Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Moruitelda posted:

Don't get me wrong. It looks like a good car and a pretty decent price. But it's not a killer deal, and it's not exactly what you're looking for if you want something you can commit to autocross 100% and get the best results.

Well I live in the frozen tundra of high miata prices so my judgment is a little off :V

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes

Moruitelda posted:

$3k is a decent price for a high mileage Miata like that in good condition, but if it's going to be an autocross car alone, make sure that you buy the RIGHT one. You probably can't get a 94 R-Package and certainly can't get a 99 Sport Package or 07 MSR, but you can get a decent 91-93 with a viscous LSD that's competitive in ES and STS, or a 94-97 with an open diff (NOT Torsen) that's the same. Either way, though, there's a fair amount of weight added by the M Package.

Don't get me wrong. It looks like a good car and a pretty decent price. But it's not a killer deal, and it's not exactly what you're looking for if you want something you can commit to autocross 100% and get the best results.

Ah crap... I never noticed the viscous/torsen limitations with STS . So then I'm either ES, or STR... or even worse CSP.

The only issue with whatever model I pick is, I still need things like AC. All the AutoX events are 2 hours away, so I have to drive to them first, which means needing a few creature comforts.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
It would work as a CSP car. You'd be replacing the interior with a 90-91 car anyway but having the 1.8L harness and still being OBD-I is nice.

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes

FatCow posted:

It would work as a CSP car. You'd be replacing the interior with a 90-91 car anyway but having the 1.8L harness and still being OBD-I is nice.

Does CSP open up the engine for tuning? I'm seeing that the ODB-I is easier to mess with than the -II in subsequent years?

There is also the unavoidable truth that I am not a very good AutoX driver (only been at it 6 months), so fussing over the classes might be premature.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
CSP lets you remove the engine and replace it with one from another NA or NB. The popular ones are `99 or `01 engines. ODB-II just complicates things and makes the emissions harder to get right enough to stay street legal. A lot of it depends on your state as well. Being ODB-I in NC would exclude the car from all emissions testing and the yearly emissions becomes a check the lights and honk the horn test.

What's nice about Miatas is that there are tons of parts around for the cars and a decent used parts market.

If you want a 100% AX Miata and don't want to get into a modified class just get an early NB and run in CS. If you events are far away you're going to want to stay in a stock class. (Depending on how much prep you want to do) STR means stiff springs and race buckets.

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes

FatCow posted:

CSP lets you remove the engine and replace it with one from another NA or NB. The popular ones are `99 or `01 engines. ODB-II just complicates things and makes the emissions harder to get right enough to stay street legal. A lot of it depends on your state as well. Being ODB-I in NC would exclude the car from all emissions testing and the yearly emissions becomes a check the lights and honk the horn test.

What's nice about Miatas is that there are tons of parts around for the cars and a decent used parts market.

If you want a 100% AX Miata and don't want to get into a modified class just get an early NB and run in CS. If you events are far away you're going to want to stay in a stock class. (Depending on how much prep you want to do) STR means stiff springs and race buckets.

Sadly I dont think I want to spend the money for a NB. The cheapest I am seeing is $5k+, and I'd rather be south of $3k.

Am I right in seeing that I could run ES with that 95 m-edition?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Correct it is an ES car.

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I'll shut you up with my cock, you son of a bitch!
If you can find one (probably going to run you around $4-6k), get a 1994 R-Package Miata. That's the best ES car out there. If not, any 1994-95 non-M edition with cloth seats should be good for you. If I move back to the northeast, where it's a bit cooler, I'll be uninstalling the AC from mine post haste.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I need to be talked into(/out of) buying a hard top. I really want one and also know that I really don't need one at all. Can anyone chime in with the not-so-apparent pros/cons? Just for reference I'm perfectly happy with the idea of running the hard top year round. I am probably one of the only miata owners who could care less about convertibility(if that is a word).

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Pros, the car looks a whole lot better and you don't look like an idiot driving with the soft top up all the time in nice weather if you don't feel like driving a convertible. You will also probably be able to sell it without much of a hassle if you change your mind. I guess cons would be that the latches will rattle and annoy this poo poo out of you, you will need to install the side latches which will entail dremel-ing some of the interior plastic. Otherwise the only other conceivable downside is it's obviously going to be a bit of a hassle to put on and off if you do feel like driving it as a convertible.

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I'll shut you up with my cock, you son of a bitch!

The Third Man posted:

Pros, the car looks a whole lot better and you don't look like an idiot driving with the soft top up all the time in nice weather if you don't feel like driving a convertible. You will also probably be able to sell it without much of a hassle if you change your mind. I guess cons would be that the latches will rattle and annoy this poo poo out of you, you will need to install the side latches which will entail dremel-ing some of the interior plastic. Otherwise the only other conceivable downside is it's obviously going to be a bit of a hassle to put on and off if you do feel like driving it as a convertible.

Meh. As long as you have a place to store it, you should be able to get the top off or on in 30-45 seconds. Lean in - four latches, slide the roof back, grab it, lift it off and put it down. Done.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

I'd always wanted to convert one of those bike hoists to lift the top off and store it basically hanging from the roof of the garage. Never got around to it; I just picked it up and hung it on the wall which can be a little tricky with one person.

E: Like this:

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Piano posted:

I need to be talked into(/out of) buying a hard top. I really want one and also know that I really don't need one at all. Can anyone chime in with the not-so-apparent pros/cons? Just for reference I'm perfectly happy with the idea of running the hard top year round. I am probably one of the only miata owners who could care less about convertibility(if that is a word).

If the top spent a long time on another car before you bought it, and may have broken into that car and not fit quite right. My front right latch on the hard top constantly pops loose at any bump because the top is just a little bit out of fitment for my car.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
If you have a garage or easy place to store it I would get it in a heartbeat. My only gripes about it basically stem from living in an apartment :smith:

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Moruitelda posted:

Meh. As long as you have a place to store it, you should be able to get the top off or on in 30-45 seconds. Lean in - four latches, slide the roof back, grab it, lift it off and put it down. Done.

I'm worried about scratching something doing it solo. The top is not heavy but it's bulky. Or maybe you're just a lot stronger than I.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Sten Freak posted:

I'm worried about scratching something doing it solo. The top is not heavy but it's bulky. Or maybe you're just a lot stronger than I.
Its not hard at all, I'm 5"11 and 165lb and I can do it by myself (including a 100 foot walk down into my backyard and into my basement where I keep it over summer.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I asked Miata.net about which radiator to buy; this was a bad idea. The short of it is that my waterpump is leaky so a waterpump and timing belt are on order from eBay, but I might as well replace the radiator when I'm there since it's all sorts of poo poo brown.

OEM through Mazdaspeed is about 160+shipping.
Mnet's suggestion was to buy an all steel one from radiatorbarn.com for 180 (yay more weight in the front of the car).

Recommend me a decent aluminum radiator.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
CXRacing ebay all-alumium rad. A ton of people on mt.net use them, and they're more or less identical to the Godspeed/Mishimoto radiators. Just remember to flush it out before you use it.

If you want to spend $$$ I'd get a Koyo or wait for Savington's new radiator. 200-205F temps with 300whp in 100F ambient. A stock car read 167F @ 101F ambient under load.

destructo fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 11, 2010

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Savington's radiator cost 450 bucks, and the maximum amount of HPs I'll be pushing is 200 at the wheels with a supercharger, but that's years down the road.

e: that cxracing rad is for NBs :/

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Performance Radiator makes an all-aluminum radiator that is based on the OEM design. I have one in my SM and it is just brilliant. Koyo makes a couple different ones but they hold more water and therefore weigh more without much benefit in cooling.

I'd say stick with the OEM rad unless you're running a turbo, no sense in paying more for extra capacity you won't use. Lots of SM racecars use the OEM radiator in 100 degree weather up here at high altitude with no problems.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Phone posted:

e: that cxracing rad is for NBs :/
Odd, they must have ran out of stock, I know they sold them at one point.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I have the "CSF racing" all metal one from Radiatorbarn. It's heavier than stock but not heavy-heavy by any means.

They used to have a stock replacement one with plastic ends that I believe was sourced from Koyo that a lot of people were happy with but they weren't selling it at the time I ordered.

But yeah, I almost never go over 190*f with it (after the thermostat opens), usually staying right at 185 even in way hot weather with ac blasting. Not sure what the stock one in perfect working order even runs at but it was a big improvement over my sort-of broken stock one.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Just finished rough installing my seats and harnesses. Going to have them inspected by the local shop on Friday then I'll go back and polish everything up.

In case you were wondering how horrible it is to do this. The answer is very.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
That is a bit long for a belt run, and I'm not really a fan of your belt mount angle, I've read multiple places it should never be more than 15deg from horizontal.

It might just be the angles I'm seeing with your photography.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
It is a long run almost 500mm but not quite. I may have to cross the belts behind the seat. I'm bringing it to a local shop to double check my work before I hit a track with it. There are a couple of parts I'm unsure if they are totally correct. The angle of the shot makes it look like it's a steep angle. It's < 20deg.

[edit]
Drivers side is a 2" drop over 16". Passenger's side is pretty close to level.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 12, 2010

poisoned pie
Jan 15, 2005

Can you feel the colors?

Baby Hitler posted:

That is a bit long for a belt run, and I'm not really a fan of your belt mount angle, I've read multiple places it should never be more than 15deg from horizontal.

It might just be the angles I'm seeing with your photography.

assuming anchors are all legit, those belts would have zero issues passing scrutineering at any MSNZ event.

I know you like everything to be 'perfect' but sometimes you just come across as a dick. realtalk.

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes
Well, I pulled the trigger and got the 95 m-edition I posted a pic of earlier.

While it weighs more than the base, it was actually the cheapest Miata in good condition in town. Countless others around here going for 4k+, so a 3k M-Edition seemed fair to me!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
$410 dollars later and I went with Vitamin J's recommendation since everybody on M.net is retarded and the local non-performance Miata shop (that has made a few SMs) told me to look on Flyin' Miata. :smith:

At least my car will be in tip-top shape, though. Anybody have an idea as to how to check for valve lash and make sure that your valves are in check?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Phone posted:

Anybody have an idea as to how to check for valve lash and make sure that your valves are in check?

and how to do the adjustment

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 15, 2010

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

poisoned pie posted:

assuming anchors are all legit, those belts would have zero issues passing scrutineering at any MSNZ event.

I know you like everything to be 'perfect' but sometimes you just come across as a dick. realtalk.

I'm right, there's no dick-ness with safety. Ever. If you have a sanctioning body made up of weekend warriors, thats fine. But its their rear end if someone decides to even glance at any installation manual for any race harness or a sanctioning bodies' engineering rulebook and notices the discrepancy between the installation and the rules.

Anchors don't mean poo poo if it breaks your spine in a crash. Even factory anchoring points can become unusable with significant changes in seating position. The regulations for non-stock anchoring points are very specific, as well as the requuirements for car manufacturers' OE points. I use all OE points but had my cage and seat put in at the same time to have no issues with belting.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 15, 2010

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Has anyone had the P0402 code and done the subsequent cleaning of the intake manifold and EGR valve?

I decided to undertake that as my first big car project, and I'm flummoxed at this one bolt for the throttle body. How do I loosen this drat bolt? There's no space around it!

Here are some pictures.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Can't just use a deep socket? Is it that close on the top?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, a deep socket should do it. Worst case scenario, go get the appropriate size of deep socket from Harbor Freight and grind it down until the walls are thin enough to clear.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Drivers side floormats are wet on our NB, doesn't seem to be coolant. Any idea where the leak could be?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

revmoo posted:

Drivers side floormats are wet on our NB, doesn't seem to be coolant. Any idea where the leak could be?

Roof leak?

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

WE'RE ONTO YOU.

revmoo posted:

Clogged drain overflow? Or does that only flood on the passenger side?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

televiper posted:

Clogged drain overflow? Or does that only flood on the passenger side?

Where are the drains?

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

WE'RE ONTO YOU.

revmoo posted:

Where are the drains?

there are two sets, check here and here.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

televiper posted:

there are two sets, check here and here.

Thank you :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I GOT PARTZZZ