Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

SubG posted:

The 1959 Ukigusa/Floating Weeds is one of the most understated, beautiful films I've ever seen. I think it's my favourite Ozu as well, although I'm not particularly a fan of domestic drama in general, so this might just be me being swayed by all the pretty colours.

Floating Weeds is the only Ozu movie I actually liked, his use of colors is just fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

zandert33 posted:

Floating Weeds is the only Ozu movie I actually liked, his use of colors is just fantastic.

I love the Ozu's sense of color, and I wish he'd had more of a chance to work with. It really goes well with his style.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Equinox Flower is also a great color one.

How is Late Spring? I decided to order it because I adore Claire Denis' 35 Shots of Rum which seems to be very much inspired by that one, or a free remake.

It also includes Wenders' Tokyo-Ga, which I've seen and really appreciate it.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Having recently finished the "Samurai" trilogy about Musashi Miyamoto, I would love to see what Criterion could do with a blu-ray rerelease. On the dvd case, I see the "package design and summary" are copyright 1998. The disc artwork is copyright 2004, with the 4-page booklet not giving any of the usual lip service to Criterion's exhaustive restoration processes or dual-layer transfer, instead crediting "authoring and compression."

The lack of picture purification is apparent in the video quality: bright scenes are kinda fuzzy and there are constant spots and scratches. The trilogy was nonetheless wonderful, and a high-def restoration would be a godsend to the samurai genre. Criterion ought to revisit this series, including finding better essays than Bruce Eder's plot summarizing.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Space Fish posted:

Having recently finished the "Samurai" trilogy about Musashi Miyamoto, I would love to see what Criterion could do with a blu-ray rerelease. On the dvd case, I see the "package design and summary" are copyright 1998. The disc artwork is copyright 2004, with the 4-page booklet not giving any of the usual lip service to Criterion's exhaustive restoration processes or dual-layer transfer, instead crediting "authoring and compression."

The lack of picture purification is apparent in the video quality: bright scenes are kinda fuzzy and there are constant spots and scratches. The trilogy was nonetheless wonderful, and a high-def restoration would be a godsend to the samurai genre. Criterion ought to revisit this series, including finding better essays than Bruce Eder's plot summarizing.

I love that trilogy so much, but I've been nervous about buying it because I figure Criterion will remaster it at some point. You're right about the video quality, it's definitely lacking. Here's hoping a better print than what they used even exists. Gorgeous movie.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I don't really avoid foreign film, but I have to be selective because dubs are out of the question. It just requires me to be somewhat alert to read subtitles, so there's no way of watching films while doing something else.

For what it's worth, I've enjoyed most of the Kurosawa films I've seen, and the two Bergmans are Wild Strawberries and The Seventh Seal.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 3, 2010

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The Charlie Chaplin one-sheet that was in this thread earlier is now available for sale.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Did anyone else notice that B&N coupons this time seem to exclude DVDs and/or other promotions during the Criterion sale period? This was online coupon codes anyway.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

LaptopGun posted:

Did anyone else notice that B&N coupons this time seem to exclude DVDs and/or other promotions during the Criterion sale period? This was online coupon codes anyway.

Yeah, after the first day they killed the online coupons. Luckily the $5 off in store coupon worked, which I used a few times...

I definitely went overboard, but I've been waiting for this sale for awhile. I've started watching a few of these...

Paris, Texas: I loved the aesthetics of it, but was a bit put off by the way the film completely abandons his brother Walt/Walt's wife Anne. They spend so much time building Travis and Walt's relationship, and then building Anne through the conversation where she goes on about how she doesn't know what she'd do if they lost the son. Then, they lose the son and we never see them again.. I still really liked it though.

Stagecoach: I'm not the biggest fan of Westerns and I'm definitely not very knowledgeable about them. That said, Stagecoach is a lot fun and this really is a great package. I particularly enjoyed the extra feature about the stuntmen.

Red Desert: A bit confusing, narratively, but I guess that's not really the point. I was quite blown away by the visual look of the film, something about the transfer really brought out the best in it. This is probably one of my most favorite blu-rays, visually, now. For some reason I just really loved the look of it.

Black Narcissus: Not a lot to say about this one, it's just one hell of a package. The film is perfectly complimented by a great transfer and extensive extras.

Che, Part One: I saw this in the theatre and have to say I was a bit surprised by the look of the blu-ray. I have distinct memories of the visual appearance being quite a bit stronger in the theatre, not quite as glossy and blown out. I could just be misremembering though. The black and white sequences were quite stunning, however. The making of documentary that's on the Part One disc is really, really good. It's about fifty minutes long and is quite depressing to watch, as all of the principal talent involved in creating the film seem to feel that it never really got a fair chance. Soderbergh goes as far as saying something along the lines of, "I once believed that cinema was important to our culture and actually mattered... I don't really think that anymore." Pretty interesting stuff, way more thorough than your typical making-of clip.

Revanche: I was totally blown away by Revanche. I really had no idea of what to expect going into it, but I haven't stopped thinking about it since I watched it a week ago.

Unruly Amoeba
Feb 11, 2007

zeroordie posted:

Revanche: I was totally blown away by Revanche. I really had no idea of what to expect going into it, but I haven't stopped thinking about it since I watched it a week ago.

This is by far my favorite film that I have seen this year, edging out Inception even. I saw it about two months ago and it's just haunted me like nothing else has.

The Castro
Apr 28, 2010
I just got Sanjuro and Bottle Rocket on sale, and watched them the other night.
I love Sanjuro all together.
Bottle Rocket is great, I'm a fan of Anderson's films and I like how it was filmed in Dallas.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I'm guessing Head.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
That's gotta be what it is.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Along with Easy Rider and whatever else is going in the "New Hollywood" box set (Last Picture Show? Five Easy Pieces?)

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

FitFortDanga posted:

Jumanji had monkeys on motorcycles. I'm going with Jumanji.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Cacator posted:

Jumanji had monkeys on motorcycles. I'm going with Jumanji.

Ah, gently caress you, I was all ready to make that joke when I got the newsletter today. :mad:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Criminal Minded posted:

Ah, gently caress you, I was all ready to make that joke when I got the newsletter today. :mad:

Don't worry about it. I checked over at criterionforum and those retards suggested MVP (Most Valuable Primate). Seriously? That was about a chimpanzee playing hockey.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FitFortDanga posted:

Along with Easy Rider and whatever else is going in the "New Hollywood" box set (Last Picture Show? Five Easy Pieces?)

I'd buy the hell out of that box just for Five Easy Pieces (which I just watched this morning for the second time) and Last Picture Show. Easy Rider I can take or leave but I'm not opposed to revisiting it. I don't know anything about Head other than the people involved.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Criminal Minded posted:

I'd buy the hell out of that box just for Five Easy Pieces (which I just watched this morning for the second time) and Last Picture Show. Easy Rider I can take or leave but I'm not opposed to revisiting it. I don't know anything about Head other than the people involved.

It's kinda like a hosed up version of Hard Day's Night but not as fun. If you really need to know anything about it, The Monkees named it Head so, in case they got to make a sequel, they could put a tagline on the poster saying "From the guys who gave you Head."

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Sheldrake posted:

It's kinda like a hosed up version of Hard Day's Night but not as fun. If you really need to know anything about it, The Monkees named it Head so, in case they got to make a sequel, they could put a tagline on the poster saying "From the guys who gave you Head."

"Ooh, The Monkees. They were a major influence on the Beatles."

That sounds at least worth a few laughs.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Criterion went and soaked their copy of L'Enfance Nue in green tea or something.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
No, they're just hinting at a Matrix box-set.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Thankfully those monkeys don't look like the monkeys from Jumanji.

zeroordie posted:

LaptopGun posted:

Yeah, after the first day they killed the online coupons. Luckily the $5 off in store coupon worked, which I used a few times...

Can't say I'm surprised. I'd imagine B&N gives up most of their margin to run the sale. I've very thankful for them doing this and the last 2 times they did this sale (they've done it what, 3 times total?) I've cleaned up. Since there's tax online same as in store, the online ones were more or less equal to the store ones anyway.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

FitFortDanga posted:

Criterion went and soaked their copy of L'Enfance Nue in green tea or something.

Yikes. What happened there?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=14437204&id=24856820564

:swoon: Can't wait.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
edit: drat you doctor thodt

Mustach fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 9, 2010

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31348520&o=all&op=1&view=all&subj=24856820564&aid=-1&id=75900321

Heh.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Not sure if you any of you would care since you probably own all these already but I am selling some Criterion DVD's.

All prices listed are including shipping. These are DVD's and not Blu-ray movies as well.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3338131

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er

Macrame_God posted:

Yikes. What happened there?

It's accurate to the color timing as intended by the filmmakers, according to their own notes and original prints from the archives of the processing lab from the initial theatrical release of the film.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

That post bums me out because it reminds me how off the color timing is on my Blu-Ray of Do the Right Thing. :(

I'm glad they addressed the issue, though.

I'll be F5-ing their site throughout the day to look for new announcements. My dad's in town this weekend, so if the November releases don't get announced today, I'll probably miss them.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

This makes me sad

quote:

Or Do the Right Thing. I remember Ernest Dickerson saying to us, on the original transfer, “Redder, redder, redder.” The instinct was not to go that red because it seemed too far, but that’s how he shot it and that was the intention, and it’s easy to back off the red to be safe.

e: Well that's what I get for going and doing something before hitting "Submit Reply"

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

I'll be F5-ing their site throughout the day to look for new announcements. My dad's in town this weekend, so if the November releases don't get announced today, I'll probably miss them.

Criterion via their Facebook posted:

Be patient... it'll be Monday.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

drat, I was hoping it would be today. I've got a good feeling about the November titles (although it'll be extremely hard to top October).

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

thanks barnes and noble for sending me another copy of ace in the hole for free

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
is Night of the Hunter still likely? I'd love a better release of that.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

The Lucas posted:

The same thing happened when I ordered Contempt last year.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Lucas posted:

I'll take that off your hands if you want.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

is Night of the Hunter still likely? I'd love a better release of that.

Yes.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

The Lucas posted:

They did that to me with For All Mankind. Be careful they charged me for it February, nearly 10 months after I ordered.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

I'll take that off your hands if you want.

Check SA mart I am selling it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
Does Criterion have the rights to make a blu-ray for Brazil? If so, why hasnt this happened yet? :(