Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I haven't actually made anything real yet but I got my eyes at JoAnn's in the craft notions type section. Nothing special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Ms. Happiness posted:

Where does everyone get their amigurumi eyes?

Like the Captain, I got mine at Joann. They're really inexpensive and work well, but once you open a package of them they tend to spill out easily...

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

I get mine from someone on Etsy but I'm pretty sure you could buy them in bulk. Someone told me once to check places that sell taxidermy eyes.

ninja edit: Here's the bulk link: http://www.harveyshobbyhut.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=2

here's the person I get them from on Etsy:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/6060

edit again: Does elastic or stretchy yarn exist?

There's some kinds of stretchy sock yarn in the yarn aisle of Joann's.

discordiaskitten
Aug 22, 2004

I'm a fucking genuis

shark farts posted:

I actually have seen this book, I think! I haven't taken a very good look inside though. I should go to Barnes & Noble or Borders and search for it. It'd help just to learn how to better construct simple clothes and flat pieces - my knowledge of that stuff is barely even rudimentary. I learned to crochet by doing amigurumi exclusively, so stuff worked in continuous spirals is really the extent of my know-how.

It's probably a decent investment for you, then - I've come at it the other way because I've made a number of larger pieces (mostly cardigans for various children!), so I already have the logic of clothing. What I struggle with is sizing; this book has a great conversion method for each piece so you can scale up and down at will (within reason!) and I'm slowly getting the idea of proportions. Since the patterns are designed for an 18ins toy and you can scale down to what you have, you'll be able to whizz things up really quickly without wasting tons of expensive yarn. I feel like I take my life (or my purse, at least) in my hands every time I order the yarn for a new piece of clothing...even making something for my 4yo is pushing £40 in yarn costs each time.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer

shark farts posted:

As for that unicorn, Sweet As Sin - I really hope it wins! What exactly is the contest for/what are the prizes? I actually met Peter S. Beagle at Anime Expo last month and he was really nice, but it was really random and sudden so I was dumbstruck and had nothing worthwhile to say to him. How embarrassing. :v:

It is from Conlan Art, the publishers of the new The Last Unicorn comic (which is gorgeous get it). Basically I either get a call from Peter himself and 8 of his books, all autographed, or the last unicorn book, or some art prints, or an audiobook, plus my art included on a special gallery on the last nuber and the possibility of it appearing on an art book due next year.

I'm writing EVERYTHING for the dragon. I've got a head already. And I'm definitely stuck on how to word it for a pattern.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Don't wanna be your man, just wanna play with you.
Sometimes when you have to stick increases in random places there is no streamlined way to write the pattern. If you want you can email it to me and I'll help you word it better. You can also post it here and we can all try and figure out the best way to word it.

shark farts
Nov 28, 2007

I actually saw the Last Unicorn comic at Peter's table when I saw him at that convention, I looked through it and it was gorgeous. I need to get it! I hope you win. I wish we could vote!

I should buy that book of outfits for bears. :I I am working on my panda now, finally making progress! I hit a roadblock with the legs/body, kept making them too big. It was hard to make it look fat like a panda but still be reasonably proportioned. Here she is:

I'm quite fond of her, she's grown on me a bit! Unfortunately the photo is kind of crappy and she looks better in person. But I can't upload her pattern until I give her an outfit, which is the hard part. I wanted to do a very simplified version of something like this, like a traditional-looking Chinese shirt with the high collar. I've been trying to do it in bright red with gold/yellow edging. It's hard. I've been doing it as one long piece of HDC, with two big "buttonholes" for the armholes. It wraps around like a vest and meets in the front. I'm starting to wonder if I should just make a back piece and two front pieces and treat it like you would with a real shirt, but I've never done that before :ohdear:

My first attempt looked awful and when I tried to make a clean SC edge around it, it got all puckered and gross, and the HDC looked really lumpy. Eew. I'm mostly just ranting, nobody here needs to come to my clueless self's rescue, haha.

I'm having fun making my exchange package :3: Gotta finish it before I move back to school!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
You are making a pattern for that Panda, right?

Right?

The good news is that I have officially joined the rank of crocheters! :toot: Check it out! I have finished my first project:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

A cute little onigiri!

And I must say holy crap making plushies using crochet is awesome! Making the same thing through knitting would have taken me all afternoon, but with this I whipped one up in no time and then make a second one so I could give them to my twin nephews.

Now I'm looking for a new pattern to take on! :dance:

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

shark farts posted:

I wanna see the base of the ears! lol, I'm interested to see how that came out.

shark farts
Nov 28, 2007

Yes, absolutely! I wouldn't dream of making anything without writing the pattern down anymore. I am addicted to writing them. :D So once I figure out this goofyass shirt, the panda pattern will be up for sale! I need to figure out like a special day/event or something when I share some of my etsy patterns for free. I feel like an rear end asking money for them. Maybe I should get a blog/website where I can organize everything and offer downloads. I dunno! Either way, I am thrilled that someone else has begun making crocheted plushies too. I love your onigiri!

Anyway, here are the panda ears for you popgenie:

As you can see, the back isn't as clean-looking as the front, but that's probably my fault anyway. But honestly, it was such a simple solution and worked so well! That's what I did for sewing the head to the body, too. I just switched to white and slip stitched around the top of the body and it looks great. Forget you, invisible sewing thread. I DON'T NEED YOU aaah

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

shark farts posted:

Yes, absolutely! I wouldn't dream of making anything without writing the pattern down anymore. I am addicted to writing them. :D So once I figure out this goofyass shirt, the panda pattern will be up for sale! I need to figure out like a special day/event or something when I share some of my etsy patterns for free. I feel like an rear end asking money for them. Maybe I should get a blog/website where I can organize everything and offer downloads. I dunno! Either way, I am thrilled that someone else has begun making crocheted plushies too. I love your onigiri!

You patterns are amazing and I feel bad that I missed out when you were handing out the kitten one. But that Panda would be perfect for all of my leftover black and white yarn.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Wandering Knitter posted:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

A cute little onigiri!

:hfive: onigiri buddy! It looks good! I'm glad to have brought one of you knitters to the dark side. Whenever I meet knitters and tell them I crochet they're always like "Oh noooo you need to be doing this" like I was denouncing Jesus in a room full of Christians.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

:hfive: onigiri buddy! It looks good! I'm glad to have brought one of you knitters to the dark side. Whenever I meet knitters and tell them I crochet they're always like "Oh noooo you need to be doing this" like I was denouncing Jesus in a room full of Christians.

I was pretty much the same way until I realized that every time I bought a plush doll from someone else it was always crocheted. Then after a few months hemming and hawing I forced myself to go get crochet lessons from the same woman who taught me how to knit many years ago.

I'm now saving up some cash because I need these books.

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 7, 2010

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

I have all of those except the first one. They're all completely worth it and then some. Another good one to get is Elizabeth Doherty's amigurumi book. It's a little bit advanced, but shark farts and I have both got it so I'm sure we could talk you through stuff.

Edit: The crobots book is alright. Find it somewhere and look through it before you buy it. They've usually got it at Michaels and Hobby Lobby.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

I have all of those except the first one. They're all completely worth it and then some. Another good one to get is Elizabeth Doherty's amigurumi book. It's a little bit advanced, but shark farts and I have both got it so I'm sure we could talk you through stuff.

Edit: The crobots book is alright. Find it somewhere and look through it before you buy it. They've usually got it at Michaels and Hobby Lobby.

I've found all but the first two at Michaels/A.C. Moore. I'm waiting until I can use a 50% off coupon on them to grab them, since they would be cheaper than amazon.

I really want that Creepy Cute Crochet one just for the Cthulhu plush. I got four nephews who NEED those for Christmas :3:

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

I really want that Creepy Cute Crochet one just for the Cthulhu plush. I got four nephews who NEED those for Christmas :3:

http://cthulhucrochet.blogspot.com/2008/05/tiny-cthulhu-free-pattern.html

She even has a pattern for Bartleby from Bone. :3:

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

CYCLOPS
WAS RIGHT

There's a couple of free Cthulhu patterns around. I like Tiny Cthulhu and The Elder God. Creepy Cute Crochet isn't the best for a beginner--the instructions are technically correct but not written the way most others are and there are a few quirks. On the Cthulhu, I don't think anyone has ever figured out the wings.

I love Ana Paula Rimoli's patterns. So cute and they're simple. Check out her blog to see what she's up to and to find a couple of free patterns. She also sells patterns on etsy so you can pick one up without the commitment of a book.

shark farts posted:

I need to figure out like a special day/event or something when I share some of my etsy patterns for free. I feel like an rear end asking money for them. Maybe I should get a blog/website where I can organize everything and offer downloads.

I think you can share your patterns for free on Ravelry. Ah, here we go! How to set up free pattern downloads on Ravelry. There's also a guide to selling your patterns on Rav.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Devi posted:

There's a couple of free Cthulhu patterns around. I like Tiny Cthulhu and The Elder God. Creepy Cute Crochet isn't the best for a beginner--the instructions are technically correct but not written the way most others are and there are a few quirks. On the Cthulhu, I don't think anyone has ever figured out the wings.

Well that's good to know about the book. Maybe I'll do the Tiny Cthulhu pattern instead. Maybe I'll make a jellyfish next to practice the spiral crochet thingy for it.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
Thank you Isis, but I'm getting frustrated, even though I'm writing every little thing I've lost some stitches and I do plain weird stuff I'm not sure someone else would understand.

Also I'm not sure how someone would add the wire skeleton, I'm working around it and "sculpting" as I go, wonder if that would work for someone else? Or they could be soft versions of my work...

Also, this thing is HUUUUGE. 3 unicorns huge. But thankfully also easier to work with. I've already got a head, neck, and a bit less than half of the body. So far I'm at a loss on how to make the wings.

Sharkfarts, your panda is completely adorable. Sadly, I've no idea on how to make tiny clothes and the biggest things I make are hats.

Duh! forgot to ask, what do you stuff your critters with? I'm using fabric on similar colors, but I've always been curious as to what others use.

Sweet As Sin fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 8, 2010

Put it in Your Mouf
Jan 8, 2009

I've found all but the first two at Michaels/A.C. Moore. I'm waiting until I can use a 50% off coupon on them to grab them, since they would be cheaper than amazon.

It's not quite 50% but there is a 40% coupon for Michaels if you sign up for their weekly emails. https://www.michaels.com/art/online/registrationForm?cm_ven=2008HomePageEmail&cm_ite=Sign%20Up

I hate finding something in store and knowing drat well it would be a few dollars cheaper on Amazon. I even have free 2-day shipping, but it's so hard to put down a beautiful knitting or crochet book when it's in your hands.

edit: Sweet As Sin, I use polyester fiberfill on my stuffies. It's about $3.50 for a big bag. The extra cheap stuff often bunches up, so I spend the extra few cents. I currently have a blue bag of Poly-Fill brand from Walmart, works great and goes a long way.

Put it in Your Mouf fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 8, 2010

shark farts
Nov 28, 2007

I also buy polyester stuffing, seconding to look for the big blue bag of Poly-Fil brand stuff. It's worth the extra dollar or so because it doesn't bunch up and get all gross like Put it in Your Mouf said. You can also fill up a tied-up piece of pantyhose with plastic pellets or dried beans, and use that to give your plushie's limbs some weight, but I've never tried it.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

I managed to talk one of my co-workers who is constantly seeing stuff and going "MAKE ME ONE" into starting up crochet. I gave her a spare set of plastic hooks, some excess/scrap yarn I had laying around, a couple of stitch markers, and one each steel/plastic yarn needles. Showed her a few of the basics and how to read patterns and where to find videos etc., so hopefully she picks up the hobby. She said that she likes repetitive tasks... welp.

Funny coincidence: her mom works at the Joann that I frequent. It's highly likely that I've seen her there.

Also a funny coincidence: every time I go in, I get the same cashier. She's awful cute... too bad I'm socially inept!

I also made some headway on my granny squares for the weighted companion cube afghan; I'm becoming proficient enough making them where they only take about 15 minutes and I barely pay attention. Muscle memory is taking over. Should I be scared? I've gotten 51 squares completed out of the 529 needed.

Put it in Your Mouf
Jan 8, 2009
I just bought this pattern: http://www.knitpicks.com/patterns/Comfy_Boyfriend_Crochet_Sweater_Pattern__D10129220.html

and I'm loving pumped. I can't wait to make myself that. I am going to do it in the yarn shown, and I hope it's every bit as comfortable as it looks.

edit:picture

Put it in Your Mouf fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 8, 2010

electricgoat
Aug 17, 2009
Sweet as Sin, I can't really read or write crochet patterns, so I try to draw pictures of what I do in each row. If I'm making a stuffed toy in a spiral, I draw a circle with a certain number of lines in it to indicate the number of scs I've started with. Then, I draw a circle around it, with a line for each stitch, and a V for each increase (a decrease is an upside down V). The following example is a row that had 6 sts in it, but you increase every 2nd st, followed by a row where you increase every 3rd st:

You can draw a picture to represent pretty much anything you want to do. It might be helpful to do a graphic representation of your pattern, and then translate it into proper notation afterwards, maybe with the help of a friend who's more familiar with crochet terminology. Or just make the item, then go back and make a pattern based on the final product. :)

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

electricgoat posted:

You can draw a picture to represent pretty much anything you want to do.

That's a lot like some European patterns and Japanese patterns. They use diagrams with different marks to differentiate stitches.

Here's an example:

In that example, the center kanji is something like "start with two loops". Then moves on to the chain stitches (the ovals). The double crochet is depicted as a T with a slash. So here, in round one, it's two double crochets followed by a chain stitch around the first row, then chaining 3 and moving to row 2.

In a western pattern, this would read something like
code:
start with slip knot over two loops, ch 4.  *2 dc, ch 1, repeat around from * 5 times.  Ch 3.
One big benefit of the diagram pattern is that you can literally see where each stitch is supposed to go. If you look at row 2 in this pattern example, you can see that it puts two dcs with a chain between them into the chain stitches in row 1. The tails of the dc marks point to which stitch they're attaching to. There are some standardized ways to notate your stitches, but really anything will do as long as you include a legend with the pattern.

TacticalGranny fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 8, 2010

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/chart_crochet.html

And this is the standardized version I had to look up when I found a Japans PDF that had that charting style in it for crochet. Not that I can do it anyway, but, you know.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
Wow guys, you are great and that's a lot of info. I decided to take a little break from it as I was getting really frustrated, but I think I'll be able to actually write a pattern. Thanks!

electricgoat
Aug 17, 2009

popgenie posted:

That's a lot like some European patterns and Japanese patterns. They use diagrams with different marks to differentiate stitches.

Here's an example:

In that example, the center kanji is something like "start with two loops". Then moves on to the chain stitches (the ovals). The double crochet is depicted as a T with a slash. So here, in round one, it's two double crochets followed by a chain stitch around the first row, then chaining 3 and moving to row 2.

In a western pattern, this would read something like
code:
start with slip knot over two loops, ch 4.  *2 dc, ch 1, repeat around from * 5 times.  Ch 3.
One big benefit of the diagram pattern is that you can literally see where each stitch is supposed to go. If you look at row 2 in this pattern example, you can see that it puts two dcs with a chain between them into the chain stitches in row 1. The tails of the dc marks point to which stitch they're attaching to. There are some standardized ways to notate your stitches, but really anything will do as long as you include a legend with the pattern.

Wow, that's amazing, Popgenie! I had no idea such a system existed! My crocheting friends all mock my idiot picture-patterns, and it's great to know that's a well-established system! And I do think visuals make way more sense in a crochet pattern; crocheting is so much more... freestyle than knitting. Drawing what you mean is so much clearer than writing it out!

I'm going to look into that and see if I can make some sense out of European patterns, since North American ones are gibberish. Thank you!! :D

shark farts
Nov 28, 2007

If you need any help "translating" a pattern, let me know! I'm actually one of those people that works better with written patterns rather than visual patterns, though I haven't really taken the time to sit down and figure them out.

When I did first begin crocheting, though (and only up until recently when I became more familiar with the math involved with increasing and decreasing) I always would draw myself a circle and make little hatch marks and dots around it to make sure all of my increases would fit evenly and stuff. So I do understand how non-written patterns are helpful.

But yeah, I'm willing to take a stab at deciphering some if you'd like!

discordiaskitten
Aug 22, 2004

I'm a fucking genuis

electricgoat posted:

I'm going to look into that and see if I can make some sense out of European patterns, since North American ones are gibberish. Thank you!! :D

You probably know this already but don't forget UK patterns use different terminology for the stitches - your sc is my dc, your dc is my tr, and so on.

Creepy Cute Crochet uses these diagrams - I think it's the only US book I have with them in. Otherwise they're mostly used for anything working in the round or to demonstrate a repeated pattern. Personally I prefer written instructions but each to their own :)

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

shark farts posted:

Anyway, here are the panda ears for you popgenie:

DUDE those look awesome! I would have thought it'd be more noticeable, but I'm glad it isn't. Happy to help!

p.s. I've still got a plan for the wings/fins for the night fury pattern, but I'm helplessly overrun by granny squares and video games at the moment...

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
Just wanted to pop back in and say thanks to everyone that suggested I use the invisible decrease. I started working on another amigurumi today and I could really tell the difference. It also helped that I realized I had been crocheting the wrong side (farthest from me rather than closest to me). I'll post a picture when I'm done.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
So my autistic sister is also learning how to crochet (she made her first scarf! :neckbeard:) and wants to make a bag next. Like a market/grocery bag she can use to carry her crochet supplies in.

Are there any good easy bag patterns out there? Probably something that only uses single and double crochet?

Esther Gum
Dec 27, 2005
:-)
I realized today that I crochet...backwards? Like when I make amigurumi (I made a tin and 3 sardines yesterday!) I have to turn it right side in before I finish and stuff. Am I just retarded? I don't know if it's "wrong" really but it makes some things more difficult. :smith:

Put it in Your Mouf
Jan 8, 2009

Esther Gum posted:

I realized today that I crochet...backwards? Like when I make amigurumi (I made a tin and 3 sardines yesterday!) I have to turn it right side in before I finish and stuff. Am I just retarded? I don't know if it's "wrong" really but it makes some things more difficult. :smith:

What side are you considering the "right" side? I'm guessing it's single crochet since it's amigurumi. When you crochet SC in the round, the part that winds up inside will look like a series of letter V's, stacked on top of each other. The outside is just bumps that to me, don't resemble anything. I have made a few amigurumi, and only on the latest one did I turn it V-side out, the pattern called for me to do this.

But there's no "right" or "wrong" with this, honestly- the "right" side is the side you like the look of best! If you get the V's on the inside, you're not doing anything weird at all, and there's no way to get the V's on the outside other than just turning your work. (well, learning to crochet with the hook in your left hand would do it, but screw that)

When you're doing a round, you're going from right to left, correct? If so you're fine.

Esther Gum
Dec 27, 2005
:-)

Put it in Your Mouf posted:

What side are you considering the "right" side? I'm guessing it's single crochet since it's amigurumi. When you crochet SC in the round, the part that winds up inside will look like a series of letter V's, stacked on top of each other. The outside is just bumps that to me, don't resemble anything. I have made a few amigurumi, and only on the latest one did I turn it V-side out, the pattern called for me to do this.

But there's no "right" or "wrong" with this, honestly- the "right" side is the side you like the look of best! If you get the V's on the inside, you're not doing anything weird at all, and there's no way to get the V's on the outside other than just turning your work. (well, learning to crochet with the hook in your left hand would do it, but screw that)

When you're doing a round, you're going from right to left, correct? If so you're fine.

I do it with any stitch or project...blanket, hat, amigurumi, pot holder. Like with a dc - you know the right and wrong side. If I make something flat with dc, I have to flip it over to see the right side. But I just checked, I do put the hook in from right to left so I guess it can't be too bad. :dance:

Put it in Your Mouf
Jan 8, 2009

Esther Gum posted:

I do it with any stitch or project...blanket, hat, amigurumi, pot holder. Like with a dc - you know the right and wrong side. If I make something flat with dc, I have to flip it over to see the right side. But I just checked, I do put the hook in from right to left so I guess it can't be too bad. :dance:

I think your individual right side is the back, so when that's not facing you at the end you feel like you did it wrong. It's all personal preference, so don't worry. You're not crocheting backwards.

Personally, my "front" is the side that is facing me when my starting slip knot hangs to the bottom left of my project when I am doing a flat piece of any stitch. The exception is I've been making flower granny squares that I flip over to do the petals of, because they puff out and look better worked the opposite of every other row.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

So my autistic sister is also learning how to crochet (she made her first scarf! :neckbeard:) and wants to make a bag next. Like a market/grocery bag she can use to carry her crochet supplies in.

Are there any good easy bag patterns out there? Probably something that only uses single and double crochet?

This one involves crocheting in the round (not too hard for me, but some of my friends I've tried to teach have had trouble.) and it's like a big circle/hat. http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/60551.html?r=1 You turn every round so it's sort of like a scarf too I guess...

She could also (since she's familiar with rectangular shapes, just make a really wide scarf and fold it so it makes a bag with a flap over it messenger bag style. Then you just sew the sides closed and add a strap.

If that made no sense, then check out Lion Brand's website. You have to sign up, but they send you new patterns and deals and that's about it. They have a bunch of bags on there.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

She could also (since she's familiar with rectangular shapes, just make a really wide scarf and fold it so it makes a bag with a flap over it messenger bag style. Then you just sew the sides closed and add a strap.

See, that's the sort of thing I was thinking of, but I kinda want to find a "real" pattern for one so she can learn how to read patterns too.

It's harder to find one than I thought. All of the bags on Lion Brand is just terrible. And almost always uses furry yarn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Put it in Your Mouf
Jan 8, 2009

See, that's the sort of thing I was thinking of, but I kinda want to find a "real" pattern for one so she can learn how to read patterns too.

It's harder to find one than I thought. All of the bags on Lion Brand is just terrible. And almost always uses furry yarn.

I looked on Ravelry for you, but the most common bag is a mesh stitch
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/crochet-market-bag
Basically a mesh stitch is chaining and single crochet, maybe you could learn that stitch and show her? It's pretty basic, but if she wants to master single and double before anything else that's a valid option as well.

The other thing I was thinking, you could write a pattern for her. Something like make two larger rectangles or squares of single crochet for the front and back of the bag. Make two smaller rectangles in SC for the sides, and one for the bottom. Then join them all together when complete, and make a strap of single crochet for a handle. You could write this easily yourself in real pattern terms, and it would familiarize her with abbreviations without being overwhelmingly full of them. It would just use chain, slip stitch, and single crochet. As a beginner, I found patterns worked in a few similar pieces then crocheted together to be the easiest for me, since I didn't have a big thing hanging and getting in my way, and I was just making several basic shapes.

It wouldn't take much time experimenting with a length of single crochet to see how many stitches would be a good size for a bag.