolutely ridiculous. The only rational advice that this thread can give you is to cut out nicotine entirely. Even if you can find some nicotine replacement loophole that allows you to take nicotine without any (yet known) health effects, the fact of the matter is that when you're addicted to nicotine all it does 90% of the time is take away the cravings/irritability. Meanwhile you're stuck relying on this little plastic device day to day like someone out of a dystopian movie.

I'd love to be able to find some magic method where I can enjoy cigarettes once in awhile without worrying about messing up my health, but it just isn't going to happen.

You have an opinion, but e-cigarettes really aren't just like the patch or anything. In fact, you pretty much described them well here - "I'd love to be able to find some magic method where I can enjoy cigarettes once in awhile without worrying about messing up my health."

There's a pretty big GBS thread about them, and the E-Cigarette Forum has over 40,000 members that swear by them. They really do help you quit smoking, on both the chemical and psychological fronts. Most people do what I do - you have some liquid with nicotine and some that is nicotine-free, so you can still have the oral fixation without the chemicals. You gradually taper off. Regardless of whether or not you think this isn't a good way to stop smoking, a large number of people can testify that it is.

Just saying. But I do agree with your ultimate point, that the final goal is to be off nicotine for good.

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
I bummed cigs occasionally but never thought I would get into the habit for real (Ha!). A while back I ended up buying my own packs for a couple of months. I'm a college student and do a lot of walking around campus so pretty much any time outside became an excuse to have a cigarette. I kinda suspected I was getting carried away when I stepped outside frequently for study breaks... I was probably going through about a pack a week but it would definitely ramp up a lot when I was studying. I haven't bought my own pack in about 2 months but will still bum cigarettes occasionally. Quitting really wasn't difficult once I yelled at myself a lot but I can easily see it becoming a habit linked to almost any activity.

Good luck to those out there trying to quit!

fyo
Mar 9, 2007
smugly conventional

Nedsmaster posted:

You have an opinion, but e-cigarettes really aren't just like the patch or anything. In fact, you pretty much described them well here - "I'd love to be able to find some magic method where I can enjoy cigarettes once in awhile without worrying about messing up my health."

There's a pretty big GBS thread about them, and the E-Cigarette Forum has over 40,000 members that swear by them. They really do help you quit smoking, on both the chemical and psychological fronts. Most people do what I do - you have some liquid with nicotine and some that is nicotine-free, so you can still have the oral fixation without the chemicals. You gradually taper off. Regardless of whether or not you think this isn't a good way to stop smoking, a large number of people can testify that it is.

Just saying. But I do agree with your ultimate point, that the final goal is to be off nicotine for good.

I actually came back to the thread to edit my post, which I'll admit was a little extreme. If you've found a method that has helped you go get off of the deadly variety of cigarettes, then that is good.

That said, I'm all too familiar with the line of thinking where you try and rationalize one cigarette once in awhile, and in my experience it's always led me right back to half a pack a day. In that respect I don't think anyone here can condone smoking cigarettes, no matter how infrequently. Not to mention that it's a bad idea to be putting forth in a thread where people are looking for support to cut out nicotine entirely.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

Nedsmaster posted:

I dunno man, it sounds like lot of dragging things out and rationalization to the degree that a whole new thing has been invented to sustain something that doesn't make any drat sense to begin with. What's the objective? If you want to quit, then quit. If you want to smoke, then you aren't ready to quit, so read Carr again. Kind-of-but-not-really smoking (i.e. ingesting nicotine by whatever method other than smoking) is just fooling yourself since nicotine addiction is the real issue. If you forgot your E-Cig behind when you went on vacation in No E-Cig Land, would you bite the bullet or would you just kind of try to keep it down to three maybe four bummed smokes a day? When you came back home, would it be smokes or robo-smokes? And don't get me started on the weird fetishization of the E-Cig paraphernalia...

Ugh, I hate that I just wrote all that; I always hated preachy ex-smokers and now I'm turning into one at the young age of four months. Really I'm just saying that I tried weaning off with whatever method a bunch of times and it never worked and I have strong doubts that this new technological approach is any better. Just chucking out the smokes and hiding the ashtrays has worked way better. For me.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Nedsmaster posted:

E-cig loophole.

The health effects of nicotine by itself are not well known, but nicotine is believed to cause hardening of the arteries and plaque build up.

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

XK posted:

The health effects of nicotine by itself are not well known, but nicotine is believed to cause hardening of the arteries and plaque build up.

Also, it can affect your sperm count which you should probably look into if you ever plan on having kids.

Nedsmaster
Mar 9, 2006

smoke brown
black for black
That's an interesting topic, actually. How bad is nicotine by itself? From what I've read, nicotine risks are similar to someone that drinks caffeine daily. However, nicotine addiction is usually frowned upon because typically the only source of it is tobacco. I mean I know it can't be good for you, but how many of those risks (like sperm count, for example) are due to just nicotine and not the carcinogens in the smoke as well?

Regardless, you guys are all right. The whole point is to get off nicotine, I just use the e-cigarette because it's basically the "middle ground." Yes, there are health risks, but compared to actually smoking they are minimal. Keep in mind it's only water vapor with flavoring and pure nicotine added by request.

I just think smoking is a psychological addiction as well. There are a fair amount of people on the e-cigarette forum that have quit nicotine entirely, yet still vape their e-cigarettes with zero nicotine liquid just because they enjoy the sensation and oral fixation of "smoking." Is that really that bad?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Nedsmaster posted:

I just think smoking is a psychological addiction as well. There are a fair amount of people on the e-cigarette forum that have quit nicotine entirely, yet still vape their e-cigarettes with zero nicotine liquid just because they enjoy the sensation and oral fixation of "smoking." Is that really that bad?

Yeah but how often?

I have a shower everyday because I like it/want to. Nothing to do with being addicted.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

frozenpeas posted:

This is just a form of self-bargaining. You're essentially rewarding yourself for good behavior. It cannot not last, failure is practically built into the process. Eventually you will have a bad day and not feel worthy of your reward but want it anyways, this will cause you to break down and buy a pack. Quitting smoking is easy(after the first few weeks) 99% of the time, its the 1% where your willpower happens to be low and temptation level is high.

I know people who can smoke socially, the difference is that they have never bought their own packs and only smoke due to social opportunity. If you have ever purchased your own pack of cigarettes and smoked them consistently, you can NEVER belong that group of people. There will always be some wiseass who pops in and says that he has done it for years and blah blah, don't worry, he'll be back in this thread eventually with a different tune :)

Anyways point is, don't bargain with yourself. It just leads to smoking again.

quote:

Yeah but how often?

I have a shower everyday because I like it/want to. Nothing to do with being addicted.

You can't compare a dependency with hygiene. It's all up to individual goals, if someone wants to be free of external dependencies that cost money then I suggest quitting entirely without any assistance beyond proven, timed methods. If money and the idea of going from one addiction to a dependency is fine then there are alternative methods like e-cigs. Personally I don't approve of them but thats simply because I wanted to quit smoking, not substitute smoking for something else.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Well, for the first week of quitting I had maybe only two or three cigarettes, these were with my girlfriend just after sexual relations so I figured it was a bit of a treat, but since she went back to CT, I haven't had a single one, and that was about one week ago.

So in the last two weeks, I've had about three cigarettes, with all of them in the beginning of the timeframe.

This may or may not be as long as I've gone before.

e:

KingEup posted:

I'm confused by this, what are you saying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu
A note to those of you with partners: I don't smoke, never have, but my boyfriend is quitting right now, and to encourage him not to backslide we've struck a deal in which, for every craving he resists, he gets 10 minutes of "topless time" with me. It seems to be working, but at this rate I may as well throw out all my shirts. Basically, you guys might find it helpful to get your partners involved somehow, perhaps in a similar incentive program.

• Locked thread