Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Newest full-length (non-WoT) book:

Mistborn: The Alloy of Law - A Victorian-tech Mistborn sequel set a few centuries after the original trilogy. It will probably have Allomantic battles with guns. But here's what Tor has to say (spoiled for spoilers in the original trilogy):

Tor.com posted:

Three hundred years after the events of the Mistborn trilogy, Scadrial is on the verge of modernity, with railroads to supplement the canals, electric lighting in the streets and the homes of the wealthy, and the first steel-framed skyscrapers racing for the clouds.

Kelsier, Vin, Elend, Sazed, Spook, and the rest are now part of history—or religion. Yet even as science and technology are reaching new heights, the old magics of Allomancy and Feruchemy continue to play a role in this reborn world. Out in the frontier lands known as the Roughs, they are crucial tools for the brave men and women attempting to establish order and justice.

One such is Waxillium Ladrian, a rare Twinborn who can Push on metals with his Allomancy and use Feruchemy to become lighter or heavier at will. After twenty years in the Roughs, Wax has been forced by family tragedy to return to the metropolis of Elendel. Now he must reluctantly put away his guns and assume the duties and dignity incumbent upon the head of a noble house. Or so he thinks, until he learns the hard way that the mansions and elegant tree-lined streets of the city can be even more dangerous than the dusty plains of the Roughs.

Read the prologue and chapter 1 on Tor's site.
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6

Brandon Sanderson's Twitter account posted:

Another week of working on the Alloy of Law revision. I think you guys are going to enjoy this book--very fun.

It has a slightly more "pulp" feel than the original Mistborn books; more action, a little more humor, hopefully some great characters.

People are asking about Alloy of Law release date. Tor is telling me November of this year.

So, who's this Brandon Sanderson guy?
A robot pretending to be a #1 NYT bestselling fantasy author. Seriously, this guy is a writing machine. He cranks out at least one new book every year and writes during his time off.

If you like fast-paced high fantasy with rules-based magic systems, you'd probably like his books. Each one (on average) has one new magic system, too, so you're always getting something new. If you want a good introduction to his work, you can try Warbreaker, which he has as a free download on his web site. If you like that, I'd suggest checking out the Mistborn series next, which is a trilogy that covers the downfall of a tyrant who ignored his calling to save the world, choosing to enslave it instead, and the subsequent fallout.

Wait, isn't he the guy who finished up the Wheel of Time?
Why, yes. Yes, he is, and he did a fantastic job of it. The Wheel of Time is different than his other books, though. He tends to focus mostly on the world and the plot and his books tend to be very backloaded with lots of buildup to awesome endings, which actually made him a very good choice to finally tie up the series.

Links and stuff
Brandon Sanderson's site
Brandon Sanderson's Livejournal
Brandon Sanderson's Twitter

Older books:

The Way of Kings, Book 1 of the Stormlight Archives

What's this "Stormlight Archives" thing?
This is Brandon Sanderson's (planned) ten-book series that he's been trying to get written for years, even since before his first book was published. Yes, it's going to be huge. Even the first book is going to be a long one. However, he's had enough practice that he's probably going to be able to pull it off, especially since he's finishing up the Wheel of Time. He's getting a lot of practice tying off 12,473 different plot threads, so I'm just going to assume he's going to keep things a bit more straightforward here.

So, what's it about?
Honestly, the best way to find out would be to read the chapters one through three followed by four through six for free on tor.com (use BugMeNot if you don't want to register). Nine and eleven are also available, but seven, eight, and ten seem to have been skipped for some reason. If you don't want to read through the first 10% of the book or so, the description on Barnes and Noble's site can describe it better than I ever could.

Is it worth reading?
If you like Brandon Sanderson's other books, if you like the extensive thought put into worldbuilding in Patrick Rothfuss's books, or if you like fantasy books where the magic systems actually have concrete rules behind them, then yes, you probably will like it. I was fortunate enough to end up with an ARC of the book that I just finished about an hour ago and I can honestly say that I can't wait to read the next one.

Way of Kings links
Prologue and chapters 1-3 on Tor.com
Chapters 4-6 on Tor.com
Chapters 9 and 11 on Tor.com
The Way of Kings on Wikipedia

Other books

Elantris
This being Brandon's first published book, it is noticeably rougher than some of his later works, but still worth reading. For many years, the citizens of Elantris were treated as gods, being granted the power to use Aons to do things no normal person can. Recently, however, Elantris has fallen under a curse and has been turned into a prison rather than a paradise. Its magic has failed and the citizens themselves have changed. Their bodies don't wear out, but they also don't heal if they're injured and they still feel pain and hunger. Some go insane from this. Others stay hidden unless they spot food somewhere and hope they don't take too much of a beating in getting it.

This magic system is Aons. Think magical glyphs. This is probably the loosest of Sanderson's magic systems in his published books, since there are hundreds of these things.

The Mistborn Trilogy
Ever wonder what would have happened in the Lord of the Rings if Frodo had kept the ring? This is kind of like that. The prophesied hero kept what he shouldn't have and now, a thousand years later, rules with an iron fist. Just a fair warning, the first book is something of a heist movie in book form, but the other two are drastically different. (Small spoiler for books 2 and three) With the Lord Ruler dead at the end of book 1, the other two are about what to do in a power vacuum.

The magic systems for this series are (book 1) Allomancy, a system where people swallow and then "burn" them for specific effects like pulling on a metal object or suppressing someone's emotions based on what metal is burned, (book 2) Feruchemy, a system where people wear metals and store a specific attribute such as speed or wakefulness in them over time and then draw them out for use later, and (book 3) Hemalurgy, a system that steals Allomantic or Feruchemical powers through human sacrifice.

Warbreaker (free PDF version available on Brandon's site)
In this book, the dead occasionally come back to life with unusual powers. Most countries shun them and wait for them to die again in a week, but one country worships them as gods and goes to great efforts to prolong their unlives. This book deals with the politics of this country and how they relate to a neighboring country whose princess was promised to their god-king. Honestly, I'm not really sure how to explain this one, but fortunately it's available for free, so take a look at the PDF or the Warbreaker portal on Brandon's site for more information.

This magic system is BioChromatic Breath. Everybody is born with one Breath, which is essentially a sense of life. It's possible to voluntarily give up one's Breath to somebody else, in order to give that person more power. Breath is essentially magic points that can be reclaimed when whatever they're used for is no longer needed, however having more Breath also confers certain effects on the holder. This can be anything from being able to recognize how much Breath somebody holds to being able to give life to inanimate objects.

Other stuff about Brandon
Yes, he's goony (though in a good way).

Twitter posted:

Sweet. Liberi Fatali just came on Pandora for me. I'd never checked any Uematsu. Have now.

No, he's not a goon.

Twitter posted:

Just got a fan mail that asked only one question: Do I have stairs in my house. Uh...should that question creep me out?

Twitter posted:

Also, I'm told the stairs thing is from Something Awful. I've been by before, but wouldn't say I'm a goon. Not enough time.

He is, however, very personable and a really nice guy. The people who have actually met him in person can probably say more than I can, but I haven't heard of anybody who hasn't said he's an awesome guy to hang out with at conventions or signings.

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I'm really excited about this release. I've really liked all his other books, especially the Mistborn trilogy, and I can't wait to see where he takes a ten book plot to.

And his other current project, WoT book 13 - Towers of Midnight, comes out within a month of this. edit, not really, comes out two months afterwards, but still, :drat:

I haven't really read any of the available chapters yet, I think I'm just going to wait until the book comes out and read it with a blank slate. It's long enough to wait for it to come out without wondering what happens in chapter 7.

Dramatika fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 2, 2010

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I don't think about my hands too much. Just trying to hit the ball in the air. Hit the ball in the air!
Also it should be noted that Sanderson is a machine and this series will definitely be completed in a timely fashion, barring an act of God.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Dramatika posted:

And his other current project, WoT book 13 - Towers of Midnight, comes out within a month of this.

Um, you sure on that? The date I've got for ToM is in November.

Xyrael posted:

Also it should be noted that Sanderson is a machine and this series will definitely be completed in a timely fashion, barring an act of God.

This is true. I seriously don't know how he manages to write as much as he does.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Kreeblah posted:

This is true. I seriously don't know how he manages to write as much as he does.

You're right, for some reason I always forget about September, and I thought ToM release date was late October. Within 2.5 months then.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP

Kreeblah posted:

He said in the past that he's able to write one book while editing another. Or plan a book while writing another. However, he can't write two books at the same time. I think most authors plan, write and edit a book and don't touch anything else during that time. Also, Sanderson treats writing like a job and doesn't take retarded vacations to Europe every few months.

mcable
Apr 21, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/kCXRcxe.jpg

Streebs posted:

Also, Sanderson treats writing like a job and doesn't take retarded vacations to Europe every few months.

Actually it's even better because Sanderson treats writing like a hobby and it's what he does for fun.

Edit: For the sake of not turning this into yet another GRRM bitch thread, I deleted my comments about GRRM mentally checking out of asoiaf.

And just to expound on Sanderson a bit: I'm super-excited about TWOK. Sanderson has gotten really good at delivering really solid entertaining books. His prose is not on the level of a GRRM or RJ and Sanderson doesn't have nearly the wit or humor of either of those two (No Tyrion's or Mat Cauthon's from BS yet). But Sanderson really knows how to write some kick-rear end action and pull his storylines together to end on an exciting, satisfying conclusion.

In fact I'm probably more excited for TWOK than either The Towers of Midnight or A Dance With Dragons. The Wheel of Time ending is more of a relief and I've come to accept that asoiaf is never going to get done. But TWOK is fresh and new and filled with possibilities. And everything I've read from Sanderson and about him has given me faith that this series is going to get done and it's going to be really good, if not great.

mcable fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 3, 2010

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
Was the full audiobook version released along with the hardcover?

Not A Hydroxyl Ion
Oct 10, 2007

Adventure!
I really can't wait for this book to be released. I'm a huge Sanderson fan; he's extremely good at avoiding the problems that often hit other genre writers and his characters, plots, and worlds are extremely well thought out. He's rarely overly descriptive and never overly wordy.

I'm basically a huge Sanderson fan. How are his YA books, though? I haven't read them but I'm thinking about it.

Rahlalala
May 25, 2003
yaaay~~~

I'll be picking this up too and having him sign my copy at Dragon*Con that next weekend. :neckbeard:

On that note, I've been burning through Mistborn lately and has he ever stated if he plans on touching anything from that world again?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Rahlalala posted:

I'll be picking this up too and having him sign my copy at Dragon*Con that next weekend. :neckbeard:

On that note, I've been burning through Mistborn lately and has he ever stated if he plans on touching anything from that world again?

Yeah, I don't have any sources handy (I think it's probably buried in his blog somewhere), but I know he's said he's planning on writing two more trilogies. One's going to be with a modern-day equivalent society and one's going to be in a futuristic setting. Allomancy in space is going to be interesting, to say the least.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Kreeblah posted:

Yeah, I don't have any sources handy (I think it's probably buried in his blog somewhere), but I know he's said he's planning on writing two more trilogies. One's going to be with a modern-day equivalent society and one's going to be in a futuristic setting. Allomancy in space is going to be interesting, to say the least.

I've read the same thing. I've found the best place to read for tantalizing tidbits about Sanderson's planned works is here. There are a number of mentions of the future books he has planned in the Mistborn world. Be careful clicking around, though, as there are a ton of spoilers on those forums. Brandon himself posts there occasionally.

EDIT: And I can't wait for TWOK. I picked up Elantris and the Mistborn books when I heard Sanderson was chosen to finish WOT and I absolutely love the well-developed magic systems and well-written action scenes.

MajorBonnet fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 3, 2010

Lace
Sep 19, 2008
Despite the early 90's layout, Sanderson's website mentioned in the OP is a treasure trove of info. His little progress bars for his books are shockingly accurate, and he sometimes posts drafts for funsies.

He continues to amaze me with his writing, and I finally have an answer to "Who's your favourite author?" Can't wait to read this!

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

ElMudo posted:

I've read the same thing. I've found the best place to read for tantalizing tidbits about Sanderson's planned works is here. There are a number of mentions of the future books he has planned in the Mistborn world. Be careful clicking around, though, as there are a ton of spoilers on those forums. Brandon himself posts there occasionally.

I've poked around there occasionally, which is how I found about about Hoid. I'm really wondering whether he's just going to leave it as a metaplotline or actually develop it directly at some point.

Edit: Chapters nine and eleven are up on Tor.com, but they seem to have skipped seven, eight, and ten for some reason. More importantly, there's a giveaway for an advance reading copy through August 6th. They're only giving one away, though. I've added these to the OP.

Edit 2: I forgot Goodreads is doing an ARC giveaway, too. This one has 200 copies available, so people who enter are going to have a better chance then people who enter the Tor giveaway.

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 4, 2010

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP
I guess this is the thread where we'll talk about Sanderson because I don't think Cartoon Man has gotten around to finishing his Sanderson thread yet. That being said, there was some discussion in the WoT thread about Sanderson's overarching storyline that ties his worlds together. For those that don't know, there are hints here and there in all of his non-WoT novels that the worlds these stories take place on are part of the same universe. Sanderson has said that this stuff is not necessary to enjoy his books, just a little something extra that he will expand upon in future books.

Here are three links he posted on twitter last week for fans asking about this stuff:

:siren: Be careful, all of these links contain spoilers for Brandon's published, unpublished and future books. :siren:

http://www.stormblessed.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24

http://www.timewastersguide.com/forum/index.php?topic=7006.0

http://www.timewastersguide.com/forum/index.php?topic=7292.0

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Streebs posted:

Links

Don't forget http://twitter.com/hoidsdiary (also, spoilers)

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

Oh, wow. I loving loved the Mistborn trilogy, but I gave up on the Wheel of Time series a long time ago so I just figured I'd have to wait years for Sanderson to get that finished and continue on his own stuff. I can't wait for this.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Kreeblah posted:

Edit 2: I forgot Goodreads is doing an ARC giveaway, too. This one has 200 copies available, so people who enter are going to have a better chance then people who enter the Tor giveaway.
This contest just ended. How do I know? I just got an email that says I was one of the winners! First time I've ever won any online contest I've signed up for.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
This series sounds pretty cool, and the opening 1-3 chapters were interesting enough for me to pick up the first book (the scene with the assassin absorbing the stormlight orbs and using 'lashings' to change gravity orientations as a weapon/tool was pretty awesome). I'm really curious as to how an author plans out a 10 book, 8kpage+ series.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I've finished the first two books of the Mistborn. In the last few years one of the only series to have me sit down and finish them in a matter of days. After that is over where should I go next with Sanderson?

I will definitely be picking this up also.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

calandryll posted:

I've finished the first two books of the Mistborn. In the last few years one of the only series to have me sit down and finish them in a matter of days. After that is over where should I go next with Sanderson?

I will definitely be picking this up also.

Well, I really enjoyed Warbreaker and Elantris, but apparently Elantris is a little controversial, a lot of people didn't like it quite as much. I can see why, it kinda suffers from first book syndrome, because it's his first book, but it's still enjoyable.

I'm pretty sure Warbreaker is still available for free online somewhere, but I didn't know that when I bought the paperback. But to be honest, neither of them is quite as good as Mistborn.

Also book three of Mistborn is absolutely nuts. I read the entire trilogy over a weekend and enjoyed every second of it.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP
After Mistborn, Warbreaker is definitely his next best book (not including TGS). Sanderson himself talks about the quality of his writing and admits that the stuff he wrote before Elantris is crap and the stuff after has gotten incrementally better. Elantris is pretty good but it's a bit boring in my opinion. Very cool concept that could have been done better.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Warbreaker is available on his site in pdf format, free. If you've a kindle, it's easy to read in its native format.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

ConfusedUs posted:

Warbreaker is available on his site in pdf format, free. If you've a kindle, it's easy to read in its native format.

There's that, or there's a Mobipocket (the actual Kindle format) version of the revision just before the one that was sent for publication. I'm not sure exactly what the differences are, but they're supposedly pretty minor. I just find PDFs to still be a bit of a pain on my Kindle. They do work, but something with reflowable text is really a far better experience.

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009
I was just sent an ARC of The Way of Kings. I hope to have Empire in Black and Gold done by the time I read it.

mcable posted:

And just to expound on Sanderson a bit: I'm super-excited about TWOK. Sanderson has gotten really good at delivering really solid entertaining books. His prose is not on the level of a GRRM or RJ and Sanderson doesn't have nearly the wit or humor of either of those two (No Tyrion's or Mat Cauthon's from BS yet). But Sanderson really knows how to write some kick-rear end action and pull his storylines together to end on an exciting, satisfying conclusion.

In fact I'm probably more excited for TWOK than either The Towers of Midnight or A Dance With Dragons. The Wheel of Time ending is more of a relief and I've come to accept that asoiaf is never going to get done. But TWOK is fresh and new and filled with possibilities. And everything I've read from Sanderson and about him has given me faith that this series is going to get done and it's going to be really good, if not great.

Man, it's a little depressing that Sanderson has written as much as he has and he still gets compared to the established authors. From what I read of his Mistborn books, his style isn't at all like Jordan or Martin. I think people will have more fun with the books going into them with expectations of a good book, rather than expectations of a new Martin.

mcable
Apr 21, 2010

anathenema posted:

Man, it's a little depressing that Sanderson has written as much as he has and he still gets compared to the established authors. From what I read of his Mistborn books, his style isn't at all like Jordan or Martin. I think people will have more fun with the books going into them with expectations of a good book, rather than expectations of a new Martin.

Hey don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Brandon's writing. But I guess I'm just being a bit defensive since there's a segment of the internet population who seems to dismiss BS as a lightweight and a gimmick "magic system" writer. My point was that BS has his strengths and his weaknesses but in the end it adds up to some very entertaining stories.

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009

mcable posted:

Hey don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Brandon's writing. But I guess I'm just being a bit defensive since there's a segment of the internet population who seems to dismiss BS as a lightweight and a gimmick "magic system" writer. My point was that BS has his strengths and his weaknesses but in the end it adds up to some very entertaining stories.

Oh yeah, my beef isn't really with you so much as it is with the latent tribalism in fantasy readership that makes such a comparison necessary. If you want to be read, you've got to be the next George R.R. Martin or the next Joe Abercrombie or whatever rather than just being interesting. It's highly aggravating and a little toxic to reading in general.

But, anyway, I'm looking forward to this book. His editor said it's probably his finest stuff.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
I remember finding out about this series shortly after finishing the Mistborn trilogy. At the time I only found one blog entry about The Way of Kings and thought that was the series title.

Since reading the preview chapters, August 31st cant come fast enough.

A little off topic:
Does anyone know where I can find more information on his futuristic book that he is planning to write as well? I might be wrong in thinking it was Brandon Sanderson who mentioned the series, if I am I think it was Jim Butcher who said it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Clinton1011 posted:

I remember finding out about this series shortly after finishing the Mistborn trilogy. At the time I only found one blog entry about The Way of Kings and thought that was the series title.

Since reading the preview chapters, August 31st cant come fast enough.

A little off topic:
Does anyone know where I can find more information on his futuristic book that he is planning to write as well? I might be wrong in thinking it was Brandon Sanderson who mentioned the series, if I am I think it was Jim Butcher who said it.

I don't know about Sanderson, but Butcher is definitely planning a sci fi series, something along the lines of men in black.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
I thought Warbreaker was disappointing because I read the preview, which was cool and action-y like Mistborn, and then I got the book and it was basically the King and I for 400 pages and cool stuff for 30. Lightsong was a fun character but I felt like the majority of his scenes existed just because Brandon liked writing them.

Mistborn 1 and 2 were my favorites, but Mistborn 3 was a little ridiculous. I hated the "numbers" plot, the completely irrelevant side plot with Spook, and all the "clever" twists of the magic system to serve plot purposes. By book 3, Vin's character arc is basically over and Brandon had no idea what he was supposed to be doing with her, so we got Elend gaining powers, which was a very weak character arc compared to his earlier one about becoming a good leader.

I'm excited about The Way of Kings because I think Brandon has a lot of potential, and because I know he will probably finish an enormous amount of books within his lifetime.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I went to preorder this based on the sample chapters and Amazon recommended I also get this. I had honestly given up hope that Rothfuss would finish that series.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Ornamented Death posted:

I went to preorder this based on the sample chapters and Amazon recommended I also get this. I had honestly given up hope that Rothfuss would finish that series.

He's had a lot going on in his life (parents dying, etc.), so I figured it'd be a while. I'm not counting on that date just yet, though, since I haven't heard anything official. Amazon sometimes puts release dates up that are really no better than flat-out guesses.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Kreeblah posted:

He's had a lot going on in his life (parents dying, etc.), so I figured it'd be a while. I'm not counting on that date just yet, though, since I haven't heard anything official. Amazon sometimes puts release dates up that are really no better than flat-out guesses.

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2010/04/i-said-id-tell-you-when-i-knew/

He confirmed it on his blog. Not to say it still couldn't get pushed back, but Amazon isn't pulling it out of their asses.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

BananaNutkins posted:

Mistborn 1 and 2 were my favorites, but Mistborn 3 was a little ridiculous. I hated the "numbers" plot, the completely irrelevant side plot with Spook, and all the "clever" twists of the magic system to serve plot purposes. By book 3, Vin's character arc is basically over and Brandon had no idea what he was supposed to be doing with her, so we got Elend gaining powers, which was a very weak character arc compared to his earlier one about becoming a good leader.

I'm about 100 pages into the third book. So far I've been kinda eh about it. The other two books I flew through, this one I'm not really up for reading.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Dramatika posted:

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2010/04/i-said-id-tell-you-when-i-knew/

He confirmed it on his blog. Not to say it still couldn't get pushed back, but Amazon isn't pulling it out of their asses.

Yeah, I've been reading his blog, but I forgot he posted about that. Here's looking forward to March, I guess.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

calandryll posted:

I'm about 100 pages into the third book. So far I've been kinda eh about it. The other two books I flew through, this one I'm not really up for reading.

Funny, I really don't like the second one as much as the first and third. The first is still the best, by a long shot, but I feel the political stuff in the second drags hard in the second act.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP
I thought each book in the Mistborn series got incrementally better. Book 3 was excellent in my opinion but that was due, in large part, to the ending. I thought Sanderson did an absolutely excellent job wrapping up the series and answering the questions that I had.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I just finished Elantris. It's not as bad as most people implied. It was certainly no masterpiece, but I thought the quality was about on par with the Mistborn series. The story was good and it was a fun read, so I'm happy.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.
I'm about 3/4th's of the way done with the second Mistborn books an am enjoying it so far. But I just read the outline for Way of Kings on B&N and couldn't he have picked main characters a little different than what he's used before? I mean, I'll probably still read it since I'm enjoying his writing and style but come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcable
Apr 21, 2010

thecallahan posted:

I'm about 3/4th's of the way done with the second Mistborn books an am enjoying it so far. But I just read the outline for Way of Kings on B&N and couldn't he have picked main characters a little different than what he's used before? I mean, I'll probably still read it since I'm enjoying his writing and style but come on.

Well by all accounts TWOK is more mature and better written than any previous Sanderson book, so even if it's "more of the same", it'll be a upgraded version of "more of the same".

And to me the only character that sounds similar to previous Sanderson characters is Shallon. BS sure loves his feisty, young, noble-women/princesses.