Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Only Shallow posted:

I just moved into an unfurnished apartment and picked up a corner desk at a consignment shop. Right now I'm still trying to find a good configuration for my equipment. I want to try and keep my tower off the floor (dust), but I also really hate having my speakers like this. They need to be elevated a bit, and I want them to be further back:

I also need to get a drill so I can install my cable management rack without splitting the wood.

Holy crap my family got that desk sometime around 1994. I thought the keyboard tray was a piece of crap for several years until I found out the brackets that allowed you to adjust its height were installed backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Only Shallow posted:

May I ask why the two 360s?

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
One of them is homebrew-enabled. The other is for playing online.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Only Shallow posted:

I just moved into an unfurnished apartment and picked up a corner desk at a consignment shop. Right now I'm still trying to find a good configuration for my equipment. I want to try and keep my tower off the floor (dust), but I also really hate having my speakers like this. They need to be elevated a bit, and I want them to be further back:

I also need to get a drill so I can install my cable management rack without splitting the wood.

I must say, that's a mighty fine keyboard you got thar.

Chopper
Feb 13, 2006

Only Shallow posted:

One of them is homebrew-enabled. The other is for playing online.

Or for system link when you have frien... never mind. ;)

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
Homebrew on Xbox 360? Either you suck at lying or I'm missing something really cool

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Zorilla posted:

Homebrew on Xbox 360? Either you suck at lying or I'm missing something really cool

Provided you're on dashboard .7955 or lower, you can flash custom firmwares that let you use your hardware how you want.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Chopper posted:

Or for system link when you have frien... never mind. ;)

Actually we do that pretty often. :3: The only hard part is getting sound out of both at the same time.

Zorilla posted:

The Wii homebrew thread in Games is kosher, I guess a link couldn't hurt.

Only Shallow fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 1, 2010

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Only Shallow posted:

The Wii homebrew thread in Games is kosher, I guess a link couldn't hurt.

Yeah, I'm a regular in the Wii, Xbox, and PS2 softmodding megathreads. The point I was getting at is that people who usually have two 360s use one unmodded for online use and the other with the DVD firmware reflashed for use with backup discs--something that's off-limits for discussion here.

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 5, 2023

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!

I second this fabulous wrist cushion. It's amazing how quickly my wrist pain went away once I started using it.

blanksuspect
Mar 4, 2009

These are awesome for stationary mousing. However, for those who actively game and also use large mouse pads, I recommend one of these bad boys:

http://www.buy.com/prod/allsop-wrist-rest-1-5-x-4-x-2-5-black/q/listingid/35121160/loc/101/204242326.html

Lots of wonderful gliding action.

Kruzen
Sep 3, 2003

I need to engage in homicidal behaviour on a massive scale. It can not be corrected but I have no other way to fulfill my needs.
Well, here's what came of the add-on for my galant that no one wanted to input on.. Hope you enjoy!

oholiab
Sep 24, 2007
BATFUCK STUMPMAN?

Kruzen posted:

Well, here's what came of the add-on for my galant that no one wanted to input on.. Hope you enjoy!

Don't you get a really bad neck looking up at those monitors all the time?

Kruzen
Sep 3, 2003

I need to engage in homicidal behaviour on a massive scale. It can not be corrected but I have no other way to fulfill my needs.

oholiab posted:

Well, for one, I don't sit at my desk for 12 hours at a time like many people on here (anymore), since I just got married and have a baby on the way.

But, that is, (and was) of my concerns in making this add-on. Instead of building a desk add-on as I intended to on the previous page, I ended up buying a shelf unit from ikea and bolting it to the desk with some locking clasps, it's 5" higher than I wanted it to be, so I'm looking at VESA mounts for the monitors so I can lower them down while I'm working on something and then raise them up when I need to get into the things on the desk..

I can't find anything on amazon that will suit my needs though, mounting to the shelf and being able to lower a monitor down below and then raising it back up in any kind of clean fashion..

It isn't that bad in general though, when my chair is highest up my eyes fall in the middle of the monitor, so really it's the top of the monitor that gets frustrating at times.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Since I got flooded out of my apartment, this is the desktop i'm currently using. I have a Corner desk sitting in the box down in the basement for when I move back out of my folks.

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

Anyone have a glass Galant?

I'm moving and need to replace my Jerker (:cry:). I'm looking for a nice looking, modern style desk to replace the Jerker with.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

A Duck! posted:

Anyone have a glass Galant?

I do! It's amazing. I got the rectangular one. Get the frosted glass variant, because clear glass is hard to keep clean. Also, the shiny legs look good with a glass desk. Only issue I've had is that you can't drill into it to attach stuff. The glass is remarkably strong, so I wouldn't be too concerned about breaking it, but I haven't really tried to break it.

Apple products look really snazzy on top of frosted glass. I've found myself getting fancy aluminum stands for things just so they look better on the desk.

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

chimz posted:

I do! It's amazing. I got the rectangular one. Get the frosted glass variant, because clear glass is hard to keep clean. Also, the shiny legs look good with a glass desk. Only issue I've had is that you can't drill into it to attach stuff. The glass is remarkably strong, so I wouldn't be too concerned about breaking it, but I haven't really tried to break it.

Apple products look really snazzy on top of frosted glass. I've found myself getting fancy aluminum stands for things just so they look better on the desk.

Haha, yeah I'm sad to admit that I have a MBP and 24" Cinema Display so I want them to look nice. Thanks though, I'll keep the frosted in mind because I'd hate to have to clean that every day.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

A Duck! posted:

Haha, yeah I'm sad to admit that I have a MBP and 24" Cinema Display so I want them to look nice. Thanks though, I'll keep the frosted in mind because I'd hate to have to clean that every day.

That's exactly what I have. It looks wicked cool. You'll end up getting one of these to hold your MBP up to match your Cinema Display:

http://www.xtand.net/products/show/productid/3

Jesus Stick
Dec 14, 2004

Bomb Hills, Not Countries

The HP is some Elitebook Tablet that I never use, ever.
I use the Apple keyboard/mouse when booting into OS X and the Logitech MX5500 when booting into Windows (mostly for homework or video games).

Overall, I like my setup. Want to redo the entire office with new desks and furniture, so that will be a future update.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

24" Cinema Display, 13" MBP, Apple wireless keyboard & trackpad, Apogee Duet, M-Audio SP5B monitors, Sennheiser HD280's on an Ikea Fredrik.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Been redecorating like crazy over the last few weeks, made some slight changes to the 'work' station.

Made a makeshift headphone stand from a coathook I found in the local DIY shop.

Also found a flat sheet of wire mesh in the garage and decided to bend that into a 'U' shape and use it to house my poo poo living at the back of my desk. Also desk-mounted my power adapter.

The result;

...still no poo poo living! but now I don't need to cut a million cable/zip ties to add/remove stuff.

Also, I know the monitor/desk looks out of line there but I've gone over it a few times with a spirit level since taking the picture just to check, so I can't explain it.

Thirteenth Step fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 3, 2010

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Thirteenth Step posted:

Also, I know the monitor/desk looks out of line there but I've gone over it a few times with a spirit level since taking the picture just to check, so I can't explain it.

It's because of the crooked keyboard (creates an optical illusion). Nice setup, but where's the computer? Is somehow mounted behind the monitor?

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

IsaacNewton posted:

It's because of the crooked keyboard (creates an optical illusion). Nice setup, but where's the computer? Is somehow mounted behind the monitor?

Should have spotted that... heh :ughh:

Machine is down to the right hand side of the desk. I took a picture which I forgot to post...

(just cleaned up, which is why everything looks neatly in place etc. It won't stay like this for long)

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

IsaacNewton posted:

The left speaker is also at a slight angle.

Anyway, that's a pretty awesome setup, just wish there was a way to hide that red speaker wire short of drilling into the wall, because that would be driving me nuts right now.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

IsaacNewton posted:

It's because of the crooked keyboard (creates an optical illusion).

One day, non-perpendicularity will be the new Livin' In poo poo.

Chopper
Feb 13, 2006

Thirteenth Step posted:

Machine is down to the right hand side of the desk. I took a picture which I forgot to post...

Hello case buddy! Are you still using the stock case fan with the manual speed selector switch? Mines dodgy and keeps cutting off. :s

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Chopper posted:

Hello case buddy! Are you still using the stock case fan with the manual speed selector switch? Mines dodgy and keeps cutting off. :s

Yeah i'm still using the case fan. I think it's set to 'medium' but i'm not too sure. It seems to be working fine. Is it something you would consider an RMA over? or could you just buy another one?

When I got this case for the first time, the bundled PSU was buzzing slightly, and it was starting to get annoying. I was then told by eBuyer (the closest thing the UK gets to newegg) that to return the PSU I had to take everything out and return the case too :negative: made perfect sense and I understand exactly why I had to return the case too, but for some reason it didn't cross my mind. It was a very big :ughh: moment.

jupitercore
Mar 2, 2002
I just signed up to leech from the sadchub
Cleaned up a bit. Gone from the desk is the MacBook Pro. Hard drives are now under the desk. Wacom Intuos on the legs if I need it.

I can finally stretch out and have space to have books, writing pad, keyboard and mouse out without feeling cramped with everything on top of the desk.

New since last posting:
I got rid of the Magic Mouse and MX Revolution that I had. Between being able to just up and move the keyboard elsewhere (I'd have to move mouse and mousepad; simple enough, yes, but annoying since I couldn't just move it anywhere) and continually running off of the mousepad, I decided the mousepad had to go. So I picked up a Logitech Performance Mouse MX to work on the glass. Easily the best mouse I've ever had and being able to run it on the glass is fantastic.

Future plans:
If I can ever sell my MacBook Pros, the display is going to be replaced by a 27" iMac. Then I'll be set for a good long while.

Kruzen
Sep 3, 2003

oholiab posted:

Aaand here's my fix:

[img]http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ORdxGOGSGfc/TGF31M2AC-I/AAAAAAAAAZI/3VNPFhjPc-8/s912/[UNSET].jpg[/img]

Not the best picture, but it's a wall-mounted swing arm VESA mount, bolted to the desk instead, sideways, so it can swing downward and I can move the monitor up when not in use.

Kruzen fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 10, 2010

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Kruzen posted:

Aaand here's my fix:
Not the best picture, but it's a wall-mounted swing arm VESA mount, bolted to the desk instead, sideways, so it can swing downward and I can move the monitor up when not in use.

How far up does this go?

Kruzen
Sep 3, 2003

Cizzo posted:

How far up does this go?

It can go pretty far up, potentially about 12" higher than what it was previously, right now i'm using zip ties to keep it secured since the weight of it makes the monitor want to fall down, but I can still lift it out of place to access my laptop

Parkamus
Jan 28, 2010

Kruzen posted:

Aaand here's my fix:

[timg]http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ORdxGOGSGfc/TGF31M2AC-I/AAAAAAAAAZI/3VNPFhjPc-8/s912/[UNSET].jpg[/timg]

im liking that setup, but i dont feel like buying another desk till i get a tv, then ill turn one of my desks into a tv stand and maybe try something like that

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

jupitercore posted:

I can finally stretch out and have space to have books, writing pad, keyboard and mouse out without feeling cramped with everything on top of the desk.

Looks great! The Performance MX is a good buy for your glass desk. However, I'm concerned about your desk legs, they look really far apart for a glass desk. My Galant glass with the official ikea legs+frame has some rubber support things 1/4 and 3/4 of the way down the middle. Check out the assembly guide, specifically the last icon:

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/customer_service/assembly/G/G80147282.pdf

Webjunkie
Jan 19, 2003

3/26/95: Neva Fo-get

Click here for the full 2048x956 image.

This is where I waste my life away. My home system is far less exciting.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Webjunkie posted:

Nice! I had one of those McDonalds transformers lying around as a kid, dunno where it is now though...

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Webjunkie posted:

What are you modelling there?

Webjunkie
Jan 19, 2003

3/26/95: Neva Fo-get
It's a prototype for an F150 rear floor mat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Webjunkie posted:

It's a prototype for an F150 rear floor mat.

As in... the ones which go on the floor and keep you from getting it dirty?

How do you design a prototype for that? I figured they were pretty much done when it came to floor mat R&D.