Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Their heads are too narrow. And holy gently caress that flamer looks terrible. It looks like GW's "airbrush".

Red Herring, that farseer is looking awesome. I think the feet blend into the robes a bit, though.

edit: table breakage :supaburn:

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Aug 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

maliciousonion, what is the scale of that mini, who makes it?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Jonny Nox posted:

maliciousonion, what is the scale of that mini, who makes it?

I have no idea.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

That's a french GD entry, I think? Coulda swore the guy who painted it sculpted the thing himself but I could be misremembering.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

S.J. posted:

That's a french GD entry, I think? Coulda swore the guy who painted it sculpted the thing himself but I could be misremembering.

I think you are right that it's a scratch build.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

But it's not 28mm is it? or else I'm gonna need a tissue and about 10 minutes alone.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

gently caress you, I bet you're the reason why there are no more Ripjaws or heavy Cryx kits! :argh:

I can't find out how to add a payment to PV's wacky site, what the hell

MinionOfCthulhu fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 16, 2010

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Jonny Nox posted:

But it's not 28mm is it? or else I'm gonna need a tissue and about 10 minutes alone.

No it's much bigger, like those Inquisitor sized models. 58 mm? I can't remember.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

gently caress you, I bet you're the reason why there are no more Ripjaws or heavy Cryx kits! :argh:

I can't find out how to add a payment to PV's wacky site, what the hell

Its paypal only, can you give me a rundown of whats going wrong?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

That wasn't his fault. :angel:

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

PaintVagrant posted:

Its paypal only, can you give me a rundown of whats going wrong?

Edit: Nevermind I'm an idiot. Dammit and now the Merc tokens are gone. :cry:

Aranan posted:

That wasn't his fault. :angel:

:argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:

MinionOfCthulhu fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 16, 2010

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I'm probably missing something dumb. It doesn't give me an option as far as payment goes.

Edit: Dammit and now the Merc tokens are gone. :cry:

Just keep confirming the order as it asks you questions. The last step takes you directly to paypal for the payment.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The other day I drew a sketch at work of an airship consisting of a sailing ship, but with the masts supporting a blimp instead of the sails. Then today I found this motherfucker for $16 bucks.

Which leads me to my question: Any ideas on how to make a blimp/balloon/dirigible so I can make some sky pirates?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

Paper mache?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

crime fighting hog posted:

No it's much bigger, like those Inquisitor sized models. 58 mm? I can't remember.

54mm. I may have been looking at GW's store at the Imperial Guard Inquisitor minis not 10 minutes after that image was posted.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cthulu Carl posted:

The other day I drew a sketch at work of an airship consisting of a sailing ship, but with the masts supporting a blimp instead of the sails. Then today I found this motherfucker for $16 bucks.

Which leads me to my question: Any ideas on how to make a blimp/balloon/dirigible so I can make some sky pirates?
Use a football. I've seen it done for orks. That's going to be a small ship at 1:72 scale though.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Cthulu Carl posted:

Because I'm crazy, I'd check my local craft supply stores and go over to their green floral foam section. They have blocks of the stuff there that you can then cut into the shape of a balloon, and after, if you're crazy like me, you could wrap thin layers of cloth around the foam to give the entire thing a canvas look, sealed in place with PVA glue.
Granted, there are likely other options available to you that would be far easier, but I like working with foam for the fact that you can sculpt rough details into it.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Sometimes I remember that if you're doing this properly you're supposed to paint stuff not just assemble it and then buy some more. These are all Black Reach boyz (bought on the sprue from Reginald Garibaldi IIRC) with varying amounts of hacking about done to them.

Also I need to get around to reassembling my light box. It dropped to bits months ago and I've just never bothered.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yaay Shallow orks. :swoon:

Still my favorite orks.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

With regards to that ghost I posted, I think it may be coming out as a sculpt from Pizarro Miniatures. They've got this guy, whose pic was hosted at the same directory and has some similar details. Oh, and it's 54mm.

Clicky!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Here's a better look at my wagon.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 17, 2010

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
drat, those buses do last for a long time.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Couldn't resist. :)

It always kinda makes me smile thinking about that, though.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Looks really great, though.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

MaliciousOnion posted:

With regards to that ghost I posted, I think it may be coming out as a sculpt from Pizarro Miniatures. They've got this guy, whose pic was hosted at the same directory and has some similar details. Oh, and it's 54mm.

Clicky!

I don't think they have Hellboy and Prince of Persia licenses, pretty sure they're gonna get sued.

because drat

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Jonny Nox posted:

I don't think they have Hellboy and Prince of Persia licenses, pretty sure they're gonna get sued.

because drat

They got a Locust and Marcus from Gears of War on there too. Pretty sure their tactic is to "make sure we don't use any of those words anywhere near the product in case the company does a Google Image Search for thefts of their IP.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So it's a good thing I didn't rename the image to hellboy.jpg, then.

Also, a lot of their models are quite good. This isn't

I'm just glad it would cost me $40 cad + overseas shipping to get one, not that I'm tempted.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jonny Nox posted:

So it's a good thing I didn't rename the image to hellboy.jpg, then.

Also, a lot of their models are quite good. This isn't

I'm just glad it would cost me $40 cad + overseas shipping to get one, not that I'm tempted.

Confederate Horseborne

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Cthulu Carl posted:

You mean like the airship in Teddy Ruxpin?

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
Does anyone have any good ways of painting glass?

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Clear glass: holy gently caress this is hard, I hope you're good at painting tiny representations of distorted backgrounds.

Colored: pick a couple tones, one bright one dark, and slap them on the bottle, separated by a line of glinting light (take a look at real bottles of that color under some bright lights as needed). Extra credit for adding a second shade layer to represent the liquid contents of the glass vessel in question, painted at an angle appropriate to gravity. If it's a bottle, consider painting an approximation of a label on if your freehand skills are up to it (handily reduces the amount of actual glass you need to paint. Finish with some brush-on gloss.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
There should be a guide on the Games Workshop Website; in the WD that had the Empire Wizard challenge there was glass painted, pretty sure a small tutorial on how it was done too.

I think it was there; I know I saw it recently cause I was referencing the same WD for the crystalline sword tutorial.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Uber Kosh posted:

Does anyone have any good ways of painting glass?

If you are painting windows, you may want to do the PVA glass window trick.
If it's anything else, what Revolver Ocelot Stabbington said.

EDIT:
Alien Beach WIP photos up soon.

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Aug 18, 2010

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
PVA glass trick?

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

PVA glass trick?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

PVA glass trick?

Oh, right. Say you want to put glass on your Warhammer Chapel or some such. Lay the window flat down on some wax paper (actual wax paper, not parchment) so that the wall rests level. If you find that ledges or other surface detail are getting in the way, flip the wall over and try it from the other side. Pour some PVA into the open window, and using a toothpick, spread it out until it covers the entire window. Bring the toothpick back to the center without removing it, and then as you pull it out, twirl it so that you don't have any distortions in the surface of the PVA. After the PVA fully dries and cures (turns clear), carefully peel away the wax paper and you should now have a window. If you want to strengthen the window, add a layer of glosscoat to both sides. For a colored glass effect, add a very small amount of ink to the glosscoat, not the PVA.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
For stained glass, you can then take a micron pen or similar water-resistant black writing device, sketch your image, and tint sections as appropriate with the aforementioned ink + gloss.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

stabbington posted:

For stained glass, you can then take a micron pen or similar water-resistant black writing device, sketch your image, and tint sections as appropriate with the aforementioned ink + gloss.

Hells yeah, buddy! :hfive:

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Oh, man. That trick sounds loving nifty. I've heard of some people trying to use clear resin to do this but it sounded messy. Thanks :)

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Sole.Sushi posted:

Oh, right. Say you want to put glass on your Warhammer Chapel or some such. Lay the window flat down on some wax paper (actual wax paper, not parchment) so that the wall rests level. If you find that ledges or other surface detail are getting in the way, flip the wall over and try it from the other side. Pour some PVA into the open window, and using a toothpick, spread it out until it covers the entire window. Bring the toothpick back to the center without removing it, and then as you pull it out, twirl it so that you don't have any distortions in the surface of the PVA. After the PVA fully dries and cures (turns clear), carefully peel away the wax paper and you should now have a window. If you want to strengthen the window, add a layer of glosscoat to both sides. For a colored glass effect, add a very small amount of ink to the glosscoat, not the PVA.

any pics of this process? Or final product?

• Locked thread