Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hentaipanda posted:

Colours and airbrushes. Do not forget to spray some of your new colour outside the model first. Some of the previous colour you used will be stuck in the airbrush and the first sprays will be a mix. That being said, spray lighter colours first, darker ones later. I sprayed black first and then white, and was spraying grey for a good while afterwards. And clean it VERY thoroughly between colour switching. But be careful with the previous issue when spraying dark over light. Mask it very well or you'll have a mist of black over white areas.

You can get around color contamination by attaching a bottle of thinner between colors and spraying onto a piece of white paper until it's clear. The thinner may get tinted by the drops left in the brush but that's OK for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I got a bunch of paints from a dude who quit 40k, but I think you guys are the nerds who can help me. One of the paints was a pot of Tamiya "Flat Base". It's really thick and I don't think it's a standard acrylic paint. Can anyone what it's used for and tell me how to use it?

It's to dull things, and you have to thin it with 3 parts of thinner or alcohol to 1 part flat base. I have a bottle I'm going to use to dull things with my airbush but I have to finish painting things first!

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Just read through all of this thread. I'm not finding a lot of car modelers here, that's surprising, as most of the kits at the local hobby store are either cars or bikes or some sort. I'm trying to get back into the hobby after many years, interested in bikes, knowing they are some of the more difficult models to build and not look like poo poo. After a futile attempt at finding decent bike specific forums/sites I figured I'd ask if you guys knew of any?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

For some reason car modeling doesn't seem to be a big deal among your serious obsessive modelers. I think it's because to them, a car model is too easy, since you rarely get to show off all yer fancy weathering and texture effects.

I don't know a site, but have been impressed with the quality of Tamiya models. Real rubber tires!

hentaipanda
Feb 6, 2007

As always: the urgent does not leave time for the important

Mcqueen posted:

Just read through all of this thread. I'm not finding a lot of car modelers here, that's surprising, as most of the kits at the local hobby store are either cars or bikes or some sort. I'm trying to get back into the hobby after many years, interested in bikes, knowing they are some of the more difficult models to build and not look like poo poo. After a futile attempt at finding decent bike specific forums/sites I figured I'd ask if you guys knew of any?

I don't know of any bike specific sites but Italeri have a decent selection of bike models and I think they're generally of good quality.

FlashBewin
May 17, 2009
Anyone use the Iwata HP-TR1, Trigger/dual action/side feed Airbrush? anything special i need to know about it? Mine arrives in the mail in a few hours.

Also, anyone ever painted (or played) Alternate Events WW2 miniatures game?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Nebakenezzer posted:

For some reason car modeling doesn't seem to be a big deal among your serious obsessive modelers. I think it's because to them, a car model is too easy, since you rarely get to show off all yer fancy weathering and texture effects.
Counterpoint: this guy.

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

I think it is just a separate market, car models usually attract a different kind of hobbyist, but the market definitely is there, considering the huge amounts of after market conversion kits and detail-up parts. I have seen some modelmakers with skill rivaling that of the most obsessive armor-builder, replicating every bolt and every bit of electric wiring on a 1/24 engine.

There is also a fairly large community of of 'scrapyardbuilders', specializing in beat-up, abandoned and scraped cars. Kinda odd but very cool, rusty old pre-seventies wrecks with peeling paint, missing wheels, cracked windshields, overgrown with moss, covered in birdshit etc. They use every technique used by 'regular' modelers -and then some.

(Sorry but a failed harddisk wiped most of my bookmarks, so no links I'm afraid.)

(unrelated edit: And yes, I need to post updates)

alcyon fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 21, 2010

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

That reminds me, I need to take pics of some of the minis and models I finished recently (a bunch of WWII mechs and whatnot) and get back to work on my Ma.K Krote.

FlashBewin
May 17, 2009
Those Ma.Krotes looked absolutely amazing. The various types of armored-suit looking things not so much (terrible seam lines). The price is awful as well.
I saw that one of the contributing people for Fine Scale Modeler did a hover tank of some sort in that line.

Obviously it looked superb when he did it, but he mentioned that it was $80 and that was a bit much for something not four feet long.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Here's a larger and a lot more detailed SdKfz 222 than I did a few months ago, this time in 1:35, the Tamiya one. I tried to weather this one too, but it was somewhat harder to do in this scale without an airbrush.

Bonus bunch of guys from various Zvezda kits.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Xenomrph posted:

Counterpoint: this guy.

:aaa: That's just astonishing. D'ye think he does much photo manipulation?

Nevermind, I'm reading how he does it in the friggin NYT article.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Here's a larger and a lot more detailed SdKfz 222 than I did a few months ago, this time in 1:35, the Tamiya one. I tried to weather this one too, but it was somewhat harder to do in this scale without an airbrush.

Nice. How did you do the dust effect?

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 27, 2010

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Black spraypaint while going really really softly on the nozzle. Sometimes I get either too much paint coming out or large blobs, but it works pretty well in the absence of an airbrush.

hentaipanda
Feb 6, 2007

As always: the urgent does not leave time for the important
So I'm about to finish 2 model cars (a '66 Shelby GT 350R and a Jaguar XK SS). Everything was going great, up until when I had to put the windows and windshields in. I managed to get glue smudges on pretty much all of them. Is there a way to get them off somehow? I tried with paint thinner on the Jag's windshield but that just made the plastic get blurry (speaking of which, is there a way to fix that?). What else can I try?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

hentaipanda posted:

So I'm about to finish 2 model cars (a '66 Shelby GT 350R and a Jaguar XK SS). Everything was going great, up until when I had to put the windows and windshields in. I managed to get glue smudges on pretty much all of them. Is there a way to get them off somehow? I tried with paint thinner on the Jag's windshield but that just made the plastic get blurry (speaking of which, is there a way to fix that?). What else can I try?

I just did something similar with a helicopter I'm building, and I sanded it with very fine wet and dry and then used a small Dremel-type tool with soft polishing wheel to get it off.

It's not perfect, but it's a lot better than it was.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Nexus Plastic Polish. The only good plastic polish I've found.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

FlashBewin posted:

Those Ma.Krotes looked absolutely amazing. The various types of armored-suit looking things not so much (terrible seam lines). The price is awful as well.
I saw that one of the contributing people for Fine Scale Modeler did a hover tank of some sort in that line.

Obviously it looked superb when he did it, but he mentioned that it was $80 and that was a bit much for something not four feet long.
My Krote is gradually coming along - I decided it would be smarter to paint all the pieces on the sprue before assembling it, instead of putting it together and then trying to paint consistently in all of the crevices and poo poo. It's coming along pretty well, I'll be about halfway through the instructions after today and the main "turret" part will be done.

I also picked up one of these on eBay for under $20 with free shipping.

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

hentaipanda posted:

You can polish it as the others suggested, but I assume you used a plastics glue or a CA-glue? If so, no amount of polishing will fix that. The frosting isn't just a layer on top of the windshield but runs right through. The opacity indicates the broken bonds of the molecules and no amount of buffing will fix that.
If you need to glue windows, lights, lenses or any transparent part, best use a non aggressive glue like pva or whatever. It provides not as strong a bond but also no change of damage.
You could replace the original windshield by pressing the part onto a bit of modelling clay to copy the shape, gently heat a new piece of clear plastic and pull it over the mold to replicate the curve of the original part.

Xenomrph posted:

I also picked up one of these on eBay for under $20 with free shipping.
99.8% Chance that was a recast, as in :filez:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Oops. :(

Well, you can see the auction here I guess.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
it's not like the original designer is actually attempting to sell those things

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

Oops. :(

Well, you can see the auction here I guess.

Don't feel bad, it happens. Rule of thumb on ebay auctions: If it the seller is located in China and if the item is a bargain, it is fake.

The kits from that series are pretty cool but quite rare. Gallery here: http://members.ytv.home.ne.jp/j.t.r/

MasterSlowPoke posted:

it's not like the original designer is actually attempting to sell those things
Not really the issue imo. The designer can do whatever the hell he wants with his kits. And in any case the problem is not as much the recasting, but the recaster.

FlashBewin
May 17, 2009
Nice Weathering on that Motorcycle thing up there.

Forgive me for asking, but so what if its a recast? I'm not trying to be snarky.
If its a recast, will it be lower quality? missing peices?

Also, Is painting resin any different than any other model (plastic) ?

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
apartment fire melted everything, guess I get to do a better job next time around.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Krote is nearing completion, just need to assemble the legs and then put the components together.

The legs are going to be a bitch. :gonk:

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

FlashBewin posted:

Forgive me for asking, but so what if its a recast? I'm not trying to be snarky.
If its a recast, will it be lower quality? missing peices?

Also, Is painting resin any different than any other model (plastic) ?
The issue of recasts is in part one of quality, it is a copy of copy (of a copy) afterall and there is no guarantee the recaster did not omit parts or used a subpar resin.
But the main issue is that recasting for profit is loving lame. Garagekits by definition are the limited runs and rare. The original sculptors and casters spend a hell of a lot of time (and money) to make kits of obscure models for other hobbyists to enjoy. Ripping that off is just utter douchbaggery.

random article on the matter

Painting resin need not be any different to painting plastics, you just need to put a bit more effort im prepping the parts. If washed and properly primed there really is no difference.

Kallikrates posted:

apartment fire melted everything, guess I get to do a better job next time around.
:(

Xenomrph posted:

Krote is nearing completion, just need to assemble the legs and then put the components together.

The legs are going to be a bitch. :gonk:

The hip can be secured with just a polycap(is also easier for disassembly for painting), but the kneejoint needs to be glued, a 70degree angle looks nicest.

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

A very, very slow Neuspinne buildlog part x:

Needed to perform some serious surgery on the 'skeleton'. It took a long time before I realized the overall shape was a few mm off in a lot of places. I dug out and shaved short the plastic profile, it was just a few mil but it made a lot of difference.

A little bit of progress. I finally finished shaping and sanding the head. and started scribing and adding bits, yay!

Quite pleased I can finally work on detailing the head. I spend way too much time on adding putty-sanding-adding putty-sanding-adding putty-sanding. Tbh I was milling around in circles and overdid it. I used up over a pound of aves for just a few bumps here and there.
Also really hosed up one of my drainage pipes by wetsanding over it and flushing down a lot of epoxy dust down a otherwise unused drain, the stuff set like concrete.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

alcyon posted:

But the main issue is that recasting for profit is loving lame. Garagekits by definition are the limited runs and rare. The original sculptors and casters spend a hell of a lot of time (and money) to make kits of obscure models for other hobbyists to enjoy. Ripping that off is just utter douchbaggery.
I totally understand that, but I actually personally have a problem with garage kits of otherwise licensed properties. There's a well-known sculptor named Narin who does garage kits for Predator (and occasionally, AvP) stuff and it rubs me the wrong way because he's essentially profiting off someone else's IP. I really wouldn't see a problem with people recasting his Predator stuff because if he complained about it he's basically a hypocrite since he's already ripping off someone else's ideas himself.

Out of principle I like to buy authentic, licensed products. I didn't realize the monocycle kit I just bought was likely a recast, I just saw the price and said "holy poo poo, sold". I'm not a fan of buying knock-off Transformers toys for example, and I don't like buying Alien/Predator merchandise that's not licensed by FOX. Narin's kits are generally pretty badass, but I still won't buy them out of principle for the same reason I don't (intentionally) buy recasts.

alcyon posted:

The hip can be secured with just a polycap(is also easier for disassembly for painting), but the kneejoint needs to be glued, a 70degree angle looks nicest.
Really? Maybe I'm reading the instructions wrong, but it looks like the instructions say the knee shouldn't be glued or something.

Edit-- reading that article about recasting and the guy makes some serious leaps of logic that I don't really agree with.

I STILL DON'T REALLY AGREE WITH RECASTING but that's moreso for personal reasons where I'd like to support original creators when possible, but some of the reasons this guy gives for opposing recasting are nonsensical.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Aug 8, 2010

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

Really? Maybe I'm reading the instructions wrong, but it looks like the instructions say the knee shouldn't be glued or something.
The polycap in the knee (or 'second knee') wont hold the weight and will sag after a while. Retaining movement in that joint is useless anyway as the other 'knee' joint is fixed as well.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I generally agree buying a recast is a poor idea, but if someone made a model, cast 200 of them & said that's it, no more, you'll likely never see, nevermind get the opportunity to buy one. Your only chance of getting hold of one is a recast, do you just say "Ah, nevermind, no-one will ever sell their unassembled, unpainted model, I'll just think about it wishfully" or do you buy the recast, knowing the artist isn't being deprived?

FlashBewin
May 17, 2009

Cakefool posted:

I generally agree buying a recast is a poor idea, but if someone made a model, cast 200 of them & said that's it, no more, you'll likely never see, nevermind get the opportunity to buy one. Your only chance of getting hold of one is a recast, do you just say "Ah, nevermind, no-one will ever sell their unassembled, unpainted model, I'll just think about it wishfully" or do you buy the recast, knowing the artist isn't being deprived?

I probrably couldn't have said this better.
From what i understand, these models (the ones currently being discussed, the Krotes) aren't in production anymore. I went to the website on the last page, granted i don't read (whatever language that is) but i kind of thought that they weren't in production.

If they aren't in production, i'd have no problem buying recasts.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Krote is essentially done, just need to do some paint touch-ups and decide if I want to try and thread that vinyl cord along the legs through the pinhole-sized holes or some poo poo. I also need to put on a bunch of decals.

I actually didn't need to glue the knee joints at all, they're pretty stiff already and they hold the weight just fine without toppling over. Not to mention there's a spring on them that limits how far the knee can compress anyway.

I've got a bunch of extra parts on the plastic sprues though that the instructions don't account for. 6 little 1cm long tubes (barrels?) denoted i6 (sprue "i", #6), 5 teeny tiny little nuts denoted i5, and 4 larger nuts denoted c25. The instructions don't say where I'm supposed to use any of those. :iiam:

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

Cakefool posted:

Well yes, I'd rather think about it wishfully. Example: I really want a 2.5 feet long Nebula-B frigate and know where I can get one cheap, but won't buy it. Cos I know the dude who sells 'em profits unfairly from them. Imho it's more of a privilege than a right to own a particular kit. No-one is entitled to anything. If you want a particular kit, you immerse yourself into the community (hate that word). Post on message boards and forums, get to know your fellow kitmakers/builders and trade and barter for them. just about everything is available if you put some effort in.
Or better yet build your own.

Guess we better leave the subject, but it is something I feel strongly about. A few years ago I helped a smalltime kitmaker with the masters of a 1/24 B-wing. The dude was very talented but left the hobby because he got hosed over (edit disclaimer: the current bwings produced are not related to that one). Which is a right shame cos now he wont cast the (awesome) shuttle from the movie Outland he was working on. These things kinda trickle and fester along. I wont judge anyone for buying these things, I can understand the 'want' for a certain kit, but selling for profit is another matter.

FlashBewin posted:

(the ones currently being discussed, the Krotes) aren't in production anymore. I went to the website on the last page, granted i don't read (whatever language that is) but i kind of thought that they weren't in production.
Well its your lucky day! krotes are in production and sold at various fine retailers, like HLJ, for 4200yen or so.
And in any case recasting a krote in resin wouldn't work cos the spindly legs can't hold the weight :)

Xenomrph posted:

Krote is essentially done, just need to do some paint touch-ups and decide if I want to try and thread that vinyl cord along the legs through the pinhole-sized holes or some poo poo.
You really should add those, they look way cool.

Xenomrph posted:

I actually didn't need to glue the knee joints at all, Not to mention there's a spring on them.
I think we are talking about different joints here. Each leg has four joints. Hip, ankle and two knee joints. At any rate hope yours will stay put and wont sag after a week or two. Fingers crossed.

Xenomrph posted:

extra parts.
Not sure how much the latest edition has changed. But those are likely for the similar Gans kit. I'll have a look tomorrow and send a pm.

alcyon fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 9, 2010

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

quote:

I wont judge anyone for buying these things, I can understand the 'want' for a certain kit, but selling for profit is another matter.
What if they aren't necessarily doing it for profit?

My only real experience with recasting (other than buying that kit recently, whoops!) is one of my friends, who actually DOES recasting, sort of.
He's a member of the 501st Stormtrooper Legion, the big Star Wars costuming group. Now, the 501st is supposed to be a non-profit organization because Lucasfilm owns Star Wars, but that doesn't stop a lot of costumers from actually making a decent profit making and selling costumes for $500-$1000 apiece. Sure they take time and materials to make since they're essentially custom made to-order, but a lot of that is still profit.

My friend has gotten a bit sick of it has started recasting some of his own sets of armor, specifically so that he can undercut the profit-makers and make costumes for people essentially at-cost ($150-$300 a costume). He expressly does this because he loves the hobby, he loves helping people get costumes for affordable prices, and making a profit isn't a factor for him at all.
He also makes his own original molds as well (again, so that he can make costumes at-cost). But if he gets the opportunity to recast, it saves him a lot of time hand-making the mold.

So who is in the "wrong" in this scenario? The members of the non-profit group who are making costumes for profit, or the recaster who expressly computed out his costs so he can price out his recasts and not make a profit?

quote:

You really should add those, they look way cool.
Any tips for threading them? I don't want to accidentally break the model or whatever, haha.

quote:

Not sure how much the latest edition has changed. But those are likely for the similar Gans kit. I'll have a look tomorrow and send a pm.
Awesome, thanks!

Edit-- I've also got 3 long pieces of copper wire that I don't know what to do with. I had the shorter piece that was the "antenna" and that was in the instructions, but I don't know what to do with these 3 longer pieces.

Edit again-- Krote is done, I think it looks awesome. I even threaded the hoses and stuff on it, too. I'll try and snap some pics ASAP.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 9, 2010

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

recasting [costumes], sort of.
I know next to nothing about SW cosplay (is that the right word?), so can't really comment on the pecking order and the politics of the scene, but despite the Robin Hood intentions it doesn't seem entirely kosher to me. Then again it is unfamiliar territory to me, so maybe its legit, dunno. Enough talk CC is not D&D, more pictures please :). Quite curious what you made of the 'Toad'.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

alcyon posted:

Guess we better leave the subject, but it is something I feel strongly about. A few years ago I helped a smalltime kitmaker with the masters of a 1/24 B-wing. The dude was very talented but left the hobby because he got hosed over (edit disclaimer: the current bwings produced are not related to that one). Which is a right shame cos now he wont cast the (awesome) shuttle from the movie Outland he was working on. These things kinda trickle and fester along. I wont judge anyone for buying these things, I can understand the 'want' for a certain kit, but selling for profit is another matter.

Now this is just a loop of hypocricy, isn't he "just as bad" for making kits (and profit) of other people's IPs? You are protecting the right of people to copy other people's IPs and then produce kits and not get those kits copied.

I just don't get the logic, because it is based on arguing that kits that are no longer in production must be cut of from the mainstream hobbyist while a bunch of hob-nob collectors keep the only unbuilt examples. And what's worse, arguing that they are available for sale even after going out of production is specifically because people buy kits to keep them boxed up, unassembled, to appreciate value, which is like the direct opposite of what you might expect the model building hobby to be about : building model kits. It's just insane to me, but then I'm not a collector, so what do I know.

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

lilljonas posted:

Now this is just a loop of hypocricy, isn't he "just as bad" for making kits (and profit) of other people's IPs? You are protecting the right of people to copy other people's IPs and then produce kits and not get those kits copied.

No, small scale reproduction of imagery from is usually tolerated or allowed by the respective IP holders. (I am not a native Anglophone, so am not sure if fair-use is entirely the correct term for the practice in this context, but the sentiment and logic runs along those lines.)
The limitations around -lets say- making a new Ma.k kit based on imagery from Kow Yokohama are 1)Small scale of production 2) Not using other kits in the production of a new kit (Par ex.:You can't use a the road wheel of a Tamiya Panther as the hipjoint for something else, or whatever.) Similar limitations extend to other franchises.
Hobbyists who are creating new content based on other people's IP are being policed to a large extend, whether it is through a gentleman's agreement with IP holders, the communty or through lawyering up. And as long as garagebuilders forfeit making profits there usually isn't an issue (production costs 1000, sell 10 at 101, profit 10).

Apart from the legality regarding using IP material, I do think there is a big difference between, let's say: A)studying pictures of an xwing, making your own blueprints and tinkering with plastic and putty for a year or B) dipping said subject in silicone and spitting out copies (and not respecting the time and effort kitmakers pour into their work). Either way the issue isn't just about what is and what isn't a copy, but the issue is mostly about profit.

lilljonas posted:

I just don't get the logic, because it is based on arguing that kits that are no longer in production must be cut of from the mainstream hobbyist while a bunch of hob-nob collectors keep the only unbuilt examples. And what's worse, arguing that they are available for sale even after going out of production is specifically because people buy kits to keep them boxed up, unassembled, to appreciate value, which is like the direct opposite of what you might expect the model building hobby to be about : building model kits. It's just insane to me, but then I'm not a collector, so what do I know.
I rather disagree with typecasting buyers of limited run garagekits as an evil hoarding hobnob elite and the mainstream hobbyist as the oppressed masses driven into the arms of Chinese and Italian copycats, that is just silly.
I am not much of an collector myself (as in not at all) and my views are pretty neutral on the practice, but I do not think it hinders the the availability of kits for builders too much. It can just as well promote the production of new kits by generating demand. Along the same line recasting can be argued as detrimental to the production of new material because scratchbuilders could be less eager to share their work. So in that case recasting can lead to less newly build kits, can it not?
I think it just depends on one's view of availability.(Either kit A,B,C,D and E are available for ever, but kit F,G and H will never be made. Or A-E are available for a period, two versions of F are made after a while and a year later another B and G etc.) I just don't think that any builder is entitled to any kit in particular at any time: If kit X isn't available, build kit Y instead, be patient and maybe kit X will be remade after a year or so.)

Not sure if I should regret or be glad I mentioned the subject at all. A random remark sparking such debate. :)

alcyon fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 9, 2010

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Apply this concept to Historical miniatures and see what happens.

For extra shits and giggles look at the various German infantry models available at 1:72 scale.

Enjoy :can:

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

:can:

Heh. The entire issue in one simple emoticon.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I enjoy scratchbuilding, the issue likely won't come up for me.

I type this then realise I have a box of casting stuff beside my chair I intended to use to make my own armoured vehicles. Doh. I was/maybe still am going to build a French VAB in the scale I prefer, then cast a bunch. If I sell any, should I send a cheque to Renault? :ohdear: (not trolling, just a joke)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
As far as I can tell the general opinion of casting in the wider model-making industry is that "it's not illegal if you don't get caught".