Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Sarthek posted:

Oh, that one's easy: my old radiator was taking a political science class and got a bit carried away with itself after a lecture on segregation.

I know that can happen, I've just never actually seen it before. Wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

frozenphil posted:

The package will be available soon, probably this fall. It comes with the complete engine assembly with all the front end accessories as well as the engine harness. Should run around $8k if the previous offerings are any indication.

From Jalopnik, just the crate motor has landed at $7k:
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=11829
No ECU or harness, or even an alternator.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

CombatWombat posted:

The article is pretty dumb. It doesn't qualify WHY it beats these nebulous '$150,000 European sports cars,' (of which it names none, other than referencing that the current V8 makes more power than a first-gen Viper or 360 Modena--both of which are quite outdated) and it's just a gushy piece of feel-good crap for Detroit residents about 'MERICAN CARS.
It reads like it was written by the American version of Troy Queef.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

kimbo305 posted:

That would be totally awesome, I wonder if it would fit easily into a 99-04 model Stang?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Sounds about right for the $8k range for the version with the ECU and accessories then.

kalvick posted:

That would be totally awesome, I wonder if it would fit easily into a 99-04 model Stang?

I don't see why it wouldn't. The external dimensions on the Coyote are basically the same as the DOHC 4.6 that was available in the New Edge Mustangs. You wouldn't even need different motor mounts as the bolt holes are in the same place.

412hp in a stripped New Edge would be a 10second ride with a good driver (NMRA Factory Stock go bottom 11s with ~350hp).

turnerburna
Jan 11, 2005
Cobra Commander
I wonder if it would even be worth it for a 3v since you can get to 550hp with the stock bottom end and a supercharger.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

turnerburna posted:

I wonder if it would even be worth it for a 3v since you can get to 550hp with the stock bottom end and a supercharger.

Probably not with the stock Coyote, but once Ford offers a version with forged internals it would be.

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

frozenphil posted:

Probably not with the stock Coyote, but once Ford offers a version with forged internals it would be.

What's the possibilty of that happening?

turnerburna
Jan 11, 2005
Cobra Commander
It will probably happen since they already offer the alumninator

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Oxytocin posted:

What's the possibilty of that happening?

I'd be more surprised if they didn't offer a forged version.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Surprising no one, the BOSS 302 has been confirmed:

http://blog.cardomain.com/2010/05/20/boss-302-mustang-confirmed-could-be-a-2011-or-2012-model/

quote:

Rumors of a street-legal Boss 302 Mustang have been circulating for months and they really kicked into high gear when GM made the announcement that a Camaro Z28 is in the pipeline. Details are still sketchy and no formal horsepower numbers have been released, but we’re sure there’s going to be a line of Ford faithfuls with cash in hand once these babies get produced.

TheMustangNews.com is reporting that the Boss model would receive a revised intake manifold and “other modifications” to bump horsepower over base GTs. According to their story, the Boss 302R race cars are cranking out 450 hp so we’d expect the production engine, with emission controls and other legally necessary items to be somewhere in the 425-430hp range, but who the hell really knows?

The subtle hint that was given about the car came from Mark Fields, Ford’s President of the Americas during a dealer meeting. He told those in attendance that the boys back in Dearborn were cooking up a new special edition of the Mustang that he couldn’t directly comment on, then a 1970 Boss 302 rolled across the stage.

We’ll take ours in the same grabber orange Parnelli Jones and his cohorts tore up Trans-Am with back in the early 1970s.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

frozenphil posted:

Surprising no one, the BOSS 302 has been confirmed:

...on May 20th

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

The Third Man posted:

...on May 20th

Yeah, I just missed it. I don't really look for automotive news on cardomain.com. How about something newer and of more interest to a wider audience?

Vortech's V3 S-trim kit will be out very soon. The V3 is a self contained unit, so no hole required in the oil pan, and it comes with an air to air intercooler. Vortech was also able to keep the factory airbox, a requirement if you want a CARB EO number.

Horsepower numbers aren't out yet, but most people in the know are saying 550hp @ 6-7psi.

Livernois has dropped the first forged rod and pistons on the market as well. You can keep your factory oil squirters and the pistons come coated on the top and skirt. They currently only have 10:1 and 11.5:1 compression ratios on the shelf, but they can make you whatever you want. Street price looks to be $1250.

BaronW
Apr 16, 2007

Why yes, I HAVE seen uhaul.jpg
If I'm ordering a V6 automatic will the 3.31s have a significant drop in MPG? My commute is ~52 miles round trip cruising at highway speed in the morning and hellish stop and go on the way back. (I basically drive the entire 105 freeway in LA)

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

BaronW posted:

If I'm ordering a V6 automatic will the 3.31s have a significant drop in MPG? My commute is ~52 miles round trip cruising at highway speed in the morning and hellish stop and go on the way back. (I basically drive the entire 105 freeway in LA)

We talked about this a little bit back. In short, no. These numbers are for the v8, but there isn't much difference between them gearing wise I don't believe. From page 4:

frozenphil posted:

2) At 70mph in 6th gear you'll be turning 1988 RPM with the manual or 2110 RPM with the automatic. This is based off of the stock 18" tire's 27.3" diameter, 3.55 rear gear, and a 6th gear ratio of .65 for the manual and .69 for the automatic.

Tire height and transmission ratios are taken from here, tire size conversion was done here, and gear calculations were done here in the "Transmission Final Gear Ratio Manual Entry" section.

With the 3.73s in a manual (can't get them in the automatic from the factory) you'll be turning 2089 RPM in 6th gear. This is why we tell people "don't fear the gear". We're not in 1968 anymore. Transmissions have more than 3 speeds as well as overdrive. Even 4.56 gears will only spin 2554 RPM in 6th at 70mph.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

BaronW posted:

Any difference in mileage due to the gearing will be infinitesimal.

BaronW
Apr 16, 2007

pienipple posted:

Any difference in mileage due to the gearing will be infinitesimal.

Will the acceleration improvement be worth $400, then? :confused:

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

BaronW posted:

Will the acceleration improvement be worth $400, then? :confused:

That's really up to you, isn't it?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
What would the acceleration difference be between the different gearings?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

A.o.D. posted:

What would the acceleration difference be between the different gearings?
While lower gearing should give you better acceleration, I guess you also have to consider where it'll put your shift points - for example, a 0-60 sprint is going to be hampered if you choose gearing that means you need to shift into third to do it.

Also, it depends where you want the acceleration. For example, I'd like gearing which would give me the maximum acceleration on a third gear run from 50mph, as that's the most common overtaking or joining-from-sliproad situation I find myself in.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

InitialDave posted:

While lower gearing should give you better acceleration, I guess you also have to consider where it'll put your shift points - for example, a 0-60 sprint is going to be hampered if you choose gearing that means you need to shift into third to do it.

Also, it depends where you want the acceleration. For example, I'd like gearing which would give me the maximum acceleration on a third gear run from 50mph, as that's the most common overtaking or joining-from-sliproad situation I find myself in.

and which gearing would that be?

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
Just bought a 2001 GT, figured it was time for a fun car after owning a 93 Grand Am, a 98 Dakota, and an 04 Civic. The interior is pretty crappy but I just love the V8 sound.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Fastlane's turbo 5.0 is on the dyno. 534rwhp @ 5psi! Just dumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04V_f9hOCCU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
drat, who needs a GT500 when a bolt on turbo kit is pushing 600+ hp from the engine! With that modest of boost I assume the stock engine handles it without problems?

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

BaronW posted:

A 3.31 is the biggest baby gear on earth. Fortunately a V6 automatic Mustang is now a respectable choice of Mustang compared to past offerings. If you're buying the 6 for the gas mileage to performance factor I'd spend the $400. It's really going to wake the car up.

Alternatively if you have cold feet on the situation you can always buy whatever gear (2.73?) that comes in it and then be utterly disappointed. It's about ~$200 for a gear kit and about ~$350 to have someone install it correctly. Going this route you can get a higher gear than a 3.31 (which still is pretty boring.) Even with a 4.10 the car will probably pull 60 by the end of second gear. It's all dependant on how much throttle you're giving it.

I'd recommend going to a 3.73 minimum myself down the road. The mileage difference is not a factor at all. All that you'll really feel is the fact that the car is a hell-of-a lot more responsive. I posted a chart a page or two back ago that looked at different gear ratios / speeds / RPMs on an SN-95. You can get a pretty good feel there.

Basically what I'm saying is go bigger by all means. A 4.10 in a manual feels like more shifting but in an automatic it'll just feel like way more power since you're not inconvenienced by the shorter gears at all.

2004 GT:

code:
------------------------------------3.27's--------------3.73's------------4.10's 
--------------------------{1st-----41.49---------------36.37------------33.09 
--------------------------{2nd-----70.12---------------61.47------------55.92
(MPH @ 6,000 rpm)---------{3rd-----106.24--------------93.14------------84.73 
--------------------------{4th-----140.24--------------122.94----------111.85
--------------------------{5th-----226.19--------------198.29----------180.40 

------------------------------------3.27's--------------3.73's------------4.10's 
--------------------------{1st------39.76---------------34.86------------31.71 
--------------------------{2nd------67.20---------------58.91------------53.59 
MPH @ redline-------------{3rd------101.81--------------89.26------------81.20 
(5,750 rpm)---------------{4th------134.39--------------117.82----------107.19 
--------------------------{5th------216.76--------------190.03----------172.88 

--------------------------{1st-----36.30---------------31.83------------28.95 
--------------------------{2nd-----61.35---------------53.79------------48.93 
MPH @ peak HP-------------{3rd-----92.96---------------81.50------------74.14 
(5,250 rpm)---------------{4th-----122.71--------------107.57-----------97.87 
--------------------------{5th-----197.91--------------173.51-----------157.85 

--------------------------{1st-----27.66---------------24.25------------22.06 
--------------------------{2nd----46.75---------------40.98------------37.28 
MPH @ peak torque---------{3rd-----70.83--------------62.09------------56.49 
(4,000 rpm)---------------{4th-----93.49---------------81.96------------74.56 
--------------------------{5th-----150.79-------------132.20-----------120.27 

---------------------------3.27's-------------3.73's-------------4.10's 
rpm @ 80 MPH in 5th gear---{2,122-------------2,421--------------2,661 
rpm @ 60 MPH in 5th gear---{1,591-------------1,815--------------1,996 
rpm @ 40 MPH in 5th gear---{1,061-------------1,210--------------1,331 
rpm @ 40 MPH in 4th gear---{1,711-------------1,952--------------2,146 
With a 3.73 your 0-60 pull is still going to be done in second. This isn't a Cobra Jet. Ford isn't going to overgear its 6 cylinder. Again, different cars but really what people should see is the classic saying, don't fear the gear.

Q_res posted:

This seems like a good time to forward a question I've been mulling over. Is there really any reason to get the 3.55s in the GT over the 3.73s considering they're the same price?

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will pop up and find a reason against it but I'm going to say nope. Maybe I'm just stuck in the SN-95/II days but any naturally aspirated car deserves the biggest gear possible if you're looking for performance. When looking at forced induction it's a different story. Let the motor do the work and not the gear (to a point. I'm not ever going to run a 4.56 on my setup.) Not to mention no one is ever going to go in your car and say "hey, you have too big of a gear!" Instead you'll hear, "holy hell, this pulls like hell." All you're losing is top speed and you're probably never going to notice the car only does 170 mph instead of 210 or something ridiculous.

VibrioCholera fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 8, 2010

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
This seems like a good time to forward a question I've been mulling over. Is there really any reason to get the 3.55s in the GT over the 3.73s considering they're the same price?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

drat, who needs a GT500 when a bolt on turbo kit is pushing 600+ hp from the engine! With that modest of boost I assume the stock engine handles it without problems?

Yeah, their car is all stock outside of the turbo kit. That A/F ratio on the dyno sheet scares me, but I'm sure they'll tune that out soon.

Q_res posted:

Not really. The 3.73s make the most use of the transmission's gearing and the engine's RPM capabilities.

BaronW
Apr 16, 2007

VibrioCholera posted:

A 3.31 is the biggest baby gear on earth. Fortunately a V6 automatic Mustang is now a respectable choice of Mustang compared to past offerings. If you're buying the 6 for the gas mileage to performance factor I'd spend the $400. It's really going to wake the car up.

Alternatively if you have cold feet on the situation you can always buy whatever gear (2.73?) that comes in it and then be utterly disappointed. It's about ~$200 for a gear kit and about ~$350 to have someone install it correctly. Going this route you can get a higher gear than a 3.31 (which still is pretty boring.) Even with a 4.10 the car will probably pull 60 by the end of second gear. It's all dependant on how much throttle you're giving it.

I'd recommend going to a 3.73 minimum myself down the road. The mileage difference is not a factor at all. All that you'll really feel is the fact that the car is a hell-of-a lot more responsive. I posted a chart a page or two back ago that looked at different gear ratios / speeds / RPMs on an SN-95. You can get a pretty good feel there.

Basically what I'm saying is go bigger by all means. A 4.10 in a manual feels like more shifting but in an automatic it'll just feel like way more power since you're not inconvenienced by the shorter gears at all.

With a 3.73 your 0-60 pull is still going to be done in second. This isn't a Cobra Jet. Ford isn't going to overgear its 6 cylinder. Again, different cars but really what people should see is the classic saying, don't fear the gear.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will pop up and find a reason against it but I'm going to say nope. Maybe I'm just stuck in the SN-95/II days but any naturally aspirated car deserves the biggest gear possible if you're looking for performance. When looking at forced induction it's a different story. Let the motor do the work and not the gear (to a point. I'm not ever going to run a 4.56 on my setup.) Not to mention no one is ever going to go in your car and say "hey, you have too big of a gear!" Instead you'll hear, "holy hell, this pulls like hell." All you're losing is top speed and you're probably never going to notice the car only does 170 mph instead of 210 or something ridiculous.

Thank you, this is exactly the answer I was looking for. :)

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Let's say 3 years from now I'm looking at a used 2011 Mustang GT. How can I know how the car is geared if the previous owner doesn't have any information?

DoomCenturion
Aug 4, 2007

drat space alien demons killed my rabbit

johnny sack posted:

Let's say 3 years from now I'm looking at a used 2011 Mustang GT. How can I know how the car is geared if the previous owner doesn't have any information?

You should be able to find out by VIN number. I have this link saved that you ought to be able to drop any old Ford VIN into:
http://services.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1ZVBP8CH8A5114883

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
Does Ford still stamp the pumpkin with the gear on it? I know on the SN95 you could find your original gear ratio by looking at the stamping on the rear end housing and it would say what the car had. (On the 8.8" and 7.5" rear ends. Cobras were all 3.23 I believe. It was the 6 and GT that came in random gears). It will end in like #AS#AAS##355 and you'd be like "Oh, I have a 3.55." Something like that. It's stamped on there pretty clearly.

No idea what's going on here:

http://mustangattitude.com/mustang/2011mustang.shtml

Has some information on 2011 VIN.

VibrioCholera fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 9, 2010

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004
Last September I bought a 2010 V6 (Automatic), and after coming from a 1984 5.0L V8 I'm obviously missing the power a bit. I've been looking into making some upgrades to squeeze some more performance (specifically acceleration/lower-end) out of it since I'll theoretically be driving this for a few more years now.

From what I've read the first/simplest upgrade is adding a cold air intake (possibly also buying a tuner to tune it afterwards.) Does this make sense?

Also, should I expect any performance increase from catback dual exhaust, or do I need to run a whole new exhaust system from the headers back to see anything out of it?

Thanks!

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Ugg boots posted:

Last September I bought a 2010 V6 (Automatic), and after coming from a 1984 5.0L V8 I'm obviously missing the power a bit. I've been looking into making some upgrades to squeeze some more performance (specifically acceleration/lower-end) out of it since I'll theoretically be driving this for a few more years now.

From what I've read the first/simplest upgrade is adding a cold air intake (possibly also buying a tuner to tune it afterwards.) Does this make sense?

Also, should I expect any performance increase from catback dual exhaust, or do I need to run a whole new exhaust system from the headers back to see anything out of it?

Thanks!

Don't bother with anything less than forced induction on the pre-2011 Mustang v6.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

frozenphil posted:

Don't bother with anything less than forced induction on the pre-2011 Mustang v6.

Awesome, I guess at 5 grand for a supercharger I might as well have bought the V8, huh? :(

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Ugg boots posted:

Awesome, I guess at 5 grand for a supercharger I might as well have bought the V8, huh? :(

The complete kit is $3300 from superchargersonline.com; the tuner kit is $2700.

If you troll the classified forums on corral.net and modularfords.com you'll eventually find someone selling one used for under $1500 for the complete kit or under $1000 for the tuner kit.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

Ugg boots posted:

Thanks!

Everything you do to a V6 is sort of blah pre-2011. A catback is going to do nothing but make noise. You're really not going to ever feel a difference. Would headers, an x-pipe, and catback setup do something? Yeah. For sure. Is it worth the money? That's up to you.

Honestly since we're all talking GEARZZZ the biggest boost in the seat is going to be a big gear in the rear end. Everything else (short of forced induction / nitrous options) is just going to nickle and dime you to living hell and you're never going to be satisfied.

Since you're looking at cold air intakes make sure you pick up a decent one. Many of them actually hurt performance due to wicked heatsoak. With a true CAI that goes through the fender this is less of a problem but many of them love heatsoak. (BBK, sup?) As mentioned before, troll mustang forums. Corral.net is huge so always stay on top of their classified section since it's big. Modularfords.com is more detailed and the dudes there will explain to you why something being half a millimeter off is going to make you lose .05MPG and .08 Horsepower. You can also cruise ModularMustangs.com as well. Community is pretty large and there's a ton of people who have no idea what the hell so if you go there the air intake recommendation thread will be huge. (As will the 14 other ones posted under the sticky since people can't read.)

Personally I'd recommend C&L Intake parts for anything you're doing intake wise. They make quality products and you really can't go wrong with them. If you want a cheaper option I'd recommend the K&N FIPK II Air Intake kit. It's going to replace your stock tubing and give you a cone filter with a heat shield around it. If anything it sounds cool.

edit: I totally forgot about JLT. :(

VibrioCholera fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 10, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

VibrioCholera posted:

Personally I'd recommend C&L Intake parts for anything you're doing intake wise. They make quality products and you really can't go wrong with them. If you want a cheaper option I'd recommend the K&N FIPK II Air Intake kit. It's going to replace your stock tubing and give you a cone filter with a heat shield around it. If anything it sounds cool.

JLT is owned by a fluid dynamics engineer and Mustang owner who got tired of crappy aftermarket cold air induction systems with no engineering behind them. He consistently wins head to head tests in the magazines and is an all around good guy. He actually started out selling his stuff over at modularfords.com out of his garage before demand required him to do it full time.

I like C&L, but JLT flat beats them at every point in the curve and does it for less money. K&N is to be avoided unless you hate your MAF/enjoy spending a lot more money for less power/absolutely must have a brand name that the people at the Sonic cruise in will know.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Ugg boots posted:

Yeah, and if you supercharge a V6(pre-2011), you better plan on buying a complete V8 diff, as you'll splinter the stock 7.5 V6 diff in short order.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

JnnyThndrs posted:

Yeah, and if you supercharge a V6(pre-2011), you better plan on buying a complete V8 diff, as you'll splinter the stock 7.5 V6 diff in short order.

Yeah.

Cars sure would be a lot better if they were like computers and you could decide one day to upgrade the engine for 7 grand or whatever and just throw it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

So I just learned something. Apparently some nut makes an adapter to put any roots/tvs style supercharger that will fit on the '03/'04 Cobra onto the v6 too. For $2800 plus the cost of a tune and cowl hood or GT hood scoop (should be able to pick up a GT hood in your color for under $200 if you troll the classifieds) you can make your v6 sound like a cow falling off a building.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOVxz6PsdJM#t=0m13s