Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I just got my Logitech Illuminated from the Best Buy auctions thing posted in Coupons for $20 shipped. I used that program 2 pages back to test the blocking, either my keyboard doesn't have blocking as badly to the extent as you guys or it's really not as bad as you're making out to be. W + A + Shift blocks the spacebar, but I use Control for my rocket jumps in TF2 which doesn't block the space bar. That's the only common key combo I use that I could find blocking on. Really enjoying how both the looks and the typing of this and if that's the only blocking issue then I would consider it $20 well spent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Tomahawk posted:

I just got my Logitech Illuminated from the Best Buy auctions thing posted in Coupons for $20 shipped. I used that program 2 pages back to test the blocking, either my keyboard doesn't have blocking as badly to the extent as you guys or it's really not as bad as you're making out to be. W + A + Shift blocks the spacebar, but I use Control for my rocket jumps in TF2 which doesn't block the space bar. That's the only common key combo I use that I could find blocking on. Really enjoying how both the looks and the typing of this and if that's the only blocking issue then I would consider it $20 well spent.

I think a lot of the people who worry about it's key blocking play WoW or other similar MMOs, where W+A+Shift+space is absolutely necessary to play competitively.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Can anyone who has been playing Starcraft 2 on a logitech tell me how I can set up my macro (g) keys?

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Full Circle posted:

I think a lot of the people who worry about it's key blocking play WoW or other similar MMOs, where W+A+Shift+space is absolutely necessary to play competitively.

That's a pretty common FPS command too. Sprinting forward and to the left while jumping. Maybe I'm playing a bit to tactical v:shobon:v

My Cherry 11900's I picked up on e-Bay for 38 bucks should be here within a week or so, so I get to try out blacks before I buy my Filco. I was going to hunt down cheap blues, but from what I read those are really for RTS players, as you aren't double tapping so much in those, and thats an issue with the way the switch releases and where the actuation point is and OH GOD. Geekhack does a good job really complicating this. Thank god for this thread and Google. I honestly have not been able to use my rubber dome keyboard at all after using my 11800 for roughly 3 or 4 months. I'm forever ruined (spoiled).

Korean Boomhauer fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Aug 16, 2010

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
Hi, I'd like to pay an enormous sum for a keyboard please.

There are however caveats involved...
- Quiet. Very quiet if possible. Noise is number 1 problem with my current keyboard.
- Split keyboard; a la Microsoft Natural. Or at least something that wont make my loving wrists BURN.
- Vertical home/end/page/insert block - it makes sense!:colbert:

Currently using a Microsoft Natural Multimedia keyboard, and as much as I love it, my coworkers bitch and moan about the clackity clack that comes from my desk when I get in the groove.

Betting no one can help me!

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
Razer's getting into the mechanical keyboard game: http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/18/razer-blackwidow-ultimate-mechanical-keyboard-offers-backlit-pr/

could be a good deal. I do miss having a backlit keyboard, since I keep my office dark because I'm a neck beard-y troll who can't take direct sunlight.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

MasterWerk posted:

Razer's getting into the mechanical keyboard game: http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/18/razer-blackwidow-ultimate-mechanical-keyboard-offers-backlit-pr/

could be a good deal. I do miss having a backlit keyboard, since I keep my office dark because I'm a neck beard-y troll who can't take direct sunlight.

I really can't stand any razor products, the lights are just plain distracting and I can do without a ton of LEDs or shiny plastic.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I still use the Logitech Internet Navigator keyboard, but it is no longer supported under Windows 7 for all the extra buttons. Are there any new keyboards out these days that have a scroll wheel on the left hand side? I use that a lot, and would really miss it.
It has programmable buttons on it that are dead under Windows 7, but I don't expect any driver updates to support it fully.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
That razer looks a little gimmicky, but perhaps more worrying is that they say the key activation trigger is halfway through the travel. Why bother with a mechanical keyswitch if you're going to implement rubber dome deficiencies?

And it has no media keys which sucks for a "gaming" keyboard.

very
Jan 25, 2005

I err on the side of handsome.

~Coxy posted:

That razer looks a little gimmicky, but perhaps more worrying is that they say the key activation trigger is halfway through the travel. Why bother with a mechanical keyswitch if you're going to implement rubber dome deficiencies?

And it has no media keys which sucks for a "gaming" keyboard.

Cherry switches all actuate at about halfway.

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~
I wonder which switches are in the Razer, I want a cherry brown (or equally light activation) that is wireless :(

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Randuin posted:

I wonder which switches are in the Razer, I want a cherry brown (or equally light activation) that is wireless :(
I'll bet :10bux: on Cherry MX blacks. I highly doubt they will offer brown/blue/red options.

Jiblet posted:

There are however caveats involved...
- Quiet. Very quiet if possible. Noise is number 1 problem with my current keyboard.
- Split keyboard; a la Microsoft Natural. Or at least something that wont make my loving wrists BURN.
- Vertical home/end/page/insert block - it makes sense!:colbert:

Currently using a Microsoft Natural Multimedia keyboard, and as much as I love it, my coworkers bitch and moan about the clackity clack that comes from my desk when I get in the groove.

Betting no one can help me!
The Logitech Wave is a better keyboard for this. Then put it on top of one of those giant padded mouse pads.

For quiet, this is as quiet as you're going to get, so if that's still loud, try taking some depressants and settle down a bit. :)

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

EnergizerFellow posted:

I'll bet :10bux: on Cherry MX blacks. I highly doubt they will offer brown/blue/red options.

The Logitech Wave is a better keyboard for this. Then put it on top of one of those giant padded mouse pads.

For quiet, this is as quiet as you're going to get, so if that's still loud, try taking some depressants and settle down a bit. :)

But isnt the wave a steaming pile of mushy poo poo?
And are you suggesting I drink on the job? ;)

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~

EnergizerFellow posted:

But they're claiming 50g? That's pretty cherry brown levels

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

Geekhack is speculating blues, but no one knows yet, razer has been all over the place with what they are saying about it.

very
Jan 25, 2005

I err on the side of handsome.
"Launched today over at Gamescom, these two keyboards offer key actuation that feels much like a mouse click, with an actuation point that's actually halfway through the full travel distance."

I'm guessing it'll have blue knock-offs for that price.

Myall
Jan 9, 2010

I was wondering it someone could help me out.

I currently have a rather crappy Dell OEM keyboard, and in order to combat my slowly developing (suspected) carpal tunnel I've decided to buy a new keyboard. I've been looking about and I was thinking about the Microsoft Natural Ergonomics 4000 (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=043), but for the kind of money that sells for I could get a Model M or a Customizer. Although from what I've read around the internet is that some people find mechanical switches to be rather tiring (because of the force it takes to press each key). Having not used one for a few years, I can't say I really remember what it's like to type on a mechanical board.

So I'd like to hear if anyone else out there has carpal tunnel, what keyboard do you recommend for the job?

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Zaraphrax posted:

I was wondering it someone could help me out.

I currently have a rather crappy Dell OEM keyboard, and in order to combat my slowly developing (suspected) carpal tunnel I've decided to buy a new keyboard. I've been looking about and I was thinking about the Microsoft Natural Ergonomics 4000 (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=043), but for the kind of money that sells for I could get a Model M or a Customizer. Although from what I've read around the internet is that some people find mechanical switches to be rather tiring (because of the force it takes to press each key). Having not used one for a few years, I can't say I really remember what it's like to type on a mechanical board.

So I'd like to hear if anyone else out there has carpal tunnel, what keyboard do you recommend for the job?

I don't have carpal tunnel, but I have broken a metacarpal, and had a long in depth discussion with an orthopedic surgeon about using keyboards for longer periods of time. From what he told me, and my own experience with others who've had carpal tunnel, I'd say that the ergo keyboard is "nice" but isn't worth the money from my experience. It has an odd feel to it and it's very odd and clunky if you're performing any sort of "informal" keyboarding activities (such as gaming).
On the keyboards; having grown up with several of those Microsoft Ergonomic keyboards, due to my mother's arthritis, I can safely say that it does next to nothing to ease that pain and discomfort on it's own.
Probably the best thing you can do to prevent/cure/treat carpal tunnel is to stretch your hands and forearms regularly. Cited.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
Utterly anecdotal but my wrists feel like they're burning after an hour on a normally laid out keyboard. I much prefer split ergo ones. (MS Natural Multimedia atm)

That said... The thing that made the most difference was getting a decent mouse. I have ridiculously massive farmer hands, and so I find the logitech MX1000 (of which I have 4!) really helps support my whole hand, so that i move more at the elbow than the wrist.

Im not a doctor, but I am a giant geek who spends endless hours using both keyboard and mouse (and trackIR but thats for a different thread). Cant say that I've tried diluting my ergo keyboards yet though....

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Jiblet posted:

But isnt the wave a steaming pile of mushy poo poo?

This is what i was going to ask. My current Logitech mouse/keyboard combo are getting quite old now (5 to 6 years give or take) and the mouse is starting to heavilly give out. It drains the batteries like nobodys business, it won't charge in the charge station and the buttons are starting to not work properly.

I was considering just buying a new mouse seeing as the keyboard still works properly and like like the resistance of the keys on it. They're not too clicky and they're not annoying mushy softness. But i figure, if i'm getting a new mouse, i might as well get a new keyboard along with it, especially if it means new signal recievers and whatever.

So i've been looking at the Desktop Wave Pro seen here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Cordless-Desktop-Wave-PRO/dp/B001EWXX6G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1282329418&sr=8-2

Do any of you have this particular keyboard/mouse combo and is it as good as all of the reviews are making it out to be?

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Kin posted:

it won't charge in the charge station and the buttons are starting to not work properly.

Try cleaning the connections on the mouse and charger... worked for me!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Jiblet posted:

Try cleaning the connections on the mouse and charger... worked for me!

Done that, they're pretty clean, i just think the connections are hosed from overuse. The only time i'm able to get it to get it to charge is when i add a little moisture to them.

The mouse is more or less done anyway, sometimes right click doesn't work; sometimes when i hold the left mouse button down it'll think i'm rapidly clicking it making dragging and dropping a pain in the arse.

Myall
Jan 9, 2010

Illuminado posted:

I don't have carpal tunnel, but I have broken a metacarpal, and had a long in depth discussion with an orthopedic surgeon about using keyboards for longer periods of time. From what he told me, and my own experience with others who've had carpal tunnel, I'd say that the ergo keyboard is "nice" but isn't worth the money from my experience. It has an odd feel to it and it's very odd and clunky if you're performing any sort of "informal" keyboarding activities (such as gaming).
On the keyboards; having grown up with several of those Microsoft Ergonomic keyboards, due to my mother's arthritis, I can safely say that it does next to nothing to ease that pain and discomfort on it's own.
Probably the best thing you can do to prevent/cure/treat carpal tunnel is to stretch your hands and forearms regularly. Cited.

Thanks. It has been recommended though, in addition to the stretching etc to use a natural keyboard. I've only just started typing on this keyboard again, and this week it's been absolutely awful, so I'm putting it down to that. I might see if I can borrow an ergonomic board from someone for a while to see if it's any better. But yeah, I had heard mixed info regarding how effective it is. Some people swear by them, others reckon it makes no difference at all.

Oh and PS - I switched to a trackball mouse last year, and haven't really had any trouble with sore wrists up until just now. So I'm not sure what's going on. I've spent most of the weekend away from the keyboard, so it's been good since today my arms don't hurt as much.

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

Lord of the Waffles posted:

Those Filco boards look really nice, but I wasn't too keen on the price.

Neither was I, until I actually took the plunge and bought one. They are well worth it. They're AMAZING.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Right now im using the Microsoft Media 3000 keyboard and its driving me nuts. The keys are way too flat for my liking and they didnt have the feel of those stock dell keyboards that are like 10$ from them. Im thinking of investing in a keyboard for around 50$.There are some nice examples here, though im surprised cherry switches are hard to come by. I guess im looking for a gamer keyboard, because I like the extra functions and buttons, things that usually make life easier. Problem is, if its flat key'd and rubber domed like this keyboard, its a no-go. I want something that feels alot more responsive and generally more enjoyable to use.

Problem is that we only have an Office Depot and a Best Buy, (even though they're 30 miles away) and most of their keyboard selections are consisted of ultraportables, wireless, or Microsoft ergo keyboards. Almost all of them share the flat key'd design and it drives me nuts. Our town is very backwards when it comes to technology so you'll be hard pressed to find an independent store that sells keyboards here.

Im just looking for a place where I can try out a keyboard on display, and since CompUSA and Circuit City have kicked the bucket im stuck with Bestbuy and Office Depot.

Ideas for this whole predicament?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I ended up getting thre logitech wave pro keyboard and mouse set and while the thing feels awesome, when i was playing a game yesterday i noticed that the connection would drop between the keyboard (and sometimes the mouse) and the reciever. I know that another goon has had a similar problem, has anyone else in here come across that?

Lumb
Jun 29, 2007
Any thoughts about this for gaming? Specifically starcraft 2.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Laptop keys and half-height Function keys generally means that it'll be terrible for games, especially RTSes.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

Ohio State BOOniversity fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 28, 2015

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

kalleth posted:

Neither was I, until I actually took the plunge and bought one. They are well worth it. They're AMAZING.

But there aren't any Filcos with Spanish layout right? At least I couldn't see them on their web.

Lord of the Waffles
Dec 22, 2008

Land of buttermilk and honey.

kalleth posted:

Well, I did end up going for the Microsoft X4. It works fine, and it feels nice and solid enough to type on to me. Backlighting is bright, but not overbearing. My biggest gripe is that the MS keyboard software only lets you use the play/pause/next/back media keys for WMP. If you disable it, then it will work for foobar, but at the same time your macro keys are disabled, so it's a catch-22. All the other keys work fine, though. Definitely a nice step up from my $15 Logitech basic keyboard. Also, no ghosting like my old board in TF2 or any other games (as far as I can tell). I can't imagine I'd get much more out of say, a G110, having used a G11 for a while. All in all, for $40, I am pleased.

My next board will probably be a Filco, though, I'm sure.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

So I was looking at the Logitech G110 keyboard and it just seems to be a G19 without the fancy screen. Is this worth considering or is it really just a lovely keyboard with a similar outside appearance?

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

Tesseraction posted:

So I was looking at the Logitech G110 keyboard and it just seems to be a G19 without the fancy screen. Is this worth considering or is it really just a lovely keyboard with a similar outside appearance?

Feels fine to me, keys aren't very stiff. It looks like a pretty normal keyboard once you turn the LEDs off so you won't be ashamed of it when people come over. I chose it due to the aforementioned style and not needing a screen, but I also benefit from the sound card since my proper one has trouble with the mic level in comm programs.

Stormy the Rabbit
Sep 16, 2008

5 more minutes of this and I'm gonna get mad!
I'm looking at getting a new keyboard. It will mostly be for gaming and general typing. Ideally I'd like mechanical switches, and I'm not looking for any special macro features that most gaming keyboards come with.

On this note, I'm looking at a Steelseries 7g. I like the simple design, and the reviews sound promising. However, does anyone have any other/better suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

Stormy the Rabbit posted:

I'm looking at getting a new keyboard. It will mostly be for gaming and general typing. Ideally I'd like mechanical switches, and I'm not looking for any special macro features that most gaming keyboards come with.

On this note, I'm looking at a Steelseries 7g. I like the simple design, and the reviews sound promising. However, does anyone have any other/better suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

I think the new Razer is the answer for you.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Billa posted:

I think the new Razer is the answer for you.

I hope they change the shininess to the materials, it looks like it could really, really get messy with fingerprints and oil. I got links to other forums that have TONS of recent info and discussion on "Beginner" enthusiast/quality keyboards. Im not sure if it means a ban, I dont know the linking policy here.

Anyways, im split between the standard Razer, or the slightly ricer LED key'd one. Ugh!

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

Avocadoes posted:

I hope they change the shininess to the materials, it looks like it could really, really get messy with fingerprints and oil. I got links to other forums that have TONS of recent info and discussion on "Beginner" enthusiast/quality keyboards. Im not sure if it means a ban, I dont know the linking policy here.

Anyways, im split between the standard Razer, or the slightly ricer LED key'd one. Ugh!

My idea is to purchase the standard one. Looks good enough and I don't need the features offered by the other model.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
Jesus christ, $50 to basically add some LED lights. If the switches they use are decent clones of MX blues, the 80 dollar one seems worth it, the 130 dollar one, not so much.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Jesus christ, $50 to basically add some LED lights. If the switches they use are decent clones of MX blues, the 80 dollar one seems worth it, the 130 dollar one, not so much.

If I'm not mistaken I read somewhere that they actually use Cherry Switches, but I can't remember which ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Billa posted:

If I'm not mistaken I read somewhere that they actually use Cherry Switches, but I can't remember which ones.

These people, in this forum in general have a board dedicated to keyboards.
And I think your right, as of this link http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=11146
21 pages of discussion on one keyboard, now that's true dedication :911:

• Locked thread