Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
Hurray! I finished my present for my 'giftee' and I'll be sending it out in the next couple days!

Very excited :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Put it in Your Mouf
Jan 8, 2009
Blew off homework last night to make this:

It will be a scarf very soon.

Fruitbat
Sep 30, 2004

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

Hey I just saw this, it sort of got lost in Hurricane Unicorn as it were. You should also sign up at Ravelry.com if you haven't already. (and join the ghost town that is the SA hookers group) They have an amazing search engine and they've got just as many free patterns as they do patterns that cost money. The best part is you can submit and sell your own patterns on there too. I love seeing when people make stuff from my patterns.

Hey, cheers for the advice, I signed up and boy it sure is a ghost town. Last post was about 2 years ago!

I found Attic24 a fellow brit which makes things fun as I learnt US stitches from stitch'n'bitch and have to convert them all now :)

I'm going to try my first large project the granny stripe blanket in bright yellow, white and a turquoise blue.

http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/2010/05/granny-striping.html

Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 12, 2010

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Don't wanna be your man, just wanna play with you.

Hot crochet swap action. I'm going to add a few more things before I send it out, but I figured I'd post some progress shots because we're all suckers for crochet pictures. :D

Fruitbat, the thing I love most about ravelry is being introduced to bloggers I wouldn't have found on my own otherwise. I tell everyone about ravelry. It's seriously the best thing ever.

Put it in Your Mouf, that Kirby is loving spectacular. I need to make some nintendo scarves now. :3:

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Ahaha, you made the same owl thing I was gonna send out!

Haha... ha... :(

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Aww... :( We definitely don't have the same person (and I would know :D) so it's ok! They're so easy to make and I have a metric ton of yarn that's 100g at most. :( Most of it is even less. I swore to myself I wouldn't buy new yarn until my stash got a little smaller. Of course this means that all the craft stores I frequent have decided to put a bunch of their nice yarn on sale. <:mad:>

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

I need the star and owl pattern. :ohdear:

Right now I'm working on a pattern I bought off of etsy, and it's going terribly! :saddowns: The pattern is poorly written and I seem to randomly switch from having too many stitches to too few.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Here's the star pattern: (She's got the pattern for that mini mushroom amidst her stuff as well.) http://amysodyssey.wordpress.com/2009/12/10/super-stars-amigurumi/

I kind of made up the owl pattern (although I'm sure there are plenty similar.) I don't have a pattern written up for it yet. It's really easy. You basically put a diamond on top of a ball and add eyes, maybe straight stitch a beak on. Leave the corners of the diamond un-sewn so you can fold them up to be the ears. Ta-Da! Instant Owl.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

Hot crochet swap action.

First off :quagmire:

Secondly, I love the fishbone. Took me a minute to figure out what it was, it almost looked like the owl had antlers, but that's awesome!

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

Hot crochet swap action.

Holy crap I love the fish-bones, my kitties would LOVE THAT! (Or at least I'd pretend they loved it, and keep wagging it in front of them desperately)

I'm having fun making something...unique, to say the least for the knit/crochet swap. I feel like I need to make more though, after seeing everyone else's goodies!

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

The fish bone is from Elisabeth Doherty's book. I think I posted a link to it on amazon in the previous page or the one before it. It's full of such awesome stuff. I'm such an Elisabeth Doherty fan. She has a flickr full of pictures of stuff she makes. It's all 100x more awesome than the ones in her pattern book.

Secondly, aw shucks thanks guys. Don't feel too bad or think I'm making a ton, most of those things took less than 2 hours to make. Those Mario stars were super super fast.

Lately I've had this major crochet hard-on for making flowers and putting decorative buttons in the middle and making brooches out of them. I have so many mismatched buttons and so so much scrap yarn. Does anyone know of a good resource for lots of flower patterns? I've googled it so I know about crochet pattern central's array of patterns.

shark farts
Nov 28, 2007

Wandering Knitter posted:

I need the star and owl pattern. :ohdear:

Right now I'm working on a pattern I bought off of etsy, and it's going terribly! :saddowns: The pattern is poorly written and I seem to randomly switch from having too many stitches to too few.

Oh dear :( Maybe if you post some parts you're having trouble with, we can help? I am morbidly curious to see what a bad etsy pattern looks like. I am paranoid that I am doing something wrong when I write mine.

Oh oh oh also, Isis! Thank you so much for all the fuzzy yarn! I am in love. It will be great for furry amigurumi hair! I have to find some yarn to send back.

Panda is finally finished, pattern is up on etsy! I gave up on that freaking Chinese-looking shirt. Forget that. I am inept.

Also, as for crocheted flowers, I can vouch for this book: http://www.amazon.com/Crochet-Bouquet-Designs-Dozens-Flowers/dp/1600591248/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1281673105&sr=8-2 it is pretty decent! There is also 100 Flowers to Knit and Crochet, but I have never read it. I never have much luck finding flower patterns online, but I haven't looked too hard either.

shark farts fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 13, 2010

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

shark farts posted:

Oh dear :( Maybe if you post some parts you're having trouble with, we can help? I am morbidly curious to see what a bad etsy pattern looks like. I am paranoid that I am doing something wrong when I write mine.

I think there's a mistake in the pattern, or the person who made it increases/decreases a different way, because I cannot for the life of me get the right number of stitches on each row...

...which is impossible because she doesn't mention the number of stitches on each row, which is driving me batty! She also uses a completely different method to write the pattern down. To increase she writes "2SC", but if she wants the next two stitches to be single crochet she writes "SCx2".

The worst part is at the end. I have 26 stitches. The pattern then says:

SCx6, Decrease 1, SC, dec 1, SCx8, dec 1, sc, dec 1

...expect every time me AND my teacher have tried it we're two stitches too short. I ended up faking my entire way through the end of the pattern.

discordiaskitten
Aug 22, 2004

I'm a fucking genuis

Fruitbat posted:

I found Attic24 a fellow brit which makes things fun as I learnt US stitches from stitch'n'bitch and have to convert them all now :)

Ah, welcome to the world of bilingual crochet (and not having any good yarn shops, grumble). I pretty much have my head round the two systems, shout if you get stuck!

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer

shark farts posted:

Oh my God, I'm in love with your panda :3:

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Ok, so here's where I prove why I know nothing about crochet. How do I block something? There's a pattern I just finished and it says to block it before I sew it together. (It's a headband, and it's a lacy rectangle basically) I'm using cotton yarn if that makes a difference. I'm assuming I just pin it to a flat surface and then let my iron spit some steam at it, then let it dry.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I don't see how it'd be terribly different from blocking knitting, so the idea is to soak/gently wash the project, generally warm water without real agitation (I use a wool wash but you could just as soon use a smidge of liquid detergent), rinse. Roll to press out excess water, pin flat to dry in the appropriate (even) shape. You ALWAYS do it with lace. Lace knitting looks strange and tiny unblocked and just opens up to display all your hard work (and get bigger, so much bigger) appropriately.

If it's different for crochet someone else can chime in but that's that.

Oh, and use more pins than you think is necessary if you want to keep the shape really well.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
So I contacted the woman I bought the bizarre pattern from and she's rewriting it to make it easier to understand.

I love the internet. :v:

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Thanks Captain Stinkybutt! There's also some instructions in the front of the book I got the lacy headband pattern from. :downs: I never read the beginnings, I just skip right to the patterns.

Knitter that's awesome! I am so bad with math sometimes, so I LOVE when they put a stitch count at the end of each row. Sometimes even if the pattern is worded wrong I can figure it out if I know how many stitches it's supposed to have.

Put it in Your Mouf
Jan 8, 2009
Yep, blocking is just getting something wet enough that you can work it into shape and let it dry that way. It can take a few days to dry, depending on the fiber and size of the piece. If what you are blocking is small, and isn't a delicate pattern that needs to lie on a totally flat surface while drying, you can put it on a baker's cooling rack, like the kind you use for cookies. That way it will get a lot more air flow and dry quicker. Otherwise just spread it over a towel and have that thing I always hear about, I think it starts with a "p"... patience. Yeah, that's it, whatever that means. :j:

So I contacted the woman I bought the bizarre pattern from and she's rewriting it to make it easier to understand.

I love the internet. :v:

I HATE paying for a pattern to find it's horrible. I recently had the same problem with an amigurumi teddy bear pattern from Ravelry. There were only a couple of photos in the whole thing, and they were all of the finished bear, and how to decrease, which can be found easily online.

The thing that enraged me and wasted hours of my time was the foot and leg construction. No pictures or explanation of this very poorly worded process.
The pattern seemed fine, until you actually try to do it. Then the next thing you know, you have axe murdered your entire family.

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Are there any tips I should know about shipping things overseas? I've got Paper Lantern's gifts mostly ready (the discussion on blocking made me get up and block the last thing :v:), and I'd like to have a ballpark on the cost before I show up at the post office.

Put it in Your Mouf
Jan 8, 2009

Gently Used Coat posted:

Are there any tips I should know about shipping things overseas? I've got Paper Lantern's gifts mostly ready (the discussion on blocking made me get up and block the last thing :v:), and I'd like to have a ballpark on the cost before I show up at the post office.

Use this for price estimates
http://ircalc.usps.gov/

I think when you declare an item a gift on the customs form, most of the time the recipient doesn't have to pay a customs fee, or it's greatly reduced. It might depend on the country it's headed to.

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Put it in Your Mouf posted:

Use this for price estimates
http://ircalc.usps.gov/

I think when you declare an item a gift on the customs form, most of the time the recipient doesn't have to pay a customs fee, or it's greatly reduced. It might depend on the country it's headed to.

Wow, that's incredibly helpful. Thanks!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
This loving pattern

I've had to contact the woman *again* because the shrimp tail part seems to be missing a few steps. I've given up and making a Tuna sushi monster instead.

I think I'll take a break from plushies after this and work on learning granny squares in class this week.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

This loving pattern

I've had to contact the woman *again* because the shrimp tail part seems to be missing a few steps. I've given up and making a Tuna sushi monster instead.

I think I'll take a break from plushies after this and work on learning granny squares in class this week.

I've got a PDF of the pattern I've been using; it's a free interwebs pattern so likely you've seen it already... but I'd be happy to forward it to you. Send me a PM if you would like it.

Paper Lantern
Nov 7, 2009
I'm so excited to receive my package, Gently Used Coat :D

I have a bad habit of starting a project, getting bored with it about half way through and then starting something else so I can swap between them.
Tonight I went through my work in progress basket and found:
A half finished character from Yo Gabba Gabba
4 unfinished bibs
An elf hat for my son
A beanie for myself
An owl head
2 booties (both are different colours and are in need of a matching partner)
A Yo Gabba Gabba afghan I started for my son
An afghan for myself
and legs that will eventually belong to a little Shaun from Shaun of the Dead.

..I really have to kick this habit.

Pictures!

Owl bib :3:

:frog:

At the rate i'm going I don't know if i'll ever finish this blanket. The colours look much nicer in real life as well.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

I LOVE the GETOUT frog! I had been drat near destroying my brain trying to figure out how to make one. Also, Oli is so drat :3:

ADD seems to be a common theme among crocheters. I'm always trying to find something new to make. I can't remember the last time I crocheted an entire afghan without stopping to make a scarf or something.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
I want that frog! It is completely adorable.

I don't have the privilege of crochet ADD. I just don't have the time... While my unicorn took me like 4 or 5 days total, the dragon is going to take much longer because my priority is school, and I get mountains of homework :(

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Oh snap, crochet swap! I am posting to confirm I am indeed assembling my package and will send out a box of goodies before the end of the week or I will eat my bacon hat.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Out of curiosity, for those who have made afghans or other projects out of granny squares, what method did you use to bind the squares together? Plain old whipstitch or something more complicated? I'm about 25% done with the squares by raw count, and I was thinking of starting to compile them into a shape.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

I would always hold them with the right sides facing each other and slip stitch them together. My mom taught me to crochet and she said she whipstitched a blanket together and the person she made it for put it through the wash and brought her back a bag of granny squares to put back together. :( To her credit, my mom is a decent seamstress, so I'm sure her sewing was alright. I've noticed that my blankets seem pretty sturdy as well. I also crochet like I'm making coal into diamonds, so there's that to think about too.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I made a second onigiri and gave them to my baby twin nephews. They were dumbfounded over the concept that something could be toy food, AND A BALL! :aaaaa:

e: To make a long story short

Someone please talk me out of this.

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 18, 2010

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

CYCLOPS
WAS RIGHT

Is that Tetris? Do it! 64 squares isn't too crazy--especially if you do grannies instead of plain sc so it won't be so tedious to make them. Do it! Do it!

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

I made a second onigiri and gave them to my baby twin nephews. They were dumbfounded over the concept that something could be toy food, AND A BALL! :aaaaa:

e: To make a long story short

Seconding the do it encouragement! Just use big granny squares!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
That's the opposite of talking me out of it! :saddowns:

It'll have to wait, anyway. I just did an inventory of what I need to make before the craft fair and it turns out I'm a week behind schedule. But maybe after that...and after Christmas presents...

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

That's the opposite of talking me out of it! :saddowns:

It'll have to wait, anyway. I just did an inventory of what I need to make before the craft fair and it turns out I'm a week behind schedule. But maybe after that...and after Christmas presents...

I started a graphgahn thing like...6 months ago and am just now picking it up again. Just keep it in the back of your mind. :)

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Ms. Happiness posted:

I started a graphgahn thing like...6 months ago and am just now picking it up again. Just keep it in the back of your mind. :)

This. Especially if you make granny squares, you can just slowly get it done. You can whip out one or two squares between projects and they'll add up really fast.

I think this Christmas is going to be a pretty heavily crocheted Christmas for most folks I know. :D

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
Dear Goldirocks

Please expect your crochet(/knit) exchange package in 1-2 weeks!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

This. Especially if you make granny squares, you can just slowly get it done. You can whip out one or two squares between projects and they'll add up really fast.

I think this Christmas is going to be a pretty heavily crocheted Christmas for most folks I know. :D

Well, if I do this blanket I want to do it with the "crochet it on as you go" method, since I hate sewing the same way most people hate going to the dentist.

I'm also temped to do some half-assed mini crochet item for Christmas presents (I kinda got burned last year) but it's hard to think of something I can do for all of the men/women in my family of varying ages.

On that note, my cousin found out that I wanted to make her babies mini-Cthulhus for Christmas and forbade it. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Your cousin is a twat.