Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i'm not sure if this is the right place to bring this up, but does anyone think Deadspin has gotten really, really lovely in the last year or so? has it always been more about "look at the personal life of this ESPN anchor/sports columnist/Guy Who Hates Deadspin" than, you know, sports news?

plus they're always so insufferably catty, it gets on my nerves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Yeah it's pretty terrible now. Sports gossip does not really interest me unless it's Praiseball Bospectus

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Fag Boy Jim posted:

i'm not sure if this is the right place to bring this up, but does anyone think Deadspin has gotten really, really lovely in the last year or so? has it always been more about "look at the personal life of this ESPN anchor/sports columnist/Guy Who Hates Deadspin" than, you know, sports news?

it's bro TMZ, if you just look at it like that, it totally makes sense.

AJ Daulerio is a giant fag though.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Fag Boy Jim posted:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I stopped reading it when Will Leitch left. The tone shifted towards dumb gossipmongering, and they started featuring a lot more stupid non-sports related stuff. I went there the other day out of curiosity and they had an article about that stupid whiteboard quitting story.

Someone linked me the story on Favre's dick or whatever, and it's horribly written and reported, even for Deadspin.

"SOME GIRL ONCE TOLD ME SHE SAW FAVRE'S PENIS BUT SHE WOULDN'T GO ON THE RECORD AND I GOT AN AMBIGUOUS MESSAGE FROM HER THAT MAY HAVE TOLD ME TO RUN WITH IT SO INSTEAD OF WAITING FOR HER TO CALL BACK I'M JUST GOING TO PUBLISH BASICALLY NOTHING NOW EXCEPT ACCUSATIONS"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

morestuff posted:

"SOME GIRL ONCE TOLD ME SHE SAW FAVRE'S PENIS BUT SHE WOULDN'T GO ON THE RECORD AND I GOT AN AMBIGUOUS MESSAGE FROM HER THAT MAY HAVE TOLD ME TO RUN WITH IT SO INSTEAD OF WAITING FOR HER TO CALL BACK I'M JUST GOING TO PUBLISH BASICALLY NOTHING NOW EXCEPT ACCUSATIONS"

i mean seriously, this is the kind of poo poo mainstream journalists are thinking about when they say they hate "bloggers". just because you're not in the media doesn't mean that journalism ethics cease to exist.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
I assume he published it because he knew full well she wasn't going to send any of that stuff over, whether they exist or not. As far as I know none of it has materialized yet, though I don't keep up.

Which, you know, makes it even worse.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Wasn't TMZ going to start a separate sports gossip site? That's going to be one classic battle.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Vertical Lime posted:

Wasn't TMZ going to start a separate sports gossip site? That's going to be one classic battle.

Yep: http://deadspin.com/5432195/tmz-sports-prepare-for-the-next-great-tabloid-war-or-something

The fall was quick and painful. I'll miss it.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

morestuff posted:

I stopped reading it when Will Leitch left. The tone shifted towards dumb gossipmongering, and they started featuring a lot more stupid non-sports related stuff. I went there the other day out of curiosity and they had an article about that stupid whiteboard quitting story.

I'm in the same boat. When Lietch was editing it, the site seemed more newsy - there was recaps of major sports and links and headlines. Since Daulerio took over, the site's focus has shifted more to being entertaining then informing. It's not hard to find a day when Deadspin has almost no sports news posted anymore.

I don't think it's all AJ's fault, since Deadspin's lost most of their good writers (a bunch to Yahoo, now that I think about it), but yeah, Deadspin sucks now.

It's funny that the same thing happened to ESPN's Page 2. They started off good, had more then a few good writers (Whitlock, David Halberstam, Ralph Wiley, Simmons, etc) and features (E-Ticket, AM Quickie or whatever it was called) and then slowly lost most of them and got away from what made them a daily read.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Tommy Craggs and Drew Magary are the only dudes I bother reading on Deadspin and Drew was always more humor/bullshit than sports related anyway.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Rick Reilly wrote a really lovely article about a friend of the family who used to play ice hockey with my brothers. The story according to Rick was that the kid, and any guy who play field hockey, are ruining the game and have the potential to kill a high school girl or something and that the kids and parents were assholes for doing it.

What he failed to get in his journalism is that Brad, the kid, was one of the nicest people I've ever met(and politest and all those good adjectives), and that his family were immigrants from South Africa, and field hockey had been a generational and proud thing for them, BUT NO, Rick has to write his stupid baiting, lovely article demeaning a 15 year old kid.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Rick Reilly has also written some fantastic articles. Just like Simmons, it's a shame that he mails it in so loving much.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

barkingclam posted:

I'm in the same boat. When Lietch was editing it, the site seemed more newsy - there was recaps of major sports and links and headlines. Since Daulerio took over, the site's focus has shifted more to being entertaining then informing. It's not hard to find a day when Deadspin has almost no sports news posted anymore.

Case in point:

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Rick Reilly has also written some fantastic articles. Just like Simmons, it's a shame that he mails it in so loving much.

It feels like he writes at least one column a month about how much he hates baseball. Poor baby, being all forced to watch a sport he hates.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

leokitty posted:

It feels like he writes at least one column a month about how much he hates baseball. Poor baby, being all forced to watch a sport he hates.

his World Cup article was the worst poo poo

i mean, it's fine to say you don't like soccer, but if you don't, please do not write a list of "ways to improve the world cup" that literally everyone has heard before "LOL THE CLOCKS COUNT UP IN SOCCER ISNT THAT SILLY"

i mean even Simmons never mailed it in that badly

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Fag Boy Jim posted:

his World Cup article was the worst poo poo

i mean, it's fine to say you don't like soccer, but if you don't, please do not write a list of "ways to improve the world cup" that literally everyone has heard before "LOL THE CLOCKS COUNT UP IN SOCCER ISNT THAT SILLY"

i mean even Simmons never mailed it in that badly

I think the weirdest complaint was "The goalkeeper's hands look like marshmallows! Fix that!"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Those national writers might annoy you, but there's no one paid to write about sports worse than the Chicago Tribune's Steve Rosenbloom. By virtue of writing for the Trib, you can already assume he's a sanctimonious hack who does not know anything about sports except for grit and hustle, but he's also painfully unfunny and does nothing but attack all of the local teams with an array of awful forced puns, incoherent jokes, and the levelheadedness of a sports talk radio caller. I think he's been banished to the Web for the past few years, but I still can't contemplate why anyone would pay this guy to write about anything or who his audience could possibly be.

"Big, lame Freddy"
"Pathetic-o-meter"

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

"Big, lame Freddy"
"Pathetic-o-meter"

Also an of/or typo, great job.

Edit: Pathetic-O-Meter? Is he trying to say that the Cubs are pathetic or that they're very adept at gauging how pathetic they are?

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

i'm not sure if this is the right place to bring this up, but does anyone think Deadspin has gotten really, really lovely in the last year or so?

Oh completely, I still check it every so often out of habit mostly, but its terrible now. The writing is uninteresting, the theme weeks are stupid, and Daulerio just sucks, he seems like he would always be the most annoying guy in the room. Since Leitch left, the site and the writers have this strange, almost elitist attitude that really comes through in the writing and what they cover. The Farve dick pic thing really bothered me. Besides the strange obsession with posting an athlete's penis on the interweb, the complete lack of standards and ethics displayed we're actually pretty shameful and the non defense and utter flaunting of it didn't help.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

morestuff posted:

Also an of/or typo, great job.

That says more about the web desk than him. He doesn't manually enter his columns into the website. But hey, that's why they're the Tribune Company.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

R.A. Dickey posted:

Oh completely, I still check it every so often out of habit mostly, but its terrible now. The writing is uninteresting, the theme weeks are stupid, and Daulerio just sucks, he seems like he would always be the most annoying guy in the room. Since Leitch left, the site and the writers have this strange, almost elitist attitude that really comes through in the writing and what they cover. The Farve dick pic thing really bothered me. Besides the strange obsession with posting an athlete's penis on the interweb, the complete lack of standards and ethics displayed we're actually pretty shameful and the non defense and utter flaunting of it didn't help.

You could basically say the same thing about all of the Gawker network but for whatever reason idiots still throw money at them

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

You could basically say the same thing about all of the Gawker network but for whatever reason idiots still throw money at them

Most people just keep going where they've always gone. If Deadspin et al were suffering traffic wise they'd change direction but I guess people really enjoy the weekly "I was going to hook up with this totally hot [I swear] chick but then I pooped my pants!" stories.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

R.A. Dickey posted:

I don't really read Deadspin, but I have to imagine its rise as the dedicated paparazzi/tabloids of the sports industry is something that will be here to stay, unfortunately. Well, tabloids more than the Post/Daily News/etc.

Other than that, it's going to be no different than TMZ or PerezHilton but those places aren't exactly positive beacons in the news world so I don't really know.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The problem with Deadspin is that at one point it delivered news in a funny and yes, snarky way that was entertaining to read but it still had some content to it. At this point its basically just as you all have summed up, TMZ for sports.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
TMZ, Perez Hilton, and I guess deadspin now are popular because the vast amount of people are idiots who care more about Lindsay Lohan's spiral toward rehab than the BP oil disaster

that's a major :goonsay: but I'm not wrong

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

soggybagel posted:

The problem with Deadspin is that at one point it delivered news in a funny and yes, snarky way that was entertaining to read but it still had some content to it. At this point its basically just as you all have summed up, TMZ for sports.

Deadspin was much less popular when they actually reported things

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5457398

quote:

When Lee -- who, with all due respect for CC Sabathia, becomes the ace the moment he walks into the Yankees' clubhouse -- sits down to make his decision for next season, he should remember this one.

He should remember the one his Rangers lost to a team that refused to give up, with a closer who refused to give in, with a lineup that showed it was tough enough and patient enough and determined enough to wear out even a pitcher as great as Lee.

Oooof.

I know these terrible regional ESPN.com sites are homery and awful, but they integrate them with the ESPN mobile site so it's hard to tell just how much something is going to suck before you read it on your phone.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

The ESPN NY baseball section is actually the opposite of homery. They didn't actually hire anyone away from the local media.

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

leokitty posted:

The ESPN NY baseball section is actually the opposite of homery. They didn't actually hire anyone away from the local media.

Sure they did. Adam Rubin (NY Daily News), Ian O'Connor (NJ Bergen Record), Wallace Matthews (NY Post)?

R.A. Dickey fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 13, 2010

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Omar Minaya: Once the reports came out, you know, of course we had to expedite more the investigation. Early in the process, early in the process, when the reports came out, I had to kind of tell myself, "Wow, these things are coming out." And I say this because coming from Adam Rubin, okay, and Adam, you gotta understand this, Adam, for the past couple of years, has lobby for a player development position. He has lobby myself, he has lobby Tony. So when these things came out I was kind of a little bit, I had to think about it. And I was a little bit, you know, somewhat, kind of, we gotta find out about this. We really have to do a thorough investigation of this.

Adam Rubin: Is what you're alleging that I tried to tear Tony down so I could take his job? Is that what you're saying?

Omar Minaya: No, no, I'm not saying that. All I'm saying was, that I know that when you wrote the reports, but I am saying, that in the past, you have, have lobby for a player, for a for a job...

Adam Rubin: If I were interested in working in player development somewhere in the major leagues at some point in my life, how did that impact this situation at all?

Omar Minaya: I said, because, when the reports came out a lot of these things were cross... I said "Who's writing these reports?" and I said well okay who's writing the reports and in the back of my mind, Adam, you have told me you have told other people in the front office that you want to work for player development in the front office.

Adam Rubin: So what you're alleging is that.. the only conclusion I can draw from that is that you're trying to allege that I tried to tear everyone down so that I could take their position. Is that what you're saying?

Omar Minaya: Adam...

Adam Rubin: It seems pretty despicable to say that.

Omar Minaya: Look, was Tony the most-liked person in the world? No, he was not. We know that. And Marty, and you've been around baseball a long time, and there's a lot of people that are not sometimes we don't like, ahh, and, you know, and they're, they've been good baseball people. But, you know, I could tell you that he may, was he the most more-liked person in the world? No. Was he a good baseball person? Yes.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

R.A. Dickey posted:

Sure they did. Adam Rubin (NY Daily News), Ian O'Connor (NJ Bergen Record), Wallace Matthews (NY Post)?

No, they were all already working for ESPN in various radio capacities and slid over full time. Wallace Matthews was writing for Newsday and left before he was hired for ESPN NY duties. He threw a fit about the Dolans wanting their writers to be less negative or whatever.

When they started ESPN Boston they make a big deal that they poached big names, they utterly failed to poach anyone from the local media in New York. If they even bothered to try, I guess.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Regardless of where he came from, that's one of the most slobbering aura and mystique articles I've read in a while.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
re: Deadspin, I like the site. I do. I read every Drew Magary column, every Tommy Craggs piece and (usually) half the other stories that interest me. But there's no question that the site has gone away from its all-encompassing and investigative roots, which is disappointing. Daulerio has found a niche and is milking it for all its worth, but there will be other players in the space and Deadspin will have to redefine itself again. Unless, that is, it goes back to its roots.

Deadspin used to stand up for the sport, or the fan, that didn't necessarily have a say in ESPN, SI, The Sporting News or other major players in the journalism sphere. That has since been lost.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Basically, I'd argue Deadspin is in the entertainment business, not the news business. And that's okay, really, but it sucks when there isn't anything to replace what it did.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
The hypocrisy of Deadspin is what bothers me the most -- they went on that whole crusade against ESPN and then became a gossip site.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

This isn't really bad journalism per se, but I like to post this story whenever I can. It's my favorite piece that's ever run on ESPN. It just seems like a bet between writers that went too far.

quote:

Falcons' Ryan eyes Gonzalez with zeal

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Matt Ryan isn't trying to hide his excitement about the arrival of Tony Gonzalez.

On the first day of the Atlanta Falcons' minicamp, Ryan took great pleasure in connecting often with his new tight end. Players wore helmets and no pads in their on-field debut for 2009, but having a 10-time Pro Bowl selection as a teammate delighted Ryan.

"Well, yeah, certainly as a quarterback, any time you get a new toy, you want to try it out," Ryan said with a grin. "I threw a couple of balls his way, and he didn't disappoint."

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

I remember this, but I had forgotten how long Minaya talked without saying anything at all. It looks hilarious in transcript form.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

morestuff posted:

This isn't really bad journalism per se, but I like to post this story whenever I can. It's my favorite piece that's ever run on ESPN. It just seems like a bet between writers that went too far.

that reminds me of my favorite album review ever:

quote:

Lil' Wayne is a tease. After the departure of B.G., Juvenile, Turk, and producer Mannie Fresh, the Cash Money CEO has probably spent a lot of times on his knees in thanks that Weezy is still around. Wayne is still a Hot Boy, albeit one who likes to get his grown man on. He's eager to prove he's far from a little squirt, and he likes to rub it in constantly. Weezy's been beating off the competition for so long now it's understandable if he's feeling a little testy. A rapper with this much spunk coming out his mouth doesn't need to spend any more time boning up on his skills.

But sometimes his spunk dominates "Like Father Like Son" so much it seems Birdman gets the shaft. Fortunately Stunna still has a little thug in him, and he knows when to just sit back and let Weezy do his thing. As president of Cash Money, Baby has been feeling Wayne for years now, and while his previous albums are hardcore classics, he really blows himself away on this one.

In the words of Bay Area hip-hop critic Oliver Wang, new-school Lil' Wayne "sounds more confident as an MC and wields a genuinely impressive array of different styles". It's obvious Weezy is feeling Wang on this, as he bounces from naked emotion to popping shots in the span of a single track. He never lets you forget he's sitting on 20 inches, but when the lyrical rim jobs wear out he's ready to lay himself bare on an emotional tribute of "Like Father, Like Son". Weezy is a man who will bend over backwards for a hot line, and fleshes out his long arcs with violent thrusts of short diction, while never leaning on rhyming words that merely resemble each other - there's no homophones.

The New Orleans hustler brings it uncut on "Over Here Hustlin", proving he knows how to handle the white stuff. But these two aren't just about pumping crack - rhymes like "call my bullets some lumps, I put 'em deep in ya neck" would be a mouthful for anyone. Stunna goes even harder on "Leather So Soft", while "Army Gunz" illustrates this pair still knows how to cock and squeeze. And on "All About That" the self-described "Fireman" continues to bring the flames over imitation Just Blaze production, proving Birdman and Wayne know how to handle spitting on organs. My only complaint is that the pair blow their load early on, and the second half of the album goes down in the process. But don't worry, there's still enough hotness here to make sure you keep coming back for more.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

I enjoyed this article a lot. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jeff_pearlman/08/13/brent.bowers/index.html?xid=cnnbin&hpt=Sbin

quote:

Perhaps one day, when his major league managerial dreams have officially flickered out and he's in charge of packaging or inventory or whatever at some pewter-colored 9-to-5 plant, Bowers will look back and understand that this wasn't about a game or a close play or standing up for his guys.

This was about being a bigot.

This was about hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r-lam
Jul 12, 2005

JAROME, EETZ ME!
People say deadspin went to poo poo when leitch left, but for the next little while after he was gone, it got even better.

then rick chandler left.

THEN it went to poo poo.

and, far more recently, dashiell bennett left.

and now i don't even know what the gently caress an excellent writer and reporter like tommy craggs is doing still working there.

r-lam fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 15, 2010