Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
About to negotiate for a 2004 Jetta 2.0L, 66k miles, carfax checks out, mechanic inspection checks out. KBB is 7050 for the condition, asking is 6800, i'm pretty sure I can get him down to 6200-6400. Carmax will take the old Camry for 3000, so I'm coming out pretty ahead here, considering there's a cylinder going bad and an engine replacement is easily $3400. I feel a lot more comfortable dumping it on Carmax when their cars are overpriced anyway, versus some schmuck on craigslist.

$3200 cash for a Jetta in pretty good condition works for me. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jealous Cow posted:

I don't think you're in a position to be too picky. Hopefully the model you have in mind is a low cost of ownership and historically reliable model, and not a Mini or WRX.

Cadillac. American, easy to fix, parts aren't too expensive, and they're always owned by old guys or are corporate fleet cars, so they're well taken care of. Should be a good fit to last 4-5 years. And the dealer just redid the air suspension and shocks.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

devmd01 posted:

$3200 cash for a Jetta in pretty good condition works for me. :)

I'm not sure there is such a thing as an 04 Jetta in good condition, it just has bits that haven't broken yet.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

sanchez posted:

I'm not sure there is such a thing as an 04 Jetta in good condition, it just has bits that haven't broken yet.

I have an 01 Jetta with 200K that I've owned since 2004. Like most cars, it's all about the upkeep. If you don't mind paying 200-300 a year in minor repairs, you won't pay the 1000-3000 for the huge poo poo that happens when you ignore everything else.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

LorneReams posted:

I have an 01 Jetta with 200K that I've owned since 2004. Like most cars, it's all about the upkeep. If you don't mind paying 200-300 a year in minor repairs, you won't pay the 1000-3000 for the huge poo poo that happens when you ignore everything else.

Hah, I guess you'd say the same thing about a Range Rover from the same period too? Mid 00's VW's are abysmal.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Astroman posted:

Cadillac.

:doh:

Insurance? Gas?

Why not pick up an AMC Javelin?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jealous Cow posted:

:doh:

Insurance? Gas?

Why not pick up an AMC Javelin?

It's a 99...the insurance won't be that much more than I'm paying now. As far as gas, my 01 PT Cruiser that I drove for 10 years was 17/23 and this is 15/24...and most of my driving is highway. Newer Caddies aren't the gas guzzlers from the 70s that people still think they are.

I could have gotten a more economical car that I'd have hated, or paid more for a new subcompact with awesome mileage but be paying far more in payments than I'd save in gas, and I'd hate it.

This gets me a good, well made car that has a reputation for lasting a long time and isn't known to be prone to a lot of mechanical problems.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Astroman posted:

It's a 99...the insurance won't be that much more than I'm paying now. As far as gas, my 01 PT Cruiser that I drove for 10 years was 17/23 and this is 15/24...and most of my driving is highway. Newer Caddies aren't the gas guzzlers from the 70s that people still think they are.

I could have gotten a more economical car that I'd have hated, or paid more for a new subcompact with awesome mileage but be paying far more in payments than I'd save in gas, and I'd hate it.

This gets me a good, well made car that has a reputation for lasting a long time and isn't known to be prone to a lot of mechanical problems.

So you want to finance a 1999 Cadillac?

In 2010?

Can you help me rationalize buying that margaritaville I've always wanted?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jealous Cow posted:

So you want to finance a 1999 Cadillac?

In 2010?

Can you help me rationalize buying that margaritaville I've always wanted?

I have good reasons. I have no savings, because I left my high paying retail job and took a 50% pay cut to work in my degree field 3 years ago. Then I was laid off for 8 months because it's in a dying industry.

I went back to retail, I'm doing it for a year, then I'm going back to college for a different career, because I hate retail.

Paying in cash for a car costing any amount over $1000 isn't an option, paying in cash for less than $1000 (or really $3000) is foolish because I'll be stuck with a car that may not pass inspection, could need $2k of repairs in a few months, etc.

Buying a newer, more expensive car would be bad for me because I want to have it paid off in a year, so I won't have car payments when I go back to school and am only working part time.

And, in the end, it comes down to buying a car I like. I'm sure lots of people on here could recommend very nice cars like Civics or whatnot that are cheap, reliable, and have good gas mileage. But I've always wanted a luxury car. So if I had to choose between a 99 Caddy and an '05 Probe or Civic, I'm going to get the older car.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Astroman posted:

paying in cash for less than $1000 (or really $3000) is foolish because I'll be stuck with a car that may not pass inspection, could need $2k of repairs in a few months, etc.

Astroman posted:

So if I had to choose between a 99 Caddy and an '05 Probe or Civic, I'm going to get the older car.

The 99 Cadillac doesn't meet the good part of the criteria (cheap) and does meet the bad part of it (likely to have a more expensive repair). Not because it is a Cadillac, but because it is 11 years old and repairs just come with the territory of 11 year old cars.

Astroman posted:

But I've always wanted a luxury car.

This is why you are really spending more money. Its ok, just be at ease with that. But a 11 year old $5000 Cadillac isn't exactly going to be luxurious either.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
To be fair, I see Cadillac of that vintage in the junkyard on a regular basis, so as long as he's familiar with the local yard, he can probably keep it running for stupidly cheap for awhile.

Now, if he's NOT familiar with such things...

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K
Catera by chance? AVOID!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Not a Catera, it's a DeVille.

Arzakon posted:

The 99 Cadillac doesn't meet the good part of the criteria (cheap) and does meet the bad part of it (likely to have a more expensive repair). Not because it is a Cadillac, but because it is 11 years old and repairs just come with the territory of 11 year old cars.

This is why you are really spending more money. Its ok, just be at ease with that. But a 11 year old $5000 Cadillac isn't exactly going to be luxurious either.

Well it is in really perfect shape as far as the motor, interior, exterior, runs great, no leaks, and the air suspension/shocks were just replaced which I know can be an issue with Cadillacs, plus new brakes and mufflers. I took it on the highway and it shifted smooth. There could be some hidden problem I don't know about, but that can hold true for any car. It's luxurious for me, when the newest car I had was a PT Cruiser and the nicest was an 84 Olds Cutlass. Plus I like the 90s Cadillac body style.

It pretty much had to be under $5k for my plan of paying it off in a year to work. I looked around locally and don't see any cars under 5k that are newer than 04, and most are 01-02. So I could get an 03 Focus or an 02 Elantra with 20k less miles, or I could get the car I want.

I'm not afraid of going to a junkyard either, and I have friends that are knowledgeable and can help me with minor repairs. Yeah, a Cadillac will cost more to fix partswise than a cheaper car, but it won't be as bad as say, a VW.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Astroman posted:

There could be some hidden problem I don't know about, but that can hold true for any car.

Keep in mind that every used car was sold/traded in for a reason.

As with every car, look online for known problems with Devilles, maybe visit some Deville forums (do those exist? maybe Deville retirement centers?) and look over the car again knowing precisely what to look for.

If you're not comfortable doing that, take it to a mechanic not associated with the dealer you're getting the car from and preferably knowledgeable about Cadillac of that vintage for an independent inspection.

Maybe it is a really good buy, but if the dealer balks at you going over every inch of the car then they probably have something to hide.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CornHolio posted:

Keep in mind that every used car was sold/traded in for a reason.

As with every car, look online for known problems with Devilles, maybe visit some Deville forums (do those exist? maybe Deville retirement centers?) and look over the car again knowing precisely what to look for.

If you're not comfortable doing that, take it to a mechanic not associated with the dealer you're getting the car from and preferably knowledgeable about Cadillac of that vintage for an independent inspection.

Maybe it is a really good buy, but if the dealer balks at you going over every inch of the car then they probably have something to hide.

Yeah, I've been looking at Cadillacs for awhile now, so I've done some research. Biggest problems seem to be suspension and electrical system. Everything I could check seemed to check out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Man, everyone shits on VWs.

Granted an 01 or 02 MkIV got below-average ratings on reliability, but by 05, the MkIV had most of the kinks worked out, and J.D. Power rates it a tick better in most categories than the earlier models.
2005 Jetta rating

I mean it's not as good as a (substantially cheaper!) Focus of the same vintage, but these cars had really nice interiors well above normal for the class and price mark, and a lot of people will pay extra for that. They've also held their value quite well.

I'm not saying they're the most reliable car by any means, of course, just that I think the anti-VW faction is, let's say, overenthusiastic at times.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

A two and a half star dependability rating based on the first three years of ownership doesn't inspire confidence.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

No, not really. But it does put VWs well above the worst tier of reliability (Hummer territory), which is contrary to opinions like "Mid 00's VW's are abysmal".

I don't want to belabor the point too much. Just noticed a couple or three threads lately where various people (who usually have never owned one and are relying on hearsay) insist that VWs are the worst cars and nobody should ever buy one.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I think the problem is that when VWs have problems, they are more of the "OH poo poo MY CAR IS ON FIRE" type of problem, rather than "I have to replace a noisy/broken strut" kind.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That's maybe true of 1960s-70s aircooled VWs (which literally catch on fire while sitting there), but it's not remotely true of any modern car, including VW.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Leperflesh posted:

That's maybe true of 1960s-70s aircooled VWs (which literally catch on fire while sitting there), but it's not remotely true of any modern car, including VW.

Both my 1995 BMW and my 2000 Intrepid both caught on fire on my way to work. In comparison, the 2001 VW Jetta has not had a single problem that wasn't fixed under recall or extended hidden warranty

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Leperflesh posted:

VW just recalled the routan for fire hazards. They have also recalled the passat in the past, the jetta had some fuel leak issues, i think the new beetles had an ignition wiring problem also where things were melting.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

quote:

JUNE 2010 -- Volkswagen is recalling certain model year 2009 Routan vehicles manufactured from June 2008 through July 2009. These vehicles may have been built with an improper routed wire harness that may have a condition where the lower sliding door hinge bracket can make contact and wear through the wire insulation. Contact with a 12V power feed circuit within the harness may cause a high resistive short circuit within the latch mechanism located inside of the sliding door. This could result in an overheated latch and a fire within the rear sliding door could occur. Volkswagen will inspect the sliding door wire track wire assembly and the sliding door power drive unit wire assembly for damage, repair/replace as necessary, tie strap the two harnesses together and route the harnesses under the sliding door weather strip. This service will be performed free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin during July 2010. 10V-252

Not exactly Routans bursting into flame. Google News couldn't even find any articles about this; I suspect it's just a case where VW caught a worn wire issue ahead of any actual incidents.

Jetta recalls

The fuel leak issue:

quote:

Detroit News -- July 8, 2007 -- Volkswagen AG is recalling 2006 Jetta cars with 2.5-liter gasoline engines in the United States because a tab on the windshield-wiper fluid container can rub against a fuel line, possibly causing a leak and fire, Bloomberg News reported.

The recall will affect about 58,900 cars and will begin in August, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said on its Web site. Dealers will remove the plastic tab on the fluid reservoir and, if necessary, replace the fuel line, Volkswagen told the agency, Bloomberg reported

That's not great, I guess. Honestly though, this list isn't unusual for any car really.

LorneReams posted:

Both my 1995 BMW and my 2000 Intrepid both caught on fire on my way to work. In comparison, the 2001 VW Jetta has not had a single problem that wasn't fixed under recall or extended hidden warranty

I'd like to hear how your BMW and Intrepid caught fire! Was there damage or un-maintained wear that caused this?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Leperflesh posted:

I'd like to hear how your BMW and Intrepid caught fire! Was there damage or un-maintained wear that caused this?

In both cases something related to the AC overheated and caused it to catch fire, and that spread up the ignition wires and caught the whole engine up. In the BMW, it happened when it was parked, and the fire department was right next door. They put it out for me. In the Intrepid, I was driving on a highway and I started to lose power. When I got to the point where I was flooring it and going 55, I decided to pull over. I walked to the front, opened to hood and was greeted by an inferno. I jumped back and had no idea what to do. I think I started stammering like an idiot. Eventually a truck pulled over and put the fire out with his fire extinguisher.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm guessing your AC compressor failed by locking, but you kept driving, causing an accessory belt to rub and the friction eventually started a fire? Does that sound right?

If that's the case, its something that could probably happen to any car (with an old and failing AC compressor), under the right circumstances. Not really a design or manufacturing defect.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Sounds like in the BMW either the water pump broke or radiator neck split (both common on E36s) and the engine overheated which, when not noticed, ignited some dust or something nearby before it shut down.

The BMW's compressor is on its own belt, so if it locks up the compressor clutch will give or the belt will break.

I always heard that most modern VWs just had electrical gremlins that were nearly impossible to track down and would just cause headache after headache with the worst case being the car only starts intermittently.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, that's pretty much the majority of complaints about newer VWs, and it doesn't really apply to every model/model year.

Also it's rumor. On the 'net, forums and rumor mills concentrate on complaints (in all respects, not just cars), which I think can get exaggerated. It's similar to how so many people were convinced that you having a BMW meant you had a car that was necessarily unreliable and outrageously expensive to maintain. People 'just knew' that had to be true.

And it is, if you own a 7-series auto that you always take to the dealer to get fixed. But that's not special about BMWs, it's just the nature of luxury cars and dealer prices.

No amount of pointing out lower parts prices and that the parts you've been replacing are wear parts on any car will convince some folks, and no amount of pointing out actually sourced ratings and such will convince some people that all VWs are terrible cars that nobody should ever buy.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Leperflesh posted:

I'm guessing your AC compressor failed by locking, but you kept driving, causing an accessory belt to rub and the friction eventually started a fire? Does that sound right?

If that's the case, its something that could probably happen to any car (with an old and failing AC compressor), under the right circumstances. Not really a design or manufacturing defect.

I honestly don't know as the fire destroyed everything and I was just paid off without any investigation. It actually bothered me a little bit that they didn't want to look into it because I really want to know what caused it. I loved that intrepid and I had just paid it off that year. The BMW was an old beater and was my second car, so I didn't really care. The BMW was a 528i BTW. I bought it from a friend for like $500.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

No, not really. But it does put VWs well above the worst tier of reliability (Hummer territory), which is contrary to opinions like "Mid 00's VW's are abysmal".

I don't want to belabor the point too much. Just noticed a couple or three threads lately where various people (who usually have never owned one and are relying on hearsay) insist that VWs are the worst cars and nobody should ever buy one.

I still think they're abysmal, at least with a Hummer (or Range Rover) you're getting a different kind of vehicle, something that for some people will be worth the reliability trade off. A Jetta is just a cheap 4 door sedan, you may as well buy one that isn't rated 2 stars for feature/interior dependency and have accessories that actually work.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

sanchez posted:

I still think they're abysmal, at least with a Hummer (or Range Rover) you're getting a different kind of vehicle, something that for some people will be worth the reliability trade off. A Jetta is just a cheap 4 door sedan, you may as well buy one that isn't rated 2 stars for feature/interior dependency and have accessories that actually work.

Let's just all buy late '90s American luxurymobiles! Detroit Mexican steel plastic baby!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

sanchez posted:

Obviously people buy them, and do so even after cross-shopping with other sedans. Have you driven one? Sometimes there are features people like about a car that don't just narrow down to horsepower or reliability ratings or whatever. VW sold a lot of Jettas; they do so with differentiating factors and a price point that attracts customers. Gotta be a reason.

shredswithpiks
Jul 5, 2006
Blast! I need a goon account!

Leperflesh posted:

Obviously people buy them, and do so even after cross-shopping with other sedans. Have you driven one? Sometimes there are features people like about a car that don't just narrow down to horsepower or reliability ratings or whatever. VW sold a lot of Jettas; they do so with differentiating factors and a price point that attracts customers. Gotta be a reason.

Just bought a 2000 Jetta VR6 to replace a 1995 Impreza 1.8l 2door. It's comfortable, has a bunch of luxury-esque items (power everyfreakingthing, great sound system, blah blah blah). Ir'a easy and really fun to drive around town, rides smooth on the highway... after test driving about a million different sedans I can say this was the best one I could find for the $3k-beater range. Of course, I do a lot of my own mechanic work so failed parts doesn't intimidate me too bad.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
For what it's worth, VW does have one thing that very few carmakers offer (at least until very recently): diesel passenger cars.

They were offering their TDi line back when gas was cheap, and now that gas is much more expensive you can get a beater oilburner for cheap that gets 50+mpg. Can't say that about every car.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

For sure. They're unfortunately much rarer here in California, because until about 2006 or 2007, VW couldn't sell their TDIs here due to archaic and idiotic CARB restrictions that ignored how clean diesels had become.

Congrats on your new car, shredswithpiks! Keep up on the maintenance, and you should be in good shape for years to come.

Oh, also be sure to head over to AI and check out the VW Q&A Megathread!

\/\/\/ It's a 2000, they've almost certainly already been fixed under recall by now.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 20, 2010

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

shredswithpiks posted:

Of course, I do a lot of my own mechanic work so failed parts doesn't intimidate me too bad.
Better prepare for the eventuality that your windows will fall into the doors.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

destructo posted:

There's a recall for that, no? I don't think they expire.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

destructo posted:

This has happened to me twice already. Can't wait to sell this loving car <:mad:>

The Wormy Guy
May 7, 2002
Just wondering if anyone has seen this little video from Dave Ramsey "Drive Free, Retire Rich":

http://www.daveramsey.com/media/flash/elearning/drive-free/player.html

Thoughts on this? I've purchased 7 or 8 used cards in my life, but have been without one (of my own) for the last 3 years. Come this January, I'll be moving cities and will need to purchase a car. I've considered getting a pretty cheap one ($4k-6k), instead of a more expensive used one ($10k-15k).

shredswithpiks
Jul 5, 2006
Blast! I need a goon account!

destructo posted:

*Exact thing happened to my '92 Talon TSi driver side, '99 Camaro z28 passenger side, and '02 WRX driver side. It seems all my power window motors have cranked themselves right off the door panels... this is less of a worry for me and more of an expectation at this point. Definitely nothing to slam VW about, in any case.

*not sure if the jetta's problem is the motor falling off mounts or what, just sayin...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I was told by the guy who fixed it is it's because they used plastic retaining clips. The recall replaces them with metal ones. I'm sure other cars followed this grand cost cutting measure.