Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Tyree posted:

Does Criterion have the rights to make a blu-ray for Brazil? If so, why hasnt this happened yet? :(

Universal...same situation as Spartacus/Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Tyree posted:

Does Criterion have the rights to make a blu-ray for Brazil? If so, why hasnt this happened yet? :(

Criterion would probably have to make a separate agreement with Universal for a Blu-ray of Brazil since the last agreement was most likely way before Blu-ray was a consideration. Of course we have no idea if Criterion has approached them about that or not. Universal seems to be playing ball with some Criterion BD releases, but others they've clearly kept for themselves (Traffic, Fear and Loathing, Spartacus, Do the Right Thing). Hopefully they still have no interest in Brazil, and a Criterion BD will come out eventually.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I really do not like the artwork for Darjeeling Limited. Like really really :rant: it. Criterion has made some pretty remarkable covers for Wes Anderson films: this one isn't. It's like Criterion phoned it in. I guess it's better than the regular DVD's (essentially theatrical poster), but I was not expecting artwork akin to Wes Andersen-by-numbers. Looks like Bottle Rocket, and I don't think the movies were all that similar. Oh well, I'm buying it. Hell, my friend already told me to buy him :cheers: for his birthday so maybe I'm in the clear.

If Criterion ever does a Brazil BluRay, I wonder if they'll try to replicate the the DVD set's iconic packaging.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

LaptopGun posted:

Criterion has made some pretty remarkable covers for Wes Anderson films: this one isn't. It's like Criterion phoned it in.

Criterion doesn't design the Wes Anderson covers, Anderson's brother does.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

LaptopGun posted:

If Criterion ever does a Brazil BluRay, I wonder if they'll try to replicate the the DVD set's iconic packaging.

Probably. All Criterion BD upgrades of existing Criterion DVDs used the same art as the DVD - except for cases where the DVD received a remaster at the same time. Seeing as how there have already been two DVD releases of Brazil, and one of them very recently, I wouldn't expect another anytime soon (if ever) - so the hypothetical BD would use the latest DVD's cover.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I saw 17 new posts and assumed the new announcements were up. drat you all. (Come on, Night of the Hunter.)

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

FitFortDanga posted:

Criterion doesn't design the Wes Anderson covers, Anderson's brother does.

Learn something new every day. :tipshat: That's awesome Wes is able to keep this sort of thing in the family. Now I only need an email address to drop him a brief line to tell the brother he's done better for Criterion.

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Probably. All Criterion BD upgrades of existing Criterion DVDs used the same art as the DVD - except for cases where the DVD received a remaster at the same time. Seeing as how there have already been two DVD releases of Brazil, and one of them very recently, I wouldn't expect another anytime soon (if ever) - so the hypothetical BD would use the latest DVD's cover.

DVD Beaver says the reissue was September 2006. It's plausible they did a HD transfer at that time since HD-DVD and I think BluRay were out. I don't know though. Plus, how far have transfers come in 4 years? Maybe if Criterion ever got the license they'd want a Brand new one.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

LaptopGun posted:

Learn something new every day. :tipshat: That's awesome Wes is able to keep this sort of thing in the family. Now I only need an email address to drop him a brief line to tell the brother he's done better for Criterion.

His brother has done covers in the past, but someone new actually did the Bottle Rocket and Darjeeling Limited covers (though in a similar style obviously).

quote:

DVD Beaver says the reissue was September 2006. It's plausible they did a HD transfer at that time since HD-DVD and I think BluRay were out. I don't know though. Plus, how far have transfers come in 4 years? Maybe if Criterion ever got the license they'd want a Brand new one.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did an HD transfer at the time, probably standard practice by then. But Criterion has previously said that, for every Blu-ray release, no matter the state of the existing transfer, they've had to go back and do significant work to make the Blu-ray look proper. And there certainly haven't been new DVDs for every BD release, so it seems they're happy with many of their DVDs.

For Brazil specifically, I really wouldn't expect a new DVD anytime soon, even if/when a BD comes out. A couple years ago they announced they'd be going back and remastering early titles that could use it, and releasing them at a certain pace so as to not impact new titles being added to the collection. Brazil has already been a part of that program. I'm sure there is a lot they'd rather do than make a third attempt at a film, when so many much-worse-off ones haven't even received a second issue.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Neo_Reloaded posted:

His brother has done covers in the past, but someone new actually did the Bottle Rocket and Darjeeling Limited covers (though in a similar style obviously).

Criterion posted:

PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Richard Brody and original illustrations by Eric Anderson

Granted, it doesn't say ALL the illustrations are by Eric Anderson.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

All of y'all who told me not to get High and Low are loving crazy, especially those who said the second half was weak, I thought it got better as it went along. But I always enjoy a well executed, non-retarded police procedural.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I do still stand by most of the first half of The Wages of Fear being crap, though

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Sorry to open that can of worms. Whoever did it, I just don't like the cover. I do love the illustrations that accompany Andersen's other movies, not that I own them. Google Image Search is handy.

Neo_Reloaded posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they did an HD transfer at the time, probably standard practice by then. But Criterion has previously said that, for every Blu-ray release, no matter the state of the existing transfer, they've had to go back and do significant work to make the Blu-ray look proper. And there certainly haven't been new DVDs for every BD release, so it seems they're happy with many of their DVDs.

For Brazil specifically, I really wouldn't expect a new DVD anytime soon, even if/when a BD comes out. A couple years ago they announced they'd be going back and remastering early titles that could use it, and releasing them at a certain pace so as to not impact new titles being added to the collection. Brazil has already been a part of that program. I'm sure there is a lot they'd rather do than make a third attempt at a film, when so many much-worse-off ones haven't even received a second issue.

Hmmm... that makes sense. There are some early Criterions I in my wildest dreams hope they'd get a chance to remaster, such as Silence of the Lambs :v: . I'm all for them focusing on bringing new titles (Hell, I still am sans Blu-Ray).

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Ghost World to get a big C

http://criterioncast.com/2010/08/15/terry-zwigoffs-ghost-world-to-get-the-criterion-treatment/

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

:) This is probably one of my favorite movies (and movie scores). I'm thrilled.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Good News

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sweet! I can finally get rid of my DVD.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Would anyone with the Crumb DVD release be able to tell me if it's Region 1 or Region 0? Thanks.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Bown posted:

Would anyone with the Crumb DVD release be able to tell me if it's Region 1 or Region 0? Thanks.

I think most (if not all) Criterion DVDs are region 1 nowadays. I don't have it to check though.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/769-america-lost-and-found-the-bbs-story

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
New Hollywood Box Set! America Lost And Found: The BBS Story

Antichrist

:f5:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

And Antichrist

e: beaten

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/769-america-lost-and-found-the-bbs-story

quote:

SYNOPSIS: Like the rest of America, Hollywood was ripe for revolution in the late sixties. Cinema attendance was down; what had once worked seemed broken. Enter Bob Rafelson, Bert Schneider, and Steve Blauner, who knew that what Hollywood needed was new audiences—namely, young people—and that meant cultivating new talent and new ideas. Fueled by money made from their invention of the superstar TV pop group the Monkees, they set off on a film-industry journey that would lead them to form BBS Productions, a company that was also a community. The innovative films produced by this team between 1968 and 1972 are collected in this box set—works created within the studio system but lifted right out of the countercultural id, and that now range from the iconic (Easy Rider, Five Easy Pieces, The Last Picture Show) to the acclaimed (The King of Marvin Gardens) to the obscure (Head; Drive, He Said; A Safe Place).

Head

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-ray edition)
* Audio commentary featuring Monkees Micky Dolenz, Davy Jones, and Peter Tork
* New video interview with director Bob Rafelson
* New documentary about BBS, featuring critic David Thomson and historian Douglas Brinkley
* More!

Easy Rider

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* Audio commentary featuring director Dennis Hopper
* Easy Rider: Shaking the Cage, a 1999 documentary featuring behind-the-scenes footage
* Footage of Hopper and star Peter Fonda at Cannes in 1969
* New video interview with BBS’s Steve Blauner
* More!

Five Easy Pieces

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* Audio commentary featuring director Bob Rafelson and interior designer Toby Rafelson
* Soul Searching in Five Easy Pieces, a 2009 video piece in which Rafelson discusses the film
* BBStory, a 2009 documentary
* Excerpts from an audio recording of Rafelson at the American Film Institute in 1976

Drive, He Said

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* A Cautionary Tale of Campus Revolution and Sexual Freedom, a 2009 video piece in which director Jack Nicholson discusses the experience of making this film
* Theatrical trailer
* More!

A Safe Place

* Audio commentary featuring director Henry Jaglom
* Henry Jaglom Finds “A Safe Place,” a 2009 video piece in which the director discusses the film
* Notes on the New York Film Festival, a 1971 video piece featuring an interview conducted by critic Molly Haskell with directors Peter Bogdanovich and Jaglom about their films The Last Picture Show and A Safe Place
* Deleted scene and screen tests
* Theatrical trailer

The Last Picture Show

* Two audio commentaries, one featuring director Peter Bogdanovich and the other featuring Bogdanovich and actors Cybill Shepherd, Randy Quaid, Cloris Leachman, and Frank Marshall
* Picture This, a 1990 documentary by George Hickenlooper
* “The Last Picture Show”: A Look Back, an hour-long 1999 documentary
* 2009 interview with Bogdanovich
* Screen tests and location footage
* Theatrical trailers and more!

The King of Marvin Gardens

* Selected-scene audio commentary featuring director Bob Rafelson
* Reflections of a Philosopher King, a 2009 documentary about the making of the film
* Afterthoughts, a short 2002 documentary about the film, produced by Rafelson
* Theatrical trailer

That's a pretty loving stacked set. And only $100 MSRP, that's a loving steal.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Hello, Night Of The Hunter.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That's what I'm talking about.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Oh god yes

and that New Hollywood box set also looks great, is that just on DVD?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Also Blu-Ray.

Modern Times

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Fag Boy Jim posted:

and that New Hollywood box set also looks great, is that just on DVD?

Nope, blu-ray set is retailing $100.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
jesus, this is as good as October

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#541 - NIGHT OF THE HUNTER (Nov 16: BR/2-disc DVD)

* Audio commentary featuring assistant director Terry Sanders, film critic F. X. Feeney, archivist Robert Gitt, and author Preston Neal Jones
* Charles Laughton Directs “The Night of the Hunter,” a two-and-a-half-hour archival treasure trove of outtakes from the film
* New documentary featuring interviews with producer Paul Gregory, Sanders, Jones, and author Jeffrey Couchman
* New video interview with Simon Callow, author of Charles Laughton: A Difficult Actor
* Clip from the The Ed Sullivan Show, in which cast members perform live a scene that was deleted from the film
* Fifteen-minute episode of the BBC show Moving Pictures about the film
* Archival interview with cinematographer Stanley Cortez
* Gallery of sketches by author Davis Grubb
* New video conversation between Gitt and film critic Leonard Maltin about Charles Laughton Directs “The Night of the Hunter”
* Original theatrical trailer
* PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by critics Terrence Rafferty and Michael Sragow

gently caress me, that's loaded. A must-buy. Loving that cover, too.

#542 - ANTICHRIST (Nov 9: BR/2-disc DVD)

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, approved by director Lars von Trier and supervised by director of photography Anthony Dod Mantle (with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* Audio commentary by von Trier and professor Murray Smith
* Video interviews with von Trier and actors Willem Dafoe and Charlotte Gainsbourg
* A collection of video pieces delving into the production of Antichrist, including interviews with von Trier and key members of his filmmaking team as well as behind-the-scenes footage
* Chaos Reigns at the Cannes Film Festival 2009, a documentary on the film’s world premiere, plus press interviews with Dafoe and Gainsbourg
* Three theatrical trailers
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Ian Christie

Interesting film, but no way I'm watching it again.

#543 - MODERN TIMES (Nov 16: BR/2-disc DVD)

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
* New audio commentary by Chaplin biographer David Robinson
* Two new visual essays, by Chaplin historians John Bengtson and Jeffrey Vance
* New program on the film’s visual and sound effects, with experts Craig Barron and Ben Burtt
* Interview from 1992 with Modern Times music arranger David Raksin
* Chaplin Today: “Modern Times” (2004), a half-hour program with filmmakers Luc and Jean-Pierre Dardenne
* Two segments removed from the film
* All at Sea (1933), a home movie by Alistair Cooke featuring Charlie Chaplin, Paulette Goddard, and Cooke, plus a new score by Donald Sosin and a new interview with Cooke’s daughter, Susan Cooke Kittredge
* The Rink (1916), a Chaplin two-reeler highlighting his skill on wheels
* For the First Time (1967), a Cuban documentary short about a projectionist who shows Modern Times to first-time moviegoers
* More!
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Saul Austerlitz and a piece by film scholar Lisa Stein that includes excerpts from Chaplin’s writing about his travels in 1931 and 1932

If I liked Chaplin more, this would be exciting. The only one I'd even think of buying is The Circus.

AMERICA LOST AND FOUND: THE BBS STORY (Nov 23: 6-disc BR/9-disc DVD)

Head
* New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-ray edition)
* Audio commentary featuring Monkees Micky Dolenz, Davy Jones, and Peter Tork
* New video interview with director Bob Rafelson
*New documentary about BBS, featuring critic David Thomson and historian Douglas Brinkley
*More!

Easy Rider
* New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* Audio commentary featuring director Dennis Hopper
* Easy Rider: Shaking the Cage, a 1999 documentary featuring behind-the-scenes footage
* Footage of Hopper and star Peter Fonda at Cannes in 1969
* New video interview with BBS’s Steve Blauner
* More!

Five Easy Pieces
* Audio commentary featuring director Bob Rafelson and interior designer Toby Rafelson
* Soul Searching in Five Easy Pieces, a 2009 video piece in which Rafelson discusses the film
* BBStory, a 2009 documentary
* Excerpts from an audio recording of Rafelson at the American Film Institute in 1976

Drive, He Said
* A Cautionary Tale of Campus Revolution and Sexual Freedom, a 2009 video piece in which director Jack Nicholson discusses the experience of making this film
* Theatrical trailer
* More!

A Safe Place
* Audio commentary featuring director Henry Jaglom
* Henry Jaglom Finds “A Safe Place,” a 2009 video piece in which the director discusses the film
* Notes on the New York Film Festival, a 1971 video piece featuring an interview conducted by critic Molly Haskell with directors Peter Bogdanovich and Jaglom about their films The Last Picture Show and A Safe Place
* Deleted scene and screen tests
* Theatrical trailer

The Last Picture Show
* Two audio commentaries, one featuring director Peter Bogdanovich and the other featuring Bogdanovich and actors Cybill Shepherd, Randy Quaid, Cloris Leachman, and Frank Marshall
* Picture This, a 1990 documentary by George Hickenlooper
* “The Last Picture Show”: A Look Back, an hour-long 1999 documentary
2009 interview with Bogdanovich
* Screen tests and location footage
* Theatrical trailers and more!

The King of Marvin Gardens
* Selected-scene audio commentary featuring director Bob Rafelson
* Reflections of a Philosopher King, a 2009 documentary about the making of the film
* Afterthoughts, a short 2002 documentary about the film, produced by Rafelson
* Theatrical trailer

I'm not big fan of the three I've seen (Easy Rider, Last Picture, 5EP) but certainly worth a rental.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Fag Boy Jim posted:

jesus, this is as good as October

For some people, probably even better. For me, only one purchase, but my wallet is grateful. Still an impressive line-up though.

December is usually a slim month, but maybe we'll get an interesting Eclipse set.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Love that Antichrist cover. Day one purchase for me as it was my favorite movie of last year.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Wow, just like October I want to get every title. Time so start saving up my pennies.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Also the DVD BBS set won't be out till a month later than its Blu-Ray counterpart

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Heh, cf.org got hacked and has been down all day. I bet they're going nuts right now.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Man this is a month and a half. Buying everything. The best part of Chaplin movies entering the catalog is finally after like 80 years they're getting nice posters.

Unruly Amoeba
Feb 11, 2007

The Lucas posted:

Love that Antichrist cover. Day one purchase for me as it was my favorite movie of last year.

I was wondering if they'd use a modified version of the Theatrical Poster or any of the Solaris-esque shots. But, this cover is great. This is pretty much a day one purchase for me. I find the film fascinating and need a second or third watching to catch things I missed. That and the documentary of it at Cannes should be worth watching.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wasn't expecting Night of the Hunter this soon. Awesome.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Oh god, this year has been totally loving awesome! Thanks Criterion! :woop:

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
poo poo YEAH ANTICHRIST!!!! everything else looks like gold too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

FitFortDanga posted:

#543 - MODERN TIMES (Nov 16: BR/2-disc DVD)

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
* New audio commentary by Chaplin biographer David Robinson
* Two new visual essays, by Chaplin historians John Bengtson and Jeffrey Vance
* New program on the film’s visual and sound effects, with experts Craig Barron and Ben Burtt
* Interview from 1992 with Modern Times music arranger David Raksin
* Chaplin Today: “Modern Times” (2004), a half-hour program with filmmakers Luc and Jean-Pierre Dardenne
* Two segments removed from the film

* All at Sea (1933), a home movie by Alistair Cooke featuring Charlie Chaplin, Paulette Goddard, and Cooke, plus a new score by Donald Sosin and a new interview with Cooke’s daughter, Susan Cooke Kittredge
* The Rink (1916), a Chaplin two-reeler highlighting his skill on wheels
* For the First Time (1967), a Cuban documentary short about a projectionist who shows Modern Times to first-time moviegoers
* More!
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Saul Austerlitz and a piece by film scholar Lisa Stein that includes excerpts from Chaplin’s writing about his travels in 1931 and 1932

All the stuff I bolded is already in the Warner special edition. Is this really that far off from a reissue for those of us without Blu-Ray players?

Now the Night of the Hunter 2-disc, that's an upgrade!