Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardent
Oct 11, 2005

in my heart my soul fire
I got my RAT 7 today, after paying a fortune to get one shipped to europe :(

Here it is compared to a G9X:

I'm familiar with most logitech and microsoft mice, so here's my review:

It's not as outlandishly as heavy as I was worried it would be. I normally have my G9x with two 7g weights at 129g and the RAT7 is 154g, 25g more. Not light sure, but it moves nicely enough with your hand and it doesn't feel sluggish or like effort. The small mouse feet were also a worry, but they seem to work well enough. The software seems decent enough to me.

The Good:
  • Doesn't look all that outlandish in real life compared to photos.
  • Very solid, metal construction.
  • The thumb rest, thumb rest swivel and thumb rest back and forwards positioning are all rather neat features.
  • You can also adjust weight, length and palm rest height - a person with an average-ish male hand could get it so that it pretty much fits their hand.
  • There doesn't seem to be any lag, and the sensor seems pretty sharp to me.

The nitpicking Bad:
  • The price: not cheap
  • If you have short hands, and the palm rest is all the way in, then your hand is going to rub against the adjustment tool and thumb rest angle adjustment. It's not a problem for me, but the palm rest pretty much has to be one notch out.
  • The palm rest height is only one of 2 options, and both are higher than the G9x. The third palm rest is just a different texture.
  • For pinkie grip, all you can adjust is the texture between soft touch and rubberised grip. The "wing" option is extremely uncomfortable.
  • Has no ability to reconfigure the profile or the sniper button to something more practical for me. The profile button is in a great position, and I really wish I could actually use it for something.

The Ugly:
  • More seriously than the inability to fine-grain height adjustment, there is no width adjustment at all, which is something that the G9x has. This could have been done easily with a way to move the pinkie grip, but they didn't do it. The mouse is also set on the slightly wider than average side. If you're a woman, or a man with a narrow or particularly wide hand and were looking at that RAT series to finally get a mouse you could adjust for you, then you'll be dissapointed.
  • Scroll wheel. There is no side scrolling, there is no free scrolling, and worst of all there is no flick scrolling. This is the one thing on the mouse which I really dislike. I usually have documents open all day which I have to scroll up and down. I'm used to giving the mousewheel a good flick and have it carry on scrolling for a little bit, but this stops dead which is enormously annoying. The ridges on the wheel are also too prominent for my liking.

All in, I do like it, and a lot of its problems are either my nitpicking or don't affect me personally. Those with freak hands will be dissapointed that this isn't fully customisable, those with average-ish male hands will find it fine. The basic underlying idea is fantastic, but it's just not all-the-way. My real problem with it is the scroll wheel, and if I could swap that for a logitech wheel I'd do it in a heartbeat. All-in, I'd buy it again.

Ardent fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MakeTeaNotWar
Jul 7, 2010

akadajet posted:

I think it's silly, but then again I spent only $20 on my really nice keyboard + wired mouse combo.

What ones?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

MasterWerk posted:

Logitech is releasing their new wireless gaming mouse, the G700.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/05/logitech-g700-mouse-and-g930-headset-review/

Looks like the Performance MXform factor with a few extra buttons. I may be getting a new mouse. I am, however, surprised that they didn't just make a wireless G500.

God drat Logitech can be dumb sometimes. Everybody just wants an updated MX518. Just make it, Logitech. If you're going to make a new mouse, make it in the body style and with the materials and textures of the MX518. Not the G5, and especially not the G500. Just give us a better 518. Everybody loves that mouse. It's everybody's favorite, and everybody knows it. Just make it and make it better. Give it a laser, lots of sensitivity settings, a better wheel, and maybe a couple more side buttons if you want. Hell, just give it the extra buttons that your new, fancy wireless mouse has. Those three alternate-left-click buttons look really cool, and so do the 4 side buttons. Hell, put those things on the 518. That's all everybody wants. Stop loving around and trying to change poo poo just to change it. We don't want NEW and INNOVATIVE for NEW and INNOVATIVE's sake. We want a better 518.

Sorry for the :spergin: but goddamn.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 5, 2010

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.

GreatGreen posted:

God drat Logitech can be dumb sometimes. Everybody just wants an updated MX518. Just make it, Logitech. If you're going to make a new mouse, make it in the body style and with the materials and textures of the MX518. Not the G5, and especially not the G500. Just give us a better 518. Everybody loves that mouse. It's everybody's favorite, and everybody knows it. Just make it and make it better. Give it a laser, lots of sensitivity settings, a better wheel, and maybe a couple more side buttons if you want. Hell, just give it the extra buttons that your new, fancy wireless mouse has. Those three alternate-left-click buttons look really cool, and so do the 4 side buttons. Hell, put those things on the 518. That's all everybody wants. Stop loving around and trying to change poo poo just to change it. We don't want NEW and INNOVATIVE for NEW and INNOVATIVE's sake. We want a better 518.

I loved my MX518 mouse too, but when I went back to it, it wasn't very comfortable to use after my G9x. Even that isn't totally comfortable and pushed me into a fingertip style of holding it. I'm totally into the look of this mouse. looks WAY more comfortable (if a bit tall) and looks like it has the G9 material on it.

edit: ugh... preordered. I couldn't help myself...

For Loop fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 5, 2010

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Ardent posted:

• Scroll wheel. There is no side scrolling, there is no free scrolling, and worst of all there is no flick scrolling.

This is a good thing. Side scrolling is horribly pointless in games and free scrolling maybe should be an option, but again I would never use it in games. Since this is purely a gaming mouse I wouldn't exactly hold the lack of these things against it. No idea what you mean by flick scrolling though.

GreatGreen posted:

I don't disagree with you about getting simply an updated MX518, but as far as I am concerned the G500 is pretty much just that. It has basically the same shape with a modernized gaming mouse feature set. So unless you are talking about aesthetics or simplifying the design a bit so it is more vanilla and not so much gaming oriented, I really don't follow ya.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 6, 2010

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Linux Nazi posted:

I don't disagree with you about getting simply an updated MX518, but as far as I am concerned the G500 is pretty much just that. It has basically the same shape with a modernized gaming mouse feature set. So unless you are talking about aesthetics or simplifying the design a bit so it is more vanilla and not so much gaming oriented, I really don't follow ya.

Well, the G500 is close, but to be :spergin: again, the rubber on it has a completely different feel to it than any other mouse Logitech makes, they managed to make it feel just like sandpaper. It kind of makes the whole mouse feel cheap and crappy. Sure, it's nitpicky as hell, but every other mouse they've made has felt great by comparison. Just seems odd to me.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 6, 2010

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
The material on the sides of the MX518 is a paint called "soft touch". It feels like rubber, but is not.

The material on the side of the G500 is a paint called "dry grip", which is designed to respond to sweat and oils on the hand differently than soft touch does.

Soft touch can get slimy and gross after a short period of time depending on your hand chemistry or cheeto addiction, so on some of our mice, like the G500, we use dry grip instead. Some people like soft touch, some people like dry grip. Unfortunately, we don't make both choices for every mouse.

The G700 has dry grip paint on it as well, though it has a different feel from the dry grip on the G500. To use your sandpaper analogy, if the G500 is 150 grit , the G700 is more like 200. Not suggesting that you'll like it more, but it is a bit different.

Linux Nazi - I think by flick scrolling he means that he's able to get a little extra rotation by flicking the wheel - three or four extra clicks. I would guess that with the RAT 7 he's not able to do this, that the wheel has less mass or requires more force to rotate and therefore stops rotating immediately when his finger leaves it.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Interesting, this stuff on the sides of MX518 started to peel/wear off within weeks on mine leaving leaving behind disgusting sticky areas that you can't scrape off or whatever. Probably wasn't helped by the fact that top of the mouse is clear hard plastic that made my palm sweat.

MX1100 and Performance MX are so much better in this regard.

Also side scrolling, MX1000 and MX1100 had nice firm clicky switches for side scrolling so you could use them as keybinds. On Performance MX however you just kinda tilt the wheel - there is no clear click on the switch making it mostly useless as keybind.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Ended up picking up the DeathAdder and I absolutely love it. Fits in my hand perfect and not an issue at all with my iMac.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Goo posted:

Linux Nazi - I think by flick scrolling he means that he's able to get a little extra rotation by flicking the wheel - three or four extra clicks. I would guess that with the RAT 7 he's not able to do this, that the wheel has less mass or requires more force to rotate and therefore stops rotating immediately when his finger leaves it.

Even better then! Not enough mice have good tactile resistance like the old boomslang wheel.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

foodisgood posted:

The free spin is a treat compared to the M$ mice.
You'll really love the wheel on the MX Revolution. I'm using a G9 and love it, but miss the wheel on the revolution. It changed modes based on how fast you scrolled with an actuated mechanism.

GreatGreen posted:

God drat Logitech can be dumb sometimes. Everybody just wants an updated MX518.

I'm surprised y'all accepted the 518 over the 510. I think it's counter-strike players, or something.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 6, 2010

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

alseyn posted:

Probably wasn't helped by the fact that top of the mouse is clear hard plastic that made my palm sweat.
This happens to me too - does the g500 have the same hard plastic or is it sandpapery?

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.

kri kri posted:

This happens to me too - does the g500 have the same hard plastic or is it sandpapery?

sandpapery.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.

Goo posted:

The G700 has dry grip paint on it as well, though it has a different feel from the dry grip on the G500. To use your sandpaper analogy, if the G500 is 150 grit , the G700 is more like 200. Not suggesting that you'll like it more, but it is a bit different.

This is some good and bad news for me. I thought the g500 finish was too rough, so I hope I like the G700 better. Speaking of differences between the two, what is the size of the G700 in comparison? Looks a little shorter.

EDIT: looks like it's around 5x3x2inches, which is slightly shorter in length but not much, than the g500.

For Loop fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 7, 2010

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
G500 finish is perfect, some of you need to do a bit more physical labor in your lives or something. It's like princess and the pea in here. The G500 scroll mode switch button is great too vs. the mx revolution middle click to change modes. G500 really is the peak of the logitech gaming lineage, and I'm someone who used an mx-500 for nearly a decade.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

MasterWerk posted:

This is some good and bad news for me. I thought the g500 finish was too rough, so I hope I like the G700 better. Speaking of differences between the two, what is the size of the G700 in comparison? Looks a little shorter.

EDIT: looks like it's around 5x3x2inches, which is slightly shorter in length but not much, than the g500.

Here's a quick comparison JPG I put together with stuff I have at home.

The real sad part about this picture is that I didn't even work on any of these mice. I just have them because I'm a product nerd.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Goo posted:

Here's a quick comparison JPG I put together with stuff I have at home.

The real sad part about this picture is that I didn't even work on any of these mice. I just have them because I'm a product nerd.

Picture isnt working.

I am having to RMA my MX518 - since it is not available anymore what will they send me?

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
That picture shows up fine.

I'd assume you'd get a G500 if they don't have 518s around.

Anyway, has anyone ever connected a Performance MX via USB to a Mac? I'm missing my Unifying receiver right now, and I plugged the mouse in-- and all it does is charge. It's not being discovered by anything on my macbook. Not under Mouse, nor under the Logitech Control Center.

vty fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 8, 2010

Cortana
Nov 2, 2003

YUKI.N>_

I wouldn't touch a G5 until they fix the Windows7 mouse-freeze bug that no one wants to talk about or fix, Microsoft OR Logitech.

I had to switch mine out for an M500... which has no problems, but my G5 will pause, the sensitivity lights go out for 5-20 seconds every few minutes while in use. Annoying as gently caress.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So how is the R.A.T. 9 or whatever. The wireless one? I like my mouse but I'm a nerd and need the latest and greatest so, you know.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Cortana posted:

I wouldn't touch a G5 until they fix the Windows7 mouse-freeze bug that no one wants to talk about or fix, Microsoft OR Logitech.

I had to switch mine out for an M500... which has no problems, but my G5 will pause, the sensitivity lights go out for 5-20 seconds every few minutes while in use. Annoying as gently caress.

Huh. Mine's never done anything like that and I've been using Windows 7 and a G5 for probably 8 months now.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

vty posted:

That picture shows up fine.

Anyway, has anyone ever connected a Performance MX via USB to a Mac? I'm missing my Unifying receiver right now, and I plugged the mouse in-- and all it does is charge. It's not being discovered by anything on my macbook. Not under Mouse, nor under the Logitech Control Center.
The picture is on a NAS in my house, so if it's not showing up for some people that's probably why. I could put it on my other host but I was too lazy to log in to it.

I'm pretty sure the Performance MX is wireless only - the USB cable is for charging only, not data. So unless you have the receiver plugged in to your Mac, you won't be able to use it.

Cortana, are you sure it's not a problem with the mouse itself, or possibly your USB ports? It sounds like it's re-enumerating, like after an ESD event or something. I don't know anything about an issue with the G5 and Win7. Did it work on a previous OS on the same machine?

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

kri kri posted:

Picture isnt working.

I am having to RMA my MX518 - since it is not available anymore what will they send me?

I have no knowledge of the MX518 being discontinued. There is a small possibility that there is a backlog right now, but it's still an active product. You should be able to get a replacement of the same mouse.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Goo posted:

I'm pretty sure the Performance MX is wireless only - the USB cable is for charging only, not data. So unless you have the receiver plugged in to your Mac, you won't be able to use it.

You... appear to be correct.

That's what I began to assume until I watched the new G700 video. The Logitech guy mentioned that in the cases that you have to be sure of no latency, you can plug it in. So, I decided to give it a shot again on my MX.

Well, that sucks. I have a G5 to mess around with, but it doesn't compare at all.

I will say one thing to Logitechs defense- I looked up how much it would be to purchase a 1-2 new unifying receivers to put on all my computers, and they're only $10/ea. These are usually those items that a company will screw you over so hard on that its typically worth it to just buy a new product.

<3 Logitech.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Christoff posted:

So how is the R.A.T. 9 or whatever. The wireless one? I like my mouse but I'm a nerd and need the latest and greatest so, you know.

I'm pretty sure the answer is "not yet released".

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

Cortana posted:

Try updating your motherboard firmware.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So I've been reading up on the RAT 7, and apparently there's a few forums talking about problems with the sensor. Namely, the RAT 7 and 9 use the Phillips Twin Eye sensor for the laser, which is said to have problems with its Z axis. In other words, the mouse doesn't stop moving when it's picked up slightly off the mouse pad like other mice do. It will keep tracking for just a little bit. In practice, this means that when you pick up the mouse and put it back down again, your cursor will probably move around a lot on the screen.

Apparently this is a known issue with the laser, and when Mad Catz heard about the problem, they basically pulled a Steve Jobs and told users they were using the mouse incorrectly and hey, who lifts up a high-DPI mouse anyway, amirite? High five.

What a shame. I was really considering buying this mouse, too. But when a problem like this is acknowledged by the company, then the company blames the problem it on the user for using the product in a perfectly-normal-and-commonplace-but-not-exactly-like-Mad-Catz-wants-them-to way, well it doesn't exactly say good things about the company.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 9, 2010

Ardent
Oct 11, 2005

in my heart my soul fire

GreatGreen posted:

So I've been reading up on the RAT 7, and apparently there's a few forums talking about problems with the sensor. Namely, the RAT 7 and 9 use the Phillips Twin Eye sensor for the laser, which is said to have problems with its Z axis. In other words, the mouse doesn't stop moving when it's picked up slightly off the mouse pad like other mice do. It will keep tracking for just a little bit. In practice, this means that when you pick up the mouse and put it back down again, your cursor will probably move around a lot on the screen.

Apparently this is a known issue with the laser, and when Mad Catz heard about the problem, they basically pulled a Steve Jobs and told users they were using the mouse incorrectly and hey, who lifts up a high-DPI mouse anyway, amirite? High five.

What a shame. I was really considering buying this mouse, too. But when a problem like this is acknowledged by the company, then the company blames the problem it on the user for using the product in a perfectly-normal-and-commonplace-but-not-exactly-like-Mad-Catz-wants-them-to way, well it doesn't exactly say good things about the company.

Mine does move slightly when picked up, yes. I didn't include it in my review since I can't say that it's affected me once since I've started using it. It is by any definition a solid, heavy mouse which has stayed extremely planted to the desk. If you regularly like to pick up your mouse, this really isn't the mouse for you inherently because of the sheer weight of the thing, even with no extra weights on. I sent Mad Catz a version of the review I wrote earlier, their Category Manager replied back to me the next day, saying that they greatly appreciated the feedback and were collecting information as to how to further improve the mouse. I think most men with averageish - large hands would be happy with it.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

The apparent problem is that when you pick it up and put it down again, it will twitch down and to the right a bit. The way I see it is that who the gently caress can pick up a mouse and put it down again in the middle of a game and not have it jump a bit? You're always going to be seeing a small jump simply because you aren't lifting the mouse exactly 90degrees in Z axis because we are not robots. The fact that the sensor does this a bit isn't a huge concern really, as you'll mostly be doing this action while doing turns or broad, imprecise movements.

I played with this mouse all weekend in Mass Effect 2, DOW2 and Splinter Cell Conviction and I didn't notice this at all until I just read your post. I'm at work now but I'll definitely give it a try when I get home tonight to see exactly how bad it is. But considering I haven't noticed it for 4 days, I'm guessing it's minimal.

I use the mouse on the 2nd lowest DPI setting and the only problem in any of the games I had was with Mass Effect 2 making my usually slow mouse moves 100x faster.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Well, it's good to hear the problem isn't all that noticable. Honestly, it seems like a great mouse otherwise. Still, I have to say that the way the company handled the PR about the problem wasn't all that great though.

Also, I've heard about another issue of the mouse, that there's a screw right where your thumb is supposed to rest. Seems like that would get annoying. Does anoybody who owns the mouse find this to be an issue?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

Also, I've heard about another issue of the mouse, that there's a screw right where your thumb is supposed to rest. Seems like that would get annoying. Does anoybody who owns the mouse find this to be an issue?

I've subconsciously noticed it, but it's not ever been distracting or annoying at all. If anything, I think I quite like it for the little bit of extra grip it gives as I usually pick the mouse up with my thumb + ring/pinky fingers and the mouse (even with all the weights out) is kinda heavy.

The only thing I had to get used to in that thumb area is the sniper button, it sits in such a reachable spot I find myself purposely pressing it while browsing the net like some sort of compulsive disorder. The other thumb buttons aren't in a perfect position for my hand, they could do with being pushed a bit towards the front of the mouse.

Tharax
Jul 15, 2009
well, i just went and spent up large on a MX performance. its great except for one thing - my desk isnt flat and the grooves seem to be playing havoc with the mouse. so... whats the best mouse pad one can buy? i tend to move my mouse a lot, so something huge is what i am looking for.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
Welp, my loving Deathadder started doing the Razer thing of sometimes doing double clicks when single clicking. Happened to my Diamondback too. It's a hardware problem and I'm not going to open the thing to put WD40 in it or something. I'd have to rip appart the bottom plasting thing that makes the mouse slide better.

I'm never buying razer again. They have great designs, they tend to be a lot better than the "brick with a laser at the bottom with buttons scattered around" that logitech has going on. I tried giving my old mx518 a go after my Deathadder started loving up but I really can't go back to a mouse made for huge loving hands or people who never played a fast paced shooter with a decently low sensitivity in their lives. But at least logitech make mice that don't break from regular usage after 6 months. Razer's construction is really weak. My gripe with mx518 style mice is that it's not designed to be a mouse you grasp between your left thumb and your two rightmost fingers to control it. It's the kind of mice that you move with your whole palm and that is a lot less precise.

Find me a mouse that is like a deathadder but not made by Razer.

Athropos fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 13, 2010

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

Cortana posted:

I had the same problem, but mine had been working with Windows 7 for almost a year before crapping out. Try wiggling the cord near the mouse, if it shuts down you probably have the same issue I did (and others from looking around online).

It looks like this part of the cord:

Click here for the full 800x480 image.

is the trouble area, and if you bent it the mouse would shut off. My (somewhat dubious) fix was to back the cord up about an inch so the trouble area wouldn't get bent if the cord outside the mouse did. I've only tested it for about half an hour, but it's working fine and wriggling the cord doesn't make it shut off anymore. The only downside is it requires you to peel off the feet/traction pad things, but those are cheaper than a new mouse.

Sadly I no longer have an excuse to get a G500 :shobon:

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Athropos posted:

Is the Habu made my microsoft or razer? It seems around the same size as the razer, anyone got one?

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Athropos posted:

Welp, my loving Deathadder started doing the Razer thing of sometimes doing double clicks when single clicking. Happened to my Diamondback too. It's a hardware problem and I'm not going to open the thing to put WD40 in it or something. I'd have to rip appart the bottom plasting thing that makes the mouse slide better.

I'm never buying razer again. They have great designs, they tend to be a lot better than the "brick with a laser at the bottom with buttons scattered around" that logitech has going on. I tried giving my old mx518 a go after my Deathadder started loving up but I really can't go back to a mouse made for huge loving hands or people who never played a fast paced shooter with a decently low sensitivity in their lives. But at least logitech make mice that don't break from regular usage after 6 months. Razer's construction is really weak. My gripe with mx518 style mice is that it's not designed to be a mouse you grasp between your left thumb and your two rightmost fingers to control it. It's the kind of mice that you move with your whole palm and that is a lot less precise.

I have tiny girl hands (I'm a guy, sorry) and I absolutely love the fitment of my Performance MX. Now, admittedly this mouse has made me think my old G5 is what you mentioned - a brick with a laser. I hate using that mouse.

I'd recommend trying the new mice (Performance MX and above) at Frys. It really is vastly different.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."

vty posted:

I have tiny girl hands (I'm a guy, sorry) and I absolutely love the fitment of my Performance MX. Now, admittedly this mouse has made me think my old G5 is what you mentioned - a brick with a laser. I hate using that mouse.

I'd recommend trying the new mice (Performance MX and above) at Frys. It really is vastly different.

That looks very interesting, I'd have to get over my prejudice over wireless mice though.

Just for the heck of it, I googled "razer mamba double click" and what do you know, even that mouse has a ton of posts with people having that exact problem that's been prevalent in every mouse Razer puts out, no matter the "quality" or price.

kri kri posted:

Is the Habu made my microsoft or razer? It seems around the same size as the razer, anyone got one?

I believe it was made as a joint effort between the two.

Athropos fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 15, 2010

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

muon posted:

I had the same problem, but mine had been working with Windows 7 for almost a year before crapping out. Try wiggling the cord near the mouse, if it shuts down you probably have the same issue I did (and others from looking around online).

It looks like this part of the cord:

Click here for the full 800x480 image.

is the trouble area, and if you bent it the mouse would shut off. My (somewhat dubious) fix was to back the cord up about an inch so the trouble area wouldn't get bent if the cord outside the mouse did. I've only tested it for about half an hour, but it's working fine and wriggling the cord doesn't make it shut off anymore. The only downside is it requires you to peel off the feet/traction pad things, but those are cheaper than a new mouse.

Sadly I no longer have an excuse to get a G500 :shobon:

I have this mouse and I had the exact same thing happen and I deduced the exact same repair and it has lasted months with no problems. However, I was able to save the feet with little effort.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

VectorSigma posted:

I have this mouse and I had the exact same thing happen and I deduced the exact same repair and it has lasted months with no problems. However, I was able to save the feet with little effort.

I had the same issue with two G5s and Logitech simply replaced them for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

Athropos posted:

Just for the heck of it, I googled "razer mamba double click" and what do you know, even that mouse has a ton of posts with people having that exact problem that's been prevalent in every mouse Razer puts out, no matter the "quality" or price.
I have a Razer Copperhead and had the exact same problem. I did some of the workarounds (tape) and it would eventually go back to the double click problem.

I kept an eye on Amazon and when the MX518 dropped down to $38 or so, I picked it up last month. Haven't looked back since.