Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punxnbutter
May 22, 2007

Nonsense is better than no sense at all
I didn't catch that it was just the lily pad and not the main stage. I've been to a bunch of shows on the main floor that I've enjoyed quite a bit, but it seems like the place tends to pull in Yalies no matter who is playing.

It's not a real big deal, but Danbury, Hamden or Hartford seem to get stronger crowds who are there for the music. Maybe I'm just an old elitist douchebag.

I'll most likely go to hosed Up and Defiance too.....even if they're just using the lily pad. I guess they're keeping the main area open for drinking and just using the side room to house the band. It'll be funny if they push the pool tables up against the walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

act five
Jul 13, 2007

the industry is a fagfest, rappers wearin they boxers backwards for easy access
Nah, you're right. Waterbury, Danbury, Hartford etc seem to pull better crowds. I dislike the Webster for the most part, but it'll have to do. Especially since I missed Bane and Trapped Under Ice in Waterbury a year or two back. Silver City Hall in Meriden is a pretty cool venue as far as american legion type places go.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I went and saw TAAS open for Underoath at the Webster, and it was the worst thing ever (even aside from the lineup which also included The Chariot.) I hate Hartford. I hate every city in Connecticut I think.

Why do your cities suck so much?

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE
So am I the only one who loves 70s punk from Serbia in here?

It is awesome :allears:

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

There's a great DIY venue in Willimantic, CT called Wrench In The Works. It's just a big warehouse basically with a smaller room that serves as a venue and an anarchist library or something. There's usually a bunch of cool punk/experimental/hardcore type bands playing there.

act five
Jul 13, 2007

Whatever happened to the Anthrax? That place ruled.

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
Unbelievable, an envy tour. I'm so happy.

BRAIN HANDLE
Jun 8, 2005
servant to the red and blue, the green, yellow and white
I'm really regretting not taking a road trip to see Envy in 2006(or 05?) because this tour package looks very, very boring.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
gently caress, I wanted to watch my Envy DVD and I think one of my friends (who's now moved to Europe) has it :( The video of Chain Wandering Deeply/Distress of Ignorance is so loving good.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So only tonight did I find out that Frank Turner has released more than one album. I'm listening to the ones that aren't Sleep Is For The Week and it's just reminding me how much he owns.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004
So my new band recorded a demo and uploaded it to our blog - nuclearsummer.wordpress.com

We don't really know where it sits, genre-wise, but we're really happy with how it sounds. I like to think of it as Kidcrash, but in drop d. Any feedback is really appreciated.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Inspector_71 posted:

So only tonight did I find out that Frank Turner has released more than one album. I'm listening to the ones that aren't Sleep Is For The Week and it's just reminding me how much he owns.

He played in Syracuse a couple weeks ago, on a friend's birthday, and she got to play harmonica during one of his songs

act five
Jul 13, 2007

Bane/TUI was probably one of the best shows I've seen in years. That may be kind of biased seeing as how Bane is one of my favorite bands, but w/e

Also, the Webster Underground isn't all that great, there's not much room to dance or even move around for that matter.

variegated
Mar 17, 2006
pretty princess
I paged back but didn't see this mentioned. Is anyone else going to see Gang Green/DYS/Jerry's Kids/The F.U.s/Antidote and some newer local stuff in Revere in MA at the end of the month? I'm ridiculously excited--haven't heard most of these bands in at least ten years, if not more.

Risky
May 18, 2003

baberaham lincoln posted:

This has been discussed so many times in the request/where do I start with x thread its not even funny. I was going to be really helpful, but then I got lazy so here's what you're going to do: Pick up comps like This Is Boston Not L.A, Flex Your Head, Let Them Eat Jelly Beans, Middle of America, and the American Hardcore soundtrack, decide which bands are good, go buy those bands' albums. Also snag Regan Youth, Urban Waste, and Warzone, because they won't be on any of those comps. You could also snag Revelation 100 if you want to dip your listening toes into Youth Crew.

How dare you leave out the not so quiet on the western front comp. :colbert:

act five
Jul 13, 2007

variegated posted:

I paged back but didn't see this mentioned. Is anyone else going to see Gang Green/DYS/Jerry's Kids/The F.U.s/Antidote and some newer local stuff in Revere in MA at the end of the month? I'm ridiculously excited--haven't heard most of these bands in at least ten years, if not more.

Holy poo poo, I'm definitely going to try and make it. Thx for the heads up.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

variegated posted:

Are any of those bands worth seeing now for anything other than nostalgia? I've heard lots of mixed reviews regarding those band's modern live shows...

variegated
Mar 17, 2006
pretty princess

baberaham lincoln posted:

Are any of those bands worth seeing now for anything other than nostalgia? I've heard lots of mixed reviews regarding those band's modern live shows...

Don't know. I'm hoping it's cool...I haven't seen Jerry's Kids since I was a kid myself. Super excited for DYS. The newer bands on the bill are pretty awesome--I've seen Refuse Resist a bunch of times and they do a good show. I've heard DYS has been kicking it pretty hard, but I don't know. For 15 bucks, I don't care.

act five posted:

Holy poo poo, I'm definitely going to try and make it. Thx for the heads up.

Cool. It's August 29th @ 2PM at Club Lido. It's apparently the release party for a documentary on the Boston hardcore scene.

If anyone is going and needs a ride from Central MA, I'm driving.

act five
Jul 13, 2007

Oh drat, I didn't realize how far away Revere is, it's about 3 hours from New Haven. Eh, it won't be the last show I'll miss. DRI's playing in Hartford in October, I believe. Should be pretty awesome.

variegated
Mar 17, 2006
pretty princess

act five posted:

Oh drat, I didn't realize how far away Revere is, it's about 3 hours from New Haven. Eh, it won't be the last show I'll miss. DRI's playing in Hartford in October, I believe. Should be pretty awesome.

If you hop a bus to Boston, you can take the T right to the venue. It's an afternoon show so you'd be able to get home..

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

Dickeye posted:

He played in Syracuse a couple weeks ago, on a friend's birthday, and she got to play harmonica during one of his songs

He does this at pretty much every show. He played the Osheaga music festival here a couple of weeks ago and Tim Barry did the harmonica solo, which owns.

Having hung out with Frank Turner the last three times he was in Montreal, I can safely say that I have never met anyone who drinks as much as that dude.

act five
Jul 13, 2007

Thanks for the tip variegated, i'm not that familiar with Boston surprisingly.

variegated
Mar 17, 2006
pretty princess

act five posted:

Thanks for the tip variegated, i'm not that familiar with Boston surprisingly.

If you decide to come, let me know...I might be swinging through Boston before heading to the show.

act five
Jul 13, 2007

It's gonna be pretty much a last minute decision but I'll let you know a few days ahead of time.

Also, I'm headed out to Oregon for a week next month, most likely gonna hit this up pending transport prices etc. Looks like a drat good time. (also gently caress YEAH FREE SODA)

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
XTUFFX CLOTHING is a great sponsor

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
XBREATHCOREX is a pretty amazing name too.

act five
Jul 13, 2007

Footclan is a pretty awesome name for a band, too.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
So dudes, what's new in skramz? I'm completely out of touch. The only thing I gathered is the new The Saddest Landscape record. Anything else of interest?

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
Last new screamo album I picked up was Raein's "Ogni Nuovo Inizio" which is absolutely awesome. I also grabbed the Killie/Off Minor split because it was a steal and the packaging is baller, but I think that's not a completely recent release.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

ChrisFarley posted:

Last new screamo album I picked up was Raein's "Ogni Nuovo Inizio" which is absolutely awesome. I also grabbed the Killie/Off Minor split because it was a steal and the packaging is baller, but I think that's not a completely recent release.

I got those over a year ago. Not exactly the newest in skram. It's starting to frustrate me beause I think I just don't now which skram bands are actually active these days. I'm not "with it" anymore. Gah!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Pianos Become The Teeth are amazing, just released an album earlier this year.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Loma Prieta have a (relatively) new 12" out which is really good

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
The best skramz has been suis la lune, dolcim, and battle of wolf 359

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Elder's Reflect from last year was pretty good, it reminded me of a faster Life at These Speeds

Kim Jong-Chill
Nov 16, 2006

If you don't like swastikas then you DON'T DESERVE A TATTOO
Envy has a new album soon and they released a track off it somewhere. Its really poppy sounding.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kim Jong-Chill posted:

Envy has a new album soon and they released a track off it somewhere. Its really poppy sounding.

Katy Parry does guest vocals on it.

I'm actually not too psyched about the new Envy because I just assume it's gonna be even more post-rockier than Abyssal. I mean, I'll still get it and be like "gently caress yes new Envy" but you know.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

I'm actually not too psyched about the new Envy because I just assume it's gonna be even more post-rockier than Abyssal. I mean, I'll still get it and be like "gently caress yes new Envy" but you know.

I don't mind the post-rock influence. You have your old faster Envy albums when you want to listen to hardcore and then you have your slower ones to chill out to. Dead Sinking Story is pretty much the best though and I've given up expecting them to beat it, so it's okay.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Parachute Underwear posted:

I don't mind the post-rock influence. You have your old faster Envy albums when you want to listen to hardcore and then you have your slower ones to chill out to. Dead Sinking Story is pretty much the best though and I've given up expecting them to beat it, so it's okay.

You misspelled "All The Footprints You've Ever Left And The Fear Expecting Ahead." :colbert:

Kim Jong-Chill
Nov 16, 2006

If you don't like swastikas then you DON'T DESERVE A TATTOO

Inspector_71 posted:

Have you heard it? It isnt post-rock at all. Also, Abyssal is loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

You misspelled "All The Footprints You've Ever Left And The Fear Expecting Ahead." :colbert:

Sorry man, it's my #2. :shobon:

Although that one's the only one I have on vinyl.