Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Orgophlax posted:

A few pages back I asked for hints on Mass Effect and a few people said to go female renegade. Does this actually gain you something eventually or is it just considered more entertaining?

It doesn't make a difference, gameplay-wise.
Male / female really boils down to which voice-actor you prefer, and they have different romance options but that's about it.
I also wouldn't recommend doing a renegade-only run just because some people find that more entertaining (this really just affects how some dialogues play out and the conclusions to some quests, no major plot-altering stuff). Go with whatever type of Shepard you want to play or just pick whatever dialogue options you feel are most appropriate for a given situation.
There's no harm in making a mixed character that picks both choices equally.
There is one advantage to sticking to a single path (either completely paragon or completely renegade), and that is the fact that some dialogue responses are only available if you have a very high paragon / renegade meter, so using a mix of both may lock you out of a few response options in the game (because you won't have both meters maxed out), but it's nothing that will lock you out of a ton of content or anything.

You should be playing the game for the story, first and foremost, so make your choices according to what YOU feel fits best instead of letting other people tell you how to play :)

EDIT:

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

The better voice actor.

Which is debatable.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Burning Mustache posted:

Which is debatable.
It's not actually. I'm just saying.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

It's not actually. I'm just saying.

Yeah not around here, I know.
You're right and everyone who disagrees is wrong :)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Burning Mustache posted:

I also wouldn't recommend doing a renegade-only run just because some people find that more entertaining (this really just affects how some dialogues play out and the conclusions to some quests, no major plot-altering stuff). Go with whatever type of Shepard you want to play or just pick whatever dialogue options you feel are most appropriate for a given situation.
There's no harm in making a mixed character that picks both choices equally.
There is one advantage to sticking to a single path (either completely paragon or completely renegade), and that is the fact that some dialogue responses are only available if you have a very high paragon / renegade meter, so using a mix of both may lock you out of a few response options in the game (because you won't have both meters maxed out), but it's nothing that will lock you out of a ton of content or anything.

It doesn't block out a ton of content, no, but using charm and intimidate can be pretty fun (intimidate especially) and the only way to reliably do it is to pick one option and stick with it, switching it up kind of gimps you. If you don't care about using charm and intimidate, then no, I suppose there's no harm in it, but if you do, you really shouldn't try to sit on the fence. There's a very fun benefit to maxing out charm or intimidate towards the end that I can't really talk about without spoiling anything but people who know what I'm talking about know what I'm talking about.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I picked up the Strongbad games when they were $5 on Steam a week or two ago, just finished episode 1. If I uninstall Episode 1, will it keep my saves or delete them? I wanna go back and finish doing all the side stuff in Extended mode once I finish the series.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Burning Mustache posted:

And be sure to use Charm/Intimidate whenever you can. They'll boost their corresponding alignment stat (Charm for Paragon, Intimidate for Renegade), and usually net you better rewards and more content in any given situation. I did an entire Paragon run where I used Charm as often as possible, and I was not disappointing once. Which to level and use comes down to preference, but be sure to only level one, as putting upgrades into both is a waste.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Ainsley McTree posted:

It doesn't block out a ton of content, no, but using charm and intimidate can be pretty fun (intimidate especially) and the only way to reliably do it is to pick one option and stick with it, switching it up kind of gimps you. If you don't care about using charm and intimidate, then no, I suppose there's no harm in it, but if you do, you really shouldn't try to sit on the fence. There's a very fun benefit to maxing out charm or intimidate towards the end that I can't really talk about without spoiling anything but people who know what I'm talking about know what I'm talking about.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I absolutely endorse maxing out charm and intimidate (both of them), and mixing responses will limit you with regards to how many points you can spend in them, but the first time I played the game I used a mixed-alignment character and was locked out of maybe 2 or 3 charm / intimidate options throughout the entire game.
My point is that even by remaining on the fence so to speak, you will still be able to spend tons of points in both alignments and I found the mixed responses (and their consequences) to be more rewarding than going full renegade or full paragon in my subsequent playthroughs, that's all I want to put out there :)

tl,dr; I think people should jump into the game and just pick the responses they prefer instead of letting people tell them how to play it because there's not really a huge disadvantage in that :I

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

I got a copy of Fatal Frame 3 on the PS2, but got frustrated trying to play it because the stupid ghosts kept vanishing after I had the viewfinder over them and started reaching for the take picture button. I don't know if that's actually seriously screwing me over or doesn't really matter too much, and if I should be too concerned about it. Basically, what sort of mindset I should have while playing the game is what I'm looking for.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Yeah I replayed through the opening Eden Prime and did all the renegade choices and figured it was suggested just cause it was more "entertaining". But to me, knocking out an insane guy and pulling a gun on a scared civilian for an upgrade just seems wacky for a war hero to be doing.

Last question, is there an external face editor for save games? I know there's one for ME2, but Google doesn't seem to be finding anything for the first one.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I picked up the Strongbad games when they were $5 on Steam a week or two ago, just finished episode 1. If I uninstall Episode 1, will it keep my saves or delete them? I wanna go back and finish doing all the side stuff in Extended mode once I finish the series.

I'm pretty sure it keeps your saves but I've never gone back and checked. I didn't play Strong Bad via steam so I'm not sure.

The Betrayer
Jan 1, 2005

Chunky12345 posted:

Turns out I'm kind of bad at Patapon 1. Any tips for how to play well? I hit Fever good and everything, it just seems like all my dudes can't hit worth poo poo. Is there some way to get more weapons and hats outside of a story mission?

As someone else said, grind the hunting missions for raw materials, use the minigames in camp to upgrade those materials. Grinding the bosses will give you better weapons.

The special Patapons you can make with the higher level materials can't equip hats, but they usually have other boosts. I recommend grinding for a while until you can make a team of all yellows: They require either two level two items, or a level three and a level one. They have fairly good damage and HP.

For team composition, use the archers, spearmen, and the sword-and-board knights. When you can finally make Megapons, swap out the sword-and-board guys. A full ranged team will give you the highest damage possible as well as the flexibility of not having to run your team directly against the enemies.

Once you have the minigame to make stew, never go into battle without stew equipped, preferably the highest level one.

Finally, if you ever have to rescue something, don't set it on fire.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

The Betrayer posted:

Finally, if you ever have to rescue something, don't set it on fire.

This is sound advice in any situation.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If it is PC version of Mass Effect, you should cheat in Paragon and Renegade points. I hate the idea of being blocked out of possible options because the game says I am not at a high enough level to unlock extra slots to fill. It was an rear end in a top hat thing to do when they gave you that admiral type guy who needs about 8 points and you can only get five at that point. I would add all my points to paragon and renegade if I could.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Comic posted:

I'm pretty sure it keeps your saves but I've never gone back and checked. I didn't play Strong Bad via steam so I'm not sure.

As far as I know, all the Telltale games keep their saves in your My Documents folder, so they shouldn't be touched by uninstalling, whether it's via Steam or the non-Steam version's uninstaller.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
How about Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter?

When should I use my Party XP? When I lose and start over?
What combos should I be using?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

How about Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter?

When should I use my Party XP? When I lose and start over?
What combos should I be using?

The limited amount in the wiki might help:

The game is meant to be SOL: Restarted over and over so that you're more powerful. You're not supposed to clear it in one playthrough, so don't bother trying.

Use as little of your Party XP as you possibly can while playing through. If you need 2-3 XP to bump a character up a level, that's fine, but in general, you don't want to use much of it. The idea is that Party XP carries over when you restart, while regular levels don't. When you SOL: Restart, you can apply all that Party XP and make yourself really powerful at the beginning of the game.

Don't touch your Dragon Powers unless you're 100% sure you're going to restart. If the D-Counter gets too high the game is unwinnable, so leave that poo poo alone unless you're planning another run-through.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

It's actually really easy to beat it in one playthrough, you just have to be careful with your items and Dragon powers.

On that note, the only Dragon power worth using is the power up one that multiplies your damage (it stacks).

In terms of combos, just mess around with it and you'll get a feel for how it works. Ryu only has one 'unique' combo attack and you'll figure that out really early on. Nina gets no unique combos, but she can setup glyphs to block enemy movement, these are really, really useful so go nuts with them. Lin gets a ton of special combo attacks, which often just enhance the special effects of her moves (like push, pull, etc). Again just mess with them and you'll get a feel for it.

Remember to keep an eye on the enemy's movement range and try to use your skills (like kick) to push enemies out of range at the end of a turn.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 6, 2010

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It's actually really easy to beat it in one playthrough, you just have to be careful with your items and Dragon powers.

On that note, the only Dragon power worth using is the power up one that multiplies your damage (it stacks).

Specifically, for any boss you want to use dragon powers on, the correct way to do so is D-Dive -> Charge -> Charge -> Strong Attack -> Return to human form. Ending your turn in dragon form costs more of your counter than diving each turn due to the dragon being invincible.

The best way to beat the game on the first run without any SOL nonsense is simply to make a hard save each before each dungeon section, run it, and if you're unhappy with the amount of damage taken/counter used reload and do it again with the knowledge of what's coming up.

On that note, do everything in your power to make each battle as fast and undamaging to you as possible. Get enemies to group together with the lure traps and then hit them with damage traps to lower all their health in one blow (Firebombs are great for this - the enemies will keep trying to approach the lure and will run into the flames, get knocked back, try to approach, get hit by the flames, get knocked back, etc.). Open battles with Lin to put the most distance between the enemies and you, use Nina's magic circles to keep them at distance (enemies will either try to walk around them, using up movement, or try to walk through them, taking damage and also using up movement (ignore any spell description to the contrary, an enemy hit by any magic circle twice is going to stop their movement right then and there), and use Ryu to block/finish off any enemies who get too close. Use select (IIRC) to check the overall map and the enemy locations and turn order to build your tactics. Learn to delay turns to your advantage - Lin can scan enemies to find weaknesses for Nina/Ryu to then exploit, and there's no point to taking Ryu's turn if there's no enemies in range for him, so you might as well delay until the enemies move to see if he gets a target.

A list of all combos in the game are available here. Note that these are the only way to steal in the game, so make sure Lin has a weapon that can perform them at all times.

To give specific advice - any larva-like Genics you fight should be hit with Fire spells (as the scan suggests) to boost the quality of the healing items they drop. On a related note, there is no limit to the amount of items you can use in a turn - if one healing item doesn't get you out of the danger zone for a boss, then use a second. Finally, there are one or two dungeon sections in the labs where you'll encounter Patrollers - scanning them will suggest that fighting them is a bad idea. This is true - killed Patrollers will raise an alarm, spawning several very tough fights in other parts of the lab. The first time through the game, it's a much better idea to avoid the Patrollers entirely. If you need to get by one, tap R1 as Ryu to very briefly use D-Dash as you approach them. Holding it is a waste of your meter - as long as you're dashing at the point of contact, they'll be knocked away and stunned.

That's probably enough to get you going - just do your best to learn how the system works and how you can turn it to your advantage and you should do fine.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Scalding Coffee posted:

If it is PC version of Mass Effect... It was an rear end in a top hat thing to do when they gave you that admiral type guy who needs about 8 points and you can only get five at that point.

The game is designed with replayability in mind. That being said, I think that's the only encounter like that, however if you're playing legit/non modded you will only want to put your points in charm/intimidate so you can leave the rest of said points to place in combat skills, which make a huge difference on Hardcore/Insanity as everyone you fight will have shields and even some regular enemies will have immunities so you'll need to use your powers (and those of your team-mates) intelligently. Depending on how many times you're going to play through the game, the game actually gives you free points in those in an event early in the game, so if you're planning on making multiple replays with a single character, you'll have 3/4 free points in each. To get "everything" (if you're a gaming sperglord/OCD), you'll have to beat the game at least twice to unlock Insanity difficulty mode either way, and you most likely will do it with one character (unless you want a challenge of a level 1 starting insanity run)

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Assassin's Creed 2 Anybody?

I just got to Montereigattoni.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

The complete list of things you need to know about Assassin's Creed 2:

* The game never tells you this, but you can buy/learn new combat moves from the training guy in your villa.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Capsaicin posted:

Upgrade your villa as much as you can; it's amazing how much money you will rake in by mid-game.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

The complete list of things you need to know about Assassin's Creed 2:

* The game never tells you this, but you can buy/learn new combat moves from the training guy in your villa.

Seriously? That's great to know when all I have left to do is about half the feathers. :\

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

Upgrade your villa as much as you can; it's amazing how much money you will rake in by mid-game.

Do this as soon as you can. Pour all your money into the villa first up.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Vidaeus posted:

Do this as soon as you can. Pour all your money into the villa first up.

Also you can't get all the treasures until you upgrade everything so if you're obsessive about treasures like I was then chill out.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Had my fill of Evil Genius, about to try Sim City 4 now, any tips?
For the record, I haven't played any simcity games before, though I played a lot of The Sims (1, 2 & 3), so I'm familiar with the interface.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Dawn of War II and Chaos Rising

Any tips? Is there a pressing reason to ever use the assault marines? My force commander is doing fine in melee but my jetpack boys get killed so fast that I just want to bench the poor guys.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Foxhound posted:

Had my fill of Evil Genius, about to try Sim City 4 now, any tips?
For the record, I haven't played any simcity games before, though I played a lot of The Sims (1, 2 & 3), so I'm familiar with the interface.
It's pretty much essential to get the Network Addon Mod (NAM) in order to have a decent traffic simulation. It also adds a bunch of puzzle piece roads to make things look more pretty if you're willing to spend the time on laying out intricate road maps. If not, the simulator is still a necessity to have.

It's constantly being updated and the latest info can be found here: http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=124&threadid=101537

The only thing you need to download is Network Addon Mod May 2010 - Core Package. Everything else is just extra stuff that'll just confuse you if you've never played a Simcity. Just play it vanilla for a bit to get the hang of it.

Simcity 4 is about building a region, not just one city. There are many city zones within a region that you can build up and they all feed off of each other (provided you have road/rails/etc. connecting them). Don't concentrate on one city. When you first start out, build near the border of the city zone and run connections to the nearby zone. Build up that city for a bit, save and exit to region. Then go to the next door zone that you connected the first to and build it up. Now go back to the first zone and after a bit of calculating you'll see your demand indicators adjust to compensate for what you did in the connected city.

It's all very complicated so I would suggest reading a few of the guide on that Simtropolis I linked. Things like commute time, traffic noise, pollution, crime, etc all effect your Sims and how they build up the city.

Orgophlax fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 8, 2010

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Caufman posted:

Dawn of War II and Chaos Rising

Any tips? Is there a pressing reason to ever use the assault marines? My force commander is doing fine in melee but my jetpack boys get killed so fast that I just want to bench the poor guys.

Only use one melee squad. Assault Marines in Terminator armor are pretty badass, but if they're set up like that, build your FC as ranged. Once you get the Dreadnaught, he's pretty much all you need. The downside to him, however, is you need to waste another accessory slot on his healing item, since the standard one doesn't work on him.

If you don't want to use the Terminator armor on the AM, use it on whatever squad it is that has tank abilities, and get the skill that lets your AM repeatedly use his cooldowns for a period. They have to take damage for it to work, but if they get it built up, you can jump into groups over and over and lock them down for about 8 seconds or so. With the suppression upgrade on the jump, stuff dies crazy fast.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I bought the 360 version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night when it came out. It was my first time playing this game, and I lost interest before I finished it.

Lately I've had the urge to play it, so I'm just going to restart since I don't really remember what I was doing. What should I know?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blast Fantasto posted:

I bought the 360 version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night when it came out. It was my first time playing this game, and I lost interest before I finished it.

Lately I've had the urge to play it, so I'm just going to restart since I don't really remember what I was doing. What should I know?

Map is hotwired to a button. It is a godsend, so remember it always.

The hardest part of the game is likely the first boss you'll fight, Slogra and Blue Devil since you aren't familiar with the game and they are pretty tough for what you have access to. Don't be afraid to level/abuse knives/swear.

Later on difficulty evaporates when you find the shop, as it sells healing potions.

Explore, explore, explore. If you're at about half-health and found some neato stuff, don't be afraid to backtrack to a save point. It heals you of all statuses in addition to saving, so you're refreshed and can't lose your stuff.

When sussing out save points, keep in mind there will always be one near a boss door and they never connect to a hallway, always a room with multiple exits.

When you beat the Richter, if the game just ends you got the bad ending and are missing out on the second half of the game. To beat him correctly you'll need an item from the very center of the map. To get there will require I think the clock sub-weapon and using it in the room with all the clock imagery.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Anything I need to know for Gratuitous Space Battles? Just picked up the game and all of the DLC on Steam (currently at a 75% discount), seems like a decent time-waster so far.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Twitch posted:

Anything I need to know for Gratuitous Space Battles? Just picked up the game and all of the DLC on Steam (currently at a 75% discount), seems like a decent time-waster so far.

Unlocking everything is as easy as going to <user>\Documents\My Games\Gratuitous Space Battles\unl.dat and editing it

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I have another question for Assassin's Creed 2.

Is there any way to get the map to show where Tombs/Glyphs are? I just finished a part a few hours into the game where a couple guys tried to kill Lorenzo de Medici.

I passed by a few of the places where it said there was a glyph, but that was during a mission and I couldn't get to them and continue the mission in time. Are they marked on my map and I'm just not seeing the markings, or is it just "run around with Eagle Vision on all the time"?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Capsaicin posted:

Is there any way to get the map to show where Tombs/Glyphs are? I just finished a part a few hours into the game where a couple guys tried to kill Lorenzo de Medici.

I passed by a few of the places where it said there was a glyph, but that was during a mission and I couldn't get to them and continue the mission in time. Are they marked on my map and I'm just not seeing the markings, or is it just "run around with Eagle Vision on all the time"?

From memory they dont mark the glyphs on your map, you just have to make a mental note when they tell you "theres a glyph nearby". If you go through the pause menu and look at the dossier on locations there is a symbol on a buildings entry if it has a glyph. I think the tombs do get marked, but I couldnt swear to it.

Oh, and at one point, during a dream sequence, you might have problems reaching a beam with a lamp hanging from it. Hold RT (on the Xbox, whatever your "high visibility manuevers button" is) and press and release A (or again, whatever your run button is) without moving the stick in any direction. That makes you jump straight up and grab the handhold above you. I was stuck on that for like 25 minutes because you never need to do that at any other point in the drat game.

SiKboy fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 8, 2010

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Capsaicin posted:

I think on your map, buildings of interest will be dark grey. A glyph is always on a building of interest.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I think on your map, buildings of interest will be dark grey. A glyph is always on a building of interest.

They are, yeah. However, not every building of interest contains a glyph. To make matters more annoying, approaching a building of interest for anything other than the first time won't always trigger the little indication that there's a glyph nearby. Somewhere in the database there's a list of all the places of interest in the city you're in, and ones with glyphs will have little eyeball symbols next to them, so sometimes you'll just have to kind of study the picture and try and figure out if you've got the right building based on what it looks like. You're better off making a mental note every time you come across a building for the first time (or just consulting an FAQ).

There's one in Venice that's kind of tricky to find, because the building is actually part of (or at least very close to) a larger building of interest. I ended up finding it by looking it up on google maps, I poo poo you not, the developers made a fairly geographically accurate Venice.

Speaking of Venice, you'll find that one of the viewpoints appears to be unreachable the first time you try to climb it. That's because it is, you need to unlock a special move during a story mission to reach it, so don't worry about it until then.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Ainsley McTree posted:

They are, yeah. However, not every building of interest contains a glyph. To make matters more annoying, approaching a building of interest for anything other than the first time won't always trigger the little indication that there's a glyph nearby. Somewhere in the database there's a list of all the places of interest in the city you're in, and ones with glyphs will have little eyeball symbols next to them, so sometimes you'll just have to kind of study the picture and try and figure out if you've got the right building based on what it looks like. You're better off making a mental note every time you come across a building for the first time (or just consulting an FAQ).

There's one in Venice that's kind of tricky to find, because the building is actually part of (or at least very close to) a larger building of interest. I ended up finding it by looking it up on google maps, I poo poo you not, the developers made a fairly geographically accurate Venice.

Speaking of Venice, you'll find that one of the viewpoints appears to be unreachable the first time you try to climb it. That's because it is, you need to unlock a special move during a story mission to reach it, so don't worry about it until then.

There's one in the starting city (Florence?) that I'm having trouble getting to. I think it's in the Northwest/West, and it's a domed building. I'm trying to climb up the dome, and there's no way for me to get there.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don't really remember that one specifically, but I don't think any of the buildings in Florence require the special move, you ought to be able to find all the glyphs as soon as you have access to the building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niff
Jul 4, 2010
Jagged Alliance 2

- 1.13 is an amazing patch. for me, it made the game much less clunky, more in-depth (even when first learning game mechanics), and much easier to fortify your towns.
- STOMP mod traits are a million times more balanced than original game traits, and make your IMP merc much more unique
- don't think ambidextrous mercs are terrible. they will destroy anybody close-range in the early game, cheaply and effectively.
- likewise, don't think AIM mercs with low marksmanship are horribly useless. they will have useful skills, and in the case of Dr Q and Danny, have high wisdom and will become your favourite mercenaries due to how quickly they learn
- smoke grenades. portable cover.
- assault rifles. mid-to-long range with a burst and a capable merc will take down even elite soldiers. they are quite noisy, however, even with an AR supp.
- a ghillie suited, stealthy sniper with a late-game sniper rifle is your best friend with a clear line of sight. send your squad ahead to spot the enemies, and watch as you easily get 99% cth headshots from across the map.
- do not underestimate throwing knives, especially with the throwing STOMP trait with a stealthy merc. instant kill when the enemy doesn't know you're there, most of the time, and completely noiseless.
- high wisdom for your IMP merc! it makes them learn faster. he/she is incredibly powerful already, may as well make them uber by late-game.
- don't be afraid to start a new game if you feel you've hosed up at all. i must have started 10-15 new games before i found a good team and IMP stats/traits.
- know how enemies are a pain in the arse, and can seemingly hit you with pistols from further away than you can? they're taking the chance of shooting outside their comfortable range. try it every now and again, and you might gain the upper hand in a tough battle, especially with auto-firing weapons, and suppression enabled.

everything else is pretty straight-forward, but those are some tips i wish i could have known the first time i played.