Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
I always want to trade my tyranid stuff for ork stuff after seeing cool poo poo like that :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Ballin!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Hot drat that dread is bitchin.

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology
gently caress … wow

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Basically everything Skarsnik paints is ownage.

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology
Then he should def post some more stuff right away

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Click the question mark under his post, prepare to :allears:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Fyrbrand posted:

Basically everything Skarsnik paints is ownage.

Aw thanks :glomp:

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology

Fyrbrand posted:

Click the question mark under his post, prepare to :allears:

:fap:

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Dude, that thing effing owns hard. Nice job broseph.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Skarsnik are you a loving superhero? :psyduck:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Those kans are amazing.

Also, any white lions painters here, how do you do the lion cloaks? GW's site says tausept ocher mixed with bleached bone, but I'm not sure that's the coolest way to do it.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

crime fighting hog posted:

Those kans are amazing.

Also, any white lions painters here, how do you do the lion cloaks? GW's site says tausept ocher mixed with bleached bone, but I'm not sure that's the coolest way to do it.

Desert Yellow basecoat + Gryphonne Sepia Wash followed up by a bunch of Bleached Bone drybrushing?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Little known historical tid bit: Socrates was apparently a Gators fan:

I really need to work on my damned Exodites, but I guess knocking out that guy is better than nothing.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Cthulu Carl posted:

Little known historical tid bit: Socrates was apparently a Gators fan:

I really need to work on my damned Exodites, but I guess knocking out that guy is better than nothing.

Seems accurate

(can't find a close up, sorry)

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
I don't know if "accurate" is a word I would use to describe that painting though.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Lovin' that dred. Let's all have another look at that. :allears:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

That is really nice. Now tell me how you painted the Imperial Fist or I will cut you.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Finished ultramarines terms. The blue is darker and better blended in real life, but my light rig always seems to blow out blues and whites. So basically, 90% of these models :lol: The customer is doing the bases, some sort of diorama or something. Sculpting by hortwerth of MAS

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

PaintVagrant posted:

Finished ultramarines terms. The blue is darker and better blended in real life, but my light rig always seems to blow out blues and whites. So basically, 90% of these models :lol: The customer is doing the bases, some sort of diorama or something. Sculpting by hortwerth of MAS

holy loving poo poo :fap:

don't care what anyone says, ultramarines are rad

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I don't know why there's so much bitching about Ultramarines when hardly anyone actually does them.

And besides, well-done Ultras look fantastic.

Case in point, those terminators.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Fyrbrand posted:

And besides, well-done Ultras look fantastic.

Case in point, those terminators.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

For what it's worth, PV, I think you're improving.

psyduck86
Oct 8, 2009
I'm really glad I magnetised them now.

*Sole Ultras player at local GW*

(Does not include player population below 12)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

I love blue and white together, so I've always loved UM vets / terminators.. those are hot PV. Love 'em :3:

Also, Skarsnik, you're awesome.

Does anyone else have the "I want a completely painted army BUT if I spend that much time trying to make it look good then I'll never have a completely painted army" dilemma? I've begun to compromise in recent years (whereas before I would never be happy with less than my own level of 'perfect') and gone for "eh gently caress it, as long as they've got paint on them and it all looks vaguely coherent" but I hate myself for it and want to paint stuff that looks pure awesome and have an army of models painted to pure awesome standards :suicide:

I think I need something to paint that's going to be a one off, just a painting project even and something I'm not rushing for an oath so I can spend some proper time throwing paint at it.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009
So, I think this is the scheme I'm going for my Wood Elves.
(Pictures are lovely but whatever)

The cloaks will be in all different floral colours; purple, yellow, purple/white, pink, blue, etc.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

That is really nice. Now tell me how you painted the Imperial Fist or I will cut you.

It was quite a long time ago, but pretty sure it was a Taucept Ochre base, then Iyandun Darksun, Sepia Wash then Golden Yellow. Didnt bother with much in the way of highlighting as I knew I was going to beat him up so much.

I've got another painted up the same way, and the orignal idea was to base them up on a big base together and make a little diorama:

Click here for the full 1024x649 image.

Click here for the full 1024x841 image.

One day I may make a big base to put them on together, but I really need to not look at the dread for a while, has taken so long to finish I got a little sick of it come the end, hence the oath break.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

enri posted:

Does anyone else have the "I want a completely painted army BUT if I spend that much time trying to make it look good then I'll never have a completely painted army" dilemma? I've begun to compromise in recent years (whereas before I would never be happy with less than my own level of 'perfect') and gone for "eh gently caress it, as long as they've got paint on them and it all looks vaguely coherent" but I hate myself for it and want to paint stuff that looks pure awesome and have an army of models painted to pure awesome standards :suicide:

I'm currently collecting/painting three horde armies (Orks, Tyranids, and Guard), and learned to come to a compromise:

Troops- gently caress 'em, there's a million of them and they're going to get dinged up being played with and moved the most. Tabletop quality for most of them (basecoat, details picked out, wash, maybe some highlights.) Occasional troops will get pulled for cool things like a nicer base or special painting attention, but that's more to let myself try out a new painting technique on something that it's ok to screw up.

Special things like sergeant-type models, cool custom posed guys, special upgrades, etc. get the next level of painting. Blending, highlights, cool bases etc.

Centerpiece models/units like HQ get my A+ effort in their painting. I'll spend forever trying to get them done just right. I'm really getting into basing thanks to the Oath thread, so I'm probably going to start doing mini-diorama bases for these sorts of models as well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PaintVagrant posted:

You know, I had forgotten just how much I loved the old 2nd edition trope of putting black and yellow warning stripes on everything until I saw these pics. They should bring that back, it's really rad.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Tadhg posted:

Centerpiece models/units like HQ get my A+ effort in their painting. I'll spend forever trying to get them done just right. I'm really getting into basing thanks to the Oath thread, so I'm probably going to start doing mini-diorama bases for these sorts of models as well.

See this is my problem, I used to treat every model this way but realised it wasn't a realistic approach to gaming with a painted army.. but, in my haste to get a painted army, I think I've applied the speed painting logic to everything. I should try to correct that I guess :/

But first.. mad painting project that I can lavish a lot of time and effort on :science:

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

So, I think this is the scheme I'm going for my Wood Elves.
(Pictures are lovely but whatever)

The cloaks will be in all different floral colours; purple, yellow, purple/white, pink, blue, etc.

This looks miles better than your first scheme. Stick with it, I say.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

enri posted:

See this is my problem, I used to treat every model this way but realised it wasn't a realistic approach to gaming with a painted army.. but, in my haste to get a painted army, I think I've applied the speed painting logic to everything. I should try to correct that I guess :/

But first.. mad painting project that I can lavish a lot of time and effort on :science:

I am in this boat at the moment. I have to paint a 3000 odd point ork army, 3000+ point Dark Elf army, 2000pt Eldar army and 2000 odd point WoC army. My plan is to do a solid, neat table top standard on them all, then go back and make them prettier when I have them all done.

My only painted army is my Deathguard, and I started them 3 or 4 years ago and the paint job, while good, is a bit dated, and they are painted in a way that I can't really touch up, which is a bummer because my painting is a lot better now.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Seeing a complete painted army (preferably on a table next to another painted army) is far more rewarding than spending months and having like, 12 models to show for it or some poo poo.

Edit: That reminds me, PV post batrep pics tia

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Skarsnik posted:

It was quite a long time ago, but pretty sure it was a Taucept Ochre base, then Iyandun Darksun, Sepia Wash then Golden Yellow. Didnt bother with much in the way of highlighting as I knew I was going to beat him up so much.

Cheers ducky.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Those are some badass Terminators. Nice work PV.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Wrong thread, poo poo.

Cool terms pv. What brand/color did you use for the blue?

Prefect Six fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 11, 2010

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

p3 exile blue. Thanks dudes

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

p3 exile blue.

You think Vallejo magic blue over black prime will be about right or should I mix in some black? I suppose I should just do a test model instead of trying to theory craft what colors to use.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

PaintVagrant posted:

Not sure what it is about marine eye lenses it is you do, but it looks the loving nuts. I can never get em looking that good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Prefect Six posted:

You think Vallejo magic blue over black prime will be about right or should I mix in some black? I suppose I should just do a test model instead of trying to theory craft what colors to use.

Youd have to mix in black, magic blue is very intense and probably middle value, wheras exile is more neutral and darker.

• Locked thread