Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

Contra Calculus posted:

Can someone recommend me the Mega Man game that would best suit someone who is new to the series? It doesn't necessarily have to be a Mega Man game either, it can be a similar game to that series.

Mega Man X is a bit easier than the original Mega Mans, I feel. There's some tricky jumping and stuff, but the fact that you can walljump makes it a bit more forgiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Residual Toast posted:

Mega Man X is a bit easier than the original Mega Mans, I feel. There's some tricky jumping and stuff, but the fact that you can walljump makes it a bit more forgiving.

You mean the original MMX, right? I haven't played all that much of the X series, but found that outside of MMX1 (which still has a bastard of a final boss that I never could beat) they're among the hardest. But I'm basing that opinion only on X2, 4, and 7.

I think the best (and best introductory) Mega Man games give you a fair shot against most or all of the bosses with your default weapon, and have powers that are useful in more situations than simply against the boss who's weak against that specific weapon.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 2, 2010

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
I'm a big fan of Dragon Age, but I could never get into Baldur's Gate (and the sequel) because my knowledge of DnD rules is limited to reading the wikipedia summary of Monsters & Mazes. Are there any similar style RPGs that are easier to get into, and don't necessarily use DnD rules?

e: I also loved System Shock 2, is there anything else similar to this? If you say Thief or Deus Ex I will smack you.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Category Fun! posted:

I'm a big fan of Dragon Age, but I could never get into Baldur's Gate (and the sequel) because my knowledge of DnD rules is limited to reading the wikipedia summary of Monsters & Mazes. Are there any similar style RPGs that are easier to get into, and don't necessarily use DnD rules?

You mean like fantasy RPGs? Do you care about graphics, or system or what have you?

2e D&D is a confusing bitch, I'll admit, but for the most part a lot of older fantasy RPGs used it, Planescape, Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, etc.

System Shock 2; what about it did you like?

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Barudak posted:

You mean like fantasy RPGs? Do you care about graphics, or system or what have you?

2e D&D is a confusing bitch, I'll admit, but for the most part a lot of older fantasy RPGs used it, Planescape, Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, etc.

System Shock 2; what about it did you like?

I like most RPGs, and graphics aren't a big issue (as long as there are graphics).

What I liked about System Shock 2 was the first-person RPG mesh with a cool sense of progression. I'm not 100% sold on a fantasy first person RPG but I could be convinced.

Also if anything you recommend works on OSX then I might even sleep with you too!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Category Fun! posted:

I like most RPGs, and graphics aren't a big issue (as long as there are graphics).

What I liked about System Shock 2 was the first-person RPG mesh with a cool sense of progression. I'm not 100% sold on a fantasy first person RPG but I could be convinced.

Also if anything you recommend works on OSX then I might even sleep with you too!

Well if any type of RPG will do, KoToR 1/2 are both non-D&D but still turn-based and have solid skill progression, like a granddad to Dragon Age. Has many of the same features too. The first definitely got a mac release.

Morrowind might be a good option for a first-person RPG, since absolutely everything is unique and everywhere has lore and junk out the wazoo. It does not have a mac port.

Slightly worse in this regard but containing mac ports are:
If you want a really unique setting, Arx Fatalis is a good FPS RPG. Obviously there is also Vampire: The Masquerade.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Barudak posted:

Well if any type of RPG will do, KoToR 1/2 are both non-D&D but still turn-based and have solid skill progression, like a granddad to Dragon Age. Has many of the same features too. The first definitely got a mac release.

Morrowind might be a good option for a first-person RPG, since absolutely everything is unique and everywhere has lore and junk out the wazoo. It does not have a mac port.

Slightly worse in this regard but containing mac ports are:
If you want a really unique setting, Arx Fatalis is a good FPS RPG. Obviously there is also Vampire: The Masquerade.

I haven't played KotoR yet, but I didn't realise it had a mac port! I'll give that a shot. I'll look into Arx Fatalis too.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Category Fun! posted:

I haven't played KotoR yet, but I didn't realise it had a mac port! I'll give that a shot. I'll look into Arx Fatalis too.

I'm not sure how KoToR 1 is, as I never played it, but KoToR 2 has some pretty cool mods. If you play through and decide you're just missing something chances are there is a mod that can fix it so check that out, too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'm looking for a DS game to play at work, as work has recommended I find something to busy myself with during downtime.

It needs to be something that lasts at least 10 hours and won't make me want to go get a strategy guide to solve a puzzle. The issue arises in that I've played every Final Fantasy, Advanced Wars, Mario, Castlevania, Phoenix Wright, Shin Megami Tensei, and Pokemon game on the system in addition to a bunch of others.

I love collectible card games, RPGs, Strategy, and platformers with exploration elements. The kinds of game I don't like are racing games, FPS on the DS, and rhythm games. The game doesn't have to be A++ or anything, just interesting enough to hold my attention in 15-30 minute bursts.

Graphics, dated-ness, rarity, re-makes (not elecbits rare) aren't an issue.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 4, 2010

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

From the sounds of it you've probably already played Hotel Dusk, so what about Elite Beat Agents? It's a bizarre rhythm game where you play as dancing government agents who solve people's problems through popular music. The soundtrack is pretty good and the higher difficulties unlock more bonus songs. It's fairly difficult, which gives it a decent length + replayability. It's also easy to drop in and out of, since each level is the length of the song.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Category Fun! posted:

From the sounds of it you've probably already played Hotel Dusk, so what about Elite Beat Agents? It's a bizarre rhythm game where you play as dancing government agents who solve people's problems through popular music. The soundtrack is pretty good and the higher difficulties unlock more bonus songs. It's fairly difficult, which gives it a decent length + replayability. It's also easy to drop in and out of, since each level is the length of the song.

Sadly, I've played both. Hotel Dusk was a lot of fun, but rhythm games seem to rub me the wrong way so Elite Beat didn't do much but bore me. I'll edit that in.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Barudak posted:

I'm looking for a DS game to play at work, as work has recommended I find something to busy myself with during downtime.

It needs to be something that lasts at least 10 hours and won't make me want to go get a strategy guide to solve a puzzle. The issue arises in that I've played every Final Fantasy, Advanced Wars, Mario, Castlevania, Phoenix Wright, Shin Megami Tensei, and Pokemon game on the system in addition to a bunch of others.

I love collectible card games, RPGs, Strategy, and platformers with exploration elements. The kinds of game I don't like are racing games, FPS on the DS, and rhythm games. The game doesn't have to be A++ or anything, just interesting enough to hold my attention in 15-30 minute bursts.

Graphics, dated-ness, rarity, re-makes (not elecbits rare) aren't an issue.

Well let's see, The World Ends With You is a fantastic RPG to play through. There's also Picross DS if you like those kinds of puzzles. I also assume you've played the Dragon Quest games (including the latest DQ9), but have you played Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker? There's also the lesser-known Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes, which is like an RPG blended with a puzzle game blended with a strategy game. It's something else, alright. Also, the Etrian Odyssey series (the third iteration of which is coming out soon, if I'm not mistaken). Oh and there's an old action game called Scurge: Hive, which is pretty much Metroid from an isometric point of view.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Well let's see, The World Ends With You is a fantastic RPG to play through. There's also Picross DS if you like those kinds of puzzles. I also assume you've played the Dragon Quest games (including the latest DQ9), but have you played Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker? There's also the lesser-known Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes, which is like an RPG blended with a puzzle game blended with a strategy game. It's something else, alright. Also, the Etrian Odyssey series (the third iteration of which is coming out soon, if I'm not mistaken). Oh and there's an old action game called Scurge: Hive, which is pretty much Metroid from an isometric point of view.

Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes sounds interesting. May also check out Etrian Odyssey 3, didn't realize it was coming out soon.

I've played the others, for varying amounts of time, but thank you for the thorough recommendations. Thanks for your help!

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
The Professor Layton games are fun, but might have you running to check a guide for a puzzle or two (gently caress those block rearranging ones, make me think laterally will you :argh:). Both Zelda games on DS are pretty great if you can stomach using the stylus for basically everything (it's very well implemented but your left hand will resemble a claw after a while). Rune Factory 2 is an enjoyable timesink, and a noted improvement over the first one, but it probably won't change your mind about Harvest Moon games if you didn't like them already (good place to start if you're new to them, though).

I'm looking for a shooter of some description to play online with a friend (PC only). We've played both Left 4 Dead games to death, Alien Swarm didn't keep us too long, and anything much 'twitchier' than those isn't really his cup of tea. Actually he's more into flight sims and junk, so anything with vehicles would be great.

Just tried the new ArmA II demo on someone's recommendation, but it runs pretty badly on my modest rig, so I guess that's out of the question. Considered Bad Company 2 as well, seeing as we could probably stick together as a squad, but I'm not sure if that'll be entirely playable either (my CPU and memory are both fairly old). Anyway, doesn't have to be military or modern, as long as it involves shooting things, is fun to play cooperatively, and is relatively deep.

Verty3
May 24, 2007
Just finished thief 2, after playing back to back System Shock, then Thief 1.

Is Thief 3 going to suck and upset me like Dues Ex 2 did?

Where do I go after playing System Shock 2, Thief 1 and 2?

Edit: That question didn't really clarify what kind of game I was after, I guess that same vein of being really atmospheric and immersive.

Verty3 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 5, 2010

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Maybe Bioshock? It's one of those really polarizing games but it does ooze atmosphere. Play it with the setting that turns off the regeneration booths. Those things kind of take away all challenge from it and ruin the oppressive atmosphere.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Verty3 posted:

Edit: That question didn't really clarify what kind of game I was after, I guess that same vein of being really atmospheric and immersive.

I enjoyed Thief 3, but then again I played it before any of the other Thief games so ymmv. You should definitely play it though, if only for the Cradle level. Seriously, it is the single most terrifying level I (and a lot of other people) have ever played. It even tops the hotel level in Vampire: Bloodlines. Aside from Thief 3, if you want stealth with great atmosphere? Hmm... I'd recommend two games off the top of my head:

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Deus Ex

Those are great stealth games. They're extremely different from each other, but both great in their own way. If you specifically want the whole "sneak around a place undetected, taking people out" thing, Splinter Cell will get you there. Then again, Deus Ex will give you that feeling too, but in Splinter Cell, you feel more like a teched out assassin.

Deus Ex's stealth mechanics obviously aren't quite as developed as SC's, but the stealth is still quite fun in its own way and you can definitely design your character around a pure stealth playstyle and it's very viable that way... and the game's atmosphere is great.

If you're more into horror atmosphere where a big mechanic is getting away from your enemies instead of outright attacking them, the Penumbra series is supposed to be great for that. And, the same guys that made it are about to release a game called Amnesia: The Dark Descent (it's in the Steam "coming soon" list) that looks like it's going to be extremely scary and atmospheric, as well as modern looking.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 5, 2010

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Verty3 posted:

I played Thief 2 first, and enjoyed Thief 3. The gameplay is pretty much the same, it's just the engine that limits the size of the maps.

Splinter Cell: CT, like GreatGreen said, is also good if you want more stealth. And if you liked that you should also play Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow.

I found Mafia and SWAT 4 to be both atmospheric and immersive, but Mafia is not 'intense' like Thief or System Shock and SWAT 4 has no story to speak of. Might be worth checking out though.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

Verty3 posted:

I think Thief 3 is the best of the series. The maps are smaller and often divided into cells, but that doesn't hurt the gameplay any, while it has far more atmosphere than either of the first two. It's probably one of my favorite games ever.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Egomaniac posted:

I think Thief 3 is the best of the series. The maps are smaller and often divided into cells, but that doesn't hurt the gameplay any, while it has far more atmosphere than either of the first two. It's probably one of my favorite games ever.

In what order did you play the thief games? And in what year(s)? I'm not trying to troll you or anything, I'm just curious.

Helmsman
Nov 14, 2004
I think The Cradle alone is reason enough to play Thief 3. I don't think it's the best game in the series; I think that award goes to Thief 2. But there are cool new gadgets to use, and the level design is generally good, with a pretty good story from what I can remember.

Another different thing about T3 is that you don't just go from mission to mission like the other two. You can walk about the streets and sell your stolen goods off to a fence, and buy new thievery tools/weapons/arrows.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

Helmsman posted:

I think The Cradle alone is reason enough to play Thief 3. I don't think it's the best game in the series; I think that award goes to Thief 2. But there are cool new gadgets to use, and the level design is generally good, with a pretty good story from what I can remember.

Another different thing about T3 is that you don't just go from mission to mission like the other two. You can walk about the streets and sell your stolen goods off to a fence, and buy new thievery tools/weapons/arrows.
That actually sounds pretty neat. I may have to try it sometime.

Also, if you're looking for stealth, Crysis actually does it pretty well. While the game overall may be much less complex or deep than the Thief series, it handles stealth in a good and unique way, and on the hardest difficulty you HAVE to be stealthy unless you want your skull to get turned into chili. It's basically Predator: The Game.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

GyverMac posted:

In what order did you play the thief games? And in what year(s)? I'm not trying to troll you or anything, I'm just curious.

I actually think I talked about this earlier in the same thread. I played the first one just a couple of years after it came out and didn't consider it anything special so I quit a few missions in. Later I got the second game, which was awesome, so I went back and played the first. I had to force myself to finish it because the levels were so terrible.

Then I got Deadly Shadows on release and it instantly became one of my favorite games of all time. All the changes were for the better except it being divided into "cells," which is something that seems to bother a lot of other people a lot more than it does me. I don't really care about that either way, to tell the truth. The third person view is better, the atmosphere is stronger, the sound design is top-notch and really draws you in, I love the City sequences between missions, etc. I also never liked the rope arrow mechanic, which I know is a sore point for a lot of people, so I didn't care at all that it was removed.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Hey, what are some games with really robust character creation?

I want something with the level of customization (or close to it) that I understand City of Heroes or Champions Online have, but I don't want to play a MMO. I've played The Sims 3, White Knight Chronicles, and the Smackdown wrestling games.

I have a gaming-quality PC and all consoles/handhelds worth mentioning except a 360—which is a shame, as Fable II's probably exactly what I want.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
Not sure if it's what you're after gameplay-wise, but Neverwinter Nights 2, and its expansion, are pretty massively customizeable. The appearance options are pretty wide, and the gameplay options are massive, too, with dozens of classes and prestige classes and feats and so on.

I guess you could try some Elder Scrolls games, too, if you haven't already. That's more for customization of your character through actions and role-playing, though, rather than a City of Heroes-type deal.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

doctor iono posted:

Not sure if it's what you're after gameplay-wise, but Neverwinter Nights 2, and its expansion, are pretty massively customizeable. The appearance options are pretty wide, and the gameplay options are massive, too, with dozens of classes and prestige classes and feats and so on.

I guess you could try some Elder Scrolls games, too, if you haven't already. That's more for customization of your character through actions and role-playing, though, rather than a City of Heroes-type deal.

Neverwinter Nights 2 looks interesting. Do you just create one PC, or can you create your whole party?

I've tried Morrowind and Oblivion, and much as I wanted to like them, the sprawl and lack of direction were a major turnoff. But the character creation was definitely there.

Edit: Yeah, I've got Saint's Row 2. Dunno how I neglected to mention it.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 7, 2010

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Rollersnake posted:

Hey, what are some games with really robust character creation?

I want something with the level of customization (or close to it) that I understand City of Heroes or Champions Online have, but I don't want to play a MMO. I've played The Sims 3, White Knight Chronicles, and the Smackdown wrestling games.

I have a gaming-quality PC and all consoles/handhelds worth mentioning except a 360—which is a shame, as Fable II's probably exactly what I want.

Saints row 2 has the most in-depth customisation I've seen, at least for a game in its genre. It's got a slider for gender.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Rollersnake posted:

Neverwinter Nights 2 looks interesting. Do you just create one PC, or can you create your whole party?

I've tried Morrowind and Oblivion, and much as I wanted to like them, the sprawl and lack of direction were a major turnoff. But the character creation was definitely there.

Storm of Zehir, the second expansion (and both expansions are totally stand-alone, so don't worry about playing Neverwinter Nights 2 first), allows for full party customization. However, the story isn't as interesting as Mask of the Betrayer's.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Rollersnake posted:

I was personally disappointed by Neverwinter Nights 2, but then again I haven't played it in a while. I will say this though: Having just finished Dragon Age, it was everything I wanted NWN2 to be.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I'd like a city-builder game in the vein of Pharaoh/the Caesar series where you have to build towns and have production chains of various items. Preferably one with a minimum of military stuff because I'm a wuss, and if at all possible one that can be bought online.

tia

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Nastyman posted:

I was personally disappointed by Neverwinter Nights 2, but then again I haven't played it in a while. I will say this though: Having just finished Dragon Age, it was everything I wanted NWN2 to be.

Eh. I found Dragon Age's universe and plotline to be kind of generic and bland. So is Neverwinter Nights 2's, don't get me wrong, but Mask of the Betrayer is loving fascinating.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

President Ark posted:

I'd like a city-builder game in the vein of Pharaoh/the Caesar series where you have to build towns and have production chains of various items. Preferably one with a minimum of military stuff because I'm a wuss, and if at all possible one that can be bought online.

tia

Sim City 4 is probably up your ally, but I'll guess you've already played it.

Keep a look out for Kingdom of Keflings 1/2. 2 launches later this year and 1 should be dropping on the PC soon. It should be exactly what you're looking for.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

President Ark posted:

Settlers 2 may be worth considering.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

doctor iono posted:

Eh. I found Dragon Age's universe and plotline to be kind of generic and bland. So is Neverwinter Nights 2's, don't get me wrong, but Mask of the Betrayer is loving fascinating.

You know, I think I'm gonna give that game another try. I haven't tried any of the expansions yet but if they're as good as you say I'm up for trying it again. I've been on kind of a WRPG binge lately anyway and I'm running out of games.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Nastyman posted:

You know, I think I'm gonna give that game another try. I haven't tried any of the expansions yet but if they're as good as you say I'm up for trying it again. I've been on kind of a WRPG binge lately anyway and I'm running out of games.

Mask of the Betrayer has the best story, dialogue, characters, and atmosphere I've seen since Planescape: Torment. Storm of Zehir - not so much, but the gameplay's solid if you like classic D&D stuff - dungeon-crawling and interesting challenges in all sorts of environments and stuff, and a more party-based style. You can even have different members of the party participate in a conversation for different skill checks.

Craeb Maet
Apr 24, 2007
I pinch.
Couldn't really find anywhere else to ask this and not sure how many players of the game type are in this thread but I just started reading the League of Legends thread, Heroes of Newerth, and Bloodlines and checking out the games from videos and stuff.

It seems like there are a few of these out there and most cost money I think. What would be the best one to buy? I think one of them was free but I don't care to spend 30 dollars if something is better than free. What has the best community, public and goon wise is also an important factor in my decision as well. And I noticed some have a whole hell of a lot of heroes to select but that's useless if people only use the 4 overpowered ones or something, so balance as well.

Just any helpful insight would be great. I liked PvP in UO a decade ago, and I think I would like WoW PvP if I didn't have to spend my life playing to have a chance.

Also try not to base recommendations off how great the game is because it was your "first", that tends to happen with MMO and PvP type games for some reason, so more current the best

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
League of Legends is definitely free (with an unnecessary cash shop) and from my experience has the nicer community and is the easiest of the games to get started in. The community is generally okay with new players but you'll be expected to know the game well before the middle ranks.

Heroes of Newerth is pay (but free to play this week,) but I find there's a lot added to the game to make it artificially complex and unfriendly to new players. The community echoes the game developers attitudes. Try to play with goons if you're going for this one or be prepared to deal with some real elitist assholes even on the lower ranks.

Both games suffer a lot of the common DotA issues (unbalanced heroes being the major one but at least in both all the heroes are quite usable.)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So I want to play a Settlers game (not the latest one though, runs like poo poo on my computer), and I want to know which one is the "best". I prefer the path-based gameplay that they had in earlier versions, and I know they diverted from that heavily later on, so I'm trying to avoid the later ones.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Get Settlers 2 10th Anniversary Edition, it's the best. It's just a 3D remake of Settlers 2, but it's a good one and Settlers 2 gameplay still holds up to this day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I'm looking for something easy to pick up / put down with a lot of replayability for when my internet goes down. I'd just go for a vertical shooter but I want to make use of widescreen. Any ideas?