Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
I just want to say I had something to acknowledge the hard work of the DIYers in the thread lately other than, "Wow." Unfortunately I don't have any frame of reference, so all I'll say is, wow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iCaPpY
Sep 18, 2007

WHERE'S
MY
CHIPPY??
Just ordered my first board. I ended up deciding on the Tracker trucks after checking them out, grabbed a skate tool too. Can't wait for it to come in, getting it delivered to work so I don't have to wait till I get home :smug:

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!

RobotEmpire posted:

I just want to say I had something to acknowledge the hard work of the DIYers in the thread lately other than, "Wow." Unfortunately I don't have any frame of reference, so all I'll say is, wow!

Here is a frame of reference.
http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/longboard-board-building/

I should have some of the cheap plywood test boards cut out tomorrow. Next week I plan on making a vlam board in that press with whatever wood I have lying around. Hopefully I can find a piece of birdseye maple and some tiger oak.

I started these projects because my goon friend got me hooked a couple weeks ago. Before that I never got into any kind of boarding. I think it was because my first boarding experience was when I was 5 I took oldschool plastic board down a hill, and all I remember is it not ending well.

Growing up in rural Idaho with no where to board was also a big part of it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Not to long ago I got my nephew into longboarding, and he ended up getting some Sector9 complete at the mall or something. A couple of days later he decided it would be fun to bomb a hill while eating a donut. He bit it pretty hard but came out ok I guess, just road rash, could have been worse.

His mom thinks it's my fault for getting him into skating, guess I'm the cool/rear end in a top hat uncle huh :v:

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Mmmmmm one of these badass boards is in my future and I really can't wait. Its my birthday present to myself. I'll set it up with Independent 215's and either Venom Sidewinders, 80a Orangatang In Heats, or 83a Orangatang Stimulus, and probably start neglecting my other rides

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

-Atom- posted:

I want to meet a person that genuinely dislikes Rob Dyrdek

(besides Big Black)

Wait a minute, why does Big Black have a problem with him?

Last I heard he quit the show to raise a family.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

leica posted:

Most of the last season of Rob and Big there were big contract disputes between Big Black and Dyrdek mostly over money and they haven't spoke since the show ended. That whole 'Big Black had a kid' was just a way to end the show.

It's a real bummer since they looked like such good friends :3:

Lurch
Mar 5, 2010

by Lowtax
Man, best thing about working night shift (I'm a Rent-A-Cop.:ssh:)is knocking off at 11pm then going straight to my local skatepark and having the place to myself.

That's right. Skating in full uniform complete with torch and key holder. Where is your god now?

Lurch fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 2, 2010

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

leica posted:

Often times the story lines that unfold on a reality television show do not accurately reflect reality.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Just saw Transworld's new video Hallelujah, Bledsoe is amazing. Torey Pudwill had the last part, well deserved. The flailing arms are a little distracting but he has an insane bag of flip in flip out tricks. It's a good hard hitting videos that clocks in at about 30 minutes. Good for a before session viewing to get psyched.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Lurch posted:

Man, best thing about working night shift (I'm a Rent-A-Cop.:ssh:)is knocking off at 11pm then going straight to my local skatepark and having the place to myself.

That's right. Skating in full uniform complete with torch and key holder. Where is your god now?

Gonna go ahead and request a video

Lurch
Mar 5, 2010

by Lowtax
I don't have anything capable of taking video but I'll put up some photos next time I swipe my housemate's camera.

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007
So rather than fix up my too-small old board I decided to go out and support my local shop while I was back visiting my parents in Venice Beach...

Click here for the full 1080x1920 image.

Santa Monica Airlines prototype deck, 9 inch (made by Jesse Martinez)
60mm Hosoi Rockets
Ace Trucks
Bones Reds
Bones Hardcore Bushings

I've been having so much fun these past few days. By far the best board I've ever ridden.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I bought a new complete this weekend. I had been skating on an 8'' deck since I started back a couple years ago. I made the switch to an 8.25'' with Indy 159's and it really makes a big difference. To put it simply the board just stays attached to my feet better. I wish I had done this a while back.

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007
So in my trip to the skate shop I also picked up another set of Bones hardcore bushings and Reds bearings, and new Tunnel Tarantula 70mm 75a wheels. Put them on my old 45 inch longboard, and I am amazed. Hauls serious rear end, and the soft wheels are perfect for crappy New Orleans roads. Now I have two awesome boards.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Got the big orange bastard I posted above. Paid for it on Monday, it showed up about 26hours later on Tuesday. Can't complain about shipping time!
The deck itself is great... 39 x 9.8", with 30.5", 31.25", and 32" wheelbases. Its a 5/8" drop deck, with great concave that is about as deep as the drop is. The concave has a wide, flat center that curls up at the ends of the deck to lock you in well, but remain VERY mellow and comfortable feeling. The slight drop is great, it really locks you in without giving the hammocky feeling of boards with a larger drop. The pocket where the drop meets the concave is extremely comfortable, and truly fits the foot well. There is a slight flat spot in the pocket that I find is perfect to put my foot into for toeside stand-up, and hands-down slides.
Heres something to really show the bends and pockets on this deck. Its very well designed.

Its a really great board set up with Independent 215's and some slippery soft wheels. It feels a bit like a snowboard set up like this, and I love it. Right now I've got it on Venom Sidewinders, but I'm going to snag some race wheels for it. A good grippy shape with a decently drifty urethane should treat me well. Maybe I'll try out the new Classic 'Thane Abec 11 Zig Zags, or new Venom Cannibals, or something else entirely. There are so many options for gear these days, its amazing, but so hard to choose. Hoping to take the board up to some higher speeds soon. So far I've only hit about 15mph, and been doing a lot of stand-up sliding on it.

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Aug 4, 2010

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.

Horizontal Tree posted:

Got the big orange bastard I posted above. Paid for it on Monday, it showed up about 26hours later on Tuesday. Can't complain about shipping time!
The deck itself is great... 39 x 9.8", with 30.5", 31.25", and 32" wheelbases. Its a 5/8" drop deck, with great concave that is about as deep as the drop is. The concave has a wide, flat center that curls up at the ends of the deck to lock you in well, but remain VERY mellow and comfortable feeling. The slight drop is great, it really locks you in without giving the hammocky feeling of boards with a larger drop. The pocket where the drop meets the concave is extremely comfortable, and truly fits the foot well. There is a slight flat spot in the pocket that I find is perfect to put my foot into for toeside stand-up, and hands-down slides.
Heres something to really show the bends and pockets on this deck. Its very well designed.

Its a really great board set up with Independent 215's and some slippery soft wheels. It feels a bit like a snowboard set up like this, and I love it. Right now I've got it on Venom Sidewinders, but I'm going to snag some race wheels for it. A good grippy shape with a decently drifty urethane should treat me well. Maybe I'll try out the new Classic 'Thane Abec 11 Zig Zags, or new Venom Cannibals, or something else entirely. There are so many options for gear these days, its amazing, but so hard to choose. Hoping to take the board up to some higher speeds soon. So far I've only hit about 15mph, and been doing a lot of stand-up sliding on it.

I want to try this so badly, it looks like a blast.

Snap Your Fingers
Dec 16, 2006
I've been insightful for about 17 years.
I'm shooting some skate stuff to air on the TV channel I work for tomorrow. It's probably going to be edited into a pretty dry package for our morning show and/or some trick tips, but I'll try to piece my own thang together and show you guys.

iCaPpY
Sep 18, 2007

WHERE'S
MY
CHIPPY??

Snap Your Fingers posted:

I'm shooting some skate stuff to air on the TV channel I work for tomorrow. It's probably going to be edited into a pretty dry package for our morning show and/or some trick tips, but I'll try to piece my own thang together and show you guys.

Can't wait.

My board still hasn't come in yet :(

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

I did a little waterski board work last night.
I used some brass enamel in my baby spray gun and it turned out amazing.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Time to take that badboy to a nice beach and dance around!

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

My goon friend told me the other day that he would take me up on my offer of a trade for his pintale. He wanted brass trucks on his, which is why I decided to do some test painting on mine.

We cleaned off the pin tale recently so I have some plans of putting a veneer on the bottom to class it up a pit.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?
Rode my longboard all over New Orleans today and honestly haven't had that much fun in a long time. Wish I had a camera to get some pictures of how brutal some of the streets were.

edit; We saw a group of about 5 shortboarders shredding a ways off Canal, don't know how they handled some of the roads.

redz fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Aug 9, 2010

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007

redz posted:

Ride my longboard all over New Orleans today and honestly haven't had that much fun in a long time. Wish I had a camera to get some pictures of how brutal some of the streets were.

I did the same thing today. Stayed uptown, enjoyed the new pavement. Found an abandoned community pool off Carrollton that looks like a whole lot of fun. Can't see how anyone can shortboard anywhere here- between the blistering heat and the lovely roads, I would feel bad for anyone struggling to push a small-wheeled board through this city's rocky streets. But the new huge soft wheels on my longboard did just fine.

Hey, if you ever find any good hills, pools, or parks (besides the only good one in Hammond), let me know. Wonder if there are any more nola goons who skate.

Good luck out there!

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Does New Orleans have a lot of empty pools?

iCaPpY
Sep 18, 2007

WHERE'S
MY
CHIPPY??
Hey are there any Melbourne goons out there who can recommend me a good skate shop to go to somewhere close the city center?

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

I got the 2 mini test boards cut out today!

Aslo while I had access to the shop I made a pintail out of a solid piece of reclaimed white oak.
Complete with rough cut saw marks, the board was old and had developed a natural concave to it.

It has some antique nail holes in it, but I will put filler epoxy in them before its finished.

Dimensions are 9"x50" and it's a bit heavy. I have some shaping to do on the bottom and that will lighten it up a bit.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

The new Skateboarder cover is one of the craziest things I've seen in a long time. Huge. There's a lot of talk about Westgate's upcoming part in the Emerica vid being something special.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is that the front and back or is it turned 90 degrees or is the magazine the most ridiculous size format in the world? :psyduck:

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Haha, it'll be either the full front & back of the magazine opened out or a fold out cover. Haven't seen it in real life myself yet. They do it quite a lot and it's sometimes really effective, as in the above photo. You see the cover and you go 'oh, that's pretty cool' then you fold out the full photo and you're like, 'holy poo poo, he ollied from way back there!?'.

Tenterhooks fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 10, 2010

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Wait...he ollied across and up that gap...starting from where the trees are?
Initially I thought he had come from the side walk that you see the cords on.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Yeah, from the green bit. It's pretty mindblowing. Apparently there's a blurb that mentions they were setting up the lights etc for everyone to skate down the gap and Westgate just started charging at the thing from the wrong side.

If it's not Leo Romero grinding up legit handrails, it's this guy going up full size gaps.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Going to the Montreal premiere on Sept 1, so psyched it's going to be in a theatre.

And that cover is so gnarly. What. The. gently caress.

Sirkus fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 11, 2010

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
Jesus, that gap is just massive.
My copy of 10'000 Kilometers just turned up so I'll be giving it a watch tonight. It's a skate trip that follows the trans-Siberian railway with some of the Death squad and other dudes. Looks like it's going to be well good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDGY3vfZ66k

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

That 360 out of the grind that John Tanner does at about 40 seconds in is loving cool.

Rygar
Aug 25, 2002

Some of you guys might have seen my goon-discount skate shop, Skately.

After 6 months of data entry, we just launched the Skately Library, a huge database of skate videos, skate brands, and riders from the past and present. It took an unbelievable amount of work to get this online. Seriously, we have every skateboarder and brand tagged in tens of thousands of video clips. Once you start clicking around, you can see how vast the site is.

We're not trying to be the hub for new releases, because that can get nasty. We're just trying to organize videos that have existed on YouTube for years, and make recommendations better than they could.

Give the site a look and let me know what you think.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Holy crap, that library rules. I'm basically not going to use Youtube anymore. I loving love skately.

shark week
Dec 22, 2007

Yea great job on the skately library. Finally got to watch Modus Operandi

Rygar
Aug 25, 2002

Glad you guys like it. I find myself watching video after video, and I've been working on it for months. A lot of this stuff just never gets old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

Rygar posted:

Glad you guys like it. I find myself watching video after video, and I've been working on it for months. A lot of this stuff just never gets old.

It's really cool, you're getting great reception on the SLAP boards too.