Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Get Settlers 2 10th Anniversary Edition, it's the best. It's just a 3D remake of Settlers 2, but it's a good one and Settlers 2 gameplay still holds up to this day.

Thanks, I'll see if I can find a copy somewhere (nuts, it's not abandonware).

Man, I remember playing this when it was called Serf City, I was surprised as all hell when the game I had so much fun with actually had sequels, albeit with a different name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Company of Heroes. It's absolutely amazing, and the Online release will be coming out very soon.
------------------------------
lifeingames.wordpress.com

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

peteyfoot posted:

I'm looking for something easy to pick up / put down with a lot of replayability for when my internet goes down. I'd just go for a vertical shooter but I want to make use of widescreen. Any ideas?

Have you ever played Zuma's Revenge? It's incredibly casual and incredibly addictive. And it's very good, considering how simple the concept is. Levels last probably 1:30 to 3 minutes a piece and the game auto-saves your progress after every level or when you quit in the middle of a level so you never have to manually save, so it's definitely something you can just pick up and put down again really easily. Also, the main Adventure Mode actually has a really well designed difficulty curve.

And if you don't want to play through Adventure Mode, there are a ton of very well organized individual challenge levels at all difficulties.

And even though the concept is simple, the gameplay just doesn't get old, probably because of how well the difficulty settings are managed. You'll always be challenged.

Get Zuma's Revenge.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
I just got a DS and the only game I have is Pokemon Heartgold, so basically recommend me any good game on the DS you think I should try, I haven't really tried anything.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

I just got a DS and the only game I have is Pokemon Heartgold, so basically recommend me any good game on the DS you think I should try, I haven't really tried anything.

Well I'd break it down into a few types of game.

One: Word-dominated adventure games. Namely, Phoenix Wright series (which has a huge thread on here that shouldn't be too hard to find) and Hotel Dusk. The first PW game might be kind of hard to find on shelves, I haven't had to look for years thankfully. If you enjoy reading hilarious dialogue and figuring out absurd ways to murder people, this is the best game franchise ever. Hotel Dusk on the other hand is more puzzle-oriented but has an extremely cool aesthetic quality and an interesting story. Not games that the average person will play more than once or twice, but I revisit them all the time.

Two: Castlevania Games. Seriously, there are 3 of them and if you enjoyed SotN I'd say you should pick up at least the first game, Dawn of Sorrow, and the most recent one, Order of Ecclesia. Explore dungeons, collect loot, kill bosses, explore dungeons some more, repeat.

Three: Meteos. If you can find this and you like puzzle games, it's an absolute must own. Drag small rocks to bottom of screen, make lines, watch them create rocket ships and launch stacks above off the screen, chain while in the air for more points.

I'm sure that more than 1000 other games will get listed here because we goons love our DSes but these are some very popular ones and my personal favorites.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

What do you like? Is there a particular genre you enjoy? If I just listed all the good games on the DS we'd be here quite a while.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Barudak posted:

What do you like? Is there a particular genre you enjoy? If I just listed all the good games on the DS we'd be here quite a while.

I'm not too crazy about sports/racing games unless they are especially good. For handhelds I mostly like RPGs or Zelda like or action/adventure games.

quote:

Two: Castlevania Games. Seriously, there are 3 of them and if you enjoyed SotN I'd say you should pick up at least the first game, Dawn of Sorrow, and the most recent one, Order of Ecclesia. Explore dungeons, collect loot, kill bosses, explore dungeons some more, repeat.

SOTN is one of my favorite videogame ever, and I was looking at these but ended up with something I knew I'd like, I'll pick one or two of them up next time.

One thing I don't like is the gimmicky games that require you to use the microphone or stylus all the time (except Phoenix Wright, my friend keeps telling me I'd love them and they really do look interesting)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

One thing I don't like is the gimmicky games that require you to use the microphone or stylus all the time (except Phoenix Wright, my friend keeps telling me I'd love them and they really do look interesting)

You never have to use the stylus if you don't want to in Phoenix Wright, it just makes everything faster.

As for other games; Zelda: Spirit Tracks just came out, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey is basically much tougher Pokemon, all the Castlevanias are good choices but be warned Dawn of Sorrow uses the stylus in a rare but intrusive way, and FFIV got a DS remake but its quite difficult and demands guide use for best results.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm not too crazy about sports/racing games unless they are especially good. For handhelds I mostly like RPGs or Zelda like or action/adventure games.

SOTN is one of my favorite videogame ever, and I was looking at these but ended up with something I knew I'd like, I'll pick one or two of them up next time.

Dawn of Sorrow is the game that's most like SOTN out of the DS Castlevania games, and it's pretty good. There's a mountain of DS RPGs that are at least decent. The best are probably Final Fantasy 4, Dragon Quest 5, Dragon Quest 9, The World Ends With You, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor, and Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. All of these are fantastic games. Of them, only The World Ends Wtih You relies heavily on touchscreen controls, but it's still pretty well done.

Other DS RPGs that are good but not excellent are Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, Etrian Odyssey 1 and 2, the other FF and DQ remakes, Infinite Space, Final Fantasy Tactics A2, Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, Knights in the Nightmare, Shiren the Wanderer, Luminous Arc, and probably more I can't remember.

There are a LOT of DS RPGs, so you picked the right system if you're into them, I guess. Of these, I really heavily recommend Dragon Quest 9 and Bowser's Inside Story, they're really good.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Are there any good diablo-ish games out there, other than Diablo and Torchlight? I'm looking for something that has randomised loot, co-op play (preferably pick up and play rather than needing to organise it), and probably a fair bit of replay value.

I'm a huge Borderlands fan, and I WOULD love Torchlight and Diablo if I didn't find the mouse controls quite so fiddly. I can (and am) getting used to them though. I also like Roguelikes, since they're pretty much just permadeath Diablo-style games anyway.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well, Diablo 1 was originally a roguelike before they made it real-time, so the similarities are there for a reason. You're not going to get rid of the mouse controls, they're integral to the genre and have barely changed simply because they work so well. I don't know what you find fiddly about it, but this is kind of like playing half life, and saying "well, if only they could come up with a better system than wasd+mouselook." You'll get used to them.

As for other games, get Titan Quest. It has a couple downsides, first being that the maps aren't randomly generated. But the game is so long, this is barely an issue because you'll have forgotten things by the time you want to do a repeat playthrough, and the hand made maps are well designed. The other downside is that class balance can be an issue, but less so when playing co-op and you can make up for others' weaknesses.

The rest of the game is really awesome. Tons of enemies on screen, hilarious rag-doll physics combined with satisfying attack animations, really well designed loot system (especially with the expansion, which is what you should play with), it's long, it's addictive, and the co-op is a blast when playing with friends. Titan Quest is awesome, and Titan Quest Gold is $20 on Steam. Start it via Immortal Throne to get all of its features in the whole game.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I really like Bioware games where you interact with NPCs and choose your own path to some greater or lesser extent, but I've played pretty much every Bioware title, any similar games to recommend?

Games I've played / liked include:

Dragon Age
KotOR 1/2
Mass Effect 1/2
-and outside Bioware-
Oblivion
Morrowwind 3
Fallout 3

edit: occurred to me I should mention I play primarily PC games, I have a 360 for exceptional console games, but PC preferred.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Sinking Ship posted:

I really like Bioware games where you interact with NPCs and choose your own path to some greater or lesser extent, but I've played pretty much every Bioware title, any similar games to recommend?

Dragon Age
KotOR 1/2
Mass Effect 1/2
-and outside Bioware-
Oblivion
Morrowwind 3
Fallout 3

edit: occurred to me I should mention I play primarily PC games, I have a 360 for exceptional console games, but PC preferred.

Have you played Alpha Protocol? gently caress the haters, AP owns and has huge branching storyline possibilities.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Sinking Ship posted:

Dragon Age
KotOR 1/2
Mass Effect 1/2
-and outside Bioware-
Oblivion
Morrowwind 3
Fallout 3

Divinity 2 has a bit of character interaction, it's a cool game. I feel like this is like the third time I've recommended it in this thread

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Sinking Ship posted:

Dragon Age
KotOR 1/2
Mass Effect 1/2
-and outside Bioware-
Oblivion
Morrowwind 3
Fallout 3

I'll throw in a recommendation I got. You might want to try Neverwinter Nights 2 and it's expansion Mask of the Betrayer. Especially MoTB has a lot of player choices that actually have an impact on the story it also has a Dragon Age style NPC "How much I like you" meter and NPC reactions to stuff you do.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Personally I really liked Neverwinter Nights 2 but everything about it was improved in Dragon Age. Dragon Age to me is basically Neverwinter Nights 3.

Splash Damage
May 23, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Puzzle Quest 2.

Craeb Maet
Apr 24, 2007
I pinch.
I was looking at getting Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2. Is this preferred over the first one? I don't really care about the online community in either so basically just asking which is better?

The new Lara Croft game from xbla reminded me of it.

Also any other recommendations on types of games like these? I like leveling up and unlocking stuff beat'em ups like these any genre really.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Having a really, really hard time finding new games for me and some friends to play. Really any genre works we play it all. They are mostly old games that we can play over Hamachi or in some way get to work, like Risk II, Starcraft, Pokemon red/blue/yellow that we then battled with, Halo 2, and Age of Empires II are the most recently played. So yeah, basically asking for some games we can play over Hamachi, or even games like minecraft, space station 13 (gently caress that shits to hard) etc that are just "underground".

E: Deer Hunter 2005 also was a good one.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 19, 2010

Astro Cake
May 27, 2010

I love you, strawberry milk.
I really want to play a Harvest Moon game but I don't know which one to play. Is there any one in particular that's good as an introduction to the series?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Astro Cake posted:

I really want to play a Harvest Moon game but I don't know which one to play. Is there any one in particular that's good as an introduction to the series?

The first one for the SNES, it's really fun, charming, has all the basic gameplay elements that the rest of the series only expanded on (and in many instances, hosed them up big time).

Bastard Man
Nov 15, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Astro Cake posted:

Only played like 4, but my favorite was A Wonderful Life on the Gamecube, haven't played that in years so don't remember too much, but you start off as a kid and go through the characters life, I may be wrong, but I think you also play as his son after too. Shouldn't be too hard to find more information on it.

Tommy Callahan
Sep 17, 2008

OH MY GOD! WE'RE BURNING ALIVE!
The only PSP game that ever kept my interest was God Of War. Keep in mind, I've only tried a few games, but what is a game that's similar to GOW for the PSP?

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
My personal favorite Harvest Moon game is Rune Factory Harvest Moon 2. It's kind of a blend of dungeon crawling and monster battling and the traditional farming sim. You can go into dungeons to clear out monsters and then tend the plots inside the caves (which all have varying conditions based on the seasons, but stay constant throughout the year.)

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
Hey, KOTOR 2 isn't Bioware! :mad: it was developed by Obsidian. They've also done Alpha Protocol, Neverwinter Nights 2, and NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer since then, all of which have been recommended and are pretty great (except NWN2 drags a lot in the beginning). Fallout: New Vegas is coming out soon, too, so you might want to try that.

I'd also like to recommend Vampire: Bloodlines and Arcanum - both are pretty nonlinear in gameplay and dialogue, and definitely worth a try. You should check out the Vampire thread that's been running for years. They can hook you up with fan patches and stuff.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I am looking for the most 'rpg' racing game. One where you can save up/grind money and buy parts and min-max stats and all that jazz.

Doesn't matter if it's circuit or street or whatever. Just looking for hot, hot autoparts spreadsheet action.

PC would presumably be the most likely platform, but I have a PS3, 360, and DS as well.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

I am looking for the most 'rpg' racing game. One where you can save up/grind money and buy parts and min-max stats and all that jazz.

Doesn't matter if it's circuit or street or whatever. Just looking for hot, hot autoparts spreadsheet action.

PC would presumably be the most likely platform, but I have a PS3, 360, and DS as well.

Forza III you level up in both individual cars, brands, and overall quality in addition to pimping up a variety of cars for a variety of races.

If you want a true RPG I'll search for it but there was an RPG racing game where races gave you XP you spent on improving yourself (you are the car).

Cholfo
Sep 16, 2007
I'm looking for some games to play on my laptop to blow time while sitting around between classes this semester. My schedule's wonky and I've got a few multi-hour gaps. I'm mostly looking either for something arcadey and adventurey, like Cave Story and Spelunky, both of which I have sunk quite a bit of time into, or something strategic/dungeony, like Betrayal at Krondor/Antara. A new roguelike to spend time on other than Nethack and Crawl would also be nice.

I don't care how old the game is or whether or not it's free or anything like that, but a game that requires minimal twitch-based mouse interaction would be preferable. My USB mouse died and I won't be able to get another one for a while. I can still make my way around a game of X-COM, for example, but Half Life is out of the question. Thanks.

vv--Forgot to mention that one, I've beaten it pretty much six ways to Sunday.

Cholfo fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 22, 2010

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Cholfo posted:

I'm looking for some games to play on my laptop to blow time while sitting around between classes this semester.

Desktop Dungeons is a roguelike with an average play length of 10 minutes.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Cholfo posted:

something arcadey and adventurey

Nifflas' games. The only one I've put a substantial amount of time into is Within a Deep Forest, but I think they're all some permutation of action/adventure. I'm eager to try FinCK as soon as I've cleared some of my backlog, as I was/am a huge fan of Mario 2.

There's also La-Mulana, but if you've played Cave Story and Spelunky, I assume you've already heard of it/played it.

Cholfo
Sep 16, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

Nifflas' games. The only one I've put a substantial amount of time into is Within a Deep Forest, but I think they're all some permutation of action/adventure. I'm eager to try FinCK as soon as I've cleared some of my backlog, as I was/am a huge fan of Mario 2.

There's also La-Mulana, but if you've played Cave Story and Spelunky, I assume you've already heard of it/played it.

Yep, I've played through Within a Deep Forest, and poked around with Knytt Stories, but they didn't quite feel right to me. I think it may have just been the art direction, I'm not particularly a fan. Definitely up the right alley, though.

And yeah, I've played La-Mulana. Pretty fun game, little bit floaty on the controls for my taste, but also a good fit. Mario 2 reminds me that I could probably play through Zelda 2 again, I think it's is a fun game.

Count Mippipopolous
Apr 10, 2008

I want a game that lets me be a mad scientist doing mad scientist things. Making robots and releasing giant bugs and such.

Please tell me a game like this exists.

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

Count Mippipopolous posted:

I want a game that lets me be a mad scientist doing mad scientist things. Making robots and releasing giant bugs and such.

I can't think of a game where you actually get to be a mad scientist but a great game about the family of a mad scientist would definitely be Day of the Tentacle, although it is a point and click adventure game and really old.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Before my new computer gets here, I'll be stuck using this 5 year old, 512 mb ram laptop for quite a while. And I happen to feel like playing an RPG to kill the time, so I need a good one that can run in this piece of poo poo and last me a good while. Note that I've played Baldur's Gate 1/2, Fallout 1/2, Deus Ex, Daggerfall, and a few others I forgot to mention.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Thwack! posted:

Before my new computer gets here, I'll be stuck using this 5 year old, 512 mb ram laptop for quite a while. And I happen to feel like playing an RPG to kill the time, so I need a good one that can run in this piece of poo poo and last me a good while. Note that I've played Baldur's Gate 1/2, Fallout 1/2, Deus Ex, Daggerfall, and a few others I forgot to mention.

Divine Divinity? I haven't played it but I've heard good things and it's on gog

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

Count Mippipopolous posted:

Have you ever played Evil Genius?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_Genius_%28video_game%29
http://www.evilplanet.com/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/3720/

It's $10 on Steam. You don't play a mad scientist per se, but you do play an evil genius. You build a base, have traps, hire personnel, kill good guys that try to infiltrate your base, etc.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Thwack! posted:

Have you tried any of the other Infinity Engine games? Planescape: Torment has a good story and awesome characters and Icewind Dale 1 and 2 are fun dungeon crawler type things (really light on the story side though).

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thwack! posted:

Space Rangers 2 is addictive as all get-out if you like a little space zappy mixed in your rpgs. Also, you can grab Exult and play Ultima 7 with all the modern conveniences.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Alright, I have an idea of a game I want to play but probably doesn't exist: A single-session, multiplayer, bite-size coop rpg. Like a one-off dungeon crawl or short adventure, everyone picks a class, starts at level zero, and upgrades stats and loot throughout the game. I have in mind something like the old board game Hero Quest or even a short tabletop D&D adventure but in videogame form.

Anything like that out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Danger Mahoney posted:

Alright, I have an idea of a game I want to play but probably doesn't exist: A single-session, multiplayer, bite-size coop rpg. Like a one-off dungeon crawl or short adventure, everyone picks a class, starts at level zero, and upgrades stats and loot throughout the game. I have in mind something like the old board game Hero Quest or even a short tabletop D&D adventure but in videogame form.

Anything like that out there?
There are probably downloadable modules for Neverwinter Nights or NWN2 that do just that. Actually, if you're so inclined you can make them yourself in the editor. There might also be similar games I don't know about, but that's a good starting point.