Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006

frozenphil posted:

you can make your v6 sound like a cow falling off a building.

Well, poo poo. I had convinced myself I was going to do the bare minimum to this car to keep it running until I could buy an '11, but now I want that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

frozenphil posted:

you can make your v6 sound like a cow falling off a building.
That's a pretty apt description.

What's the power increase like?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

MonkeyNutZ posted:

That's a pretty apt description.

What's the power increase like?

On stock internals guys are seeing 250rwhp looks like. Once you throw forged internals in and crank up the boost you can go to 700+ if you have the supporting stuff to do it, but you're better off going turbo if you want to go that route.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgqkOemJeQE

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God

VibrioCholera posted:

With a 3.73 your 0-60 pull is still going to be done in second. This isn't a Cobra Jet. Ford isn't going to overgear its 6 cylinder. Again, different cars but really what people should see is the classic saying, don't fear the gear.

For what it's worth, my 2011 GT with 3.73 hits an indicated 60 mph right at the redline in second.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
That's twice in a handful of posts I've seen the (pre-2011)v6 exemption. Are there a lot of meaningful gains to be made with the 2011 v6?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well, it's a whole new engine, for starters. DOHC, 4 valves, direct injection, Ti-VCT... it's easy to imagine that by sacrificing the 31 mpg figure you get stock, there are plenty of gains to be had.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

That's twice in a handful of posts I've seen the (pre-2011)v6 exemption. Are there a lot of meaningful gains to be made with the 2011 v6?

The 2011 v6 starts off with 300hp and the aftermarket hasn't even played with it yet. You'd need at least a built engine and forced induction to get a pre-2011 v6 to that power level safely, or just forced induction if you like living on the edge.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Fucknag posted:

Well, it's a whole new engine, for starters. DOHC, 4 valves, direct injection, Ti-VCT... it's easy to imagine that by sacrificing the 31 mpg figure you get stock, there are plenty of gains to be had.

What do you think would be more practical, turbos or supers?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

What do you think would be more practical, turbos or supers?

Turbos are going to grow with your power goals much easier while being more efficient and less of a hassle with belts and such, but that comes at a higher cost. At a minimum, Vortech will make a supercharger kit you can bolt on. You will more than likely have to make your own turbo kit/have someone make a turbo kit for you.

In the end, you're better off just starting out with the v8 if your plans include making more power. The 2011 v6 is a strong engine with a nice price tag and fuel economy if you plan to leave it stock.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Does the new 3.7 V6 have any relation to the 3.5TT Ecoboost?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Wrar posted:

According to wikipedia, yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cyclone_engine

With that said, there are some pretty large differences. Direct Injection is seemingly the most important one.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I just got a quote for 200 bucks over invoice on a special ordered 5.0 before manufacturer's incentives.

Dear god I want to pull the trigger on this so bad I can taste it.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Wrar posted:

Yes, same block. All the Ecoboost engines have an NA counterpart. The Duratec 35 is the NA version of the Ecoboost 3.5l, and the Duratec 37 is bored out from the 35.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=33096

new engines for the f-150s, basically the mustang engines with a few tweaks such as forged bottom ends for both engines, and a cam/heads for the 5.0 for low-end torque over horsepower.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Powershift posted:

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=33096

new engines for the f-150s, basically the mustang engines with a few tweaks such as forged bottom ends for both engines, and a cam/heads for the 5.0 for low-end torque over horsepower.

They don't have forged bottom ends, just the same forged crank, powdered metal rods, and hypereutetic pistons that the Mustang has.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

frozenphil posted:

They don't have forged bottom ends, just the same forged crank, powdered metal rods, and hypereutetic pistons that the Mustang has.

oh, it mentioned everything was strengthened for truck duty. i didn't know the v6 stang had a forged crank either.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I owned this for about 4 years and sold it about a year and a half ago. Was pushing right around 500 to the wheels. The car was crazy fast but I lost interest in it for some reason and didn't have the desire for a fast car.

I hadn't really missed it but now that the new 5.0 has come out I really want one.

I saw this the other day and fell in love. Pretty much exactly what I want. Maybe next spring I can pick one up.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
For those who are interested in (highway) fuel economy, I just got done with a 1000km road trip and my '11 V6 managed 26-29 mpg (according to the computer) while going, at most times around an average speed of 110 km/h or so, albeit on mountain roads for a long portion so there's a fair amount of changes in speed and engine load.

I managed to find the limiter for a few seconds at one point, too. It seems to be set at 183 km/h or thereabouts.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

That seems like a hilariously low governor speed for a sport coupe. Does it come from the factory with lovely S-rated tires on it or something?

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God
Not sure about the v6, but the GT is governed to 155 mph

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

SlapActionJackson posted:

That seems like a hilariously low governor speed for a sport coupe. Does it come from the factory with lovely S-rated tires on it or something?

Yeah I don't get that, the 270 horsepower GT's from early last decade had a much higher governed limit. Not that anyone needs to be hitting 120mph but it kinda makes me feel like Ford still doesn't consider the V6 model a true sports car.

Also, does anyone else have a pending custom order on their 5.0. I'm waiting for mine and it can't come soon enough :(

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

kronix posted:

Yeah I don't get that, the 270 horsepower GT's from early last decade had a much higher governed limit. Not that anyone needs to be hitting 120mph

Cars are limited based on the shittiest tire they come with, which for the V6 mustangs are the "Michelin energy saver a/s" which carry a speed rating of "T" which incidentally is 120mph/190kmh.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I imagine removing the top-speed limiter, like the rev-limiter, is a rather trivial operation if you want it done.

Also, my V6 came with ZR-rated tires, so I think Ford sort of expects people to end up doing this if they want to.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

How am I, a self-professed lover of LS1s and hater of the 4.6, the first to post the final press-embargo-lifted info on the Boss 302?

440hp, by the way - earlier rumors were 420-430.

Jalopnik posted:

The car features a quad exhaust layout with two traditional outlets going out the back and a set of side pipes that aren't just for show. On the road, most of the exhaust stream goes out the back, with the side pipes doing auditory duty for the most part. On the track however, where noise restrictions aren't so stiff, you can remove the attenuation discs and drop in a bypass spacer for full-on side pipe action. The system's even sized for aftermarket electronic bypass valves, you know, just in case you have an off-road application for it. Wink, wink. The end result is 440 hp and 380 lb-ft of torque, not a bad upgrade over the stock 5.0-liter's 412 hp, though that's 10 lb-ft less in the torque department. Remember, this car's designed to be wrung out on the track, not raced stoplight to stoplight.

But it's not all engine, the car also gets an upgraded clutch and short throw shifter, retuned electronic steering, traction control and stability control. The suspension sees some nice attention, too, as there are stiffer springs all around, larger diameter anti-roll bars and Ford's installed manually adjustable dampers with five different stiffness settings. Grab a screwdriver and you can change the damping from each shock tower — cool! The rear end is geared at 3.73 with long-life carbon fiber plates slipped into the limited slip differential. There's also an optional Torsen torque-sensing limited-slip differential.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

How am I, a self-professed lover of LS1s and hater of the 4.6, the first to post the final press-embargo-lifted info on the Boss 302?

crap. Depending on what the price is, this may have just delayed my purchase by a year. :(

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

crap. Depending on what the price is, this may have just delayed my purchase by a year. :(

Personally the 30 or so horsepower isn't worth those ugly stickers. I think it might make a good garage queen but I wouldn't want to drive that around everyday. I must say though, those side pipes are absolutely insane.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

PT6A posted:

I imagine removing the top-speed limiter, like the rev-limiter, is a rather trivial operation if you want it done.

Also, my V6 came with ZR-rated tires, so I think Ford sort of expects people to end up doing this if they want to.

It's trivial to change or remove the governor via tuner if you want to track it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

kronix posted:

Personally the 30 or so horsepower isn't worth those ugly stickers. I think it might make a good garage queen but I wouldn't want to drive that around everyday. I must say though, those side pipes are absolutely insane.

It's not so much the horses as it is the suspension that interests me.

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

kronix posted:

Seriously. It looks like the "Mist Mobile" from Kick rear end. I understand heritage is involved but Ford needs to class it up a bit and seriously start marketing this car as the M3 killer every other article is claiming it to be. Time to cut the loving mullet off. The quality is here now.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Oxytocin posted:

Seriously. It looks like the "Mist Mobile" from Kick rear end. I understand heritage is involved but Ford needs to class it up a bit and seriously start marketing this car as the M3 killer every other article is claiming it to be. Time to cut the loving mullet off. The quality is here now.

I agree I ordered my new 5.0 with no stupid decals, stripes or lettering. I don't want my car to look like a hotwheels. Most people these days associate stripes and stickers with shitbox civics on rims more than a GT350. My fiance actually told me those stripes look ghetto and I trust her taste. Get with the times Ford.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
gently caress ya'll, muscle cars are supposed to be obnoxious.

Ford, why are you trying to make me ditch my Ram, I love it so much :qq:

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

PT6A posted:

Yeah my 2007 v6 came with ZR pirellis, but for every one like ours there are a dozen base models with shitbucket all-seasons.

Also, the 7500rpm redline in the boss is a beautiful thing. The 5.0 must sound loving insane when revved that high.

Demokracy
Jul 23, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

gently caress ya'll, muscle cars are supposed to be obnoxious.

There is a difference from a car being "vulgar" (which is a good thing as it turns heads and really drives the point home), and a car being "obtuse" (which ends up being just a really poor effort at trying to obtain the former). That paint job is horrible.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oh man it's even got blue valve covers. loving awesome.

Now someone give me a better job so I can afford one.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I'll wait until they offer the Boss upgrades in a non-terrible package... which will be about 6 months, tops, knowing Ford. If they don't put out 18 or more special editions in a model's lifecycle it's a FAILURE.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CombatWombat posted:

I'll wait until they offer the Boss upgrades in a non-terrible package... which will be about 6 months, tops, knowing Ford. If they don't put out 18 or more special editions in a model's lifecycle it's a FAILURE.

They got that from the part-ownership of Mazda during the NA/NB Miata era. Nothing tops the Miata; I think some years there were multiple different special editions.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

CombatWombat posted:

I'll wait until they offer the Boss upgrades in a non-terrible package.

Maybe this will be like the '08 Bullitt where it's basically a preview of the next GT.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Because I've gone back to school for my MEng and been in class. :(

Ford, gently caress you in the face for those colors! gently caress you so hard! Why did you have to gently caress up the one special edition I gave a gently caress about‽

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Instead of a C-stripe we should have got a hockey stripe that goes up the fender and across the hood to meet the hood bulge stripe. Also, painting the roof on anything but cars with black stripes was a retarded idea. Just those two minor changes would have improved things a good deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

frozenphil posted:

Because I've gone back to school for my MEng and been in class. :(

Ford, gently caress you in the face for those colors! gently caress you so hard! Why did you have to gently caress up the one special edition I gave a gently caress about‽

The red/black ones they have pics of are kinda ugly but I think I like the yellow one in the video.