Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

scapulataf posted:

Insert joke about ancient, oxcart suspension, 40 year old platform, lol uhmarikkkun car here.

I, too, get my opinions from a British car show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

frozenphil posted:

The Fox body platform only went from 1979 to 2004, mister! Every other Mustang platform was changed after 5 years or so. The first 6 years of the Mustang saw a platform change every 2 years.

The S197 chassis looks like it may have long legs.

Yeah maybe, but its amazing how many people still think "hurr RWD and live axle, it must be a 30/40/50 year old platform".

A.o.D. posted:

I, too, get my opinions from a British car show.

While the British have been responsible for some goddam sexy cars over the years, they've got nothing to boast about.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

frozenphil posted:

No Mustangs were made from '74 through '78

This is the only correct viewpoint, anyone who disagrees is sadly mistaken.

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

I had a friend who would constantly defend the Mustang II. Did they have any redeeming features or was he a moron?

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

CamH posted:

I had a friend who would constantly defend the Mustang II. Did they have any redeeming features or was he a moron?

Mostly a moron. Although didn't we have a guy around here who was restoring a Mustang II only to have the thread end with some internet detectives finding out he was posting all over white supremacy boards?

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

kronix posted:

Mostly a moron. Although didn't we have a guy around here who was restoring a Mustang II only to have the thread end with some internet detectives finding out he was posting all over white supremacy boards?

It was actually a 72, so it wasn't a Mustang II. You can read the Saclopedia entry under "dalabast."

Atom1klad
Dec 17, 2002

frozenphil posted:

Where does it say Mustang on that riced out Pinto? :colbert:

Point stands!

It's a fox body, and a sweet looking car. I would love to own one.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Atom1klad posted:

It's a fox body.

Fox chassis and no, it isn't.

turnerburna
Jan 11, 2005
Cobra Commander
Anyone going to be at Mustang Alley Saturday? Ford is going to have the new BOSS 302 there. I can take pictures if anyone is interested.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Atom1klad posted:

It's a fox body, and a sweet looking car. I would love to own one.

Here's your chance:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2341562&pagenumber=351&perpage=40#post381024281

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Anybody have any idea what MSRP and street date is for the new BOSS? I'm in the market for a new car and its now on the shortlist.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

CamH posted:

Their only redeeming value is that they let Mustang owners rag on Camaro/Trans Am/Charger/Challenger owners for having a period in their time line where production halted while the Mustang has never missed a year.

Garbage smog-dog engines, flexi-flyer chassis, and horrible styling only enjoyed by hipsters and inbreds.

Huge_Midget posted:

Anybody have any idea what MSRP and street date is for the new BOSS? I'm in the market for a new car and its now on the shortlist.

Ford hasn't released anything yet that I am aware of. I'd expect a price between a well optioned premium GT and the GT500, released sometime this Fall.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

CamH posted:

The front suspension is good to use on a hot rod. It is the right width and is better then most alternatives.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

frozenphil posted:

Garbage smog-dog engines, flexi-flyer chassis, and horrible styling only enjoyed by hipsters and inbreds.

And the actual Mustang is various guises at least partially this in some ways? Sounds like engines until 85, any vert until now, and SN95 before New Edge. Ford just conveniently was able to slough off the darkest of the Dark Ages with being able to blame a Pinto. Clever ploy, but I guarantee it wasn't the original intention.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
I thought you mustang guys might be hot to know about this and might not look in the marketplace so I thought i'd crosspost it.

Bob Log posted:

My very good friend is selling a built 68' Mustang with a 408 windsor in it. The thing is ridiculous and he only wants 20k for it. If you're interested let me know. Pics here:

Zipped pics:
http://krogoth.org/2010-08-08%2068%20Mustang.7z

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-68-Mustang-Complete-Resto-Mod-/150478202093?pt=US_Cars_Trucks

and all the poo poo he's done to it:
Full 4 wheel all steel rolled fender flares rears welded with minimal filler (car is 9" wider than stock)
Beaded wheel wells
Rear mini tubs
3.5" Cowl induction hood
GT 350Rstyle front valance with functional brake cooling
GTCS style functional vent scoops for rear brake cooling
Shelby style rear fiberglass
Cobra mirrors
Custom rear valance
Safecraft seats
82 feet of roll cage and chassis bracing (NASA and SCCA inspected)
Safecraft fire suppression system (out of date)
Autometer gauges retrofitted to stock instrument cluster
Simpson 5 point restraint
Quick disconnect steering wheel
Safecraft window safety net
Painless switches and new wiring harness
408 Windsor 450H.P.
(please contact me for specific details)
Paxton Novi 2000 Supercharger
Victor Junior aluminum heads
Victor Junior intake manifold
Custom fabricated cool air induction
Holly 750 C.F.M. supercharger carburetor
Aeromotive in tank fuel pump and pressure regulator
Be Cool oversize radiator with electric water pump and dual fans
MSD Electronic ignition distributor with BTM
Wilwood 4 piston disc brakes
13.5" front rotors and 11.5" rear rotors
Wilwood brake balancer
Kinesis Wheels
Tremec TKOII 5 speed transmission
McLeod Griggs Racing 2 disc clutch with hydraulic master cylinder and throw out bearing
2000 Cobra R bell housing
Total Control front and rear coil over system
Tubular control arms
Afco shocks
Watts Link
Torque Arm
Total Control Power Rack with CRC pump and reservoir cooler
9" differential with 3:50 gears and Detroit Locker
Large Spline axles
(I also have a complete ACCEL EFI conversion that I may consider including)

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

frozenphil posted:

Ford hasn't released anything yet that I am aware of. I'd expect a price between a well optioned premium GT and the GT500, released sometime this Fall.

I dont know why, but I really like the Boss 302 even more than the Shelby. would anyone care to guess which car would be worth more in 25 years? the Shelby or the Boss.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

frozenphil posted:

....and horrible styling only enjoyed by hipsters and inbreds.

Why do you hurt me so?

(By the way, I'm the resident "retard" that defends the Mustang II which is a totally acceptable Mustang and you should all be ashamed of yourselves for shunning the guys that bring them to car shows)

EDIT: But I also love the Pinto, Gremlin, Maverick, and the mid- to late-70's Hornet AMXes so take this post as you will.

Professor Bling fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 19, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Professor Bling posted:

Why do you hurt me so?

So which is it, hipster or inbred? :colbert:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Bob Log posted:

I thought you mustang guys might be hot to know about this and might not look in the marketplace so I thought i'd crosspost it.

That thing is loving hideous. The mess up front, the awful GT500 tails, and those wheels... augh.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

frozenphil posted:

So which is it, hipster or inbred? :colbert:

I live 70 miles from Kentucky and routinely wear pub caps, it could really be either one.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

CombatWombat posted:

That thing is loving hideous. The mess up front, the awful GT500 tails, and those wheels... augh.

pretty much this. There's so little orginal car left, how can you even call it a "resto-mod". The thing looks like a kit car.

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

CombatWombat posted:

rscott posted:

pretty much this. There's so little orginal car left, how can you even call it a "resto-mod". The thing looks like a kit car.

It's loving race car you retards, and it's glorious.

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&h...l=&oq=&gs_rfai=

His only mistake was wasting all that on a coupe. He could possibly have doubled his asking price with a Shelby cloned fastback.

edit for supporting link:

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&h...%20am%20mustang

Thelonious Drunk fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 20, 2010

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Oxytocin posted:

His only mistake was wasting all that on a coupe. He could possibly have doubled his asking price with a Shelby cloned fastback.

You do know that the coupes were the ones raced in '67 and '68, right?

And therefore the coupe would be the most correct choice and the one any actual "classic racing" Mustang enthusiast would be going for.

(and it looks horrible)

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

Professor Bling posted:

You do know that the coupes were the ones raced in '67 and '68, right?

And therefore the coupe would be the most correct choice and the one any actual "classic racing" Mustang enthusiast would be going for.

(and it looks horrible)

I do, but from personal experience fastbacks typically go for twice as much what coupes bring. That car is not a true "vintage racer" in the sense it's using mostly modern components anyway. I know nothing of the different types of circuits a lot of SCCA cars fall under, but in this case, as cobbled together as it is it may as well have been a fastback. I know it doesn't look like it but he easily put 30K into that car, and no one will want it because it's not as sought after or pretty as a fastback with the same components.

I owned a '68 fastback 67 Shelby clone with a 3 speed, 289 2bl, Lincoln Versailles rear and minor suspension work that sat for 12 years that I sold for 13.6k in 2007. That coupe with the same poo poo I had on my car would have been lucky to fetch 4-5K.

Edit: Now with pics!

I... I think I was loving crying here :( (I was drunk)

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Click here for the full 941x516 image.

Thelonious Drunk fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 20, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Clones are the worst and Shelbys look like poo poo after '66 when they were made by Ford and not Shelby.

See? Not cool when someone shits on your project, is it? Just because that dude's friend went a different direction with his car doesn't make it better or worse than any other. I could get triple the money for my car if I restored it to stock...if I was going to sell it. Not everyone gives a poo poo about resale value, most people with classic or purpose built cars do it because they enjoy it.

Ultimately no non-moron builds a project car with hopes of making money on the back end. You build what you like and enjoy and hope that if you ever do lose your mind or get in a hard spot and need to sell the car you can get maybe 10% of your "investment" back.

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

frozenphil posted:

Clones are the worst and Shelbys look like poo poo after '66 when they were made by Ford and not Shelby.

See? Not cool when someone shits on your project, is it? Just because that dude's friend went a different direction with his car doesn't make it better or worse than any other. I could get triple the money for my car if I restored it to stock...if I was going to sell it. Not everyone gives a poo poo about resale value, most people with classic or purpose built cars do it because they enjoy it.

Ultimately no non-moron builds a project car with hopes of making money on the back end. You build what you like and enjoy and hope that if you ever do lose your mind or get in a hard spot and need to sell the car you can get maybe 10% of your "investment" back.

I wasn't making GBS threads on it. If you look back I was actually defending it. I like all Mustangs, especially road race prepped.

turnerburna
Jan 11, 2005
Cobra Commander
I think we can all agree that the best Mustang was the 1969 Mach 1 m-code in Calypso Coral

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
Honestly he's not even trying to make money on it. He's put over 50k into that thing believe it or not. But he has a Ferrari to play with now and never has any time to track his mustang so he's trying to sell it. He'd probably let it go for 12k if he liked the person he sells to.

I do agree it's not very pretty and is a bastardization to classic cars but it is what it is.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.
Speaking of the aforementioned Mustang II...I'm trying to sell mine. I'm not having much luck on Craiglist, and the Stupid Questions megathread mentioned posting it on some Mustang forums.

Which particular forums would be a good place to start?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Uziel posted:

Speaking of the aforementioned Mustang II...I'm trying to sell mine. I'm not having much luck on Craiglist, and the Stupid Questions megathread mentioned posting it on some Mustang forums.

Which particular forums would be a good place to start?

Corral.net is your best bet. Vintage-mustang.com is the other.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Dear mustang dudes.

My dad has a 5.0 (old 302, not the new 5.0) in a 1994 mustang. We're running 8 PSI of boost into a completely stock motor with 100k-ish miles using a procharger supercharger.

Needless to say the thing pushes oil out everywhere, but still puts down 300HP on the dyno.

Dad wants to pull the motor, replace it with stroker forged internals.

The car is used for "spectator drags", which is a 1 lap king of the hill bracket race around a local oval. Here's an example of the type of racing: http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=CfPLHM5jo4Q&feature=related

What would be the best/cheapest setup to do. We're not on any kind of timeline, I'm just curious if people had ideas. Cars already got most of the maximum motorsports suspension stuff, a T5 transmission, and 4.10 gears (which really should be 3.73's, but the 275 mickys out back don't slip... yet)

And just for some content, he lets me autocross it, I spend half the time hanging the rear end out just to show up the drift guys, then half the time driving proper and beating my dad in his own car. Thing's a barrel of fun:

It was sprinkling, which is hard to see in the picture, so we had the wipers on.
vvvvvvvv

Slow is Fast fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 22, 2010

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Appears you drifted it so hard the windshield wipers came on..

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Slow is Fast posted:

Dad wants to pull the motor, replace it with stroker forged internals...What would be the best/cheapest setup to do.

If you guys are going to build the engine, DSS makes a great kit for a good price. They also offer shortblocks if you want someone else to build it for you.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

We all knew it was coming eventually, but Ford just released a new supercharger kit for the 5.0

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/23/ford-racing-now-selling-supercharger-that-boosts-new-5-0-liter-v/

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kronix posted:

We all knew it was coming eventually, but Ford just released a new supercharger kit for the 5.0

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/23/ford-racing-now-selling-supercharger-that-boosts-new-5-0-liter-v/

"The base package provides 525 horsepower and 470 pound-feet torque and comes with a 12-month/12,000-mile warranty when installed by a Ford or Lincoln dealer."

Who needs a GT500?

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 23, 2010

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

I personally would want the warranty that comes with the GT500 but at least the supercharger kit puts to rest a lot of rumors that the Coyote was never going to get a Ford approved blower because of it's already high compression ratio.

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

frozenphil posted:

Who needs a GT500?

Will those even go 12,000 miles? :downsrim:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Looks like it's going to be $6900 ($7500 polished) for the 525hp version and $7200 ($7750 polished) for the 624hp version.

Biggest news in my opinion is that the difference between the 525hp version and the 624hp version is 2psi; 7 vs 9. Both version use 93 octane tunes.

Edit: Almost forgot, 50 state legal. Whipple and Ford jumped through the hoops for a CARB EO number. Whipple says their number is good to 12psi too.

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 23, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Double postin in this bitch.

Jake Lamotta's twin turbo 5.0 is on the rollers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqARqDpKD_Q

545rwhp @ 7psi. 60lb injectors, everything else stock. So dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

frozenphil posted:

Looks like it's going to be $6900 ($7500 polished) for the 525hp version and $7200 ($7750 polished) for the 624hp version.

Biggest news in my opinion is that the difference between the 525hp version and the 624hp version is 2psi; 7 vs 9. Both version use 93 octane tunes.

Edit: Almost forgot, 50 state legal. Whipple and Ford jumped through the hoops for a CARB EO number. Whipple says their number is good to 12psi too.

I wonder what the difference is, i.e. if once you are through the 12mo warranty you can just change some code and have 624hp.