Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
I just learned what a "mall grab" is. Do people actually care about silly things like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermatic Cord
Jun 6, 2006
gently caress, I am completely awful at skating. After almost 2 months the best I can do is ollie maybe less than one foot. My shove its are pretty bad an I can't even do them while rolling. I can do them pretty well rolling fakie though. It's just too much fun to give up on.

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic
thats not bad for 2 months, skateboarding is hard and takes time

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

I just learned what a "mall grab" is. Do people actually care about silly things like that?

I don't do it because it completely wrecks your pants.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

A skateboarding faux-pas! But who cares right?

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

Rygar posted:

Some of you guys might have seen my goon-discount skate shop, Skately.

After 6 months of data entry, we just launched the Skately Library, a huge database of skate videos, skate brands, and riders from the past and present. It took an unbelievable amount of work to get this online. Seriously, we have every skateboarder and brand tagged in tens of thousands of video clips. Once you start clicking around, you can see how vast the site is.

We're not trying to be the hub for new releases, because that can get nasty. We're just trying to organize videos that have existed on YouTube for years, and make recommendations better than they could.

Give the site a look and let me know what you think.

This is so awesome. I was working on a project like this but abandoned it due to the scale of the whole thing. This is going to be one of my new favorite websites. Thanks.

Mincher
May 12, 2008

Sirkus posted:

A skateboarding faux-pas! But who cares right?

Exactly. Who honestly gives a poo poo? It's the smart way to carry a board in tight shopping aisles.

Also, the skate.ly library is brilliant. There's just so much to peruse, with more to come!

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Oh wow. I didn't realize there was a proper way to hold a skateboard when you are not riding it.

I'd like to thank ESPN for educating me on this topic as I have looked to ESPN for years regarding proper skateboarding etiquette: http://espn.go.com/action/skateboarding/blog?post=3929253

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

Yes and no. It is what it is but like most things with skateboarding it still exists.

Dirp
May 16, 2007

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Oh wow. I didn't realize there was a proper way to hold a skateboard when you are not riding it.

I'd like to thank ESPN for educating me on this topic as I have looked to ESPN for years regarding proper skateboarding etiquette: http://espn.go.com/action/skateboarding/blog?post=3929253

Wow I feel dumber knowing this now. Anyone who would ever call somebody out for doing this is undoubtedly a douchebag.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
It's just busting balls.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Look at what I just picked up...

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

The loving Future Primitive Graphic complete with Tracker trucks.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Sirkus posted:

:swoon: I want that loving board.

Urgh, this new city loving sucks for skating. My apartment complex has the worst driveway I've ever seen and the streets in one direction have such bad surfacing that they may as well be gravel, and the other is in the "downtown" district where you can be, and people have been, arrested for walking along the side of the road holding a skateboard. I've stepped on the board maybe twice in the last month. It doesn't help that it's almost a hundred degrees outside most days and I'm a cold weather kinda guy :argh:
e:

Spermatic Cord posted:

gently caress, I am completely awful at skating. After almost 2 months the best I can do is ollie maybe less than one foot. My shove its are pretty bad an I can't even do them while rolling. I can do them pretty well rolling fakie though. It's just too much fun to give up on.
It took me three months to be able to do a shuvit standing still and I still bail on more ollies than I land. It's fun to suck at skating~

Wungus fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 17, 2010

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Sirkus posted:

Nice catch! I remember being about 11 or 12 and for my friend's birthday party we went to Endless Grind in the big city of Raleigh NC as it was the most hugest skate shop within hundreds of miles and my friend got that deck as a complete. I think I bought some stickers and some of those foamy patches you could stick on the bottom of your board to get a better grip.

It's funny how kids can spend an eternity picking out stickers. Do you blow all your money on one big one or a variety of smaller ones?

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube

Sirkus posted:

Ah man, that's such a cool find.

I got all next week off work, and all the kids are back at school from the holidays so I got the skateparks to myself all week. Oh yeah!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

It's funny how kids can spend an eternity picking out stickers. Do you blow all your money on one big one or a variety of smaller ones?

I was at a shop using their bearing press a while ago and I watched a kid spend literally 10 minutes hemming and hawing over two different patches. Trying to figure out which one really speaks to him and about him as a person.

I left before the conclusion. I like to think he just threw his hands up and bought a soft pretzel instead.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Do you blow all your money on one big one or a variety of smaller ones?

You have to go variety all day :colbert:

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Just picked up my skateboard for the first time in a half year this past week. My boyfriend is teaching me how to do tricks. I'm trying to ollie and almost get it, but my legs flail around and go different directions. Is it just a mental thing to try and coordinate? I feel retarded that I still haven't gotten it yet especially since I snowboard and starting that was so easy for me. Please assure me that I'm not just retarded and it takes a long time to really get it.

Or maybe I am a little :downs:

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Snowboarding transfers over to longboarding, downhill, and slalom, more than street skating (in my experience)

If there are any of you street/park guys who might be interested in a small, soft wheel to smooth things up a bit, check out the new(ish) Earthwing Wild Childs

54 and 57mm, 83a, modern street shape with a core. I've heard they ride particularly well in rough parks.
Earthwing is a great little Brooklyn-based longboard company, and they put out a lot of great gear at great prices (for example: a drop-thru symmetrical "freeride" board for $99, and a topmount speedboard for $90)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

My Little Puni posted:

Just picked up my skateboard for the first time in a half year this past week. My boyfriend is teaching me how to do tricks. I'm trying to ollie and almost get it, but my legs flail around and go different directions. Is it just a mental thing to try and coordinate? I feel retarded that I still haven't gotten it yet especially since I snowboard and starting that was so easy for me. Please assure me that I'm not just retarded and it takes a long time to really get it.

Or maybe I am a little :downs:

It's muscle memory. You just don't have the muscle control in your legs yet. It'll come eventually.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Decided to do a little refurbishing on this little board I found in my in law's basement. It was my wife's brother's board when he was a kid. I'm getting this one in shape for my two year old son who's already chomping at the bit to skate.

It's been sitting for about 30 years.

In the upper left you can see the Powell Bombers I had laying around to replace the old wheels. Also got some cheap bearings.

Dirty as hell. I used my Khiro bushing kit to replace the old bushings. The pivot bushings were super small so I had to cut the new ones down to size. Worked pretty good.

Much better.

Kid approved.

The family quiver :smug:

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
That powell board looks awesome!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's my park board, since I got it I've never seen one like it. I traded some local skate shop owner for it a few years ago, the guy was collecting old school decks and he took a Lester Kasai deck I had laying around in trade......One old deck for a brand new complete! Couldn't pass that up, it's been the perfect board for riding bowls.

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.
A buddy of mine gave me some trucks and wheels for free, I just gotta buy myself a deck now and I'll have a pretty decent setup. How do I know what size board I need and stuff? I'm about 6'2" and weigh 210lbs.

shark week
Dec 22, 2007

Seconding that that Powell deck is amazing

Mincher
May 12, 2008

Mugmoor posted:

A buddy of mine gave me some trucks and wheels for free, I just gotta buy myself a deck now and I'll have a pretty decent setup. How do I know what size board I need and stuff? I'm about 6'2" and weigh 210lbs.

Well, at that height, you'd want to skate at least an 8" deck. You'll also need to measure (in inches) the trucks your friend gave you as you'll want them to match your deck width.

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.

Mincher posted:

Well, at that height, you'd want to skate at least an 8" deck. You'll also need to measure (in inches) the trucks your friend gave you as you'll want them to match your deck width.

Ah yeah, I guess that would settle what size I gotta get.

Snap Your Fingers
Dec 16, 2006
I've been insightful for about 17 years.
So I mention some stuff I was shooting a week or two ago. I didn't get to get the trick tips done, but I did finish a piece that's currently airing on my TV station. I don't think any of these kids are over 10, and they're sick. Hopefully I'll be getting the trick tips shot in the next month with Rob, and of course I'll share.

Forgive the slight cheese factor - our audience is tourists.
http://vimeo.com/14241384

If you want to see some more legit skating at the same park (Edwards, CO), here's this:
http://www.yobeat.com/2010/07/24/skate-day-saturday-edwrds-park/
*I had nothing to do with this one.

Rygar
Aug 25, 2002

answersyouseek posted:

This is so awesome. I was working on a project like this but abandoned it due to the scale of the whole thing. This is going to be one of my new favorite websites. Thanks.
Thanks, glad you like it. Spread the word!

Sirkus posted:

drat, nice find. That's one of my favorite Powell graphics from the 80s, I hope to get that deck in decent shape to hang on my wall one day.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
The skate and creates this year have been pretty good.

http://skateboarding.transworld.net/skate-and-create/

I really liked etnies and the Lakai one (this leaked early, it's somewhere on the interweb).

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Sirkus posted:

The skate and creates this year have been pretty good.

http://skateboarding.transworld.net/skate-and-create/

I really liked etnies and the Lakai one (this leaked early, it's somewhere on the interweb).

not really considering the mag came out the 19th

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Love the vintage decks, keep the pics coming!

In 1978 I had a board that was almost exactly like the red plastic one from the shots above, only it was not so wide. Anyone can guess what it was? I can't recall.

In return I am preparing a new LDP video with footage from a little trip I did on my longboard, with some cool stuff. Can't upload it right now cause the connection is horrible, but tomorrow I'll be back from vacations and will upload it.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

Golem II posted:

not really considering the mag came out the 19th

The video came with the mag?

Spermatic Cord
Jun 6, 2006
Anyone ever skate Bones STF? I ordered a set myself because I hated how hard and rough a ride my 52mm darkstars were. These are supposed to be softer. I'm getting the 54mm ones.

Bamm Bamm
May 7, 2007

I'm not a playa, I just fuck a lot.
Just want to voice appreciation for Skately and the library. Holy poo poo, this is great.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HURzHtw52Dg&feature=player_embedded

Dylan Reider has that pretty boy look with the man pop geez. It's not the original audio in the video by the way.

Mincher
May 12, 2008

Sirkus posted:

Dylan Reider has that pretty boy look with the man pop geez. It's not the original audio in the video by the way.

This is brilliant. The tre about 120 was so fast and laid back. Then the chilled, super-long boardslide a little later was just too cool! Thanks for sharing.

Oh, and I had to do this: http://bit.ly/dxV8wk

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Spermatic Cord posted:

Anyone ever skate Bones STF? I ordered a set myself because I hated how hard and rough a ride my 52mm darkstars were. These are supposed to be softer. I'm getting the 54mm ones.

lovely beginner never-gets-a-chance-to-skate here, but I've skated a couple of sets of Bones soft wheels and I wouldn't go back to anything else. They're like clouds, man.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Sirkus posted:

Nice. I think I saw an ollie impossible to tail grab over a huge fence gap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Bamm Bamm posted:

Just want to voice appreciation for Skately and the library. Holy poo poo, this is great.

Seconded .. Unfortunately I'm the wrong side of the ocean for them to ship to me, but the library is ace.

By the way, I'm back from vacations and with broadband comes another video. It may not be as epic as I'd like it to be, because after all this is LDP, but I had fun shooting it and it helps spreading the stoke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsZRBvgLM_U