Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Goddamn. The entire head of the piston is gone. I've always seen SOME of it remain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
I've never seen a piston completely vaporize like that.

That poor 283, good little motors.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I feel bad about killing the 283 but I got another 283 from craigslist that already has a hot cam in it :D

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vBWtq_uacs

That would scare the ever loving poo poo out of me.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Haha, reminds me of over-revving in Need For Speed. WHEEEEEEEEEEE-brrrrrclickclunkclangpingping

teh jhey
May 23, 2004

Kitty needs more souls.

Kotaru posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vBWtq_uacs

That would scare the ever loving poo poo out of me.

This is an awesome shot, considering it was taken from inside the car.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

youtube comment posted:

WHY THE gently caress DO REALLY WHITE NOT TAN PEOPLE TAKE THEIR SHIRTS OFF!! you are a fuckin tard for life!
Made my day

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

teh jhey posted:

This is an awesome shot, considering it was taken from inside the car.

I WANT TO BELIEVE.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MikeyTsi posted:

I WANT TO BELIEVE.

Hahahaha. It's just swamp gas at 36 PSI.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Pipkin posted:

I feel bad about killing the 283 but I got another 283 from craigslist that already has a hot cam in it :D

Isn't the earliest hot cam the LT4 hotcam? Those require a roller block, which no 283 is. Is there an earlier one that I haven't heard of? Google is only showing me the LSx and LT4 hotcams.

e: or do you just mean a generic cam which is hot instead of the GMPP Hotcam? Maybe I misunderstood.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Just showed up on my friend's facebook from the ship he's working on:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Give me an object for a sense of scale for that. Boats are big.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

This one is just a baby really

It's just from a generator, not a main engine.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
wow my broken part on facebook of the day has nothing on that:

list of things done wrong on that one:

headers/up-pipe
turbo
intercooler
boost control solenoid
turboback exhaust
PO's water/meth injection disconnected
stock injectors
no tune
retard street racer

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Raluek posted:

Isn't the earliest hot cam the LT4 hotcam? Those require a roller block, which no 283 is. Is there an earlier one that I haven't heard of? Google is only showing me the LSx and LT4 hotcams.

e: or do you just mean a generic cam which is hot instead of the GMPP Hotcam? Maybe I misunderstood.

I didn't mean hot cam by name, just that its better than stock. Its the 327/350hp cam.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

jamal posted:

stock injectors
no tune

Favourite part.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005
Another celebratory burnout victim:

Doesn't look that bad eh? New diff and back plate and she'll be fine.

Rats.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Ormy posted:

Another celebratory burnout victim:

Doesn't look that bad eh? New diff and back plate and she'll be fine.

Rats.

Pegleg burnout, I take it?

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

Taco Box posted:

Pegleg burnout, I take it?

Yeah :smith:

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Ephphatha posted:

It looks more like it just snapped, you wouldn't be able to shift into any higher gear and still have it rubbing against the chain. Hell, the only way I can see you sawing through would be if you had such a poorly adjusted derailleur that it was rubbing in the smallest gear, and that wouldn't break it that high up.
I've done this before with an "inherited" bike...it must have been about 20 years old. The derailleur arm just wore through, because noone (myself included) bothered to adjust it so it didn't rub when the chain was actually in the proper gear. Instead of just rubbing when shifting, it always rubbed. Oops.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Ormy posted:

Hm, you just reminded me that I should check the level, and color of my rear diff's oil.

One for an S-10 takes 85 weight gear oil, right?

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ormy posted:

Yeah :smith:

Bright side: You now have an excuse to toss that open diff.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Pipkin posted:

I didn't mean hot cam by name, just that its better than stock. Its the 327/350hp cam.

Throw some double humps on there to match! 283s had pretty small valves and ports, iirc. Then again, this is a truck, that is probably unnecessary.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

From a Dodge Sprinter at work. The owner said he was driving along and BOOM. Sorry for the tiny pic but my cameraphone is lovely.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Little bit from the latest MRT Performance newsletter; why not to drop the clutch at 8.5k. Almost pedestrian for this thread.

Not sure what part of the car this last picture is of.. looks like there's some steering bits here, so my guess is that it cleaved through an exhaust pipe and took out part of the body?

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

hahahahah he effectively destroyed that entire car. AWESOME.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Haha that's gone straight through the frame, gently caress.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Hahaha, that sucks so bad, he really did ruin that car. I'm so glad nothing that bad has happened to me while acting like an rear end in a top hat to my car. Blowing the engine wasn't poo poo.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
My old man still has a piece of clutch in his leg put there in the late 60's after unceremoniously dumping the clutch on his 67 Olds 442. That poo poo is scary.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Wow, he even separated the teeth.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Is that some cheapass chinese "lightened" flywheel or something?

Lucky skylines have North/South engines

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

trouser chili posted:

My old man still has a piece of clutch in his leg put there in the late 60's after unceremoniously dumping the clutch on his 67 Olds 442. That poo poo is scary.

I've still got a scar from a torque converter coming apart in a buddies car. The worst was the part about it being an '80 Malibu Classic. It doesn't matter how nice it was or how much money he spent on the engine, it was a Malibu Classic. He jumped on it leaving a light and when it hit second it blew the torque converter apart, took out the tunnel and hot fluid and metal showered the interior. It took a few weeks to fix that car and i was always a bit concerned when i rode in it after that.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Weren't those Malibus G-bodies? G-bodies are awesome.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Whitey Ford posted:

Is that some cheapass chinese "lightened" flywheel or something?

Lucky skylines have North/South engines

Which transverse engines have their transaxle on the passenger side? I'm gonna start favoring those in my FWD rating process.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Weren't those Malibus G-bodies? G-bodies are awesome.

Yeah, they were actually cool for the year but most people thought of their grandparents when they heard Malibu Classic. It was a badass mini tubbed straight line car but it would have been much cooler if my hosed up leg came from my own '66 Malibu or a random F-body.

Fifteen plus years later and i still have the scar.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
DSMs, Hondas, etc

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Late one night I was passing alongside a truck that was accelerating down a highway on ramp when a large red hot rotating mass shot from under it at me. I assume it was a part of the clutch or flywheel. It missed me, but not by much.

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

I'm pretty sure that's an R32 Skyline on top of it all.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Which transverse engines have their transaxle on the passenger side? I'm gonna start favoring those in my FWD rating process.
Depends on which side of the road you drive on :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazychris2000
Apr 2, 2010

I graduated college with a 2.0 GPA so go figure I can't fucking read

rocket_350 posted:

Late one night I was passing alongside a truck that was accelerating down a highway on ramp when a large red hot rotating mass shot from under it at me. I assume it was a part of the clutch or flywheel. It missed me, but not by much.

That's gotta be pants-shittingly terrifying!